• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Real-Time Particle Physics based game for Xbox Series X and high end PC's by Grant Kot

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What happens when Lockhart is announced will the game be able to be played there? Because if it can he needs to stop acting like it's not possible on the PS5.
Lockhart has the same CPU and this game is more about the tech in Xbox Series X. That is assuming Lockhart is actually a next gen machine, it may even be part of the Xbox One family.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
This is fucking gorgeous.

Sony need to bring the ducks in a bath out quickly

can you idiots stay out of ONE thread please

the rest of us would like to discuss some actually interesting content -- real application of technology in games.

This is reminding me very heavily of "Digital Molecular Matter", anyone remember?

That matter deformation technology that came out for The Force Unleashed and then was never seen again?

I would VERY much like for stuff like this to become common next gen

EDIT:

Oh wait, EVERYTHING is voxels???

So this is essentially on some next-gen Minecraft shit? i'm interested to see what they do with this.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

These videos reminds me of this game, Bound in PS4. Obviously more intricate due to more powerful hardware.

If we can see a full fleshed game with that tech it would be awesome to look at. I loved bound and it has a VR patch. Pretty good imho.

Last edited:
What happens when Lockhart is announced will the game be able to be played there? Because if it can he needs to stop acting like it's not possible on the PS5.
I'm sure they'll be able to optimize this even further cause this has to run on an Xbox One X, right? the CPU in the current generations a joke compared to the new stuff, at least that's what they are saying. Of course what I said could be completely wrong if his game is a Series X exclusive.

LordKasual

Banned
This kind of simulation is probably still way beyond this generation in terms of practical use, outside of like sandbox stuff like this game.

I wonder if anyone can come up with an algorithm that allows optimizing these simulations and approximating them better, without eating up the whole CPU.

GymWolf

the rest of us would like to discuss some actually interesting content -- real application of technology in games.

This is reminding me very heavily of "Digital Molecular Matter", anyone remember?

That matter deformation technology that came out for The Force Unleashed and then was never seen again?

EDIT:

So this is essentially on some next-gen Minecraft shit? i'm interested to see what they do with this.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm sure they'll be able to optimize this even further cause this has to run on an Xbox One X, right? the CPU in the current generations a joke compared to the new stuff, at least that's what they are saying. Of course what I said could be completely wrong if his game is a Series X exclusive.

NO. Only 1st party games have to run on current gen and only until the end of 2021, 3rd party WILL have o run on Lockhart if that's really a thing.

NO. Only 1st party games have to run on current gen and only until the end of 2021, 3rd party WILL have o run on Lockhart if that's really a thing.
I guess play it anywhere only last till 2021? well I guess if you have xCloud you can play an SeX game on your OneX? If Lockhart is a real thing, then they'll have to optimize down, or use a completely different method, right?

LordKasual

Banned

Yeah that's the one. Absolute pity it never got used much.

Also a pity it was never adequately used even in its own game. Lightsaber melting would be an awesome mechanic.

Speaking of which, i'd REALLY like to see THIS concept revisited, except actually the way it was originally advertised......

Metal Gear Rising next-gen could get alot of mileage out of RDNA2's new Mesh shaders on XSX (Geometry Engine for PS5)'s ability to do Occlusion Culling.

Instead of slicing objects and just having a solid with a vague texture inside, they could fully model the internals of the objects being sliced, and the engine doesn't need to render them until they're actually cut and visible.

so slicing a car in half would actually expose its engine/pipes/internals naturally, instead of them having to fake it.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Physics are the real thing, its the most visual game changer we could see next generation. Everything now feel static as hell. worlds feel deadish because of it etc. The best thing i saw in a game physic was was botw where everything just feels alive because of physics. It enhances games massively.

I hope we will see some push forwards on it big time.

SirTerry-T

EDIT:

Voxels....
It's finally time for that Commanche:Maximum Overkill remake!
Seriously though Voxels are one of those things where the technology hasn't quite "been there" to utilise them to their true potential.

I'm a pixel pusher/graphics guy so the tech side flies over my head a bit ;) but I do know that voxels have always been something that are very demanding on the processor and memory side of things, right?

GymWolf

Yeah that's the one. Absolute pity it never got used much.

Also a pity it was never adequately used even in its own game. Lightsaber melting would be an awesome mechanic.

Speaking of which, i'd REALLY like to see THIS concept revisited, except actually the way it was originally advertised......

