• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A thread for PC people and normal people --- [compare your PC against ps5 and XSEX "powerhouses"]

MCplayer

couldnt edit my original post*

I've the Lenovo Legion y740
1080P 144Hz 500 nits 10bit [8 bit +FRC] [98% sRGB, 86% aRGB, 74% DCI-P3 (which is a shame I am a videographer, would love 100% DCI-P3)] Dobly Vision | Atmos ( Lenovo and Atmos are partners ) love the screen and sound experience (High volume distorts a bit the sound but love the subwoofer)
Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Hexa-Core, 2.60 GHz with Turbo to 4.50 GHz (sustains fixed when gaming at 3,90GHz)
NVidia RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB
Upgraded it to 32GB 2666MHz CL19 (it was 16GB)
and 1.512GB (512GB NVME and I added a Samsung 870 EVO SSD of 1TB)

Temps not quite how I like it... at saving power 70 - 80Cº, balanced and Performance 80 - 96Cº ( I did undervolted the cpu but the stress test results are completly diferent from the actual gaming or video editing session)

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Mine is old as fuck lets put this way, I built it back in 2014 so I wouldn't call it a powerhouse by next gen consoles.

i7 4770k oc to 4.25Ghz on Air. I did have a water setup but the pump failed and chucked water around the case and I couldn't be bothered with replacing it... could hit 4.5 when on water though.
EVGA 1070GTX
16GB of DDR3
Asrock Z87 OCZ mobo
120GB + 240GB SSD
1 TB + 4TB HDD

Got some kick ass fans on it though that help keep it quiet though.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Mine is old as fuck lets put this way, I built it back in 2014 so I wouldn't call it a powerhouse by next gen consoles.

i7 4770k oc to 4.25Ghz on Air. I did have a water setup but the pump failed and chucked water around the case and I couldn't be bothered with replacing it... could hit 4.5 when on water though.
EVGA 1070GTX
16GB of DDR3
Asrock Z87 OCZ mobo
120GB + 240GB SSD
1 TB + 4TB HDD

Got some kick ass fans on it though that help keep it quiet though.

She has served you well

Jigga117

• NZXT H700 (BLACK - RED) CASE
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) (BLACK) MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-9900K 8-CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X72 CPU COOLER
  • ASUS ROG RTX™ 2080 TI STRIX O11G GPU
  • 32GB TEAM T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHZ (2) RAM
  • 2 SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1.0 TB SSD
  • SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB 4.0 TB HDD
  • NZXT E850 GOLD DIGITAL PSU PSU
  • NZXT AER RGB 2 120MM FAN (RGB) 2 FAN
  • CABLEMOD 6+2 PIN BASIC CABLE EXTENSION KIT (RED)

GamingKaiju

She has served you well

Oh she has, the LED's are dead on the case and the sides spend more time off than on but she has done well. I will probably be able to run next gen games @ 1080p with some settings toned down to hold me over til I can afford to either replace my PC or purchase a new console.

It's also the most stable PC I have ever had too.

Last edited:

mango drank

- Intel i5 8600K, 6 cores at 3.6 GHz (up to 4.3 GHz) each
- 2x GTX 1070 (apparently 6.5 tflops each, but obviously only one is usable at a time when gaming)
- 32 GB RAM, dunno how fast
- A bunch of Samsung SSDs, totaling 2 TB (mix of SSDs and NVMe)

nani17

are in a big trouble
Oh she has, the LED's are dead on the case and the sides spend more time off than on but she has done well. I will probably be able to run next gen games @ 1080p with some settings toned down to hold me over til I can afford to either replace my PC or purchase a new console.

It's also the most stable PC I have ever had too.

You treat that lady like she deserves to be treated. Keep her clean :messenger_beaming:

T-Cake

Alienware with a 1070 GPU. I'm not even sure that can be upgraded because Dell, in their infinite wisdom, have restricted the PCI Express lanes to x8 instead of x16. I believe any card better than a 1080Ti will saturate those x8 lanes and performance will be reduced. I ain't buying a whole new PC so I'll go with both consoles.

slade

Main PC
Ryzen 2700x @ 4.1 ghz
Rtx 2080 @ 1700 mhz
2 regular hard drives @ 4tb's

Gonna have to get a SSD at some point. I'm going to hold out for the 7gb ones later this year.

