• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
THIS THREAD WILL HAVE UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS INCLUDING A DANCE WITH DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!

ADWD spoilers are no longer marked. Anything for future books should be marked.

Well we have enough threads about this series but too many people bitch about spoilers in the other ones.

Here is one WHERE SPOILERS ARE UNMARKED, THERE WILL BE NO SPOILER TAGS IN THIS THREAD.

You have been warned.

We'll talk about the fate of characters and speculate on their future.

Deal with it. If you haven't read the books and just want to know what happens this is the thread for you, if you haven't read the books and don't want to know, go to another thread.

Season 1 Thread with plenty of spoilers

Season 1 Thread WITH NO BOOK SPOILERS

All book's thread, but spoilers are marked

You have been warned....NO SPOILERS WILL BE MARKED IN THIS THREAD.

Let the discussion begin.....
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
Just throwing this out there...I completely forgot the Ygrette died, I was kind of hoping she would stick around for a while longer.

I'm re-reading ASOS right now to get ready for ADWD next month.

FStop7 said:
Ned was a chump.

Robb was a chump.
Joffrey was a chump.

Tywin was a chump.
 

FStop7

Banned
Jan 8, 2009
30,650
0
0
Los Angeles
zmoney said:
Just throwing this out there...I completely forgot the Ygrette died, I was kind of hoping she would stick around for a while longer.

I'm re-reading ASOS right now to get ready for ADWD next month.
I was so happy when Ygritte died because every other sentence she said being "You know nothing Jon Snow" had gotten to be incredibly annoying.

Shae's heel turn genuinely surprised me. I didn't see that one coming.
 

heliosRAzi

Banned
Apr 10, 2007
12,394
0
0
Fuck Joffrey, I'm glad he got his ass poisoned.

And I am really liking Jaime right now. He's a badass even with one hand.

FStop7 said:
I was so happy when Ygritte died because every other sentence she said being "You know nothing Jon Snow" had gotten to be incredibly annoying.

Shae's heel turn genuinely surprised me. I didn't see that one coming.
You know nothing, FStop.

I almost missed Shae's death. I had to go back and read that part again. I feel so sorry for Tyrion.
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
FStop7 said:
I was so happy when Ygritte died because every other sentence she said being "You know nothing Jon Snow" had gotten to be incredibly annoying.

Shae's heel turn genuinely surprised me. I didn't see that one coming.
Well yea thats true, but I was hoping that she would have lived a little longer. Maybe have Jon kill her, he didn't get enough emo angst built up yet.
 

FStop7

Banned
Jan 8, 2009
30,650
0
0
Los Angeles
ZephyrFate said:
IT'S A NICE DAY FOR A

RED WEDDING!
Catelyn: Robb, I have a bad feeling about this. Walder Frey is vengeful and treacherous.

Robb: SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY BOSS ANY MORE

Grey Wind growls and snarls at every Frey

Robb: SHUT UP DOG WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME HERE
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
Oh fuck man, I got totally spoilered you assholes...fuck...fuck this series...god...


;)




Anyway, I really hope Dany gets to Westeros in Dance, but I doubt it.
 

heliosRAzi

Banned
Apr 10, 2007
12,394
0
0
FStop7 said:
Catelyn: Robb, I have a bad feeling about this.

Robb: SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY BOSS ANY MORE

Grey Wind growls and snarls at every Frey

Robb: SHUT UP DOG WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME HERE
Oh man that was so annoying. I could tell it was a trap when they Freys offered it to them. When they said they had to go right then, I knew it was a trap.

Fuck the Freys.
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
On my second re-read of Storm, almost done and then trying to speed through Feast.

And my god, Tyrion's trial is a complete anal rape.

zeroshiki said:
Jon should have been the one who feathered her for maximum angst.
I think that would have been too predictable for Martin though.


FStop7 said:
I was so happy when Ygritte died because every other sentence she said being "You know nothing Jon Snow" had gotten to be incredibly annoying.
I was just glad we never had to read about Jon going down on her again.


LaserBuddha said:
This isn't going to have ADWD spoilers, is it? If not, that needs to made clear in the OP.
I think the thread will go into lockdown around the time of Dance. At least I would hope it would.