Metal Gear Rising next-gen could get alot of mileage out of RDNA2's new Mesh shaders on XSX (Geometry Engine for PS5)'s ability to do Occlusion Culling.

Instead of slicing objects and just having a solid with a vague texture inside, they could fully model the internals of the objects being sliced, and the engine doesn't need to render them until they're actually cut and visible.

so slicing a car in half would actually expose its engine/pipes/internals naturally, instead of them having to fake it.

shadow warrior 2 has kinda of a dynamic slicing enemies gore type if you are in these sort od things

LordKasual

Banned
Voxels....
It's finally time for that Commanche:Maximum Overkill remake!
Seriously though Voxels are one of those things where the technology hasn't quite "been there" to utilise them to their true potential.

I'm a pixel pusher/graphics guy so the tech side flies over my head a bit ;) but I do know that voxels have always been something that are very demanding on the processor and memory side of things, right?

Yeah, instead of building geometry with triangles, that more or less approximate the shape of something with geometry, with voxels you're literally building the word with points. For example, instead of a high-quality vase being defined by how many triangles it has to build its shape, it's instead defined by the points that make up its actual volume and where those points in space are at any given time.

Smaller the points, the better it looks, but the higher the density of data you're dealing with. This is why most voxel games are blocky -- by making the points bigger, you lower the "resolution" but it takes less points to build a world.

Quantum Break did also make use of the Digital Molecular Matter technology.

was not aware of that!

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Love the tech demos it show you absolutely the real and clean shit that supposed to be in the actual game .. other than that it’s a tech demo don’t raise your expectations.. tho I’d love to see them on XSX and PS5

No it doesn't have to run on Xbox one X. The mandate is for first party studios just for the first year.

Quantum Break did also make use of the Digital Molecular Matter technology.
The particle effects or whatever it was in that game where a visual treat.

52a64Wm.gif

d9yh9pg-c5a7809e-449a-4871-9048-32b380e4f585.gif

giphy.gif

Can't flipping wait to see what next gen brings us.

kotsoft

Neo Member
Hi I'm the dev of the tech demo. I've also recently started working with an artist and sound engineer (will show up in future devlogs). I do these devlogs because I value feedback and suggestions and they can help shape the final game. I see some concerns about lack of gameplay, and we're working on fleshing out among other things. Currently the idea is an elemental bending combat (like Avatar) game with local multiplayer/co-op (with cloud streaming you can also do it over the internet).

We might focus on the Chinese classical elements instead of the more well-known system: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal & Water. Wood is kind of hinted at with the voxel displacement video and some of my older fibers demos. Fire, I still have lots of work to do. Earth and Metal in some of the solid destruction demos, and then water in the latest demos.

Some moves you might be able to do: Collect and place blocks/shoot out your material, apply forces to your material (attract, repel, drag, vortex), Other move suggestions welcome.

Perhaps there will also be a non-natural faction that chooses to attack via weapons like swords, spears, arrows. Maybe you won't play as them but there can be some kind of tower defense mechanic. Like Fortnite with the zombies before it became battle royale. I really want the gameplay to take advantage of the fact that the whole world can be taken apart to individual voxels or be manipulated and rearranged. So it might be a waste to play as someone who shoots arrows.

As for the console wars, not interested in fueling that. I started to work on this game more seriously when I saw all the Threadrippers coming out last year and yes it will be able to scale up as well as scale down based on your specs. I think when I said "high-end" it got taken too seriously. When I saw the XSX specs I was like, wow, the specs better than my PC on paper and will probably be super affordable, and it uses DirectX, which my game already uses, so might as well roll that into my list of targets. As a small indie dev, I think it's probably best to focus on a single platform and get it right. Lastly, barrier to entry for PS5 is pretty high. No publicly available Graphics API specs or code and pricy devkits.

The current demos are still DX11 and do not require any advanced features. The GPU usage is ~30% and both CPU and GPU code can be optimized further, so I have quite some room to upscale things. I do have some plans to upscale with DX12U. The DX12U feature I'm most excited about is mesh shaders (of course will also be using other features). With mesh shaders instead of being limited to cubes I can have mesh based blocks with LOD. For example, the bricks demo but it can upscale from the cubes to much more geometrically detailed rocky blocks. Or grass and leaves via geometry as opposed to transparent textures.

Top Bottom