T-Cake

Main PC
Ryzen 2700x @ 4.1 ghz
Rtx 2080 @ 1700 mhz
2 regular hard drives @ 4tb's

Gonna have to get a SSD at some point. I'm going to hold out for the 7gb ones later this year.

Dude, you're nuts. SSD should have been the priority over that 2080. It makes so much difference!

GymWolf

2070super (but i'm gonna buy a 3070/3080 at the end of the year)
i5 8600k
16gb ram ddr4 3200
ssd crucial mx300 525gb

i think that i'm barely superior to a ps5 but under a sex, story will change with the new gpu, but maybe i will have to change my cpu if devs start creating game around an 8 core cpu.

I will have to upgrade the motherboard, cpu, RAM and get a bigger faster SSD. Unfortunately PC hardware is stupidly expensive but at least I can buy through the company to avoid taxes and shit.

3700x = 350€
ITX Motherboard = probably 150€
RAM = 90€
2 TB SSD = 300€
Fuck this shit.

Last edited:
Nothing special, been sitting on this for 3 years now -- waiting on the 3080ti before upgrading everything.

i7-4790k @ 4.6
1080ti OC'd out the butt
16 GB DDR3
3x 500 GB SSD's
1x 1 TB external drive
4k HDR monitor

Last edited:

Ellery

I somewhat recently bought a 3700X, RTX 2080, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVME.

So those specs are extremely close to the next gen consoles, but I don't know yet how good RDNA2 is actually (other than AMD numbers).

It could be possibly that if the 50% perf/watt is actually completely true, that the Xbox Series X performs similarly to an RTX 2080 Ti at stock clockspeeds and the PS5 comes reasonbly close to that aswell.

The PS4 and especially the Xbox One were super outdated when they came out. I think PS4 was 1.8TF and Xbox One was 1.3TF and the best GPU the 290X and 780 Ti were 5-6 TF and smoking the consoles. Literally 4x the raw numbers of the Xbox One.
Now we have the PS5 and Xbox Series X that come with a new architecture that we don't have in the PC space yet and they are much better than where the predecessors were in 2013 when they released. I am really impressed by the new consoles being "cutting edge".

With cutting edge I don't mean better than anything else, because by the time the consoles come out (late 2020) we will have much more potent AMD and Nvidia hardware, but atleast they are new tech and don't feel like leftovers like Jaguar etc. did.

I am just so damn excited. I am using my PC for 1440p 144hz and it looks like the consoles I will be using for 4K HDR 60hz/fps and with being the sole focus point for development the graphical leap will be insane.

The consoles (both of them) being that good could possibly see me being in need of upgrading my GPU rather sooner than later depending on what good comes out the next year or two.

Exciting times ! NVME in consoles !

Last edited:

T-Cake

Dude thats midrange, and very similar to my PC. Next gen will smoke us on resolution, but we should still be able to play next gen games at 1080p, and 1440p in some cases. Not 4k though.

Another 1070 user here but not being able to play in 4K (nor have RT) would kill me. I hate now that I can't play things at 4K.

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
I kept my old Corsair PC Case and just put this system together at the beginning of the year. If it's available and not too expensive by year's end I might have the funds to upgrade to Nvidia's Ampere 3000 series and sell my 2070 if it's possible. Everything else is looking pretty good to me after I put this system together with Xmas deals back in December and January this year.

Case: Corsair 540 Carbide (I have 3 120mm Fans Corsair SP120 for the front / 2x 140mm Corsair ML RGB Pro's on Top / 1x 140mm Corsair ML RGB Pro on the Back) + Corsair Commander Pro for the Fan Controller
PSU: Antec 850 Watt 80 Plus Platinum Fully Modular
Mobo: Gigabyte AORUS Master Z390
CPU: Intel i9 9900K @ 5.0 Ghz 8 Cores/ 16 Threads
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-15 Chromax
GPU: Gigabyte Gaming 8G OC Nvidia RTX 2070 8Gb GDDR6 (Overclocked to 2Ghz)
RAM: GSkill Trident Z Neo 32Gb DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x16)
Storage: 1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb NVME SSD (Game Drive) / 1x Samsung 960 EVO 500Gb NVME SSD (OS Windows Drive) / 1x Toshiba 5Tb HDD 7200RPM Drive (Archive Storage Misc Drive)

