• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulUnison

Banned
People are too used to getting their information straight away, it's 10am on a Wednesday Sean is probably working tooth and nail to get the release for PC ready.

Ok, first of all, what the hell do you mean by "straight away?"
Obviously this question hasn't been answered the entire time this game's been in development, and now the game's out, people are playing it, and it still has a big question mark hovering over it.
At what point in the last year or more or in the coming days is going to count as "straight away" for you?
What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Second, don't do that.
Don't pretend this whole game is being made in some dark sweatshop by one guy on a computer and we all need to be quiet so he can get his work done.

Re-read my last post.

While you're at it, re read this (your) post and try to get some perspective. This really, really isn't something worth getting this upset over. Like, really take a step back and see how upset you are over something that's not a big deal. Even if it turns out it's not in the game, I just can't believe it could cause someone this much grief. And we don't even know if it's true yet lol

Sorry, but I'm not upset, or even agitated, really. I don't have the money for this game one way or another at the moment, so I'm sure when it's time to decide whether to open my wallet I'll have more of an idea what I'm actually getting, but how can you not see that's the problem? I've been following the devs commentary and the game's marketing for a year or more, and now the game's out and if I go to spend $60, I still don't know what exactly I'm getting on a pretty fundamental level.

So, no - your attempt at a verbose "u mad, Bro?" isn't going to shake me.

Re-read my last post.

While you're at it, re read this (your) post and try to get some perspective. This really, really isn't something worth getting this upset over. Like, really take a step back and see how upset you are over something that's not a big deal. Even if it turns out it's not in the game, I just can't believe it could cause someone this much grief. And we don't even know if it's true yet lol

What upsets me far more than the potential lie is the people trying to stop me from discussing said lie.

Dinjooh

I'm just saying, based on the last several pages, you seem extreeeemly worked up about a feature that may or may not still be in the game.

Like let's say it isn't. Either you love the game, and this one feature completely ruins it to the point where you spend this much time freaking out about it on gaf.

Or

You already didn't like the game and you're using this as a jumping off point.

Both of those seem rather silly. And that's also ignoring option 3, where the thing you're throwing a fit over actually works and this whole thing is *clap* "fucking nothing".

Or in my case; I was interested in the game and looking forward to buying it, but this has soured me on the whole thing.

Like, even if the chances of meeting another player is insanely low, it's knowing that it is actually possible that excites me. Much like space travel in the our world.

Necro900

So tell me what are the online features?

Meeting another player, uploading discoveries, maybe?

But why the question though? They've added them, but right now the servers are too loaded to function properly.

If you can't connect to a WoW server on day one do you also conclude that Blizzard lied to you and that no such game as WoW exists?

Bedlam

I like that, in order to criticize the game, people have been:
1) not reading OPs
2) not reading articles
3) not watching videos (DF framerate drop case)
4) straight pretending not to understand proper english.

Here, let me get the bit you all should have read:

We added a 'scan for other players' in the Galactic Map to try to encourage this happening. We wanted it to happen - but the first day?

We want people to be aware they are in a shared universe. We added online features, and some Easter Eggs to create cool moments. We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. [...]It is a testament to how amazing our network coders are that Discoveries are still working at all.

Can't really tell what's so cryptic about it. Servers are hammered, it's a miracle that the discoveries upload is still working, and people go on with the "he lied!!1!!!" thing?

Fucking hell, I don't know what to say, learn to read?
That this is a shared universe and people see planets named by other players is clear and understood by everyone.

However, the question now is "can you see other players' [character models]?" -> He gives no straight answer and dodges the subject every time despite having been clear about it in previous interviews. He said only other players can see what you look like back then. Now suddenly at release he won't commit to a straight answer.

"Cool moments". Not a word about players seeing each other.

Don't pretend this whole game is being made in some dark sweatshop by one guy on a computer and we all need to be quiet so he can get his work done.

Are you being condescending on purpose? oh and I will, he does have a full time job with a release on Friday. He's tweeted already today that online "interactions", whatever they be, are not working.

What upsets me far more than the potential lie is the people trying to stop me from discussing said lie.
don't confuse people calling out your posts with people trying to stop discussion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whatever the end reasoning is, this response from the community seems like a great way to make sure devs never actually try to put big surprises in games anymore. It's bad enough already that we day 1 guides and data mining.

The surprises are not explicitly mentioned in tens of interviews before. Or are you saying that the surprise is that there is no space encounter in the game?

This dude worked probably ungodly hours for who knows how long and finally released his baby, and people are stressing about his Twitter comments on maybe the best/most exciting/stressful day of his life.

It's his job. He should hire a PR guy if he can't handle it all. He should probably hire a PR guy anyhow, going by how the vision mix with the reality in all the communication.

gossi

I packet captured my PS4. When the servers are online, no player movement data is sent to servers, either in space or planet side. It simply doesn't transmit where you are, or any world sharing information.

It does transmit your Discovers, and a diary of planets you have visited. I imagine that is for the Easter eggs.

Also, if you press 'OPTIONS' it pauses the entire game world, including AI (watch creatures and ships stop) and *time*. Planets stop moving and time stops passing when in OPTIONS. This is *not* a multiplayer game.

Zomba13

Or in my case; I was interested in the game and looking forward to buying it, but this has soured me on the whole thing.

Like, even if the chances of meeting another player is insanely low, it's knowing that it is actually possible that excites me. Much like space travel in the our world.

Also, the fact that if you can't ever meet another player then the developer has lied for years to multiple outlets about a feature not in the game and hasn't given any word on it being cut or being implemented in a future update and that can certainly sour people on a game and the developers.

GHG

Gold Member
So tell me what are the online features?
Because seeing a ghost of someones ship lunching from a planet is an online feature. But interacting with that person is a completely different story.

Maybe he wants people to figure it out for themselves and experience it rather than him telling everyone? An Easter egg isn't an Easter egg anymore if the dev tells everyone what it is on his Twitter page.

If it's a big deal in your decision on whether to purchase the game or not then maybe just wait a week or two to see what actually can and can't be done once the servers are up and running properly.

Really? Even if there was a bug being able to see someone would be a feature they would have implemented beforehand and therefore would know if it exists or not.
I dunno. I been following this game for a long time and I feel he has been pretty clear. Yes it is possible. If the feature is not there then everyone has the right to be pissed. It would be a lie. But he has said yes it is possible so many times. He has never said no its not possible. He said this is not a MP game, which is true. I feel like people are waiting for him to say no but arent getting that answer.

Speely

Banned
I packet captured my PS4. When the servers are online, no player movement data is sent to servers, either in space or planet side. It simply doesn't transmit where you are, or any world sharing information.

It does transmit your Discovers, and a diary of planets you have visited. I imagine that is for the Easter eggs.

Also, if you press 'OPTIONS' it pauses the entire game world, including AI (watch creatures and ships stop) and *time*. Planets stop moving and time stops passing when in OPTIONS. This is *not* a multiplayer game.

Welp

ISee

But why the question though? They've added them, but right now the servers are too loaded to function properly.

If you can't connect to a WoW server on day one do you also conclude that Blizzard lied to you and that no such game as WoW exists?

You know what. I just went on their Twitter and some of you need to learn to read:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270760240713728

Understandably still not enough, because it is vague. Maybe he doesn't want to ruin a nice surprise but 'online features' can mean various stuff like

-seeing who discovered a planet
-having a leader board off how long other players needed to reach the center.
-seeing a ghost of someone flying around (asynchronous)
-being able to see and interact with another player (live)

But what is it? And can two players really find each other? We still don't know.

SoulUnison

Banned
But they did. The developer stated clearly before release that this was a single player experience, do not expect anything else.

The developer also continually talked about the "wow" factor of meeting another player in game and realizing what you both look like for the first time.

The developer was also directly asked "Will we be able to play with our friends?" and answered "Yes."

Inviusx

Quoting so people cant ignore this.

gosox333

It's had to have been brought up in this thread already, but they've gone as far as to say that the only way you'd know what your character looks like is by running into another player.

That could either be taken to mean that you could potentially be running into other players and finding out what you look like, or that you'll simply never be finding out what you look like. This non-meet up along with the adamant 'it was never supposed to be multiplayer' response in this thread makes it look like the latter is the case.

There's some sort of disconnect between HG and fans if an easy response to an easy question becomes as convoluted as all of that.

Bedlam

Maybe he wants people to figure it out for themselves and experience it rather than him telling everyone? An Easter egg isn't an Easter egg anymore if the dev tells everyone what it is on his Twitter page.

If it's a big deal in your decision on whether to purchase the game or not then maybe just wait a week or two to see what actually can and can't be done once the servers are up and running properly.
Meeting other players - as in: seeing their character models - shouldn't be an Easter Egg. Rather, it would be functionality that he announced in interviews months ago. Why would he suddenly not talk about it? There is nothing to spoil since he already mentioned it.

That's disingenuous, Blizzard was never vague about gameplay features or what you could do or not do in their MMO. Despite Murray's tweets, it's still not clear what you can or cannot do, and his tweets open to interpretation: "online interactions" well, what are those exactly?
I understand the idea of iterative design, but a direct answer would be nice, and not "we hope it would be possible"

ISee

I get that. BUT do you really think reconfirming that people can indeed find each other (live) would spoil something after this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

It's not like this feature was supposed to be super secret after he promoted it on several occasions.

I think it's fairly obvious that Sean and co. are being intentionally vague.

The game lives or dies on its ability to deliver a "sense of wonder" and divulging its inner workings would run counter to that goal.

Clearly, even if meeting another player is possible, they don't wish to confirm it one way or the other, other than to set expectations for a single player experience.

Why can't they just come out and be clear? "Discovering each other" implies you can see each other. Seems you can't. So just say that. This is very strange.

I think it's fairly obvious that Sean and co. are being intentionally vague.

The game lives or dies on its ability to deliver a "sense of wonder" and divulging its inner workings would run counter to that goal.

Clearly, even if meeting another player is possible, they don't wish to confirm it one way or the other, other than to set expectations for a single player experience.
How is clearing up a simple feature (You can or can not meet other players) taking away from a "sense of wonder". This makes no sense.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Well, this is quite clear then.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Re-read my last post.

As I said before, I'm already kinda bored with the game. I'm not defending it to defend it. I just can't wrap my head around the devastation that's been cause from a minor feature that may or may not be in the game.

er yes? If someone bought the game on the premise of what was communicated through interviews and marketing, that's called false advertising, and yes, the company is liable.

SoulUnison

Banned
Sean tweeted a day before launch saying it's not a multiplayer game. Steam also now lists as single player.

Oh cool, so if I tell people for a year or more that I'm developing red shirts, a ton of people give me advance money and I go around on interview circuits talking about how red these shirts are, then a day before release put out a stealth tweet about how the shirts are blue and they've possibly always been blue and blue is a color people love - that makes it OK?

I feel like i'm in a political thread, for some reason.

I feel like we have a strong legal case here tbh

OdysseusVA
"I would recommend betting against me."

I'll...pass.

Scotch

Most important post in this thread.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So why did he say you could play with friends
He said you can play with friends?
All he's talked about is being able to see others. And seeing them don't make it a MP game, especially if it's very rare.

I wouldn't mind them just saying it, again, to conform or deny it but some people are overly upset about this issue on the first day, which might be down to numerous connection and server issues.

Necro900

That this is a shared universe and people see planets named by other players is clear and understood by everyone.

However, the question now is "can you see other players' [character models]?" -> He gives no straight answer and dodges the subject every time despite having been clear about it in previous interviews. He said only other players can see what you look like back then. Now suddenly at release he won't commit to a straight answer.

"Cool moments". Not a word about players seeing each other.

They can't exactly "hope" to see people find other people's discoveries, can they?. Because that already happens. So, since the fuss is about seeing each other and that there are no other online features in the game at all... well, we both know he's talking about meeting each other. He even referenced it in the first and second tweet:

("Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind" - We added a 'scan for other players' in the Galactic Map to try to encourage this happening. We wanted it to happen - but the first day?")

And the thing is, nobody expected such thing to happen on day one, when servers do not function properly.

Go figure, his first tweets are related to the latter ones published shortly after. Language, how does it work?

ISee

gossi

Oh cool, so if I tell people for a year or more that I'm developing red shirts, a ton of people give me advance money and I go around on interview circuits talking about how red these shirts are, then a day before release put out a stealth tweet about how the shirts are blue and they've possibly always been blue and blue is fine - that makes it OK?

I feel like i'm in a political thread, for some reason.

I was not defending anything. I posted about my packet captures of the server communication, I'm not defending OR complaining about Hello. I'm just saying before launch they said "no multiplayer" and technically I can say for sure you can not see other players in real time, as there is no netcode for it.

Also, I'm not bashing MNS here. I love the game.

Makes sense, locally the game just runs a simulation based on the interaction data from the servers and populate the planet with stuff from that.

Rndm

There is no way to know from that video when he said those things. Nor do we know if it when the feature was canned (if so), or if he was outright lying there (I have absolutely not the feeling he is lying in those interviews. I feel like at that time the feature was there, but who knows, right).

The Colbert interview is less than a year old (3 October 2015): https://youtu.be/ZqeN6hj4dZU?t=5m42s

It is the most recent one (the Sony one is from E3 2014 and the Gamer Informer one is from December 2014).

And tbh, if it was a feature they were planning on having, even still in late 2015, and it got canned then they should have been very vocal about it as soon as it got canned. Confirming something that doesn't end up being in the game and being so silent and/or ambiguous about it really makes him look like he never left EA, despite him mentioning that this game was made by a small team every chance he gets.

ResoRai

Thanks for doing that. Damn shame.
Not saying the game won't be great without that interactivity, but the possibility of running into other people seemed really exciting.
Still excited, just a bit less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom