• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Twisted Metal is in early development [Jeff Grubb + VGC]

Papacheeks

Banned

A new Twisted Metal is in development ‘to coincide with the TV series’, it’s claimed​

JOURNALIST CLAIMS A NEW SERIES ENTRY IS IN THE WORKS, CORROBORATING VGC’S OWN SOURCES.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is planning to revive the Twisted Metal series to coincide with its upcoming television adaptation, it’s been claimed.

That’s according to GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb, and matches what VGC has heard from its own sources.

Grubb said on his latest Giant Bomb video show (paywall) that he’d heard a revival of the car combat game was in early development and represented a broadening of Sony’s first-party games strategy to synergise with its movie and television projects.

“I think Twisted Metal is in the works but it may still be a ways off, so I think we’re early,” Grubb said. “That speaks to a larger strategy shift from Sony – well, it’s not even a shift, it’s a ‘broadening’ of their strategy.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's surprising to me that they would go all in on this franchise like this. Wasn't the last game a commercial failure?

It was also during a different time where Sony for network wise didnt have their shit together.

And nothing against Jaffe, but I feel he bit off a little more than he could chew on this title. Was surprised we didn't get a sequel to black. I think Jaffe was trying to do some crazy mechanics in the game that ultimately hurt the overall product and it kind of lost a little of it's identity.

Black was specific, and they should have just done a better version of that with dark story and setting like black had.

Why is that Grubb's news to announce? I used to like leaks like this but now they bug me and have been starting to for a while. Why not let the people who work their butts off to make these things and the people who work in marketing and are paid to do this kind of thing handle it? These leakers are like gossips, there is nothing interesting about them so they need to talk about things other people are doing.

Hunnybun

pls no..

I mean, maybe US player will be happy
But for us on EU... is... meh ?

It's so fucking weird how big that series seems to be in the US isn't it?

I'm not against a reboot like this, it'd probably be cool, but man it's got almost no traction as a brand over here.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why is that Grubb's news to announce? I used to like leaks like this but now they bug me and have been starting to for a while. Why not let the people who work their butts off to make these things and the people who work in marketing and are paid to do this kind of thing handle it? These leakers are like gossips, there is nothing interesting about them so they need to talk about things other people are doing.

Agreed, but on the brighter side this gives Jaffe a heads up that they are making a game without any of his input or even letting him know since he created the series. He said he would be hurt if they did not reach out. SO this literally gives him a heads up to call some people at Sony and be like "WTF YOU FUCKERS".

But in my opinion Jaffe was consulted on the TV show, and I would have to believe talks about a game were there too. I think he's playing dumb because of heavy NDA and he himself hates leaks. So if there was I dont think honestly he would say anything. He has nothing but love for Santa Monic studio and is still good friends with a lot of people her grew old with.

Papacheeks

Banned
Seems game to film/tv and tv/film to game is Sony’s strategy now. MGS remake is surely coming with the MGS film. ;)

I really hope they dont fuck up the look of Metal Gear/Ray, and Gray fox if they are starting at MGS story wise.

It would be cool to see flashbacks of gray fox and snake fighting while Fox was remembering who he is when Snake and him fight in present day.

MiguelItUp

All I wanted is a Twisted Metal Black 2. Or a Twisted Metal sequel done in a similar vein. The last one, while I still gave it a shot because I love the series, just really felt strange. I understand the changes they tried to make, but separating the drivers from their distinctive vehicles just felt so.... odd. Because we've only really known the drivers as the ones in the cars with the personality of the drivers.

Maybe some liked that change? I just felt strange about it. I still think Black was the best in the series for a variety of reasons.

But you know what, I'm just happy to know that it's getting attention. It deserves it. Hoping for the best!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Didn't everyone kind of already know this? When the Twisted Metal show was announced it was kind of obvious a game tie in was in the pipeline.

I'm assuming it'll be from a smaller team. Not sure what a big budget Twisted Metal looks like in todays market.

Enjay

Banned
Don't worry both the game and the show will flop hard anyway.

reksveks

I need to double-check the show if he got asked about it but his output should not be influenced by the commercial interest of a company, don't think you think it should be. do you have issues with all leaks like iphone leaks?

these marketers will be fine and if they aren't, its more of a failure of the company.

Papacheeks

Banned
According to Jaffe he was not contacted about this game:

Pretty fucked up, at the same time I feel he was not consulted for God of war 2018. And I think because of his channel and views on things Sony wants to distance themselves?

Not sure, if its true pretty fucked up to not at least get a heads up that someone else is handling your baby.

Last edited:
Twisted metal black was part of me growing up. I remember playing the game and remembering how dark it was for its time. Like even my brother who wasnt into those games but like dark movies like Tarrentino films played it and was like " fuck this game is pretty wild".

Pretty great romp to be honest.

I remember them being pretty highly regarded and praised, especially twisted metal 2, but I could never get into them on the original Playstation. Maybe as a next gen game it will be more interesting with some changes and new design decisions.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I need this so bad!

L9p7ra3.gif

I remember them being pretty highly regarded and praised, especially twisted metal 2, but I could never get into them on the original Playstation. Maybe as a next gen game it will be more interesting with some changes and new design decisions.

Same here, I actually preferred Vigilante 8, though admittedly I tried V8 before the TM series since I got my PlayStation only after Tekken 3 came out.

Same here, I actually preferred Vigilante 8, though admittedly I tried V8 before the TM series since I got my PlayStation only after Tekken 3 came out.

I rented Twisted Metal 2 from Blockbuster due to how much they were praising it in Gamepro Magazine. But once I got it I just couldn't really get into it. They need to make a new Spyhunter game. I liked those games A LOT more. Driver too.

Unknown?

It's so fucking weird how big that series seems to be in the US isn't it?

I'm not against a reboot like this, it'd probably be cool, but man it's got almost no traction as a brand over here.
Don't worry it will be a tale of Sweet Tooth and his son and a father's passion to get his son off of death row. EU will eat it up like GOW.

yurinka

Let's hope it's just another fake rumor from Grubb. I'd prefer to don't waste Sony's resources with this IP.

Last edited:

Fbh

Would be awesome, specially if the online component isn't a broken piece of shit like on the Ps3 one, so maybe people actually stick around this time.
I think TW could actually work decently with the GAAS model. Lots of options for visual customization, they could make special events and they could add free new maps, cars and weapons from time to time.

But it's Jeff Grubb so it's probably just another one of his guesses he is trying to pass as "insider information".

MrS

Banned
Can't see anybody paying £60 for a novelty racing game in the Game Pass era. For this not to go down like Destruction Allstars it needs to be priced appropriately - £25 max + PS+ discount.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Played quite a bit of TMB since it was bundled with the PS2 network adapter. At the time this and Socom were the only two online games I had. Even though it's dripping with style, fun characters and backstories and just cool overall vibes, just didn't think the car combat was all that fun. Didn't really get into the sequel either though it seemed like a step in the right direction.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Power to those who are still living the Twisted Metal dream but I just don't see this being a good use of resources.

Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and the game will be awesome.

The Alien

Banned
Jeff Grubb, huh?

I dont believe a word this guy...oh wait, its not an XBox title? Oh yeah....totally legit. Best news ever.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
NO RACING THIS TIME. RACING SUCKS. IF I WANTED TO BE BORED TO DEATH BY RACING I'D BUY A RACING GAME.

A remaster of 1 and 2 ala Crash Bandicoot would have been awesome. Price it 39.99 and I believe it would be a good seller.

Top Bottom