That said, most of the diehard fans will be reading Dance anyway, so I can see us doing unmarked spoilers.

Up to the OP, I would prefer we spoiler Dance.

Though having read the preview chapters, I would love to talk about the bits I've read of Dance so far including the tastessogood.gif moment at the Wall in the second or third Jon chapter.
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
FStop7 said:
Catelyn: Robb, I have a bad feeling about this.

Robb: SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY BOSS ANY MORE

Grey Wind growls and snarls at every Frey

Robb: SHUT UP DOG WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME HERE
Robb fucking deserved it...shoulda just left that Westerling chick with a bastard and called it a day. She could have had a damn Eddard Rivers and been happy with it. But no...they had to get married and screw up EVERYTHING.

also fuck Catelying...dumbest character ever.
 

Calculon

Neo Member
Dec 11, 2008
146
0
0
I really hope the Frey's get some absolutely devastating repayment for the red wedding.

It would seem like they would since a bunch of characters go out of their way to explain why guest right is serious business.
 

Maklershed

Member
Jan 4, 2010
15,540
0
0
heliosRAzi said:
And I am really liking Jaime right now. He's a badass even with one hand.
He's my favorite character. What I like about him is he's not just "I'm a bad guy and that sums me up". He's bad but he feels remorse and is worried what people think about him. And I think he genuinely doesn't want to be a bad person .. he just can't help it some times.
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
Basileus777 said:
What about stuff from ADWD preview chapters? Shouldn't that be spoiler tagged?
I've read those a few times over and I'm still pretty scared to talk about them even IN spoiler tags.

That said, have you read it? What did you think of (DANCE SPOILER)
nah


yacobod said:
R+L = J amirite?
I heard there's more hints and some might be misleading but some might go back to N + W.
 

FStop7

Banned
Jan 8, 2009
30,650
0
0
Los Angeles
Something else that surprised me is that for being such a brilliant tactical thinker, Tywin Lannister was pretty dumb to think that Tyrion would have poisoned Joffrey.

Anyhow, the collective stupidity of the Stark family (except for Arya!) would have left me rooting for the Lannisters if it weren't for Cersei and Joffrey. At this point I'm rooting for Littlefinger. I think Dany's going to end up getting backstabbed by Jorah Mormont at some point.
 

LaserBuddha

Member
Jul 31, 2007
9,011
0
0
Basileus777 said:
What about stuff from ADWD preview chapters? Shouldn't that be spoiler tagged?
In the interest of making this a true spoiler tag-free zone, I'd ban the discussion of ADWD content entirely.

Every minute that passes by without this being addressed is a flirtation with disaster.
 

Maklershed

Member
Jan 4, 2010
15,540
0
0
Oh and I hope Arya becomes a completely bad ass assassin and Tarly becomes a powerful mage by the end of the series.
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
So are we all agreed? Dance talk gets put in spoilers?

For hypothetical discussion, of course you can talk outside of spoilers, but inside information or things from preview chapters/summaries should be in tags.

FStop7 said:
Something else that surprised me is that for being such a brilliant tactical thinker, Tywin Lannister was pretty dumb to think that Tyrion would have poisoned Joffrey.
Like I said, I'm reading it and it's kind of agonizing because everyone fucking hates Tyrion. They just assume he did it.

Tyrion has his moment when he could have said "maybe it was Sansa" or even just shrugged when someone mentioned that it could have been Sansa. HE said he was being loyal to his wife despite her hating him. I think it was his one big mistep.

I still can't believe he didn't have at least one friend.


Speaking of which, his goodbye to Bronn, which Martin leads to believe through dialogue and narrative is literally the last time they will ever see each other, is pretty sad.
 

heliosRAzi

Banned
Apr 10, 2007
12,394
0
0
Maklershed said:
He's my favorite character. What I like about him is he's not just "I'm a bad guy and that sums me up". He's bad but he feels remorse and is worried what people think about him. And I think he genuinely doesn't want to be a bad person .. he just can't help it some times.
He's also trying to keep his oath to Cat, which is pretty admirable, especially for him.
 

