• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieli

I can't wait until someone actually sees another person in this game. It will truly be this thread's final stage of greatness.

Boy, am I gonna love that moment for two reasons:

1. Sean will be vindicated and all who doubted his honesty will be made to apologize.

2. It will inspire me to become a game designer and tell the truth about my own games.

Or maybe, just maybe, he can vindicate himself with one short tweet confirming whether or not players can see each other in game.

Dunno. Just a thought.

Real Hero

Okay. I don't buy into this outrage culture gamers have developed in recent years. That overbearing sense of entitlement has grown worse and worse over time. Hell, abuse of that attitude, taking advantage of that type of person, is part of what led to the initial growth of gamer gate, looping in people who didn't know better and assumed they were owed Everything.

I ain't into it.

Even though I agree, being pissed off over a game being broken or having missing features after you payed money for it is a legit response and actual criticism (which there's plenty of for no mans sky)shouldn't be lumped in with what your talking about. There's cross over obviously but it's mainly people genuinely wondering ' what the fuck is going on with this game' especially over the terrible pc port that's worth being 'outraged' over.

g9AFU0g.png

https://my.mixtape.moe/vxhnde.webm

8DhSlFX.gif

Dont do it, isn't worth it

Kieli

If ypu werent around back then, SotC's framerate was trashed plenty here at release. As well as the drab color scheme. It was not universally praised.

I'm surprised people would complain in SoTC, of all things, its colour palette.

I mean, this isn't Trine where you oversaturate everything. It's a decaying world and it perfectly fits with the Team ICO aesthetic.

Russ T

Banned
Even though I agree, being pissed off over a game being broken or having missing features after you payed money for it is a legit response and actual criticism (which there's plenty of for no mans sky)shouldn't be lumped in with what your talking about. There's cross over obviously but it's mainly people genuinely wondering ' what the fuck is going on with this game'

I'm not grouping them together. Merely explaining why I find this kind of entitled rage so distasteful.

I do agree criticism is warranted and, I'd argue, completely necessary. But there's ways to go about it that aren't so... *gestures at this thread*

Permanently A

In this hypothetical situation we already know the answer is yes.

if the answer is "yes, you can see other people but its not working because ______" then that's literally all sean needs to tweet out to put a stop to this nonsense. every second he doesn't just keeps the controversy stirring and makes HG look guilty because they aren't saying anything meaningful.

dubq

It has barely been three days since this whole thing started on August 9th. Some of you people are seriously unstable. Seek help, please.

Pray tell then, what would satiate this great injustice that has been wraught upon all these poor ignorant consumers?

"Ignorant," really? So potential consumers can watch every trailer, video interview - even follow Sean Murray on Twitter, and still not have a good idea of what they're getting into in terms of game features and you think that has something to do with their own ignorance? Please. Years of saying that a feature is included followed by one tweet a day before release suggesting that it's not is confusing on a good day.

Not everyone who bought into gamer gate early on believed in organized harassment of women. Many people were essentially tricked. I would like you to re-read my post without the rage that GG instills in people. Specifically the part about how people TOOK ADVANTAGE of that attitude in others.

You're also significantly downplaying what is being directed at Sean and Hello Games merely to serve your point.

I find that very disingenuous.

No one is being tricked by a hidden agenda here so why bring it up?

If you're talking about personal insults being hurled at devs then thats a thing that has existed long before gamergate and will continue long after everyones forgotten about it.

Okay. I don't buy into this outrage culture gamers have developed in recent years. That overbearing sense of entitlement has grown worse and worse over time.

I ain't into it.

Totally agree with this.

Sure 60 dollars or pounds or whatever is a fair sum of money...but don't preorder if you can't take the financial risk.

People buy stuff that costs way more money than games, and have faulty bits (e.g. houses and cars) and they don't post in the internet using words like prick, outrage, or liar.

The total lack of perspective from some people in this thread is just appalling.

ZoddGutts

It has barely been three days since this whole thing started on August 9th. Some of you people are seriously unstable. Seek help, please.

It's as if this is a gaming forum where people like wasting time on a mediocre game. Spending 3 days is nothing compare to other topics gaf has had on.

I wanna preface this by saying that I haven't played NMS yet, but...I honestly didn't know that people actually wanted MP in this game at all in the first place. The vibe I got, and continue to get, from following this game from a distance is that it's about throwing you into a lonely galaxy and occasionally interacting with aliens but otherwise it's a chill experience about exploring planets and a galaxy and always moving forward, never back.

J_Viper

Not that I'm defending the game, but I fail to see the benefit of co-op

What would you do? Mine rocks together?

There's a whole slew of co-op games out there that are better than this one.

Russ T

Banned
No one is being tricked by a hidden agenda here so why bring it up?

If you're talking about personal insults being hurled at devs then thats a thing that has existed long before gamergate and will continue long after everyones forgotten about it.

To be honest, I think you're picking a fight with me just to have a fight. The very post you have a problem with explains why I brought it up.

I don't have time to repeat myself again and again.

dubq

We've reached the point where leveling fair criticism is akin to having a mental illness.

Cool dude.

Criticism is a-ok. Threats and insults, however, are pretty pathetic.

It's as if this is a gaming forum where people like wasting time on a mediocre game. Spending 3 days is nothing compare to other topics gaf has had on.

I'm not talking about the amount of time they're spending discussing it. I'm talking about how quickly they've turned into rabid, frothing at the mouth, miscreants over not receiving a response from the Developers within 72 hours.

To be honest, I think you're picking a fight with me just to have a fight. The very post you have a problem with explains why I brought it up.

I don't have time to repeat myself again and again.

Fair enough, maybe I am. Nothing personal, just sick of seeing gamergate brought into everything on this forum.

Moreche

Does anyone else think if the games had launched a lot earlier for cheaper but with a long term plan like star bound or mine craft with building it into something much greater?
I still think the most we will see are a few updates then that's it.

Russ T

Banned
I'm not talking about the amount of time they're spending discussing it. I'm talking about how quickly they've turned into rabid, frothing at the mouth, miscreants over not receiving a response from the Developers within 72 hours.

Imagine if this was a valve game!!

Brashnir

Even if that does happen (which I hope it does, because it would be the best outcome by far for the devs and the players) that doesn't get Sean off the hook for not clearly addressing the issue after it came to light.

What's stopping you from becoming a game designer right now? Follow your dreams.gif

He owns too many pairs of shoes. Game design is primarily about being barefoot.

Thecouncil has been making joke posts throughout this entire thread

Or maybe, just maybe, he can vindicate himself with one short tweet confirming whether or not players can see each other in game.

Dunno. Just a thought.

I don't accept that. That's really unfair to Sean. I don't really know anything about the guy but it's not Sean's style to face negativity directly. He's busy being amazed at his beautiful creation and sometimes he's just too shy to answer questions about his lies. That's very admirable. I don't appreciate this character assassination that's been going on around here.

Sean, if you're reading this, I apologize on behalf of NeoGAF. They know not what they say.

DigtialT

Not that I'm defending the game, but I fail to see the benefit of co-op

What would you do? Mine rocks together?

There's a whole slew of co-op games out there that are better than this one.

The benefit of co-op is irrelevant, we are discussing the ambiguity/deceitful nature of how Sean described the multiplayer in NMS and why he seems to be refusing to make a statement explaining why people can't see each other.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

For real, the amount of people who've come in here and tell people how they should feel is crazy. They really should focus on themselves and not worry about other people.....

This is going back into the circle again, down to calling people who want a straight answer mentally unstable, which is somehow less mature than crackachu antics! See you guys next update, I guess.

Kinyou

Criticism is a-ok. Threats and insults, however, are pretty pathetic.
Who here is throwing out threats? Most people in this thread seem actually pretty laid back. Things only get heated when someone wants to deny that the feature was ever promised.

I'm quite content with the game staying SP. Other human beings are typically jerks, and the game is difficult enough without getting griefed/ganked. I can understand why some may be disappointed by this news, though.

Nafai1123

Banned
if the answer is "yes, you can see other people but its not working because ______" then that's literally all sean needs to tweet out to put a stop to this nonsense. every second he doesn't just keeps the controversy stirring and makes HG look guilty because they aren't saying anything meaningful.

I think you need to re-read what I was responding to.

