• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Super Robot Wars Primer - English Release Next Week, Oh Me, Oh My

Bebpo

Banned
Here's a fun one. You just got Cerberus Ignite and Garmraid Blaze right? Find out which one blasts a hole straight through the Earth! That's the super.

lol, this is true

But I thought Cerebus Ignite was also a super? It's pretty bulky.

Okay so... main complaint so far isn't the translation its the lack of banter between characters. All the dialog (at least so far) is very plot focused there isn't much (if any) real banter or characters talking about something other then the plot. Characters who generally have quite a few antics such as Excellen are noticeably more serious and muted then in previous games. Perhaps its simply do to the large amount of characters (which is bordering on excessive at this point my god) but so far the only real joking or playful banter (which really helps to understand many characters) has only happened in the tutorial between Kai and Arado and I for one really miss it as that is one of the most entertaining things about this series.

The fuck is he talking about? This is worse than SAO.
i don't want to sound offensive..
but if they payed one lone guy proficient in japanese 2 months of work, so let's say 5000 gross give or take a few hundred, he would have done a much better job..
Are they using some godforsaken automated translation mechanism or what?

Shizuka

but if they payed one lone guy proficient in japanese 2 months of work, so let's say 5000 gross give or take a few hundred, he would have done a much better job..

I'm almost sure they're using someone who doesn't speak english natively, and even then... I mean, I'm not a native speaker, yet I know better than to make silly mistakes like those. Someone must've translated it and no one edited the script.

I'm almost sure they're using someone who doesn't speak english natively, and even then... I mean, I'm not a native speaker, yet I know better than to make silly mistakes like those. Someone must've translated it and no one edited the script.

This is most likely the case. No time for editing, get it to market!

squall23

If the leaked credits of the English version of the picture dramas are true, this game was translated by 3 people. None of whom were Japanese. Also, Bamco only started hiring like last December or something like that.
lol, this is true

But I thought Cerebus Ignite was also a super? It's pretty bulky.
I think Cerberus Ignite has the worst normal design to SD conversion out of any of the units. When the Super looks less chunky than the Real even if it looks more busy, someone did something wrong.

I wonder if there is an overall robot performance list. Kind of like a tier list per say. I find myself saving before missions and then resetting when I see there are tons of water and/or mountains and switching people into other robots that can move better such as having a transform into plane option or good sea movement/etc.

Would be nice if there was a map preview before moving onto the next mission so you can plan accordingly.

Bebpo

Banned
My personal tier list:

Top-tier supers: (doesn't take much damage, has high accuracy, hits hard)
-Daizengar
-SRX
-Neo Granzon (only problem with Neo Granzon is everything is post-move; needs hit & away)

Top-tier real robots: (doesn't get hit, has good accuracy, hits pretty decently on counter)
-Exexbein
-Bellzelute

A-tier supers:
-Soul Saber (would be S tier but takes a lot damage without seishin or equip buffs)
-Granteed (gets really good at the endgame, but until then has awful movement, awful accuracy, and terrible range; honestly think he's the worst main story unit in a long time in SRW; but if you can fix his defects he hits really hard and endgame is unstoppable; his Defense is incredible; can tank everything)
-Raioh (better dodge than Soul Saber, so he dodges a lot of attacks, almost S tier)
-Fort Gigas (pretty solid unit all around, 2 SP banks)
-Gamraid (hits hard, accuracy is honestly not that terrible, has decent armor; definitely nerfed from 2nd OGs where it was one of the lead mechs though)
-Compatible Kaiser (Good all around unit. Used to be S-tier, but just feels nerfed in every aspect. Still good)
-RyuKouOh/KouRyuOh (good, but not great. Wait until 3rd OGs for them to shine again. Their units are getting a little old and a bit underpowered compared to the other S/A-tier supers)

A-tier reals:
No idea, don't really use reals outside of Exexbein and Bellzelute.

I think basically every super is good, some are just better than others, but all the rest are at least B-tier. Otoh, some reals kinda suck because a B-tier real means a real robot that gets hit and dies.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think Garmraid was changed at all but I'd need to look at the stats, lol.

He's not hitting in the hot blooded 30,000s damage on first run even with FUB like Daizengar/Granteed/SRX, more like 18-20k In 2nd OGs I remember him being top-damage dealer with the big boys.

My overall impression is that all the old units either got nerfed so they're all a little weaker than 2nd OGs in order to make the new units seem even better...
....or the old units are all the same but the new units are even BETTER so it makes the old units feel weaker.

Not sure which. But I feel like this happens in every SRW sequel in order to make the new main units stick out they always have to be the best of the bunch.

Bebpo

Banned
I recall him getting 30k for me. I'd need to load it up when I get back though.

Yeah, I'm using the numbers I was getting on the final boss with hot blood and strongest attack. The only people in my entire party (and everyone had maxed weapons and about 50-70 extra PP stat in their best attack) that could break the 30k barrier with no support units, just hot blood single unit best attack were Granteed's strongest final attack, SRX's combo attack, and Daisengar's combo attack. Soul Saber may have been close, but Gamraid was behind Compatible Kaiser IIRC.

Looking at the OP post is there every any reason to spend PP on upgrading pilots stats if you havent maxed out their ability list yet? Just seems like it takes a while to get to 250-300pp.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the OP post is there every any reason to spend PP on upgrading pilots stats if you havent maxed out their ability list yet? Just seems like it takes a while to get to 250-300pp.

Depends really. Some units/characters don't really need PP skills as they already come with what they need. Or maybe need one like morale limit break. After that point best just to pump the stats you need.

Y'all can complain or be happy we are getting SRW in a somewhat legible form!

Yeah, I get patches for games I'm not in the region for all the time. Recently got one for Gundam Breaker 3 on my English account.

Cool hopefully they bother and give the edit another pass for a patch. Though like you said, it's still worth playing and progress finally getting another SRW with some kind of English translation.

I'm glad I bought it to hopefully show there's more people wanting this. Hopefully sales show Bamco that more people bought the Asia release than usual.

Yeah, at the very least I hope Bamco upgrade whoever's responsible for the final edit check to atleast smooth out some of this really obvious stuff and some of these mismatched pronouns that stick out like a sore thumb, which would atleast better hide the other mistakes or awkward word choices.

Yeah, Earth Route is definitely better for the opening. Also around the middle split the route that goes with the Granteed/Bellzelute cast is much more plot relevant. Pretty much always stick to the split with Granteed during the couple of splits to get the main plotline for MD.

Luckily there aren't many splits in the game, mostly a unified route.

Thanks, I'm just getting started on playing my copy.

PlayAsia still uses USPS for NA right?

Mine came through FedEx

Ken

This script is a national treasure.

CpYEkBVWgAAp6qC.jpg

I think I understood the plot better playing the Japanese version and not knowing Japanese.

squall23

My personal tier list:

Top-tier supers: (doesn't take much damage, has high accuracy, hits hard)
-Daizengar
-SRX
-Neo Granzon (only problem with Neo Granzon is everything is post-move; needs hit & away)

Top-tier real robots: (doesn't get hit, has good accuracy, hits pretty decently on counter)
-Exexbein
-Bellzelute

A-tier supers:
-Soul Saber (would be S tier but takes a lot damage without seishin or equip buffs)
-Granteed (gets really good at the endgame, but until then has awful movement, awful accuracy, and terrible range; honestly think he's the worst main story unit in a long time in SRW; but if you can fix his defects he hits really hard and endgame is unstoppable; his Defense is incredible; can tank everything)
-Raioh (better dodge than Soul Saber, so he dodges a lot of attacks, almost S tier)
-Fort Gigas (pretty solid unit all around, 2 SP banks)
-Gamraid (hits hard, accuracy is honestly not that terrible, has decent armor; definitely nerfed from 2nd OGs where it was one of the lead mechs though)
-Compatible Kaiser (Good all around unit. Used to be S-tier, but just feels nerfed in every aspect. Still good)
-RyuKouOh/KouRyuOh (good, but not great. Wait until 3rd OGs for them to shine again. Their units are getting a little old and a bit underpowered compared to the other S/A-tier supers)

A-tier reals:
No idea, don't really use reals outside of Exexbein and Bellzelute.

I think basically every super is good, some are just better than others, but all the rest are at least B-tier. Otoh, some reals kinda suck because a B-tier real means a real robot that gets hit and dies.
You didn't use Raul and Fiona? I loved the Gunstrikers. They were my top Reals after Calvina (but only because I wanted Brachium for Calvina).

Bebpo

Banned
You didn't use Raul and Fiona? I loved the Gunstrikers. They were my top Reals after Calvina (but only because I wanted Brachium for Calvina).

To me once 2nd OGs said "hey Raul, you suck, your mech was ugly, and now you're going to be a supply bot" I stopped caring about Raul/Fiona besides as my main EN/HP unit. I mean they already had the ugliest OG mech ever in OG Gaiden.

Then by the time they give them units in this one, and the units are still ugly as all hell, and the units are two pallette swaps, and the animations aren't even anything that impressive, lol I thought they sucked and didn't want to spend the cash at that point in the game on upgrading their units when I could spend it on units I actually like and was bringing to lvl.10 weapon strength.

I like how even the game was like "hey, uhh your new mechs kinda suck, what about Striker Excellence and the other fancy one? -Oh yeah, we're still working on those [and they'll debut in 3rd OGs]" Maybe in 3rd OGs they'll get a cool mech with cool attacks and I'll use them again. The only thing I liked about these new units were their map attack. Otherwise zzz

I have no idea how I should be leveling my pilots/mechs. Should I be prioritizing putting money into my mechs or leveling pilot stats/buying skills.

Edit: Reread the OP and got a better idea of the upgrade flow. I'm not too far in so I'll start leveling appropriately.

There's a trick that helps out new players if they're really stuck that I used during the GBA games. When you get a game over, you'll be booted back to the intermission screen before that mission and when you attempt the mission from here again you won't get the SR Point, but you'll keep the money and I *think* level ups (it's that or kills iirc) you earned during that last attempt. So one thing you can do is find a mission with an easy fail requirement (reach spot in X turns, if _____ gets shot down), no new team mates joining for the first time (because if you game over I believe newcoming characters lose all their PP doing this), and a decent amount of targets you can farm. I think Chapter 19, Runaway Ghost, is a good one since it'll end if Ariel or Alfimi get shot down and after the mission updates it has the potential for infinitely spawning grunts that you can farm.

I personally never upgrade weapons since it doesn't really add much in my opinion because the Full Upgrade and Ace Pilot bonuses usually cover that, and upgrading weapons doesn't count toward the Full Upgrade Bonus. I also think upgrading the weapons makes the game too boring since stuff dies so quickly.

There's a trick that helps out new players if they're really stuck that I used during the GBA games. When you get a game over, you'll be booted back to the intermission screen before that mission and when you attempt the mission from here again you won't get the SR Point, but you'll keep the money and I *think* level ups (it's that or kills iirc) you earned during that last attempt. So one thing you can do is find a mission with an easy fail requirement (reach spot in X turns, if _____ gets shot down), no new team mates joining for the first time (because if you game over I believe newcoming characters lose all their PP doing this), and a decent amount of targets you can farm. I think Chapter 19, Runaway Ghost, is a good one since it'll end if Ariel or Alfimi get shot down and after the mission updates it has the potential for infinitely spawning grunts that you can farm.

I personally never upgrade weapons since it doesn't really add much in my opinion because the Full Upgrade and Ace Pilot bonuses usually cover that, and upgrading weapons doesn't count toward the Full Upgrade Bonus. I also think upgrading the weapons makes the game too boring since stuff dies so quickly.
I remember doing that in Alpha 3. It's been a while since I've played an SRW game proper, so I'll give that a shot.

The grunts don't infinite spawn for mission 19, they'll eventually stop.

Chapter 15, 26, 34, 37, 43, 46 are the grind spots imo.
I would include Moon Route Chapter 33, but that stage is a fucking nightmare on exhard (until you figure it out...)

Is it worth using twin formations (2 units in one group?) or do you keep everyone separate for a higher action economy?

You always twin, even if you intend to use the units solo. Twinning lets you deploy more units total.

Aside from that, enemy twins become a lot more annoying to deal with if you don't use twins yourself. AFAIK your single unit will always do reduced damage to the enemy sub units, meaning it takes longer to kill. Having to effectively control twice the amount of units also means turns take longer. Being unable to counter attack two targets at once outside of ALL attacks also means stuff dies a lot slower. The maximum break mechanic is only available to twins, but you could twin up only when needed. Twins let a stronger unit partly carry a weaker unit allowing you to focus your upgrades a bit more. Quicken/Accel affecting a whole twin is also a pretty big plus for twins.

I wonder if we could get someone who uses solo units to chime in on the benefits of that approach.

You always twin, even if you intend to use the units solo. Twinning lets you deploy more units total.

Damn, what?
So when the game ask me to deploy 6 units at the beginning of the mission, i can actually deploy 12 in total (6 twins), when i make them twin units?

I finished 11 missions today and never thought of that.

While we're on the subject of common knowledge that the games don't exactly tell you outright...

After you do a mid-mission save, you can reset by pressing L1+R1+Start(Options), but if you hold Start (Options) during the reload, it'll automatically reload your mid-mission save. Great for those times when you really don't want to miss that 70% hit rate attack.

Fencedude

While we're on the subject of common knowledge that the games don't exactly tell you outright...

After you do a mid-mission save, you can reset by pressing L1+R1+Start(Options), but if you hold Start (Options) during the reload, it'll automatically reload your mid-mission save. Great for those times when you really don't want to miss that 70% hit rate attack.

They actually literally do tell you this if you do the tutorial missions in Moon Dwellers

Fencedude

I have no idea how I should be leveling my pilots/mechs. Should I be prioritizing putting money into my mechs or leveling pilot stats/buying skills.

Edit: Reread the OP and got a better idea of the upgrade flow. I'm not too far in so I'll start leveling appropriately.

Actually in most of the games it doesn't really matter. You can upgrade whatever you want, or not upgrade, and things are still beatable (some of the older ones, and A Portable are exceptions...). EXHard mode is literally "you can't upgrade mechs or pilots, but all enemy units get three bars of upgrades" and is still quite clearable. If a pain in the ass sometimes

If you really like a unit or pilot, go ahead and pour the love on them. No one is so terrible that you just can't use them at all.

Actually in most of the games it doesn't really matter. You can upgrade whatever you want, or not upgrade, and things are still beatable (some of the older ones, and A Portable are exceptions...). EXHard mode is literally "you can't upgrade mechs or pilots, but all enemy units get three bars of upgrades" and is still quite clearable. If a pain in the ass sometimes

If you really like a unit or pilot, go ahead and pour the love on them. No one is so terrible that you just can't use them at all.

That's good to know. I definitely have a few favorite units so I'll focus on those.

SMK

Ordered the game late because of Shiren and just started the game. It's fun!

I'm sooo glad to play it in english, but man this is borderline machine translated stuff.
Still, it's really nice to just being able to read the mission requirements and stuff like that.

Teknoman

Works for me.

That being said, finally had it delivered...and man...its beautiful in action!

So...prologue right now. Gyokuza Ki is just the mech style Granteed is right? Like Cybuster being a Lord of Elemental?

Loona

The game arrived yesterday but I didn't get to spend much time with it - mostly just enough to go through the tutorial, and in the process spend ages reading about backstory through the text links - it would be nice to see mentions of which events and antagonists corresponded to which games (I roughly know than Bian Zoldarks's Divine Crusaders - oddly, there's no mention of his daughter Lune, even if the chains of link eventually lead from The Inspector Incident to RA-GEAS - and the following Inspectors stuff matches earlier games and events, but after that it feels like a blur or alien names and factions), since the tutorial has little trouble breaking the 4th wall to tell you about controls.

Maybe I got lost in the reading, but after all that i had no idea where supposed audience surrogate Arado was supposed to fit into all the mentioned organizations and military factions - I figure his role should be somewhere along the lines of pre-battle-experience Ryusei?...

The tutorial itself was OK, but oddly covered nothing about reaction/defensive options, but they emphasized the pad button for further instructions anyway - and I guess that'll be useful for the intermission screen, which were mentioned but not actually covered.

Also, the game's box game with a code for a PS4 theme, but I couldn-t get that to work - probably requires an Asian account to function?...

Shouta

Works for me.

That being said, finally had it delivered...and man...its beautiful in action!

So...prologue right now. Gyokuza Ki is just the mech style Granteed is right? Like Cybuster being a Lord of Elemental?

If i remember the kanji, best translation is "crown" or royal unit. It describes the importance of the unit to them

Teknoman

If i remember the kanji, best translation is "crown" or royal unit. It describes the importance of the unit to them

Ah gotcha.

Wow, they used the last map music from SRT: OG1 for the story intro. That brought back some memories...

Sigh...too bad Bandai Namco is blocking direct PS4 streaming (they are right?).

EDIT: Touya has a Cybuster model in his room, my man.

squall23

The game arrived yesterday but I didn't get to spend much time with it - mostly just enough to go through the tutorial, and in the process spend ages reading about backstory through the text links - it would be nice to see mentions of which events and antagonists corresponded to which games (I roughly know than Bian Zoldarks's Divine Crusaders - oddly, there's no mention of his daughter Lune, even if the chains of link eventually lead from The Inspector Incident to RA-GEAS - and the following Inspectors stuff matches earlier games and events, but after that it feels like a blur or alien names and factions), since the tutorial has little trouble breaking the 4th wall to tell you about controls.

Maybe I got lost in the reading, but after all that i had no idea where supposed audience surrogate Arado was supposed to fit into all the mentioned organizations and military factions - I figure his role should be somewhere along the lines of pre-battle-experience Ryusei?...
Well I mean, there have been 2 full untranslated games since OG2. This game in particular talks very little about OGG and the Shura.

And Arado's only purpose in the story now is being Irui's brother figure
(and later being friends with Cobray Gordon)
. That's it. And even so, Kusuha and Ibis have a bigger relationship with her than Arado does.

Half the cast of the entire crew in most OG game are largely filler anyway.

Their importance to the relationship or story comes on and off depending on the cast who are enjoying the primary focus.

Top Bottom