• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A RAVELING NOON SOUL - XSEED Teases News on Twitter

randomkid

HOLY SHIT GRAND KNIGHTS HISTORY ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME THIS IS FANTASTIC.

Edit: Yeah people who don't care about visuals are not going to be suckered in by this Vanillaware game I imagine, they're always repetitive.

BUT SOME OF US LOVE VISUALS AND MUSIC AND ARE EXTREMELY EXCITED RIGHT NOW.

ctrayne

Aeana said:
I haven't played it. I have been burned enough by Vanillaware's other games to stop trying them. None of them were enjoyable to me. And I was under the impression that most people don't really like them either, but they seem to get so excited about them nonetheless.
This is totally me too. Tried Odin Sphere and had a really crummy time. I also think, while technically amazing, their art style rubs me the wrong way. Reminds me of that GBA remake of Seiken Densetsu. 'scool, though.
I was really hoping for Brandish. Dammit you guys. :)

Aeana said:
I haven't played it. I have been burned enough by Vanillaware's other games to stop trying them. None of them were enjoyable to me. And I was under the impression that most people don't really like them either, but they seem to get so excited about them nonetheless.

Reminds me of Level-5.
Yep, I pretty much think all of their games look fantastic, but never are fun :(. Just can't get into them at all.

I might give this one a chance, I hope the gameplay is fun.

Just what I was hoping for! A turn-based RPG from Vanillaware sounds awesome, and the impressions from the Japanese release's OT certainly sounded good.

randomkid

Folks might want to give this is a try even if you haven't liked previous Vanillaware games since it's a turn-based RPG, unlike any of their past games.

I am a little worried about the online multiplayer focus, but the MENUS and MUSIC and ARTWORK and BACKGROUNDS will assuage me no matter what.

XSEED YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS YOU ARE THE GREATEST.

Aeana said:

Reminds me of Level-5.
I genuinely like Princess Crown, Odin Sphere (except for the horrible end game) and Muramasa.

I'm with you on the Level-5 thing though.

Acosta

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

BTW, I really like Vainillaware games. Grim Grimoire is actually great, Odin and Muramasa may be repetitive and have certain problems but I enjoyed them. I also love the art and even the weird animation, I think it adds to their style.

Paracelsus

PixyJunket said:
I genuinely like Princess Crown, Odin Sphere (except for the horrible end game) and Muramasa.

I'm with you on the Level-5 thing though.

Well, Level-5 got the technical know-how, their engines are pretty solid. In art direction they could use a hand or two...or three.

Refugio

randomkid said:
Folks might want to give this is a try even if you haven't liked previous Vanillaware games since it's a turn-based RPG, unlike any of their past games.

I am a little worried about the online multiplayer focus, but the MENUS and MUSIC and ARTWORK and BACKGROUNDS will assuage me no matter what.

XSEED YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS YOU ARE THE GREATEST.

The fact that it's turn-based is what made me interested in it. I've actually never played a Vanillaware game before though.

Rarutos said:
I thought the end game was one of the best parts! :eek:
Mechanically, it was a disaster.

Unless I missed something obvious, if you didn't know actually about it beforehand and properly prepared for it, you could easily screw yourself into going into it with no items, etc. And the only way to prepare a character after the fact was to REPLAY THEIR ENTIRE SCENARIO. I quit in frustration after that.

Grimmy

Banned
Dreams restored. Please be Grand Knights History!!!

That said, I think the chance of Half-Minute Hero 2 and Dangun-Ronpa getting localized is now next to nil.

Rarutos said:
I thought the end game was one of the best parts! :eek:

Same here. It was pretty refreshing to see a bunch of new bosses and backgrounds, and the music matched the climactic feel perfectly.

My favorite Vanillaware game is definitely Muramasa: The Demon Blade, but GrimGrimoire was a pleasant surprise too. Anyway, I'm just excited that Grand Knights History isn't being left behind. : ) (probably?)

