• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question about Sony games on PC

Agent X

I thought about a way Sony could accomplish this.

I will use Steam as an example, but this could possibly apply to other PC marketplaces like GOG, Epic Games Store, etc.

Microsoft currently allows you to cross-buy some digital games on PC and Xbox One/Series X/Series S through their own marketplace. On the PC, you would have to purchase through Windows Store. If you purchase their digital PC games from another PC marketplace, then you do not get cross-buy with the console versions.

For Sony to match this concept, they could partner with Steam. You could purchase a Sony game through Steam, and be granted a PSN code to redeem for the PS4/PS5 versions of the same game. Or, you could buy a digital game for PS4/PS5, and receive a Steam code for the matching PC version.

In order to prevent reselling of the PSN code or Steam code, they should also have some sort of account linking between PSN and Steam. They should also do one of the following:

• Generate a PSN code that could only be redeemed by the linked PSN account, or generate a Steam code that could only be redeemed by the linked Steam account. (Not sure how feasible this would be.)
  • Instead of giving the user the code, the store (on the back end) would immediately redeem the code on the linked store for the other platform. (This would also make the process simpler for the user).
I am not sure how easy this would be to implement, but it is certainly something Sony should consider.

ManaByte

For Sony to match this concept, they could partner with Steam. You could purchase a Sony game through Steam, and be granted a PSN code to redeem for the PS4/PS5 versions of the same game. Or, you could buy a digital game for PS4/PS5, and receive a Steam code for the matching PC version
Portal on PS3 used Steam.

reksveks

I thought about a way Sony could accomplish this.

Are you referring to only first party games?

To me, think the current issue is what I mentioned in a previous comment. Play Anywhere isn't used by every publisher and I have to assume a part of it is a commercial issue. Technically there are probably a number of solutions here.

Can't anyone remind me if switching store location for Steam to get great regional pricing still a thing? That might cause issues.

sainraja

Comes down to the console mentality of needing exclusives to make the console feel special. It is 2021 and we've still got console list wars popping up here and there. Does it hurt anything? Just feelings is all. No one is losing anything with Uncharted coming to PC. Just more gamers being able to play more games. I'll never see that as a bad thing, personally.

Sony store or not, I'd love to see Sony work with Valve to sync achievements to trophies. Seeing a Platinum trophy pop up while playing a PS game on PC would be a dream come true.
Trophy integration is important for me. I am not a trophy hunter or anything but I'd like to have it as an option for PS games. My preferred store on the PC is GOG though. So I kinda want Sony to partner or ALSO support them, lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why the hell do people keep saying this EVERY console cycle. First the Xbox One was the last Xbox, now the Series X is the last Xbox. Stop it, get some help.

Its not even if dedicated hardware totally goes away as much as non dedicated hardware has already surpassed it... there are wayyy more mobile devices people game on than there are home consoles and at some time ( sooner th an later) they will be just as powerful with the ability to stream to your tv just as fast. to be a player at that time Sony and MS need to make moves now not later.

And also much later than next gen at some point... whatever your personal device is will be more than powerful enough for whatever games can be made in a given time and budget. Thats what people mean whenever they say home consoles are going away. you just wont need them at s ome distant point in the future.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony’s PlayStation store is just what it is 80% of the games I buy are on sale and you don’t hear much about PlayStation games on PC because it’s not Sony’s issue.

I can respect that. DRM free games don't interest me and their selection is much smaller.
I can see it from both sides honestly. Some games, I'd much prefer on steam, regardless of DRM. And some games I'll get on GOG, but still, preferably on steam. Very few times, this can bite you in the ass, which is where GOG can prevail.

RELEASE THEM ON ALL PC STORES!

Fbh

If the Epic store has shown anything it's that most PC games are fiercely loyal to Steam.
Even including the 30% cut (which I think is actually lower if the games sell well), Sony will probably get more money from much higher sales resulting of releasing on Steam as opposed to their own launcher (which, let's be honest, would have a high chance of sucking anyway).

Braag

I mean I'm fine with PS exclusives coming later to PC. They drop in price fast as they are old by then so I can get them cheap.

dcx4610

I'm guessing they didn't do the Sony store thing because they want to charge full price for the game and Steam is a way to do it.

I'm surprised they didn't do an app but I'm happy that they went with Steam and it seems to be a success. Release them all. I'll double dip.

Top Bottom