• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Super Robot Wars Primer - English Release Next Week, Oh Me, Oh My

Fencedude

Odd that the game makes you use Alfimi instead of Axel when they first appear, I though they tended to share a unit or something, but so far so fine.

Alfimi can summon Persoenlicheit from anywhere.

Axel...can't summon Soulgain.

Ahahahaha who would have thought crabsticks would be in an SRW game.

Anyway I skimmed through the primer, but did you include the Ace bonus and full upgrade bonus? Or are they gone?

They are still in, of course. You can find them all on the Akurasu wiki I linked earlier

Is it just me, or is KoRyuuOh just straight up better than RyuKoOh? He's got much more energy efficient attacks which are almost all post movement, and only has a very slight power disadvantage. RyuKoOh however has a fucking weird move set with a whole bunch of long range attacks without post movement, and with its only post movement attaches needing a lot of will and a fuckload of energy

Stage
, perhaps? They gave you
Neo Granzon
for a reason. I use fully upgraded of that mech and Ex Exbein to wipe the whole map. All the bosses in that stage don't run away so you can take time chipping off their HP.

It's definitely one of the hardest stages, but not too bad if you take it slow all the way through.

I know that and I already beat the stage when I posted that. Any time a big boss doesn't have HP regen, I always plant a tank / 100% dodge unit right next to them to chip away at them, but that stage is so goddamn annoying and uninteresting.

Up to your eyeballs in those mass produced Gyanonias and their Breast Blasters.
Regiane and her mech right in your face at the start.
I was expecting reinforcements but not a goddamn
Baran Schneil with its pinpoint cannon and nothing but Leige units AND appearing from behind.
And then good ol' Helluga who:
-Cast Rouse every turn
-Can act twice
-Has six map attacks
-No limit on his strongest attack
-Prevail LV8 so last quarter of the fight is a total slog.
-That event where everyone loses 10% of health each turn.
-Crappy voice actor replacement (RIP Takeshi Aono) with boring lines.
-Garbage boss theme.

I know fighting Gu Landon's gonna suck but at least it's Tessho Genda screaming ZETSUBOU!! at me while Doomsday plays.
When the crap do I get the Infinity Calibur?? I'm running out of game here.

plus some attacks that let you move afterwards

Calvina has the Hit and Away skill by default which lets her move after attacking if you did not move already, so it isn't limited to specific weapons.

Is it just me, or is KoRyuuOh just straight up better than RyuKoOh? He's got much more energy efficient attacks which are almost all post movement, and only has a very slight power disadvantage. RyuKoOh however has a fucking weird move set with a whole bunch of long range attacks without post movement, and with its only post movement attaches needing a lot of will and a fuckload of energy

RyuKoOh is still the better boss killer.
So what you do is to let KoRyuuOh out first to build up will then switch to KoRyuuOh.

I know that and I already beat the stage when I posted that. Any time a big boss doesn't have HP regen, I always plant a tank / 100% dodge unit right next to them to chip away at them, but that stage is so goddamn annoying and uninteresting.

Up to your eyeballs in those mass produced Gyanonias and their Breast Blasters.
Regiane and her mech right in your face at the start.
I was expecting reinforcements but not a goddamn
Baran Schneil with its pinpoint cannon and nothing but Leige units AND appearing from behind.
And then good ol' Helluga who:
-Cast Rouse every turn
-Can act twice
-Has six map attacks
-No limit on his strongest attack
-Prevail LV8 so last quarter of the fight is a total slog.
-That event where everyone loses 10% of health each turn.
-Crappy voice actor replacement (RIP Takeshi Aono) with boring lines.
-Garbage boss theme.

I know fighting Gu Landon's gonna suck but at least it's Tessho Genda screaming ZETSUBOU!! at me while Doomsday plays.
When the crap do I get the Infinity Calibur?? I'm running out of game here.

man...wait till you play 42 on EXhard...while trying to get the SR.

Infinity Calibur is 45

Loona

Wondering about something, since the SRW I played before lacked a twin or squad system - in other games, specific team attacks required mechs to be adjacent to each other to be activated. In MD, is it sufficient to have units with a team attack set as a twin unit?

For example, if when I get both Sanger and Ratsel I twin their units, is the only requirement to use Tatsumaki Zankatou to have the proper EN/Will requirements, or do I need to separate them?

Also, do passive traits for the "sub" mech in a twin unit activate as if that unit were the main? I'm thinking of stuff like Assist Defense, for example.

Wondering about something, since the SRW I played before lacked a twin or squad system - in other games, specific team attacks required mechs to be adjacent to each other to be activated. In MD, is it sufficient to have units with a team attack set as a twin unit?

For example, if when I get both Sanger and Ratsel I twin their units, is the only requirement to use Tatsumaki Zankatou to have the proper EN/Will requirements, or do I need to separate them?