PixyJunket said:

Unless I missed something obvious, if you didn't know actually about it beforehand and properly prepared for it, you could easily screw yourself into going into it with no items, etc. And the only way to prepare a character after the fact was to REPLAY THEIR ENTIRE SCENARIO. I quit in frustration after that.

That did suck...I agree.

HOW DID I FORGET GRIMGRIMOIRE?!

Yes, I liked that game a lot too, although I never played it as much as the others (and maybe now is a good time to correct that).

Grimmy said:
That said, I think the chance of Half-Minute Hero 2 and Dangun-Ronpa getting localized is now next to nil.
I guess the Half-Minute Hero 2 in Europe thing fell through?

I checked the thread it was revealed in and the store links that had the listings are now invalid.

randomkid

PixyJunket said:

That's not actually true, you didn't have to replay the ENTIRE scenario, you could stop whenever you wanted and the save would carry through. So I think for Mercedes I played through maybe the first chapter again to get materials for some potions, saved, and then loaded the endgame again.

I mean, yeah it was clunky and unintuitive but who cares the bosses looked SO GOOD and the ending was amazing.

It's one of the prettiest PSP games period, but was it any good? I'd like to hear impressions from people who actually tried it. I think Vanillaware's games are a hit and miss personally.

randomkid said:
That's not actually true, you didn't have to replay the ENTIRE scenario, you could stop whenever you wanted and the save would carry through. So I think for Mercedes I played through maybe the first chapter again to get materials for some potions, saved, and then loaded the endgame again.
I really don't think that's true because I would have tried everything (and it really stuck with me as something that ruined a game I really loved otherwise). But if it is, I may need to hop back on the PS2 and finally see the last part of that game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aeana said:

Reminds me of Level-5.
It seems like you enjoy very little.

Takao

Banned
PixyJunket said:
I guess the Half-Minute Hero 2 in Europe thing fell through?

I checked the thread it was revealed in and the store links that had the listings are now invalid.

Yeah, the publishers who were listed in those retailer listings even said they had absolutely nothing to do with that.

zoner said:
It seems like you enjoy very little.

There's a lot of Dragon Quest games.

randomkid

PixyJunket said:
I really don't think that's true because I would have tried everything (and it really stuck with me as something that ruined a game I really loved otherwise). But if it is, I may need to hop back on the PS2 and finally see the last part of that game.

Get to hoppin cuz I definitely didn't replay entire scenarios and saw everything. The save system is really oddly set up so I know why you'd be confused. What you need to do is save after you've gotten your materials in whatever chapter and then quit. Then when you reload your latest save, just pick the final scenario book and all your characters will have everything you just picked up.

Oh and obviously Aeana can defend herself but if visuals/story/characters mean nothing to you then I could definitely see why you wouldn't like Level 5/Vanillaware. And if you want to see the number of games she's enjoyed just google Aeana RPGs list and check out the first result.

PixyJunket said:

I just didn't like that revisiting a chapter meant starting at the beginning, but I guess it's not such a bad thing since the stats, items, and scrolls carry over. To beat
The Cauldron and the final dragon
, I revisit two books and cooked up some health and buffing items, then took them into
Armageddon

My biggest beef with the game is the slowdown during certain boss fights. Yuck... Thankfully, the last string of bosses didn't have any problems if I remember right....

Luigi87

Well this is really awesome news overall.

... A shame it isn't Senran Kagura.
I mean, not that I want that or anything...

Really great news about Grand Knights History.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any impressions on GKH?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Great news. Xseed doing what they should be doing.

C-Jo said:
Boob Ninja is actually going to be the North American name for it.
I would buy it just to place it prominently on my shelf whenever I have visitors.

Oh cool. Can't wait for XSEED to release it on every PSN store except the Australia and New Zealand ones.

Give us the Ys games all f'n ready. Jerks.

DiscoJer

jackdoe said:
That's not the answer to the anagram for "A Raveling Noon Soul" though.

I believe it is, Xseed just filled in a few letters to give a hint, it wasn't a new puzzle.

ARavelingNoonSoul
AvalonLogresUnion

Top Bottom