A pregnant man's tragedy tests gender notions

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
unless i'm missing something, why can they not be treated under their birth sex, when you go to a doctor you tick off any drugs you are taking, there's an element of personal responsibility involved

and in the cases where you're in an emergency and cannot immediately disclose that information, they will draw blood and make the conclusions themselves
That's the thing, really...I feel the patient should be honest and forthcoming with their whole medical history, and while the goal of many trans people is to live in "stealth mode" in everyday public life, they should not try to hide their birth sex from their medical practitioners.

I'm working right now so I can't get too detailed on the many variances that should be taken into account for treating medically transitioning trans patients...but most everything needs to be taken into account or the levels can appear very strange or even harmful if read strictly based on birth sex. There's a reason many doctors refuse to take on transgender patients...it's because things become way more complicated, and most medical providers are simply under-trained on these issues.

Even those doctors who are competently trained for transgender patients (as more and more endocrinologists are), they still need to carefully monitor each patient individually according to their specific needs. Trans patients will all react differently to hormone replacement therapy. (Then you have patients like me who are almost in-between transgender and intersex due to abnormal genetics making things even more confusing for these poor doctors.)

I don't envy the task these trained doctors have in caring for such a widely diverse group, but I am eternally grateful for those out there who strive to provide care for us. 💜

Darias

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2004
Kobol
You are missing the biochemistry involved.

The hormones taken by transitioning individuals aren't just medicine; they have long term and cascading effects across the vast majority of their bodies. Many things can be effected - not only mood, but neurology, stimuli response, chemical response... everything.

x1

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
this is something about transitioning that always bothered me. What is the endgame here? If the goal is to help these people cope with mental issues and how they feel about themselves, why are we playing along when physical pain is occurring? How is this helping? Biological reality isn't changing, and when you're outside of the hospital, you can be whatever you want, but when you're in an ER crying about abdominal pain, and no one can figure out why, maybe it's time to stop the bullshit?

Adding a variable option to me just sounds like pandering to the ego of people who refuse to accept reality. Listen to your body, even if you don't like it, and tell your doctor the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
this is something about transitioning that always bothered me. What is the endgame here? If the goal is to help these people cope with mental issues and how they feel about themselves, why are we playing along when physical pain is occurring? Physical reality isn't changing, and when you're outside of the hospital, you can be whatever you want, but when you're in an ER crying about abdominal pain, and no one can figure out why, maybe it's time to stop the bullshit?

Adding a variable option to me just sounds like pandering to the ego of people who refuse to accept reality. Listen to your body, even if you don't like it, and tell your doctor the truth.
I mean the trans patient did tell the nurse they were trans.....

Problem is if this isn't relayed to other staff and it isn't readable in a system.

Reactions: Ailynn

Damage Inc

Nov 10, 2013
Shouldn't medical records list someone's actual gender and not their "social" gender or whatever? In medical situations where life and death is on the line here, I think that sort of stuff would be important information.
This is true but if the patient says they are whatever gender and they look that way a nurse is probably gonna go with what they say until it comes down to the business end of the meeting.

And a little side note. Someone I work with has a trans kid. Maybe 15. She transitioned to a boy and was celebrated and encouraged by the parents because she felt off. Now she has a beard and looks very much like a boy. Spoke with the mother for a business issue and she said he “son” tried to commit suicide. Needless to say I was not shocked considering the stats on Transgenderisim and suicide.

Maybe if she would have got the right treatment for this kid and not just run with it things may be different in at least there isn’t this extra layer of confusion added to the child.

Last edited:

Barsinister

Jan 16, 2008
USA
I really don't understand the whole thing at all, and feel like any contribution would be folly. I just have a hard time believing that the artificial nature of the "transition" process can actually alter one's DNA. The chromosomes don't become XY to XX. These are permanent, yes? To go off the hormones one would go back to "birth sex" and just be surgically altered to appear opposite? The idea that hormones can force that big a natural chemical reaction seems unbelievable to me. Male pheromones are the result of male DNA. It seems unalterable to me. But, like I said, I don't know.

An insect growth regulator does not inhibit the insects ability to reproduce. All it does is harden the keritin in the dermal layer of the insect. They basically cannot "shed their skin" when they go through the instar process. It's all too much for me, but there are too many posts about this topic, in my opinion.

TeamGizzyy

Neo Member
Feb 18, 2019
Sooo... If he/she/it decided to identify as a truck, should they have ordered up tests for an oil change or something? The fact that you can just identify as anything on medical charts is absolutely stupid

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I really don't understand the whole thing at all, and feel like any contribution would be folly. I just have a hard time believing that the artificial nature of the "transition" process can actually alter one's DNA. The chromosomes don't become XY to XX. These are permanent, yes? To go off the hormones one would go back to "birth sex" and just be surgically altered to appear opposite? The idea that hormones can force that big a natural chemical reaction seems unbelievable to me. Male pheromones are the result of male DNA. It seems unalterable to me. But, like I said, I don't know.

An insect growth regulator does not inhibit the insects ability to reproduce. All it does is harden the keritin in the dermal layer of the insect. They basically cannot "shed their skin" when they go through the instar process. It's all too much for me, but there are too many posts about this topic, in my opinion.
Sadly, it is impossible to alter one's chromosomes. What I used to believe was pheromones (scents produced by the body and reception toward the scents of others) will absolutely change in most transitioning transgender people, as they are tied to hormones. I just read however that there is no scientific proof for sex pheromones in humans, but who knows.

I do know from personal experience that body scent and sexual attraction can change quite drastically...as previously I was completely asexual, and now I have occasional attraction for men. I've been told I "smell like a girl" by several people...sweat, my hair, my skin, etc. My sense of smell also became much stronger, and the way some food tastes even changed for me.

I had a coworker that knew me before transitioning, and neither of us would have dreamed of ever finding the other even remotely attractive. However, years later and after I transitioned...we met up for lunch one day. There was a very surprising and mutual intensely strong attraction that occurred. From what I could tell, appearances played a small part...but there was something else neither of us could understand. Something invisible...just a strange sexual magnetism. Nothing happened between us, but still...if that wasn't because of pheromones, I'm not sure what to call it. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

Barsinister

Jan 16, 2008
USA
Sadly, it is impossible to alter one's chromosomes. What I used to believe was pheromones (scents produced by the body and reception toward the scents of others) will absolutely change in most transitioning transgender people, as they are tied to hormones. I just read however that there is no scientific proof for sex pheromones in humans, but who knows.

I do know from personal experience that sexual attraction can change...as previously I was completely asexual, and now I have occasional attraction for men.

I had a coworker that knew me before transitioning, and neither of us would have dreamed of ever finding the other even remotely attractive. However, years later and after I transitioned...we met up for lunch one day. There was a very surprising and mutual intensely strong attraction that occurred. From what I could tell, appearances played a small part...but there was something else neither of us could understand. Something invisible...just a strange sexual magnetism. Nothing happened between us, but still...if that wasn't because of pheromones, I'm not sure what to call it... 🤷‍♀️
It seems like we have had this conversation before. I remembered it, which is why I posted again, albeit in a different thread on the same topic. Let me ask you your opinion on this. I assume you've been in both male and female restrooms, yes? You can tell just by smelling which is which. If you were blindfolded and sent in a bathroom, you would be able to know if you were in a men's or women's, couldn't you? And not just because of perfume either. Women "smell" different from men, that is true on the face of it. A wife will wear her husband's shirt when he is away because it smells like him. Dogs mark their territory with a chemical scent. Without perfume, do you think you "smell" like a woman? I don't know another way to phrase it without potentially offending, so I apologize for the question in advance.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
It seems like we have had this conversation before. I remembered it, which is why I posted again, albeit in a different thread on the same topic. Let me ask you your opinion on this. I assume you've been in both male and female restrooms, yes? You can tell just by smelling which is which. If you were blindfolded and sent in a bathroom, you would be able to know if you were in a men's or women's, couldn't you? And not just because of perfume either. Women "smell" different from men, that is true on the face of it. A wife will wear her husband's shirt when he is away because it smells like him. Dogs mark their territory with a chemical scent. Without perfume, do you think you "smell" like a woman? I don't know another way to phrase it without potentially offending, so I apologize for the question in advance.
Oh definitely! There's a noticeable difference for sure. Also, I never use perfume or scented deodorant. It's just me now, apparently. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(Also, no need to apologize at all! It takes a lot to offend me.) :)

Reactions: Tesseract

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
You are missing the biochemistry involved.

The hormones taken by transitioning individuals aren't just medicine; they have long term and cascading effects across the vast majority of their bodies. Many things can be effected - not only mood, but neurology, stimuli response, chemical response... everything.
that's accounted for in the blood work analysis, but i take your point

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
My mind basically implodes anytime I see stories like this. "Pregnant man", are people being serious or are they just trolling? I wish it was the later because the former pisses me off...

I think it'd be easier for these people to try and accept reality instead of complicating things honestly.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
How does a transgender man get pregnant? What is he, both transgender and “gay”?

onehitflunder

Dec 10, 2018
"let´me (double) check"

... feel sorry for all those that decided to master the juice of Gynaecology. They might regret their decision of work choice ... "dang it, nao i has to deal witz dis nuts"