Also, do passive traits for the "sub" mech in a twin unit activate as if that unit were the main? I'm thinking of stuff like Assist Defense, for example.

Twin attacks can be used by units that are either in adjacent twins/solo or in the same twin.

Combination attacks just need the partner character to be Twin'd or be within the 8 spaces around the attacking character. For anything that requires three characters, which is just R Formation and creating the SRX, you can have them in a "chain". For example Ryusei has Rai in the one of the 8 spaces around him, and then Aya is in one of the 8 spaces around Rai. You would not need Aya to be in the 8 spaces around Ryusei in order for him to do R Formation or make SRX.

This still applies even if they are the sub of a twin unit just so long as they are in those 8 spaces.

Loona

Combination attacks just need the partner character to be Twin'd or be within the 8 spaces around the attacking character. For anything that requires three characters, which is just R Formation and creating the SRX, you can have them in a "chain". For example Ryusei has Rai in the one of the 8 spaces around him, and then Aya is in one of the 8 spaces around Rai. You would not need Aya to be in the 8 spaces around Ryusei in order for him to do R Formation or make SRX.

This still applies even if they are the sub of a twin unit just so long as they are in those 8 spaces.

Thanks. For those 3+ mech operations, d they also work if at least 2 of the mechs are already twinned? It sounds like it would make sense to enable that.

I've clearly been neglecting the twinning options I have, and may have some characters a bit underlevelled, but maybe it's not too late to help them catch up by twinning them with some of my regulars...

Thanks. For those 3+ mech operations, d they also work if at least 2 of the mechs are already twinned? It sounds like it would make sense to enable that.

I've clearly been neglecting the twinning options I have, and may have some characters a bit underlevelled, but maybe it's not too late to help them catch up by twinning them with some of my regulars...

Having an underlevelled unit tag along with one of your aces as a sub works pretty well for levelling them.

Yes, they'll be fine if they're twined.

The main thing to be aware of when using Twins is that a Main attacking a Sub will only deal 60% damage and vice versa while Main vs Main / Sub vs Sub fights deal 100%. That's why ALL attacks don't deal as much damage to the sub enemy. Also Subs don't earn as much EXP or PP as Mains.

Otherwise, it's just easier to think of it as two characters on the same square. In fact if you put the cursor on an empty square of the map and press triangle you can cycle how to display the units and one of them is to have both standing next to each other to better visualize this.

Fencedude

With twins, generally the sub unit gets more kill credits than the main unit.

Also, you want to try and match up weapon ranges whenever possible.

For example, Bellzelute Brigandy and Leonisis Virga are a very strong comb because they both have a cheap, strong post movement ALL with the same range. So you can destroy an entire enemy twin in a single battle sequence with them easily.

Match up weapon ranges,
Match up terrain abilities (don't land lock an Air unit by pairing them with a Land-only unit.)
Match up movements (don't gimp an 8-square unit by pairing it with a 5-square.)
Match up Ability perks ( don't share the same abilities perks between twin units, since they don't stack.)

Don't level a unit by making them a sub to support units, since the sub doesn't get any EXP for repair/resupply.
Don't twin up support units in actual battles, since you're wasting an extra repair/resupply.

Loona

There's something charming about the first thing that happens when you come across Michuru is him and Katina greeting each other like the badass manly bros they are even if Katina's a woman and Michuru has a girl's name.

Fencedude

There's something charming about the first thing that happens when you come across Michuru is him and Katina greeting each other like the badass manly bros they are even if Katina's a woman and Michuru has a girl's name.

If you ever watch the Divine Wars anime (not that I'm saying you should, but if you do) there is a hilarious background scene where Katina is running up the ramp onto the Hagane while chugging energy drinks and tossing the empty cans to Russel who's desperately following behind her

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what does P denotes? I know what it means to an attack (it means you can use the attack even after moving), but what does that P stand for?

I know B denotes Beam which means the attack is beam-based, so underwater mecha receive less damage (I think 50% less?). And S for Status for attacks that inflict debuffs.

flowsnake

So what does P denotes? I know what it means to an attack (it means you can use the attack even after moving), but what does that P stand for?

I know B denotes Beam which means the attack is beam-based, so underwater mecha receive less damage (I think 50% less?). And S for Status for attacks that inflict debuffs.

Post-move.

My english copy finally arrived last week but I'm lost at what to do with it. Someone want to trade it for, I don't know, a clean copy of Super Mario Maker or something?

Finally beat it. The Gu Landon fight was some of the most fun I've had with a SRW in a while. The people behind these animations need a medal or something because these attacks are just gorgeous. They all made the Zui Gadin a huge hulking monster. And I really appreciate how much easier it is to see their attacks. Normally I have to go to youtube to see other boss attacks but here they all played out naturally.

Last boss wasn't very fun with all those Map attacks and locking my spirit commands but I could've cheesed it way more if I didn't go on auto-pilot and turn my brain off. Amazing theme, but I really didn't like how it kept doing that 1/4 damage spirit at plot points. Why should I even bother attacking? I'd rather it just regained health like Perfectio or something instead of wasting my time like that. I was really confused though why it refused to do its final attack and just kept doing the ALL attack though... I had to throw Lamia at it by herself just to see the attack. Jua-Mu did something similar during the final fight with him as he'd kept trying to dodge instead of attacking when I still had 100% hit so I didn't get to hear hardly any of him post-
rage

Hope the wait for 3rd OGs isn't too long and I would love it if the big bad of all Original Generations that has to go over even Kaiser Ephes turns out to be
a super Dark Brain
. Hope SRW W tags along as well. Love the music from that and I like the concept behind the Database.

Bebpo

Banned
So since people are playing, just played this, what other helpful info should I add to the OP so we can link to it when V comes out for first time players.

From reading the thread I've gotten:
Ace bonuses, FUBs, twin deployment purpose

Anything else?

Loona

So since people are playing, just played this, what other helpful info should I add to the OP so we can link to it when V comes out for first time players.

From reading the thread I've gotten:
Ace bonuses, FUBs, twin deployment purpose

Anything else?

Mention the Akurasu wiki, since most point point there for SRW info anyway.

If an OP update wasn't meant to prepare for a crossover SRW like V, I'd recommend referencing material like the anime, which may help to catch up on who all those characters are.

Since V is a crossover game, might as well mention that the original characters will likely dominate the story in the beginning and the end no matter how much one likes the referenced anime, since nowadays OG characters are always built up for future appearances in OG games - so if the game has a "favorite series" system, like for example W had, it's generally wise to include the originals in that selection.

If anyone is interested, there was a patch for Moon Dwellers in English a few days ago that added back the Archives section. You have to select Start on the main menu to access it, and it features a recap of each of the 5 previous chapters in the OG Saga.

Loona

If anyone is interested, there was a patch for Moon Dwellers in English a few days ago that added back the Archives section. You have to select Start on the main menu to access it, and it features a recap of each of the 5 previous chapters in the OG Saga.

I wish most of it was translated, you get a lot of uncaptioned dialog scenes in Japanese between brief overviews in English.

Loona

Scenario 20's SR point in MD is kicking my ass - tried fielding a party filled with characters with Assist Attack, and not enough damage, tried fielding all the character with Maximum Break triggering ability, and after finally reaching 140 will with a couple of pair units the damage wasn't enough either...

Since most of my character with the MB skill were underlevelled and might get their asses kicked if they were leading their units, I kept them on sub, switching them to main after the 140 will requisite was met - I wonder if that affected will gains for the team, not sure if the main character naturally gets more will, or if it has more to do with how different characters gain it...

Entirely unrelated, but in the crossover SRWs it's not uncommon to have a "bard" unit, like Basara from Macross 7 or Mick Saunders from GaoGaiGar, and I wonder if the sound-related Raideen and RahXephon qualify gameplay-wise... is there some OG version of these musical archetypes, since OG characters have counterparts to just about everything else covered? I can't think of any...

Edit: someone had some fun with the concept of Touya's female entourage

Will gains are pretty consistent all throughout regardless of position in a twin but the main thing to track is if a pilot shoots down an enemy, they gain 5 will while all allies will gain 1 Will for every enemy shot down. Other Will gains vary from pilot to pilot as some will lose will when they miss or gain when they take damage, but that gets too complicated for me to track so I just focus on the killing enemy gains.

Maximum Breaks should use as many Combination attacks as possible and the Militate spirit command (usually a Twin skill) until you start unlocking Valor. Easy mode is Rampage Ghost, HTB Cannon, Tatsumaki Zankantou, along with some filler last move (I usually use Axel since he has the Attacker skill, but swapped him out for Haken once I started abusing his skills). Kyosuke is the go to guy for Maximum Breaks so he can do Rampage Ghost and you can pair him with Ryusei so he can do the HTB Cannon and use the Militate twin command. For the other twin, lead with Sanger for Tatsumaki to deal more damage and pair him with another pilot that can use Militate like Kohta or Hugo (but I was upgrading them since I like them. Replace them with another unit you like or Arado / Seolla for Twin Bird Strike).

Have Excellen use Dishearten as much as possible as an enemy with lower Will takes more damage and have an ally unit placed on all four sides of a target as this also lowers the enemy's stats.

23K damage is pocket change.

Just ordered the English version, should have it in a few days.

Pretty excited- never played a Robot Wars game before but I've always wanted to. This is the first time I've imported a game since the Dream cast days

killatopak

Gold Member
Is this thread only for the new og game or all the other srws?

I haven't gotten to moon dwellers yet but I'm playing Z3.2. The fuck is this shit. 3 level 50 bosses on stage 15. ON STAGE 15. What am I supposed to do? I got it on quick save atm.

Top Bottom