• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Innocene - PS5 version is live on NZ PSN - PS5 Gameplay

Roberts

Shouldn’t take it for granted, but I loaded up two chapters, played a bit and didn’t see any tearing on XSX. Seemed smooth. The game looked pretty good before the patch so I can’t really tell if there are any other improvements other than frame rate. Might play it again as I found it to be an excellent game where each chapter introduced a new gameplay element and the game never became repetitive, unlike a certain game it got inspired from.

Last edited by a moderator:

elliot5

Shouldn’t take it for granted, but I loaded up two chapters, played a bit and didn’t see any tearing on XSX. Seemed smooth. The game looked pretty good before the patch so I can’t really tell if there are any other improvements other than frame rate. Might play it again as I found it to be an excellent game where each chapter introduced a new gameplay element and the game never became repetitive, unlike a certain game it got inspired from.
I haven't noticed much either. I think I saw one tearing situation inside an area with flames but it was only a few frames. I've played like 5 chapters so far

GHG

Gold Member
I have an absolute high end PC and PS5. Which system should I play on?

PC for sure.

ZqZLka.png

ZqZYbk.png

ZqZMle.png

ZqZurx.png

ZqZD4H.png

RavageX

I'm half way through and I'm really enjoying it. It's a fairly simple light stealth puzzle solving game, but the story and characters and music elevates it.
I tried the game for a bit, looked great but I was bored of it pretty quick for the same reasons mentioned. I'm not really into stealth and puzzle solving unless there is a nice balance of action, etc. There may very well be action...but I didn't make it that far before deleting it.

I have found that I don't give games nearly as much of a chance as I used to. Example....I did not care for the way Doom Eternal did ammo replenish so I took a break from it for a while, tried it again to see what improved on the PS5 upgrade and it asked for my Bethseda login? I believe. Don't remember off the top of my head and didn't feel like looking...wouldn't let me skip it so the game got deleted and will be sold off.

Last edited:
This game is apparently really good?

In awfully surprised by that because I thought it looked pretty boring in trailers and short playthrough videos.

Is it actually good Gaf? Is it worth a try on steam while it's on sale?

Legit would never thought this game became as commended as it is now.

TLZ

Banned
Playing it right now on XSX and not seeing any yet, but I’m I am indoor area. Will see if it changes outside.
Playing it too and nothing yet.

But, is this game really 4k? What's with the vaseline look? Reminds me of when I played rdr2 on PS4 pro.

Last edited:

Aenima

Playing it on PS5 and damn ppl here really love to exagerate on the Screen Tearing. Lol. I saw screen tearing only 1 time at the beginning of the game, the moment you find the boar. And that was it, i spent the beginning of the game trying to force screen tearing to happen by moving the camera around in the forest and nothing. So if ur holding back to play this game untill they turn on V-Sync, dont bother, the game is perfectly fine, as far as the initial part of the game is concerned. Might get worst further away? Dunno, im not there yet.

Also turning the Chromatic Aberation to LOW, removes the blur and makes the game much sharper. So do that in the graphic option, by default the chomatic aberation is at NORMAL and the blur is pretty bad by default. So switch it to LOW.

Game on PS5 is using haptics and adaptive triggers as well. Pretty decent implementation. Feels good.

Renozokii

Not really. Most people don't have VRR-capable TVs yet, and won't for most of this generation, so games still need to be properly v-synced.
Thanks for the common sense post, so many ignore this. A tv feature I’d wager 95% of the people with the new consoles don’t have is not an excuse for shit like this.

TLZ

Banned
Playing it on PS5 and damn ppl here really love to exagerate on the Screen Tearing. Lol. I saw screen tearing only 1 time at the beginning of the game, the moment you find the boar. And that was it, i spent the beginning of the game trying to force screen tearing to happen by moving the camera around in the forest and nothing. So if ur holding back to play this game untill they turn on V-Sync, dont bother, the game is perfectly fine, as far as the initial part of the game is concerned. Might get worst further away? Dunno, im not there yet.

Also turning the Chromatic Aberation to LOW, removes the blur and makes the game much sharper. So do that in the graphic option, by default the chomatic aberation is at NORMAL and the blur is pretty bad by default. So switch it to LOW.

Game on PS5 is using haptics and adaptive triggers as well. Pretty decent implementation. Feels good.
I did change to low but still looks the same. It's ok in darker areas, but in sun it just looks washed out kinda.

Aenima

I did change to low but still looks the same. It's ok in darker areas, but in sun it just looks washed out kinda.
Take a look at the wood pilar and hay in the ground in the right side of the screen...

C.A. at Normal (set by Default):

oJXDLcM.jpg

C.A. at LOW:

ACpgbTb.jpg

Much better with it set on low. Chromatic Aberration is the worst, who asked for this shit, visual effect ever.

TLZ

Banned
Take a look at the wood pilar and hay in the ground in the right side of the screen...

oJXDLcM.jpg

C.A. at LOW:

ACpgbTb.jpg

Much better with it set on low. Chromatic Aberration is the worst, who asked for this shit, visual effect ever.
Lmao damn. I didn't see it before because I started the game with the Low setting.

What's the point of this chromatic aberration anyway?

oJXDLcM.jpg

C.A. at LOW:

ACpgbTb.jpg

You’re right, just look at the trees in the upper left. How is controller latency? Good? Will probably go with the PS5 version for the controls.

Arioco

🤔 Seems foliage density has been reduced from last gen???? Also xsx dropping frames, unexpected.

Need ps5 comparison.

I read some people complaining because the game has some occasional screen tearing on PS5, so it must be dropping some frames too in some areas. Anyway I'm sure we'll have comparisons soon enough.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Your absolute high end PS5.

PC for sure.

Thanks guys. I thought the PS5 version was 'enhanced' or something so maybe it had features that PC version doesnt have. Also, usually HDR is better on consoles than PC and I adore HDR.
But since I have both gamepass and PS Plus, maybe I can give it a whirl on both. Going by the images, it does seem PC will win.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

rofif

Banned
Screen tearing makes this worthless.

Played through this in 4k on PC and was going to see how it looked on the OLED with the PS5 but if it has screen tearing then fuck that.
Then play it on pc and stop whining.
If it tears a tiny bit because they use adaptive vsync, it's not the end of the world

Last edited:

Arioco

Doom eternal HDR settings are the worst.
Wtf is HDR color threshold 0.20... having 5 noon descript options without even a proper calibration image sucks

They're supposed to be one of the most complete settings for HDR in gaming, and the results can be pretty impressive, but I agree, they're not intuitive to use at all for the average user, who often doesn't even know what each setting does or how to adjust it to their TV correctly.

rofif

Banned
They're supposed to be one of the most complete settings for HDR in gaming, and the results can be pretty impressive, but I agree, they're not intuitive to use at all for the average user, who often doesn't even know what each setting does or how to adjust it to their TV correctly.
Nobody knows what these settings mean aside from saturation...
HDR min stops at -6.0.... oh of course.
All HDR games need is max white point. Exactly like PS5 HDR menu offers or resident evil.
Doom eternal just drags the worst 5hing from pc to console gaming... Weird settings :p

Arioco

Nobody knows what these settings mean aside from saturation...
HDR min stops at -6.0.... oh of course.
All HDR games need is max white point. Exactly like PS5 HDR menu offers or resident evil.
Doom eternal just drags the worst 5hing from pc to console gaming... Weird settings :p

Evilboris, who is... well, you know, THE HDR expert, showed his settings and explained what each of them means.

Truth is I didn't like the result at all on my TV (like it's often the case with this kind of "professional calibrations"). 🤷‍♂️ His settings are probably the most accurate, I guess, but I don't like how they look on my OLED.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Considering TV’s support HGIG, consoles do too, you have calibrated the TV and the console HDR settings (which again the two in combo should suggest you some pre-computed calibration profiles to be fair)… there should be enough data for games to at least offer two or three best guess calibration profiles (all kind of correct but veering off a bit to account for preferences).

rofif

Banned
Evilboris, who is... well, you know, THE HDR expert, showed his settings and explained what each of them means.

Truth is I didn't like the result at all on my TV (like it's often the case with this kind of "professional calibrations"). 🤷‍♂️ His settings are probably the most accurate, I guess, but I don't like how they look on my OLED.

Oh I tried this on my tv and it looked overcontrasted.
The point it - If I have to go around looking for tutorials, they failed.... which is too close to pc gaming

Skifi28

I agree, I saw some tearing in that exact scene and then nothing in the next hour and a half I played. Maybe There's still some later on, but people sure love being dramatic about it. The haptics implementation is great too, seems like they did a lot of work. Unlike Doom Eternal

tommib

I agree, I saw some tearing in that exact scene and then nothing in the next hour and a half I played. Maybe There's still some later on, but people sure love being dramatic about it. The haptics implementation is great too, seems like they did a lot of work. Unlike Doom Eternal
This will be fixed in whatever next patch they release. So much dramatic whining. It’s like they’re being sexually assaulted. Move to Twitter for Screen-Tearing drama, please.

Digital foundry Twitter handle is your place.

Last edited:

Trunim

I didn't notice the chromatic aberration as much before but now, holy shit it ruins the 4K image. Turn that shit to low.

Top Bottom