• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Street Fighter in the RE Engine?

Do you want a Street Fighter game using the RE engine?

• Total voters

Labolas

Would you guys like to see a Street Fighter game using the RE Engine? While I do think the new engine looks great, I'm not the biggest fan of it. I would prefer Capcom to use a new engine for their fighting games and use the RE Engine for their horror/action games. Plus, I think it would be kinda lazy of Capcom to use this engine again for another game. I bring this subject up because Capcom has gotten back in the good graces with everyone with the releases of RE 7, RE 2 Remake and DMC 5. All of which uses the RE Engine. If Street Fighter goes down the same road, would you be for it?

Ian Henry

I would prefer if they use it for a new 3D Fighting or hell even a Beat Em Up game. However, they could integrate the engine for Street Fighter VI. Would be interesting.

I would like to see Capcom Panta Rhei engine for next gen, also they already stated that a more cartoony look fits SF franchise better, they already tryed it in intern.

ookami

YES PLEASE.... PLEASE CAPCOM DO IT!! :messenger_open_mouth:

Launch to the Garbage the Horripilant and Disgusting MT Framework!!!
Um... They were already using a fully new engine written from scratch for SFIV then Unreal for SFV.

I would like to see Capcom Panta Rhei engine for next gen, also they already stated that a more cartoony look fits SF franchise better, they already tryed it in intern.
in my opinion, the Panta Rhei is no more. I wonder if most of its features are now part of the RE Engine.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
A hyper-realistic Street Fighter might be just the shot in the arm the series needs.
Photogrammetry is a great tech and I would love to see them give it a shot. A 1 vs. 1 arena fighting game is where Capcom could really let their artists run wild and could be a real technical showcase. In fairness, fighting games haven't really impressed from a technical point of view in the last decade.

If they go this direction, I just hope they ramp up their collision detection scheme to allow for correct collision of limbs against objects such as clothes, scenery and other characters so that there is absolutely no unintended clipping.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
No. Will never happen, but I want Capcom to hire ARC to do the artwork for SF6. Move away from the realism and get back to the stylized anime stuff - ARC would absolutely kill it. Imagine a SF game using XRD's graphics engine.

GrayFoxPL

I'll say it: RE engine faces creep me the fuck out.

Even freakier Ken face?

5UH4u6n.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think anyone want to see hyper realistic characters in SF games, especially the fact the animations in thats series always been very exaggerated, unless you want to see be similar to MK games with very realistic faces and visuals but very stiff and robotic animations.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ITT lots of people confusing game engine with art direction.
True, I was one of those people who assumed UE engine was always for realistic graphics but games Guilty Gear, DBZfigters proved me wrong. Actually we start seeing more Japanese developers using that engine for stylize graphics.

Mista

Banned
Don’t think the RE Engine is gonna work well for SF. The last thing people wants is a fighting game looking real

Yumi

I just want it to have 60fps animations in the background. RE engine looks killer, but dont know how well it would translate to super stylized graphics.

NikuNashi

No. I want Street Fighter 6 to get away from the 3d look and go in the direction of Guilty Gear/Dragon Ball Z with the cell shaded 3d characters. I want something different, something new and exciting. V was way too close to IV visually for me.

Aranea

I wouldn't like Street Fighter to go the ultra realistic format and i'm pretty sure NRS fans wouldn't like Mortal Kombat adopting an anime art style on their next game. I remember reading an interview that Street Fighter V would be an ultra realistic game, but they later changed plans as the game did not feel like a Street Fighter game. Here's some of the screenshots or well concept art.

29_sfreal01.jpg

29_sfreal02.jpg

No. Will never happen, but I want Capcom to hire ARC to do the artwork for SF6. Move away from the realism and get back to the stylized anime stuff - ARC would absolutely kill it. Imagine a SF game using XRD's graphics engine.

While I really do like Arc's style. Capcom has always outclassed them when it comes to animation. Some of the animations in SFV look incredible. Where as Arc's games just dont have the same fluid animation.

My pipe dream would be another game with hand drawn sprites like 3rd Strike. That game is still the best looking fighter to me.

Realistically, I just want the game to have as little input lag as possible. So whichever engine can facilitate that.

Caffeine

I wouldn't like Street Fighter to go the ultra realistic format and i'm pretty sure NRS fans wouldn't like Mortal Kombat adopting an anime art style on their next game. I remember reading an interview that Street Fighter V would be an ultra realistic game, but they later changed plans as the game did not feel like a Street Fighter game. Here's some of the screenshots or well concept art.

29_sfreal01.jpg

29_sfreal02.jpg
it looks like tekken lol, actually gives street fighter ex vibes also.

Nymphae

Banned
While I really do like Arc's style. Capcom has always outclassed them when it comes to animation. Some of the animations in SFV look incredible. Where as Arc's games just dont have the same fluid animation.

That is sort of exactly what they are going for though and it recreates the look of anime rather well, this is the video I watched that summarizes some of a GDC talk about Arc's approach with their style. The new GG looks like it's straying from that approach and going for fluid animations which also looks rather good.

I actually wouldn’t mind slightly more realistic looking models. I think it would be an interesting change for SF if handled properly. Besides, so many 2d fighting games use anime, celshaded or cartoon style to the point where it’s getting kind of hard for me to distinguish them from each other.

Maybe make it look like a hybrid of Tekken/DOA/SC and SF5 with a dash of anime. Not ultra realistic like Mortal Kombat or Injustice, but in between those games I listed would be cool I think. SF5 models for the most part looks good excluding most of the hair textures and huge feet/hands.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm happy to see they cancelled that realistic SFV prototype because it looked awful and generic. And M.Bison redesign was horrible.

Capcom needs to keep his Street Fighter anime-ish art style for the SF series. It's part of its brand style. I don't care if they do it with RE Engine, Unreal Engine or anything else, but they need to keep an art style that remembers SF2, SF3, SF Alpha or the animated Street Fighter II Movie. Realistic style it's a better fit for other games like MK or Tekken but not SF.

My favorite choice would be to achieve an anime celshading level seen in DBFZ or the next Guilty Gear but with this style:
tumblr_o1ku6lTn1q1tzqospo1_400.gif

source.gif

aa357ba5b47e050a80e2900d81b688361469569275_full.jpg

Considering they have been using UE4, for them it would be better to keep UE now that they fixed the input lag issue that the engine had. UE has some additional perks like supporting more platforms, saving some from in Capcom's side, being easier and faster to work for outsourcing companies (Capcom hired over 20 in SFIV or SFV series).

But in any case, if they want to continue with the SFV artstyle but adding better lighting effects and textures, and higher polycount (specially for background NPC characters) it would be ok for me.

Last edited:

ookami

My favorite choice would be to achieve an anime celshading level seen in DBFZ or the next Guilty Gear but with this style:
For me, nothing beats Street Fighter Alpha if we have to choose an SF anime. If not I'd be happy with enhanced third strike sprites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom