• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Splinter Cell remake is underway at Ubisoft Toronto

Phase

I saw Splinter Cell and read the title too fast, and now I'm disappointed. A new SC would be awesome, but maybe it's for the best they just remake a good game instead of messing up a new one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't wait for the NFTs and the microtransactions!
Half Baked Reaction GIF

They're probably coming, huh?

EDMIX

True say, Far Cry 6, Watch Dogs Legion and Ass Creed Valhalla are some of the worst games in their respected franchises.

exactly, moving fucking record units in all, nasty, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Ubisoft right now :
crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

I mean...you'd have a great point if all those games failed or something lol I don't see anything that makes those the worst, I'd say many people see the latest of those as the best depending on who you talk to, but I just don't see any real measurement that is arguing that those that like those IPs, are upset or something. Not everyone gives a shit about that gatekeeping crap bud... Those IP even changing shit is probably why are moving more units then prior, as a clear flop would just....well flop.
do it like hitman!

They'll likely save that for the reboot. The remake is likely going to be the structure of the original.
Idk how necessary this is, Chaos Theory still holds up rather well.

Nothing is necessary, they have more IP moving massive units, this is a choice.

No...Chaos Theory isn't out doing new tech, it wasn't made in the future or something lol So they likely want a remake to take advantage of new advancements. I don't know why their aim would ever be a game from 16 years ago from the PS2 lol Nothing is advanced about that and I never believed they'd go out of order like that, even for a fan favorite.

So lets say this does gangbusters in sales, for all you know they remake Pandora Tomorrow and Chao Theory after. aka RE2 remake and RE3 remake or Yakuza 1 and 2 remake. So I say its best to let this run its course and get that title later on.

Orta

Banned
Ooh yes. I loved the first one, bought my Xbox just for it.

My wish list is to leave the levels as they are, ramp up the graphics and especially lighting but tone down on the over-zealous trial & error nature of the game.

Bigfroth

I wonder what NFT"s will be available? They should make an NFT that's basically the end of the game that you can only buy and unlock after you put 700 hours into it. Even if the game is only a 30-hour experience lol.

DaGwaphics

Great news. Especially the bit about building a base for future SC content. Hopefully that means getting everything set on a modern engine and not using some kind of automated AI approach. Fingers crossed that getting back to the original will move the game back in the direction of the original. While I've still enjoyed all the games, from double agent forward the games started to push you more and more to take a very particular series of actions to advance (though not as much in DA as the games that followed). The original trilogy basically gave you a skill set and it was up to you to figure out what was best as the different scenarios presented themselves to you.

Ooh yes. I loved the first one, bought my Xbox just for it.

My wish list is to leave the levels as they are, ramp up the graphics and especially lighting but tone down on the over-zealous trial & error nature of the game.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch
:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

SnapShot

knowing ubisoft they'll probably find some ways to sneak mtx or whatever other sorts of p2w garbo into it, either way i'll hold judgment until i see the final game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
meh. Splinter cell was ok I guess. Chaos theory especially. I don’t like stealth games but I finished 1 and chaos theory.
But only remake and still hiring? Lol.
chaos theory needs only a simple remaster

Elios83

Ok but is it going to set the bar even higher than what they're doing with the Prince of Persia remake?
It's going to be hard but only Ubisoft can do it!! :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_winking_tongue:

Javthusiast

Banned
No one is gonna buy it for full price if it isnt at least like Hitman in terms of open world. Then they can use that excuse to not make another one for 10 years.

Open levels would be fine yes. TPP should have had Ground Zero like levels as well.

Novacain

I'm optimistic that this will be decent and excited for splinter cell to make a comeback.

That said, what I really wanted was a modern sequel to chaos theory with Ironside

Strider311

I need this AND the rumored open world thing. Give me all the Splinter Cell and/or similar stealth games I can get.

mortal

Gold Member
A remake, huh? Just off the the top of my head:

• Ray traced lighting that lends to the gameplay, with fully destructible light sources within the game.
  • Ray traced reflections were the AI can notice your reflection on certain surfaces, and the player can also make strategic use the reflections against the AI.
  • Make the AI even more clever and resourceful, but also give Sam more mobility than in the first game.
  • 3D audio that lends itself to the noise mechanic. Certain sounds, like voices or footsteps, could reverberate within certain rooms or halls. Making them more noticeable.
  • Taking a page from the recent Hitman games, Make more contextual interactive objects in each level that can be used to the player's advantage.
No need to reinvent the wheel and chase trends here. Just commit to making a pure, hardcore stealth game. Simple and effective.

Last edited:
I'm excited to watch my favorite game series be destroyed by this modern ubishit company. I wonder if it's like a resident evil 2 type remake or a prince of persia lol. Seriously though i really hope Michael Ironside is able to be the voice again. I know they brought him back for Ghost recon.

Edit**** also i'm glad they are keeping it linear based. Sick of open world of sake of open world. Linear games can be amazing too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Wasn't this more or less the game that put Ubi on the map?
No, they were in the business since the '80s and had many hits, specially in Europe. As a couple of example, they had Rayman or were publishing Rainbow Six's sequel and bought Redstorm before Splinter Cell.

Ray traced reflections were the AI can notice your reflection on certain surfaces, and the player can also make strategic use the reflections against the AI.

Not going to happen. Actually neither of those will ever happen in this generation. Ubisoft will not gimp a ton of consumers who do not have a raytracing capable card and there is no way in hell anyone at ubisoft that is capable to program the AI to do such complicated tasks.

mortal

Gold Member
Not going to happen. Actually neither of those will ever happen in this generation. Ubisoft will not gimp a ton of consumers who do not have a raytracing capable card and there is no way in hell anyone at ubisoft that is capable to program the AI to do such complicated tasks.
lol I'm Just spitballing really. Those are just a handful of things they could to do that would enhance the gameplay in service of a hardcore stealth experience, at least imo.
Obviously the likelihood of any of that happening under current Ubisoft is very low.

To be fair, Watch Dogs Legion made use of ray tracing and that was for a cross-gen title, so Ubisoft are not unfamiliar with implementing that into a AAA game.
So I don't agree with that sentiment that no one at Ubisoft is technically capable of this. It comes down to creative decisions if anything.
It may not be probable but It's very much plausible, especially if the Splinter Cell remake were to be current-gen only.

lol I'm Just spitballing really. Those are just a handful of things they could to do that would enhance the gameplay in service of a hardcore stealth experience, at least imo.
Obviously the likelihood of any of that happening under current Ubisoft is very low.

To be fair, Watch Dogs Legion made use of ray tracing and that was for a cross-gen title, so Ubisoft are not unfamiliar with implementing that into a AAA game.
So I don't agree with that sentiment that no one at Ubisoft is technically capable of this. It comes down to creative decisions if anything.
It may not be probable but It's very much plausible, especially if the Splinter Cell remake were to be current-gen only.

I mean it would be amazing. I remember when Chaos Theory launched it required pixel shader 3.0 or somehting like that for realistic shadowing and whatever else. It was ahead of its time. I wouldnt mind it if they did it again and required a capable raytracing card and have those enhanced AI capabilities. But yeah, nfts and mtx are more important to Ubi right now than anything else.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

TLDW:

- Open world Splinter Cell was likely in development. Many of his sources corroborated this story over the last few months, none of which suggested that it was a remake.

- Linear Splinter Cell (Remake) announcement felt like a means to curb bad Ubisoft PR.

- Open world Splinter Cell likely on hold, rather than cancelled, as they fill departed positions at studio.

Still seems like a lot of guesswork by Tom Henderson rather than any concrete inside information.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent earnings call, Ubisoft mentioned the project but provided little insight into its development. The brief mention reiterated that the project is being led by Ubisoft Toronto, a studio with a resume that includes Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Far Cry 5, Far Cry 6, Watch Dogs Legion, and Starlink: Battle for Atlas. That said, Ubisoft won't be acting alone. Like every Ubisoft game, support studios will assist in the game's development.

In addition to this, Ubisoft noted the game will "leverage the power of Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine," which runs the following games: Tom Clancy's The Division, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, South Park: The Fractured but Whole, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and Tom Clancy's The Division 2.

yurinka

Can't wait for shaved head Samantha Fisher.
Samanthta Fox :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TLDW:

- Open world Splinter Cell was likely in development. Many of his sources corroborated this story over the last few months, none of which suggested that it was a remake.

- Linear Splinter Cell (Remake) announcement felt like a means to curb bad Ubisoft PR.

- Open world Splinter Cell likely on hold, rather than cancelled, as they fill departed positions at studio.

Still seems like a lot of guesswork by Tom Henderson rather than any concrete inside information.
I'd bet they publicly mentioned that considered multiple times to bring back Splinter Cell but didn't see how they could adapt it to modern times in a satisfactory way. Normal because pretty likely would overlap too much other active IPs like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs or Ghost Recon.

A remake is smarter because would be a way cheaper project, wouldn't need to worry about open world, multiplayer, GaaS, many new features etc.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
If they could bring back the Spies V. Mercs multiplayer I would be ecstatic.

Still the best example of asymmetrical multiplayer I can think of.

Of course they probably will do just that but instead of an attempt to revitalize a classic, beloved mode it will jus be this games' way of introducing a store, MTX etc.

But I hope not. Still excited for more Splinter Cell.

R6Rider

Gold Member
If they could bring back the Spies V. Mercs multiplayer I would be ecstatic.

Still the best example of asymmetrical multiplayer I can think of.

Of course they probably will do just that but instead of an attempt to revitalize a classic, beloved mode it will jus be this games' way of introducing a store, MTX etc.

But I hope not. Still excited for more Splinter Cell.
Spies vs Mercs (especially on Chaos Theory) was so much fun. One of the first online games I ever played back on the PS2.

Top Bottom