Basileus777

Member
Aug 6, 2008
33,953
0
0
LaserBuddha said:
Every minute that passes by without this being addressed is a flirtation with disaster.
Well, there isn't really enough stuff out there to even cause a disaster at this point. It should be clarified though.
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
Maklershed said:
Oh and I hope Arya becomes a completely bad ass assassin and Tarly becomes a powerful mage by the end of the series.
I'm waiting for the eventual meetup between noble Jon Snow and badass Faceless Man Arya
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
Having read the preview chapters/summaries and the review (which had a spoiler), the only major things that we can spoil right now are:

****SPOILERS FOR DANCE****

***I'M ACTUALLY SERIOUS***

Tyrion gets captured by slavers
Theon is still alive and captured by Ramsey, who's broken him
Melisandre and Stannis burn Mance Rayder ---
---Jon mercy kills him with bow and arrow
Janos Slynt starts to plot against Jon so he has him hung


Which is my favorite part from the spoilers so far and what I mentioned above as "sogood". Fuck Slynt.


Fjordson said:
The Hound isn't actually dead, right? Right?

I hope not =(
No, there's a 95% chance he's still alive.

Whether he will take up a sword again or not is in doubt. He really stops caring about being a swordsman even in the middle of Storm. He's kind of done.
 

Basileus777

Member
Aug 6, 2008
33,953
0
0
zmoney said:
I'm waiting for the eventual meetup between noble Jon Snow and badass Faceless Man Arya
I kind of doubt Arya ever becomes a faceless(wo)man. Is there even enough time for it to happen without a 5 year gap? I think she ends up failing the training or leaving.
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
bengraven said:
Having read the preview chapters/summaries and the review (which had a spoiler), the only major things that we can spoil right now are:

****SPOILERS FOR DANCE****

***I'M ACTUALLY SERIOUS***

Tyrion gets captured by slavers
Theon is still alive and captured by Ramsey, who's broken him
Melisandre and Stannis burn Mance Rayder ---
---Jon mercy kills him with bow and arrow
Janos Slynt starts to plot against Jon so he has him hung


Which is my favorite part from the spoilers so far and what I mentioned above as "sogood". Fuck Slynt.

I've said fuck Slynt for a long time now. and I can't wait to see Theon as Reek
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
Basileus777 said:
I kind of doubt Arya ever becomes a faceless(wo)man. Is there even enough time for it to happen without a 5 year gap? I think she ends up failing the training or leaving.
It's possible...No one said she had to come back to Westeros before the last book. It could still happen, and at the very least she could pick up some good skills before she returns even if she doesn't complete her training.
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
Basileus777 said:
I kind of doubt Arya ever becomes a faceless(wo)man. Is there even enough time for it to happen without a 5 year gap? I think she ends up failing the training or leaving.
I'm hoping we still get a gap. You're right, she doesn't have enough time. Even if you assume she's been in Braavos for 9 months or so, she still needs more time.

I'm hoping after the setup for a shit storm that is Dance, there's another gap in time before the start of Winds. Though that won't happen because all the Sansa and Brienne chapters he's written were moved to Winds.

zmoney said:
I've said fuck Slynt for a long time now. and I can't wait to see Theon as Reek
I have a feeling he's going to try and redeem himself.
Theon I mean. Despite being a complete fuck who destroyed Winterfell and killed hundreds, even just because of his actions, he makes a few lines in Clash about feeling remorse for what he was doing.

I think with him joining Ramsey on the way to meet up with "Arya", who we suspect is Jeyne Poole, he's going to be the one to say "that's not Arya".
 

aceface

Member
Apr 15, 2005
6,885
0
1,145
Can we do Dance/rest of the series speculation here too?

-Wall falls down, Others stream southwards.
-Danys comes over, fights others, dies at some point or another.
-Jon revealed to be a Targaryen, becomes the de facto king of Westeros while still being the leader of the Night's Watch since all they are mainly doing is fighting the Others anyways.

I had some more but I forgot them.
 

Fjordson

Member
Jul 5, 2010
34,917
1
605
California
bengraven said:
No, there's a 95% chance he's still alive.

Whether he will take up a sword again or not is in doubt. He really stops caring about being a swordsman even in the middle of Storm. He's kind of done.
Yeah, seemed that way. I really love the character, so I hope he shows up again some day.

Also, I've read on few wikis/fansites that specially say Tyrion sailed across the narrow sea after he kills Tywin. Was this ever explicitly stated anywhere in the books? Or is it just assumed?
 

Pollux

Member
Jun 16, 2010
13,363
0
0
backloggery.com
aceface said:
Can we do Dance/rest of the series speculation here too?

-Wall falls down, Others stream southwards.
-Danys comes over, fights others, dies at some point or another.
-Jon revealed to be a Targaryen, becomes the de facto king of Westeros while still being the leader of the Night's Watch since all they are mainly doing is fighting the Others anyways.

I had some more but I forgot them.
Don't think Dany is going to die, although I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

I do think that Mellisandre is off base with Stannis being that one dude returned again, I think its Jon Snow. and Yea R+L=J

Fjordson said:
Yeah, seemed that way. I really love the character, so I hope he shows up again some day.

Also, I've read on few wikis/fansites that specially say Tyrion sailed across the narrow sea after he kills Tywin. Was this ever explicitly stated anywhere in the books? Or is it just assumed?
He's in Pentos at the start of ADWD...presumably he's heading to Dany.
 

aceface

Member
Apr 15, 2005
6,885
0
1,145
Oh oh I remember the other one- after Danys defeats the others and Jon is the de facto king of Westeros, Bran will have learned all the secret magic spells and will oversee the rebuilding of the wall.
 

Basileus777

Member
Aug 6, 2008
33,953
0
0
zmoney said:
It's possible...No one said she had to come back to Westeros before the last book. It could still happen, and at the very least she could pick up some good skills before she returns even if she doesn't complete her training.
Yeah, I have little doubt she'll learn some important/useful things there. There's wouldn't be much point of writing it this way if she didn't.
 

FStop7

Banned
Jan 8, 2009
30,650
0
0
Los Angeles
aceface said:
Can we do Dance/rest of the series speculation here too?

-Wall falls down, Others stream southwards.
-Danys comes over, fights others, dies at some point or another.
-Jon revealed to be a Targaryen, becomes the de facto king of Westeros while still being the leader of the Night's Watch since all they are mainly doing is fighting the Others anyways.

I had some more but I forgot them.
That would make Jon the ultimate Mary Sue.
 

aceface

Member
Apr 15, 2005
6,885
0
1,145
Since Dany can't have kids, there's nothing for her to do except bring her dragons over, fight the others, and die, I think.

I'm still trying to figure out where they are going to get a Targaryen heir from though. I don't think Jon is going to break his vow and he's going to be too busy leading Westeros in their fight vs. the others. There might be another secret Targaryen hanging around. Or maybe there won't be a Targaryen ruler going forward and something crazy like Littlefinger and Sansa's kid will be the start of a new dynasty or something.
 

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Aug 26, 2007
21,325
0
0
Australia
aceface said:
Can we do Dance/rest of the series speculation here too?

-Wall falls down, Others stream southwards.
-Danys comes over, fights others, dies at some point or another.
-Jon revealed to be a Targaryen, becomes the de facto king of Westeros while still being the leader of the Night's Watch since all they are mainly doing is fighting the Others anyways.

I had some more but I forgot them.
AHHHHHHHH

Jon burnt his hand on the lamp when he threw it at the Other or zombie........ fire cant hurt a true Targaryen.

Awhhhh yeah.

PhoenixDark said:
Anyone think Arya and Jon will get married? That would be cool
Wincest, why not. I'm interest in what's going to happen to Bran the gimp rider.
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
Fjordson said:
Yeah, seemed that way. I really love the character, so I hope he shows up again some day.

Also, I've read on few wikis/fansites that specially say Tyrion sailed across the narrow sea after he kills Tywin. Was this ever explicitly stated anywhere in the books? Or is it just assumed?
He's sent away by Varys, but it's never really said where. I think we're all to assume he was sent to Illyrio. Which, you know, he was.


PhoenixDark said:
Anyone think Arya and Jon will get married? That would be cool
I was actually thinking it would be cool if he married Sansa. He has a thing for redheads you know, or at least they find they can't resist him. You never hear either of them remark on the other, except maybe a moment when Sansa says "oh a bastard like my brother Jon Snow". I could see them being forced into a marriage somehow and actually finding peace, after they find out they're cousins, not siblings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.