• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Innocene - PS5 version is live on NZ PSN - PS5 Gameplay

rubhen925

Back again for another thread. Busy morning lol. The game is officially live on NZ PSN. Had PS Plus on NZ and was able to snag it. Here's some info about the PS5 version:

- file size on PS5 is 33.83 GB
- 4K 60FPS UHD
- 3D Audio support
- improved load times
- no performance options. Only one mode 4K 60FPS
- HDR option for brightness within the game settings, but that's it. Can't customize it like in the DOOM Eternal settings which was in depth.
- there is screen tearing. I've noticed it a couple times in the starting section and now I'm in chapter 3 and still notice it in open areas.

PS5 Gameplay:

*Update - Since people ask about this a lot. No options to turn off Motion Blur & Chromatic Aberration. For CA you can choose between low & Normal. Doesn't help. Game still looks blurry while in motion half the time. Especially outdoors.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Back again for another thread. Busy morning lol. The game is officially live on NZ PSN. Had PS Plus on NZ and was able to snag it. Here's some info about the PS5 version:

- file size on PS5 is 33.83 GB
- 4K 60FPS UHD
- 3D Audio support
- improved load times
- no performance options. Only one mode 4K 60FPS
- HDR option for brightness within the game settings, but that's it. Can't customize it like in the DOOM Eternal settings which was in depth.
- there is screen tearing. I've noticed it a couple times in the starting section and now I'm in chapter 3 and still notice it in open areas.

PS5 Gameplay:

Please jesus tell me you can turn off the chromatic abberation effect in the menu?

james franco please GIF

Its so fucking egregious, it reduces the perceived resolution to like 1440p, its bloody awful, it makes me feel like I'm drunk or something.

Last edited:

rubhen925

Please jesus tell me you can turn off the chromatic abberation effect in the menu?

james franco please GIF

Its so fucking egregious, it reduces the perceived resolution to something like 1440p, its bloody awful, it makes me feel like I'm drunk or something.
You can't turn it off sadly. You can choose between low and normal......

Kuranghi

They must be using adaptive v-sync I guess, the tearing seems to happen when there are a lot of dense alpha effects on screen, which must be peaking the GPU usage.

GHG

Gold Member
Screen tearing makes this worthless.

Played through this in 4k on PC and was going to see how it looked on the OLED with the PS5 but if it has screen tearing then fuck that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The video looks REALLY blurry, like there's vaseline all over the screen (yes, I watched it in 4K). Is that just how this game looks? Do not like, doesn't look 4K at all.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Looks like the pro version at 60. FPS is always great, but unlocking FPS on last gen would have taken it to 95%. Free update tho, no complaints.

33gig seems sizeable, what was the PS4 at?

Shmunter

This is free on ps plus next week for those thinking of shelling out.

It’s 7/10 for me. Starts great but the rat/light puzzles become a chore and characters woes grate eventually. Opinions will vary.

nowhat

It’s 7/10 for me. Starts great but the rat/light puzzles become a chore and characters woes grate eventually. Opinions will vary.
For a small studio, running on their own proprietary engine, the game looks incredible so it definitely has that going for it. But agreed, the gameplay loop isn't so varied/interesting that it would carry to the end. And while everything doesn't need to be grounded and realistic, and the rats are kind of a giveaway that there might be something more mystical in there, the final battle had me howling with laughter and for all the wrong reasons.

Still, going to check out the sequel (if the reviews aren't terrible), this wasn't a bad first attempt.

Last edited:
Downloaded this last night on Series X and thought it hadn't been updated yet. Was it updated yesterday or is this just today? If it was then I'm disappointed big time.

Withnail

Haven't seen anything of this game before but was curious because it's on PS+ tomorrow. The video in the OP looks like Euro-jank garbage, can't believe some were comparing this to TLOU. Someone tell me it gets better than that?

Mr Moose

Will this game be on PSN Pluss world wider, it's not yet available in EU?

I think the PS+ thing kicks off on the 6th, I'll have to check.
Edit: Yup
All playable starting July 6.

A Plague Tale: Innocence are available to add to your console library starting Tuesday, July 6 until Monday, August 2.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Not really. Most people don't have VRR-capable TVs yet, and won't for most of this generation, so games still need to be properly v-synced.
They still need to hurry up and bring VRR support for those who have a VRR-capable display though. No excuses. Why should those who have invested in this technology put up with perceptible frame-rate dips/screen tearing?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They still need to hurry up and bring VRR support for those who have a VRR-capable display though. No excuses. Why should those who have invested in this technology put up with perceptible frame-rate dips/screen tearing?

For sure. I was just disagreeing that VRR support would make tearing (or hard v-sync drops for that matter) a thing of the past. For most it wouldn't. Yes, it should be supported by every console (I don't know what Sony's doing), but that's not an excuse to let your game run at 50fps or whatever, because that would still be a poor experience for most people. Why should those who HAVEN'T invested in a new TV (when they might already have a very nice 4K TV) put up with perceptible frame-rate dips/screen tearing? Console games should run smoothly.

Last edited:

Md Ray

For sure. I was just disagreeing that VRR support would make tearing (or hard v-sync drops for that matter) a thing of the past. For most it wouldn't. Yes, it should be supported by every console (I don't know what Sony's doing), but that's not an excuse to let your game run at 50fps or whatever, because that would still be a poor experience for most people. Why should those who HAVEN'T invested in a new TV (when they might already have a very nice 4K TV) put up with perceptible frame-rate dips/screen tearing? Console games should run smoothly.
I agree. It's up to the devs to provide a smoother experience for everyone. But also, not every game will have a 100% locked framerate as well (throughout the console's lifecycle) unfortunately, not every studio is Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games though... In such cases, VRR will help those who've invested in the tech is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I agree. It's up to the devs to provide a smoother experience for everyone. But also, not every game will have a 100% locked framerate as well (throughout the console's lifecycle) unfortunately, not every studio is Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games though... In such cases, VRR will help those who've invested in the tech is all I'm saying.

VRR can still help even in games that DO have a locked framerate though. If a game is locked to 60 it's probably capable of running quite a bit higher than that much of the time, so people with VRR TVs can get even better result, while people without it still get a smooth experience. The best of both worlds. My point is that poor performance on fixed hardware shouldn't really be accepted, and VRR being a thing is not a valid excuse. I don't mean that a game is automatically terrible if it drops a frame here and there in hectic scenes, but if it's constantly tearing or dropping frames you (the dev) have screwed up and should have tweaked it a bit more. And actually, screen tearing I do find unacceptable in general, it absolutely ruins the image for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom