• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

Two players found each other in the same star system. They met on a planet and a space station, stood in the exact same place but were unable to see each other.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wxydf/im_about_to_meet_another_player_seriously

http://imgur.com/a/klomu

I'm posting this because this was legitimately my biggest question about this game, and it's good to see it answered definitively.

**UPDATE**

A second set of people found each other (or didnt find each other)

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like another pair of players found each other: http://imgur.com/a/tYbch

(guess if they can see each other or not)

**UPDATE**

Okay, I am running the game live on PC now with packet capture. Same as PS4, absolutely no data is transmitted or received on foot. Rebuilding hyperdrive etc.

I do it for a living. My job title is Security Architect.

Added this to the OP, since people assume that it's been clear as day that this is single player:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

"No Man's Sky": Is it single-player or multiplayer game?

Ultimately, the answer is both. However, the chances of bumping into another player in this colossal universe is extremely thin. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that "No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

EDIT:

Adding this for clarity sake. The 2 people that tried this reset their NATs so everything was open, and they both made sure they had PS+ active.

Edit: A ton of people are still saying that multiplayer was never supposed to be in this game, or that he never said we would be able to see other people.:

People are still defending the point that Sean never confirmed it? Can that video at the top of this page go into the OP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVrDaudzn64

murray2e0up8.gif

Related: Box Art Controversy

Edit: Wasn't going to put this in OP until we had confirmation from a GAFer. Apparently the European editions of the game have stickers on them covering up the online features:

Here you go

usjKRHc.jpg

tNurCaD.jpg

Recently posted, interesting stuff, time-stamp included. Would love to know if real.

image.png

*UPDATE* Comment By Sony: *

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ion-has-online-play-icon-hidden-under-sticker

UPDATE 5.10pm: Sony has told Eurogamer that the online play and increased age rating featured on limited edition No Man's Sky packaging is a "production issue".

The original icons - now hidden under a sticker - were incorrect, the publisher continued. Here is Sony's statement in full:

"Incorrect descriptors were incorporated into the original No Man's Sky limited edition packaging," a company spokesperson said. "This was a production issue and was rectified using placement stickers."

*Credit to Tecnniqe

Update:

:( Well, I found this last night case anyone missed it.

“Just to be clear, it's not just going to run a video of me saying, ‘Hi, welcome to the center of the galaxy.’ I can confirm it's not going to be a link to a YouTube video. Inside a box.”

Murray says that players will want to share the experience with their friends, even though the team is trying to temper players’ multiplayer expectations. “Are you gonna want your friends to join you there? Yeah, without giving too much away, yes.”
Edit: Yup, found the source. It's from a GamInformer interview.

So he said that you would want your friends to be with you at the center... That's really heavily implying multiplayer. I mean, what else could that possibly mean. I can't imagine anyone taking that to mean anything other than hanging with your friends at the center in an epic moment.

I don't think this is definitive.

We still don't know a lot of details including how the instancing works, if servers and connectivity issues are coming into play

_woLf

I thought Sean Murray straight up said it was extremely rare, but if you saw another player, you could kill them?

I thought he said this as recent as yesterday...

Krakn3Dfx

I think it's weird that people thought you'd be able to. Maybe I missed an interview where Murray said otherwise.

flkraven

I thought Sean Murray straight up said it was extremely rare, but if you saw another player, you could kill them?

They were always extremely vague about this. This is why I was constantly asking about it, and all I ever got was the 'rarity' discussion. Turns out you can't really see anyone.

hamchan

Amazes me that this is still so vague. It should be as easy as a yes or no answer as to whether this can happen.

flkraven

To everyone asking why this is news, or why this is important, or how we don't know about instances etc, this perfectly summarizes that:

Amazes me that this is still so vague. It should be as easy as a yes or no answer as to whether this can happen.

And how do we know there aren't different instances?

We don't

When Dark Souls launched on PC my friends couldnt see my soul sign even though I placed it down on the ground and they were at the same spot

Turns out there was a bunch of things that came into play like NAT type, instancing, level restrictions etc as well as the game just being bugged but it never meant it wasn't possible. Just excruciatingly difficult

georly

I thought I read that you couldn't? Is there a source to a quote where he says you can?

I thought they strongly emphasized multiplayer was never really a thing.

BokehKing

Banned
Two players found each other in the same star system. They met on a planet and a space station, stood in the exact same place but were unable to see each other.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wxydf/im_about_to_meet_another_player_seriously

I'm posting this because this was legitimately my biggest question about this game, and it's good to see it answered definitively.
Well....damn
I would have been happy with at least a vision or ghost like in demons souls

As with many other things, Murray was coy with details. However, I think there's a difference between coy with details vs. outright lying. I don't think Murray has ever done the latter.

He's always implied that the chief barrier to meeting other players is the enormous distance between them. He never actually said "and also each player has his/her own instance so other players don't appear".

With that said, I'm willing to bet there's more to seeing other people than simply being at the same spot at once. Either there's another in-game factor that people haven't figured out, or there's an actual technical issue on Hello Games' side.

Ozium

the time in the photo is clearly different

thus they are at different points in space-time and not in the same place

physics

Leunam

I think it's weird that people thought you'd be able to.

I don't see anything weird about that at all. It seems like a completely logical expectation.

I'd wait to hear how it actually works first but I'm not seeing why this is unreasonable to ask for.

Although maybe the fact that I've been on a media blackout this whole time has clouded what I've come to expect out of this game.

I always thought it sounded strange to say that there was network communication between players but they would almost never run into each other. Why put the work into it if nobody will ever see it?

pj

Banned
I think it's weird that people thought you'd be able to. Maybe I missed an interview where Murray said otherwise.

“We’re not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen. We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.”

https://www.vg247.com/2014/12/11/you-wont-be-playing-no-mans-sky-with-your-friends/

Seems pretty clear to me this exact situation should work

Rellik

That would still be an issue as it doesn't say that nor any way to change instances

Yeah, I agree.

I'm not trying to blindly defend the game, or anything like that. Just a thought that this could be set up like that. Or, of course, it may just have no MP.

Either way, an answer would be nice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think this is definitive.

We still don't know a lot of details including how the instancing works, if servers and connectivity issues are coming into play

Shhh, he was on a crusade in the Review Impressions thread.

Will not move one bit on the fact this could be a myriad of reasons. Such as bug/syncing issue/server issue/implementation table, etc..

We don't

When Dark Souls launched on PC my friends couldnt see my soul sign even though I placed it down on the ground and they were at the same spot

Turns out there was a bunch of things that came into play like NAT type, instancing, level restrictions etc as well as the game just being bugged but it never meant it wasn't possible. Just excruciatingly difficult

Same thing happened when Demon's Souls launched on the PS3. A friend and I had the same issue, until it got ironed out.

physics

Time is relative and all that jazz. We just do not share the same relatives. ;P

ElFly

I somehow never got the impression it was multiplayer

afaik the only multiplayer thing they have is naming the planets

PFD

I mean, if there's a 0.01% chance to encounter another player, then it wouldn't be worth investing in the multiplayer infrastructure to allow players to meet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a bit annoying that they don't say it straight forward. Instead it's this continuous beating around the bush how it's very improbable.

brau

physics

you and your common sense have no place here :D we are trying to outrage about No Man Sky!
LOL!

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762688708764135425?lang=en-gbMULTIPLAYER

He tried to clear it up, but it was pretty shitty to do so the day before the game comes out. They did a really poor job of showing/not showing their game prior to release. Seems to be a lot of confusion and disappointment with what's there in every discussion I've seen of the game.

Pretty sure he had said that you shouldn't expect a multiplayer experience months ago, but hype blinded people.

I am pretty sure there is a direct quote from Sean Murray saying people "carry round lobbies" or something and they can handle a few people.

Someone will find it, I saw it posted earlier.

I dont think he would lie outright so assuming there are circumstances here.

flkraven

I thought I read that you couldn't? Is there a source to a quote where he says you can?

I thought they strongly emphasized multiplayer was never really a thing.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/8790505/no-mans-sky-preview-e3

I ask Murray how other players figure in this game. He says it's not an MMO. You might see other players on the surface of planets, and you may be able to interact with them on a basic level, but there will be no combat or trading. "It's a bit like Journey," he explains.

And from 2 weeks ago:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

"No Man's Sky": Is it single-player or multiplayer game?

Ultimately, the answer is both. However, the chances of bumping into another player in this colossal universe is extremely thin. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that "No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

Didn't Sean said that only the data were shared on the serv (like the names of the planets, species and such), it'd make sense that you can't see other players. Plus he did say that it's not an MP game, even though he stayed evasive regarding the fact that you can or can't meet another player.

Edit: welp, just saw flkraven post. NVM

Edit 2: He did say 'ultimately' so it could come in a future update.

Regginator

That's very disappointing if true. While statistically you're never going to find anyone anyway, it would've been awesome if -however small the chance- you could actually find someone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
“We’re not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen. We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.”

https://www.vg247.com/2014/12/11/you-wont-be-playing-no-mans-sky-with-your-friends/

Seems pretty clear to me this exact situation should work

But if this would have worked and everyone is sharing the exact same server, people could technically congregate in huge numbers on a single planet by just sharing their location online and navigating towards that spot. Which is exactly what he said is not possible.

I feel it's basically like the Dark Souls ghost images. You sometimes see one, but you can't interact with them. They are just signs of other people playing.

Seiniyta

What's also possible is that currently it's bugged and doesn't properly put people in the lobby as he explained it before.
Or it could just be servers overloaded because day 1?

I'm not going to draw the conclusion yet it's simply not in the game. A bit too prematurely imo.

shandy706

I've watched a lot of Star Trek. They're in the same place, at the same time, at different times.

Yep...maybe you can "sense" each other's presence!!
I'm ok with this. Also, there's a MASSIVE chance the game isn't functioning properly this early either...tons of possible glitches or scenarios. Not worried about it.

pj

Banned
I mean, if there's a 0.01% chance to encounter another player, then it wouldn't be worth investing in the multiplayer infrastructure to allow players to meet.

There is no real infrastructure in P2P multiplayer. It's really not that difficult to do simple MP these days. I've seen games developed in a couple months by an individual have multiplayer.

Psoelberg

The team have also said that it's never guaranteed that you will see another player just because you are at the same spot. It's about servers and connecting among other things.

BibiMaghoo

I feel like if that was the case they could and should have just said so. This makes me look upon them with disdain. Don't bullshit people about what can potentially happen in a game. Ask Peter Molyneux about how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom