• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a Platinum Trophy equivalent could be coming to Xbox

Bartski

Gold Member

Xbox director of project management Jason Ronald appeared on the Iron Lords Podcast this past weekend, and had some interesting comments to share in regards to calls for a 'platinum trophy' system for achievements.
The host questioned Ronald about whether Xbox could get "a Sony platinum achievement equivalent, so that when you finish a whole game, there is some type of credit or recognition of that," and here's what he had to say in response:
"We've definitely heard that feedback. Achievements are an interesting one because everybody plays games differently. So we really think about, how do we reward people for playing the way that you want to, and the games that you want to?"
"There's some players who just prefer to play multiplayer. What are we doing to reward them and show progression and things like that? There's other people who like to play tons of different games, so how do we go ahead and respect that investment? And then there's other people like myself where I'm a completionist and I literally want to complete everything within a game."
"So, it's a balance and it's definitely an area that we've heard some feedback on. Nothing to announce today, but definitely top of mind for us as we look to the road ahead."

cormack12

Gold Member
Sounds like they might have more xbox/platform based achievements to supplement the ones on the actual game.

Gamepass has thrown the diamond achievement status out of whack, and they don't seperate the achievements in the same way Sony do for DLC, so you just have a crazy big list. They also combine the gamerscores so you might be 1000/1000 on FH5 in two weeks, yet when the DLC's hit you see youself back at 1000/3500 (even if you don't buy the DLC).

To sum up, I hope they don't because I get sucked into this shit all the time, and I'm trying to stop. In the same way Homer SImpson is trying to diet.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
throw up team america GIF

Preferred the numbers over trophies.

Sounds like its just a "congrats you completed all achievements".

Marvel

could never
I don't care about achievements anymore, ngl loved it during 360 days but just lost interest. Good for those that want it though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It should be more organized, but the score itself it's not that bad. Most people don't really wanna do everything anyways

TrueLegend

I have never cared about Xbox Achievements because Steam sucks on this front and PlayStation has hooked on this for the longest time ever. However, the thing is developers are abusing trophy hunting nowadays and I am actually feeling myself heading in opposite direction because of it.

OrionNebula

Edward Norton Work GIF

I don't care about those trophies myself, I just enjoy the game and stop playing when I don't feel like enjoying.
Same here. Never cared one bit about trophies in gaming. I dont’t get the obsession. I just find them useless, especially those trophies they give you for just playing the game normally. Finished act 1? Here’s a trophy! Defeat a boss you had to to progress? Take this free participation trophy with you! 😆 Nothing remotely special. To each their own, of course. I just find the fascination for it quite weird and a bit intriguing

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Same here. Never cared one bit about trophies in gaming. I dont’t get the obsession. I just find them useless, especially those trophies they give you for just playing the game normally. Finished act 1? Here’s a trophy! Defeat a boss you had to to progress? Take this free participation trophy with you! 😆 Nothing remotely special. To each their own, of course. I just find the fascination for it quite weird and a bit intriguing

I think I would've cared if it game much earlier like at least around PS2 era when I still used to replay games. I just don't treat gaming as I was back in the day, which is ok. I still play like a mad boy for 12-24 hours straight or more when a massive game like lately Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 are released.

SenkiDala

I think points are better, on Xbox at the end points are just points, on PS the Platinium is "fake" because most of times it's like "congratulations you got all the trophies... errr no we added DLC Trophies" so it's kind of pointless.

Emet_bp

I think points are better, on Xbox at the end points are just points, on PS the Platinium is "fake" because most of times it's like "congratulations you got all the trophies... errr no we added DLC Trophies" so it's kind of pointless.
It's more like "Congratulations, you have earned all the original / base trophies" so it's still ok and I like this idea. IMO it's much nicer than just some points.

SenkiDala

It's more like "Congratulations, you have earned all the original / base trophies" so it's still ok and I like this idea. IMO it's much nicer than just some points.
If you think "game by game" yes it might be better but if you think gobally it's not so great : on PS 2 things can count, your amount of Plat Trophies or your "gamer level" (the level that is determined by the amount of trophies in general that you got, whatever it's silver or bronze etc), the Plat lvl is quiet biased since only the Plat counts, no matter if you got all or any DLC trophy, the "gamer level" is almost calculated quite weirdly, for exemple I've 33 plats and a friend of mine who has 7 plats has a better "gamer level" than me. Weird.

Points are just points and you compare to other players by the amount of points, or on a game by game basis "do you have the 1000/1000 or 1400/1400", in my opinion at least. It's more "fair" I'd say.

FeldMonster

I appreciate that they are considering those of us who spent most of our time playing multiplayer games. The achievement system favors those who jump from game to game and not those that dedicate more time to fewer games. Perhaps some amount of gamerscore per hour spent in game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really care about trophies EXCEPT for the few times I decide to go for the platinum (which is typically when I'm already close after having played through the game normally). Seeing that plat pop up is pretty nice. If it was just points like on Xbox I doubt I would bother.

That would be great. The platinum is the reason I get invested in trophies and complete ignore achievements.

I was playing Forza Horizon 5 thinking that this would be a fun game to 100%. But without a platinum, I couldn't be motivated, knowing as soon as dlc came, I'd lose that 100%.

I could see where they give a badge out for a group of achievements, like one for campaign, one for multiplayer, another for each DLC pack etc. This also might help some people manage their addictions to this stuff if they can have an excuse to ignore a group. Personally, while I like it when an achievement pops up, I almost never actually open up a game's list of achievements to see what I'm missing or what I can work on. If the list were organized a bit better like this, I could see myself checking more often.

nikolino840

I don't know..if they change the platinum with i dont know..a pin or a medal for 1000/1000 a game,can sony sue them for copying features?

Fahdis

Dream Achievement Trophy List:

- SEPARATE MP TROPHIES FROM SP!
- GIVE ALTERNATIVES TO GET MP TROPHIES IN SP GAMES WHEN SERVERS SHUT DOWN!
- STOP GIVING TEAM BASED TROPHIES IN MP!

Thank you 😇.

Reactions: K2D

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Probably a far fetched idea, but how about giving out awards for achievements?

For example, if you get the platinum trophy, you'll then be rewarded with 12 months of Gamepass, or a new £100 to spend in the store etc. If they did that I'd be all over it.

dorkimoe

For example, if you get the platinum trophy, you'll then be rewarded with 12 months of Gamepass, or a new £100 to spend in the store etc. If they did that I'd be all over it.
gamepass achievements do this

I'm a big xbox achievement fan, never ever cared about them having a platinum trophy though

Topher

Gold Member

A year of Game Pass for a platinum is a bit much. I’d be happy with rewards points per achievement with the highest value given for platinum.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A year of Game Pass for a platinum is a bit much. I’d be happy with rewards points per achievement with the highest value given for platinum.

Is it? I think a year of Gamepass or a £100 to spend in the store is fair.

Think about it. If you platinum five games, that's five years of Gamepass for free or £500 to spend on games!

Aenima

I don't get the difference with just completing all achievements for a game...
The diference is u can take a look at ur profile and easely see how many games u fully got all trophies by looking at ur Platinum trophies number.

The Platinum trophies is the only thing i look at when i check my trophies section.

I have got all achievements in some steam games, but seeing a Platinum trophy pop up is way more satisfying.

RCU005

Trophies were a great take on achievements for Playstation, specially with the addition of the Platinum. I would love for Xbox to overhaul the achievements and do something new and innovative.

IMO, they should separate single player and MP achievements. For people that don't like/want/can't play MP, it sucks to not be able to get the ahievements. This specially hurts in PlayStation, because it makes the Platinum impossible to get.

Also, they need to make trophies and achievements optional for each game. It may sound stupid, but maybe you are trying a game, or would buy it later, or whatnot and it'd be great to have the choice to get those trophies/achievements.

On the other hand, we should be able to delete any trophy/achievement. Whether it's from a game you didn't like and don't want that in your game list, or just want to get the trophy/achievement again for a second play through, etc. I don't know about MS, but I know Sony let's people delete them at 0%, but that's not enough. You should be able to delete them at any %.

ManaByte

Both systems (Trophies/Achievements) are horrible and need to be scrapped and reworked completely. They never will though, so I will never care about them.

They already reworked achievements with the Xbox One to allow them to add more achievements with DLC. The trophy system was just reworked to change your level to more of a gamerscore number.

Since they always add more achievements to Xbox games a platinum wouldn't make much sense, but badges for things like campaign competition of MP would make more sense than a single trophy that would be meaningless after DLC.
that would be great, even like an in-game skin, item or a silly end game mode. I'd love to see it.

They already did this in the 360 era. Achievements could unlock things like gamerpics or avatar items.

Top Bottom