YodaBB

Ryzen 3600 (will upgrade to 4xxx when this starts struggling, not close yet)
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Noctua NHD15
MSI 1080ti (~11TF still a beast, might get a 3080ti if they're good)
Acer X34A gsync
32GB DDR4 3600CL16 (about 50GB/s read so a lot slower than PS5/XSX)
2x1TB nvme3 raid0 about 6GB/s (FU Cerny)
1+2TB sata ssd about 0.5GB/s

I think I'm good for a while honestly. I might get a PS5 - highly dependent on exclusive games, more likely will wait for PS5 Pro. Can't really see the point in buying XSX if all the games are coming to PC.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My PC is 5 years old and still a beast. Based Intel and Nvidia.

(Probably switching to AMD next upgrade if the next gen Threadrippers are as kickass the the current ones).

Irobot82

AMD Ryzen 3700X. Peaks around 4.2 Ghz
GTX 1080 that clocks over 2.0 Ghz. Which equates to around 10.2 TFlops
16 GB of 3600 CL16 RAM
1TB NVME (3.0 for now), 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, and a 512GB SSD
A lovely Lian Li Lancool II blinged out with gaudy RGB's.
2 MSI MAG270CQ's (VA but they nice to me) 144hz Variable Refresh.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My 1080 is in the ballpark of the PS5 in TF so I'm set until I go for some mid-generation new GPU that destroys both consoles/refreshes with a modest cost, especially as I care more for framerate than 4K and lens effects and I can tailor my settings rather than have presets define my experience.

Timing your PC upgrades mid-generation (roughly once a gen for GPU, once every two gens for CPU) means you don't have to pay a lot and still play every game better, maybe struggle for just a bit just before your given upgrade but you can just postpone playing those few AAA games until then.

And you also get almost 100% backwards compatibility dating back decades rather than a generation, not to mention playing most games (all those that support higher settings/resolution/fps than feasible at launch) at near UHD remaster levels of improvements without rebuying them etc.

Plus mods, even for games that don't support them, but even more so for those that do, emulation, free online, cheap games, cool peripherals, VR, it's a no brainer, maybe paired with a Nintendo system as the only one having enough worthy exclusives to warrant it, specs be damned.

Of course if you have the money to burn or have a decent way to sell/trade in your hardware and put it towards new stuff more often than I do that's also a legit way to not even compromise briefly and just have the best shit all the time every time but for most that's a luxury.

Last edited:
12 core 3900X
1080ti
16Gigs of RAM ( seems like I may not be needing to upgrade to 32 )
and a relatively cheap SSD - Intel 660p

I didn't want to spend top dollar on an SSD just yet. Wanted to see if consoles were foreshadowing advancements in SSDs, and they just did. Will upgrade my SSD when they are as good or better than what the consoles will have.

Aside from the SSD and the raytracing, I've been next gen ready for quite some time.

Longcat

4770k@4.4, 16GB ram and 970. Seriously, what a beast of a GPU, best I ever had. It's really starting to show its age with some modern titles though, so I think I'll pick up a 3070 and a 1440p 144+Hz monitor later. I'll wait for DDR5 to replace the rest of the system and pray to Gaben that the CPU can at least somewhat keep up until then.

Brofist

I'm probably ok for a while. I'll wait until the consoles come out, and see where gpus go. Only running at 1440p now, not 4k.

3900x @ stock atm
2070 Super
16GB 3600
1TB NVMe

Last edited:
U should have seen the glorious radeon vs nvidia days.

full-contact-medieval-sword-fighting-looks-completely-terrifying.gif

I did. Still can't remember list wars / e-peen comparisons from back then (not even on IRC). I think that started around 2000, when the new kids came and eSports go kind of huge. When I bought the first GeForce to get more FPS in Quake 2 and Arena, at least on my general network of PC/tech ppl, this wasn't regarded as an event of consumerist indulgence to brag about, but rather a pretty normal and boring upgrade necessity to keep up with the rapid development of hardware back then. In the 90s, your PC was obsolete the moment you build it. Anyways, I've derailed this thread enough, please go on :messenger_sunglasses:

OT:
Currently sitting on
R5 3600
X570 AsRock
32GB 3200MHz RAM
RTX 2060 SUPER
512GB nVMe SSD

I'll be fine. Need to wait for Linux support for newer components, anyway.

Last edited:
Surface Go
Display10-inch 3: 2 aspect 1800 x 1200 with touch 216 ppi
ProcessorIntel Pentium Gold 4415Y (1.6GHz) Fanless
GraphicsIntel HD 615
RAM

4GB or 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3

Good for 20 mins of Sims 4 (gets too hot then)
Plague inc and Town of Salem also run like hot butter
Has more game storage than ps5 so thats a win 1-0

Graciaus

My PC is shit but it is 7 years old.

i5-4670K CPU
Radeon HD 7970
8 GB RAM

But because of Coronavirus I'll be working 32 hours of overtime probably for awhile so I will built something amazing when the new stuff comes out.

Ivory Blood

CPU: i7 9700k - guess I'm alright on that one.
GPU: RTX 2080 Super - good.
RAM: 16 gb DDR4 3200 - eh, I'll add more down the line if I really need it.
Drive Space: 2TB HDD, 1TB Sata SSD, 256GB NVME for the system.

AndrewRyan

Built this 3 weeks ago:
AMD 3800x (8c/16t)
x570 TUF Gaming MB
1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD (5GB/s)
4TB 7200RPM HDD
2080 Super (22.3 TFLOPS FP16), (11.2 TFLOPS FP32)
32GB 3200 RAM
65" OLED w/GSYNC

This is a gaming dream come true. Will upgrade to a 3080ti later this year to get that sweet HDMI 2.1 and rise to gaming heaven.

1TB nvme ssd
16GB ddr
8700k i7 6 core

Will look to see if 6 core is enough for next gen. As for gpu I'll probably wait for the 4060 or 4070. I don't want to run next gen barely better than consoles, I'd like significant advantage if possible full path tracing(assuming ray tracing performance improves significantly) on next gen games. Also don't feel like paying 1000+$ for high end when you can get similar performance for under 500+$ a few years later in midrange.

VFXVeteran

Banned
1TB nvme ssd
16GB ddr
8700k i7 6 core

Will look to see if 6 core is enough for next gen. As for gpu I'll probably wait for the 4060 or 4070. I don't want to run next gen barely better than consoles, I'd like significant advantage if possible full path tracing(assuming ray tracing performance improves significantly) on next gen games. Also don't feel like paying 1000+$ for high end when you can get similar performance for under 500+$ a few years later in midrange.

That will always be the case. 4xxx I doubt will have enough to do full path tracing @4k/60. It depends on where developers are in the next 2yrs. I also think you'll always face that "waiting for next cycle so I can get previous cycle for only 50% of the costs". Ironically, the 2080Ti is still worth over $1k. I don't see that changing much with 3xxx coming out this year - which is weird.

Celcius

°Temp. member
7700k @ 4.8ghz with noctua Nh-d14
32gb ddr4 @ 3200mhz CL14
Maximus IX Hero
Evga gtx 1080 Ti sc2
1tb nvme Samsung 960 pro ssd
750watt seasonic x750 psu
Caselabs merlin sm8
Lg 27uk600 4K monitor

My pc still runs all of my games great at 4K ultra settings and I’m still in the process of working through my backlog (only borderlands 3 left now).

I think my cpu would be the only bottleneck once next gen games start coming out due to lack of cores, but later this year I’ll probably build a new system anyway once the new nvidia cards come out.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
i7-4790K clocked at 4.5GHz and slightly undervolted
32GB DDR3
Asus Z97-A motherboard
nVidia GTX 1080 (non Ti - the original "founders edition")
512GB Samsung 950 EVO M.2.
2TB HDD (WD Black)
Corsair 650W PSU

It's all pretty old now - I was waiting for the RTX cards to upgrade, but when I borrowed my friends RTX2080 I was completely underwhelmed - and I'm not enough of a graphics whore that turning the settings down bothers me that much.

That will always be the case. 4xxx I doubt will have enough to do full path tracing @4k/60. It depends on where developers are in the next 2yrs. I also think you'll always face that "waiting for next cycle so I can get previous cycle for only 50% of the costs". Ironically, the 2080Ti is still worth over $1k. I don't see that changing much with 3xxx coming out this year - which is weird.

The rumor is the 3060 has similar or higher ray tracing performance as the 2080ti.

Im assuming a similar leap for the 4060 with even more performance in the 4070. Also running with dlssX.0

Top Bottom