• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A visit to Id Software circa 1993

Really interesting video. Great to see the office and their enthusiasm for Doom when it was so close to release. Romero designed the levels, didn't he? Watching this makes me want to play an FPS with broad, complex levels and lots of secret areas. I hope Duke 3D comes out on Vita soon.

G-Fex

Really interesting video. Great to see the office and their enthusiasm for Doom when it was so close to release. Carmack designed the levels, didn't he? Watching this makes me want to play an FPS with broad, complex levels and lots of secret areas. I hope Duke 3D comes out on Vita soon.

Nah I think Carmack was more the tech guy. Sandy Peterson, Romero, McGee were map makers. (I'm sure I'm missing others)

Farks!

White sneakers, washed out jeans, t-shirts with obnoxious colour design and fluffy haircuts.

Early '90s confirmed.

Nah I think Carmack was more the tech guy. Sandy Peterson, Romero, McGee were map makers. (I'm sure I'm missing others)

American McGee wasn't part of id for the development of Doom, but he did do level design for Doom II. Tom Hall did contribute some levels before he left though.

For some incite on Doom's level design check out this video from December 2013. An IGN editor plays co-op with John Romero on Doom's 20th birthday: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

John Romero breaks down the level design process. It's really fascinating stuff.

G-Fex

American McGee wasn't part of id for the development of Doom, but he did do level design for Doom II. Tom Hall did contribute some levels before he left though.

For some incite on Doom's level design check out this video from December 2013. An IGN editor plays co-op with John Romero on Doom's 20th birthday: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

John Romero breaks down the level design process. It's really fascinating stuff.

Darn, I could've sworn I saw McGee's name in the credits. Maybe it's Ult Doom?

Nzyme32

Really great vid to see, especially the reactions to it at that stage. I miss the days of seeing something so exciting, unique and a genuinely new experience

asa

Just few weeks before release and sound effects and some decorations are missing and E1M1 second room is different from the final build! nice footage :)

As someone said earlier, read Masters of Doom!

Wait, this is old.

Fuck, I thought this was a new...old...thing.

Yeah, 5 yrs apparently, but whatever, I hadn't seen it before.

Really great vid to see, especially the reactions to it at that stage. I miss the days of seeing something so exciting, unique and a genuinely new experience

Yeah, perhaps it's just because we're older. But I sincerely hope the Oculus might rekindle some of that fire.

Zing

Banned
I got excited thinking this was new footage. I started watching and immediately remembered seeing these scenes. Yep, uploaded five years ago.

Sapiens

Really reminded me of how watershed Aladdin on the md was. People would just stop and stare at it.

And doom man. So huge. 1993 was a big big year in gaming. One of the best.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow, is this what nerds back then looked like? Weird hockey hair dorks? I bet they loved Megadeth.

Peep that Ensoniq EPS. Gimme dat!

That composer guy makes rad music. I love the Windows 95 genre!

Also, they're using the SNES sound effects from Wolfenstein 3d, which apparently came out in 1994, but Doom came out in 1993.

Wow, is this what nerds back then looked like? Weird hockey hair dorks? I bet they loved Megadeth.

Peep that Ensoniq EPS. Gimme dat!

That composer guy makes rad music. I love the Windows 95 genre!

Also, they're using the SNES sound effects from Wolfenstein 3d, which apparently came out in 1994, but Doom came out in 1993.

The ending of the video stated that they had just finished the in-house port of Wolfenstein 3D, so they used the sound effects from the game. This was recorded in November 1993 and the SNES port of Wolfenstein 3D was released four months later, I imagine they spent a lot of time on censorship.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Did John Romero make anything cool after this? I think I'm going to play Doom on PC for the first time today. I rented it for SNES once but didn't get that far.

Did John Romero make anything cool after this? I think I'm going to play Doom on PC for the first time today. I rented it for SNES once but didn't get that far.

He was equally involved in Quake 1. Pretty sure he did the entire first episode.

Ah fuck, the Shareware years. Man what a strange time looking back. Thanks for posting this, I never caught it. I'd love to read Masters of Doom at some point.

Ifrit

I don't know if you're joking or not about playing doom on PC for the first time ever

LTTP thread?

According to the Doom Bible, the game was originally meant to be more complex. John Carmack wanted a much simpler experience. So, I think Doom is more like the game Carmack wanted to play.

Yep, Tom Hall really wasn't happy with the direction that id was going in with Wolf3D and Doom, he really wanted to continue making more family friendly games like Keen. Most of his design documents were ignored at id with Doom and he left to work with Apogee on Rise of the Triad, which did use some of his original Doom ideas.

I don't know if you're joking or not about playing doom on PC for the first time ever

LTTP thread?

The game is 20 years old going on 21, as iconic as it is, there are still a lot of people out there who have not played it. And for those people, I recommend the Doom thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772826&highlight=doom+thread

Really reminded me of how watershed Aladdin on the md was. People would just stop and stare at it.

And doom man. So huge. 1993 was a big big year in gaming. One of the best.

It's still amazing that Doom managed to conquer the world without any retail distribution or advertising back in 1993. The game spread through word of mouth and by spreading the game through shareware. Doom wasn't even sold at retail until 1995 with Ultimate Doom and it was already a house hold name before that version was released.

G-Fex

Yep, Tom Hall really wasn't happy with the direction that id was going in with Wolf3D and Doom, he really wanted to continue making more family friendly games like Keen. Most of his design documents were ignored at id with Doom and he left to work with Apogee on Rise of the Triad, which did use some of his original Doom ideas.

The game is 20 years old going on 21, as iconic as it is, there are still a lot of people out there who have not played it. And for those people, I recommend the Doom thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772826&highlight=doom+thread

It's still amazing that Doom managed to conquer the world without any retail distribution or advertising back in 1993. The game spread through word of mouth and by spreading the game through shareware. Doom wasn't even sold at retail until 1995 with Ultimate Doom and it was already a house hold name before that version was released.

Oh wow so that's why there was ordering info in those things. So I guess they ordered directly from Id then?

Man I never grew up with a PC but that sounds amazing to experience the shareware 30 times over before getting to order it finally.

Oh wow so that's why there was ordering info in those things. So I guess they ordered directly from Id then?

Man I never grew up with a PC but that sounds amazing to experience the shareware 30 times over before getting to order it finally.

Correct, if you liked the shareware demo, you would order the rest of the game directly from id for like $30.00 or so. They would send a couple of 3.5 inch floppy disks (I think there was an optional CD too) in the mail, which I am pretty sure didn't include a box or manual, just the disks. As far as I know Doom was independently sold by mail order from December 1993 to about April 1995. Though there were home console ports that were released near the end of 1994 with the Sega 32X and Atari Jaguar.

I never actually owned the original Doom, and I never purchased it until Ultimate Doom. But in my neck of the woods Shareware disks were available to buy at nearly every grocery store check-out line and in department stores. The Shareware disks would cost less than $6.00 (Canadian, at least) and be released by third party venders that would contain a handful of shareware games from Apogee, id and Epic, as well as other random companies. I used to have a pretty big collection of shareware disks and CD's from back then. Shareware was usually 1/3rd of the game for free, so most demos could keep you occupied for days, weeks or sometimes months.

Almost everybody I knew who had a PC back then had at least a shareware copy of Doom installed on it, and most of them could barely get the game to run at all at a decent framerate either without having the drop the window size to one of the smaller settings.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is so rock & roll, and strangely inspiring.

Hearing Bobby Prince talk about MIDI and Adlib audio feels like he's talking about stuff from another lifetime haha, it's been so long ago since we had to deal with MIDI and Adlib stuff. Awesome.

Chinbo37

Correct, if you liked the shareware demo, you would order the rest of the game directly from id for like $30.00 or so. They would send a couple of 3.5 inch floppy disks (I think there was an optional CD too) in the mail, which I am pretty sure didn't include a box or manual, just the disks. As far as I know Doom was independently sold by mail order from December 1993 to about April 1995. Though there were home console ports that were released near the end of 1994 with the Sega 32X and Atari Jaguar.

I never actually owned the original Doom, and I never purchased it until Ultimate Doom. But in my neck of the woods Shareware disks were available to buy at nearly every grocery store check-out line and in department stores. The Shareware disks would cost less than $6.00 (Canadian, at least) and be released by third party venders that would contain a handful of shareware games from Apogee, id and Epic, as well as other random companies. I used to have a pretty big collection of shareware disks and CD's from back then. Shareware was usually 1/3rd of the game for free, so most demos could keep you occupied for days, weeks or sometimes months.

Almost everybody I knew who had a PC back then had at least a shareware copy of Doom installed on it, and most of them could barely get the game to run at all at a decent framerate either without having the drop the window size to one of the smaller settings.

I remember going to my local computer stores and digging through bins of shareware marked down to like 1 or 2 bucks. There was of course no box or manual so you had to guess what the game was like from the title or maybe you knew something about it.

Respawn

Banned
Damn, didn't know anyone had this kind of footage just sitting in their house and not been uploaded to somewhere on the internet already.

This is back when 320x240 looked amazing and my brother was tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys files to free up enough system memory to play Syndicate, SimCity 2000 and Wing Commander II.
Whoa I use to do this. Duane is that you?

spirity

Its easy to forget just how groundbreaking Doom was. I remember my friends brother showing it to me on his pc and I was floored. Couldn't believe how immersive and scary it was. All the comments like "wow, unbelievable" and "oh, now thats coool" was the same things I said back then.

Great vid, thanks for sharing.

The excitement level for things with think of as overdone and mundane is really cool to hear. Things like flickering lights, transparent textures, exploding barrels, enemies fighting eachother, enemies falling down stairs. Some of these have become standard, some are complained about for being gimmicky and overdone (exploding barrels), and some are rarely seen (enemies fighting eachother).

Ah fuck, the Shareware years. Man what a strange time looking back. Thanks for posting this, I never caught it. I'd love to read Masters of Doom at some point.

Do it, as a gamer that was one of the most entertaining and inspiring things I have ever read. It's a great fucking book.

Its easy to forget just how groundbreaking Doom was. I remember my friends brother showing it to me on his pc and I was floored. Couldn't believe how immersive and scary it was.

Also saw this at a friend's house first. It was such a massive jump from anything else that was out back then. Glad to have experienced that. Must've been a bit like seeing Ridley Scott's Alien in a theater in 1979 or something.

Top Bottom