"Ignorant," really? So potential consumers can watch every trailer, video interview - even follow Sean Murray on Twitter, and still not have a good idea of what they're getting into in terms of game features and you think that has something to do with their own ignorance? Please. Years of saying that a feature is included followed by one tweet a day before release suggesting that it's not is confusing on a good day.

I think you also need to re-read what I was responding to. I was not using the word as an insult nor was I referring to the knowledge that a consumer may have of the game by following pre-release media.

Or, to make it easier on you guys, I'll just rephrase the question.

If we know that people can see each other in the game (because it starts actually happening), and that is apparently not good enough, what else needs to be done to satiate this outrage?

I don't accept that. That's really unfair to Sean. I don't really know anything about the guy but it's not Sean's style to face negativity directly. He's busy being amazed at his beautiful creation and sometimes he's just too shy to answer questions about his lies. That's very admirable. I don't appreciate this character assassination that's been going on around here.

Sean, if you're reading this, I apologize on behalf of NeoGAF. They know not what they say.
You know he's an actual real person right? Who has worked incredibly hard and risked his house to make a game that hopefully people will like?

You can't give him the benefit of the doubt or wait a few days to see what the real answer is? You just want to go straight to liar and sarcasm?

Has anyone got the
Atlas pass v2 yet? I got the V1 on my second visit to an Atlas station, but since then I've only been given Atlas Stones of which I can discern no point except their trade value.

Russ T

Banned
You know he's an actual real person right? Who has worked incredibly hard and risked his house to make a game that hopefully people will like?

You can't give him the benefit of the doubt or wait a few days to see what the real answer is? You just want to go straight to liar and sarcasm?

He trolling

"So you are saying that if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?"

"No, that's not really what the game is about. Again, when you talk about multiplayer, it gives people the wrong impression. Like I said, that's not what were trying to build, and its not what people should be thinking about going into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORFgfhj_hM

Permanently A

If we know that people can see each other in the game (because it starts actually happening), and that is apparently not good enough, what else needs to be done to satiate this outrage?

1. Explain why seeing others wasn't working initially.
  2. Explain/apologize for not tweeting out that the feature was broken
  3. Commit to do better when communicating with the playerbase

DataGhost

I know but the total lack of any patience or sense of perspective in quite a few posts in this thread over the last few days has just been ridiculous.

Sorry :(

Yes but we have had a lot of patience.

Right now, with the PC launch, I don't believe we'll be getting an answer anytime soon.

I think we'll have to wait for PC gamers to meet each other or to dissect the game to see if there is a player avatar as well as multiplayer code.

Calderc

This is going back into the circle again, down to calling people who want a straight answer mentally unstable, which is somehow less mature than crackachu antics! See you guys next update, I guess.

There's wanting an answer, then there's acting like a 5 year old child who never got their own way. That's this thread.

'Man, multiplayer would be cool and they said it would be there. S'up with that?' = Fine and expected.

'WHAT THE FUCK? THEY COULDN'T SEE EACH OTHER? FUCK THAT GAME AND THAT FUCKING FRAUD, I HOPE IT BOMBS. FUCKING LYING SACK OF SHIT' = a fucking arsehole. Which does this thread have more of?

Permanently A

"So you are saying that if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?"

"No, that's not really what the game is about. Again, when you talk about multiplayer, it gives people the wrong impression. Like I said, that's not what were trying to build, and its not what people should be thinking about going into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORFgfhj_hM

This thread isn't about multiplayer (like getting together and playing together), its about seeing other people in the game, which was said to be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU&feature=youtu.be&t=351

However, several people have gone to the same spots and not been able to see each other. HG has not offered any explanation for why this is happening. That's what this thread is about.

Yes but we have had a lot of patience.

Right now, with the PC launch, I don't believe we'll be getting an answer anytime soon.

I think we'll have to wait for PC gamers to meet each other or to dissect the game to see if there is a player avatar as well as multiplayer code.

Hiya, I'm sure some people have...and I don't know what you have posted personally in the past :)

I'd say the point to lose patience would be once a lot of people are in the middle, and running into the same places all the time and not seeing each other..that would be "proof".

Or as you say once someone can dissect it and determine if there is any MP code at all.

Even then they may have deliberately designed the MP so it only switches on rarely, so that you get a fleeting few minutes with another player instancing in, and then out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom