• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Way Out releases March 23 – Why is it so quiet?

TannerDemoz

So, back in June last year, A Way Out, a co-op game from the director of Brothers – a tale of two songs, was announced.

What is it?

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, the game has been designed specifically with co-op in mind. As a huge fan of split-screen co-op, I'm really excited for the game, but I've heard little about it since its announcement, which is rather worrying given the game is set to be released on March 23 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Players control Leo and Vincent, two convicted prisoners who must break out of prison and stay on the run from authorities. As the story of both protagonists is told simultaneously, their progress may not be synchronized, which may result in one player being able to control their character, while another watching a cutscene.

Similar to the PlayStation 4 version of Far Cry 4, players will be able to join online sessions (hosted by the player's friends) whether or not the joining player owns the actual game

Where's the hype?

Given it's being published by EA, where is all the press/marketing at? I really want more co-op/ split-screen games, so it would be a huge shame for it to flop due to lack of advertising.

Was wondering if anyone else is excited for this game and just generally wanted to share what I know about it!

Geki-D

Banned
Could have swore this was a XB1 exclusive at one point. I'm pretty much gone off of that idea till about the last month.

Denton

It looks interesting and original, but personally I prefer singleplayer games so I will likely pass on it. As for why there seems to be no hype..I dunno. Maybe EA is not putting in the marketing dollar necessary.

Aces&Eights

The coop is what is turning me off. I really enjoyed Brothers: ATOTS and the dual stick control for each brother was genius. I prefer playing alone but with the woman watching me and us taking are time to do things like explore, pause to discuss, etc. (g/f can't use a controller to save her life so having her play a character is hopeless).

Unless I am missing something and the game does allow the whole thing to be played by one person?

NovumAngel

Banned
The coop is what is turning me off. I really enjoyed Brothers: ATOTS and the dual stick control for each brother was genius. I prefer playing alone but with the woman watching me and us taking are time to do things like explore, pause to discuss, etc. (g/f can't use a controller to save her life so having her play a character is hopeless).

Unless I am missing something and the game does allow the whole thing to be played by one person?
Doesn't look like it I'm afraid:
"It is specifically designed for split-screen cooperative multiplayer, which means that it must be played with another player through either local or online play."
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/10/a-way-out-is-a-fully-co-operative-prison-breakdown-adventure/

iconmaster

Banned
Honestly, this is a weird one. Mechanically novel, but that's both a blessing and a curse. Blessing, because it attracts attention. Curse, because it turns off players looking for something a little more familiar.

The game developer's dilemma in a nutshell, basically.

DonF

I believe that EA doesnt think it deserve more marketing bucks. "Fuck the oscars" dude really caused an impression

fermcr

Unfortunately, forced co-op games are not for me. Prefer single player.
It's a pity! Game looks interesting.

Mandatory co-op game with my **** ass internet connection? Yeah I think I'll pass on this one. Loved Brothers though.
Unfortunately, forced co-op games are not for me. Prefer single player.
It's a pity! Game looks interesting.
I don't play co-op games. My personal taste.
Will wait for reviews for this one. Rarely play co-op games.

I will also add that I do not purchase games with co-op as a core feature.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have issues with playing co-op story driven titles. I like taking my time, looking around and listening. My friends (and family) do not. They prefer to rush through things as quickly as possible. I will most likely be skipping this and viewing a let's play. Rather disappointing.

bitbydeath

I’ll probably grab it later as I am interested but currently working through my backlog til God of War arrives an then have Detroit releasing not long after that. It’s a busy year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It coming same day as Ni no Kuni 2, which a game I'm much more interested playing.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sooooo, I had no idea that with A Way Out, you only need one copy to play co op online, regardless of whether or not you bought a physical or digital copy. That's pretty fucking awesome.

Mandatory co-op game with my shit ass internet connection? Yeah I think I'll pass on this one. Loved Brothers though.
It has local co op as well.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's just one of those games I could care less about. Plus i really don't like the main characters and co-op games in general.

Last edited:

Shini42

Watched 30 min. of gameplay on IGN channel on youtube. I know, that it is a low budget indie game, but I can't get over how lame it looks (visuals and gameplay bouth). That's what happens when a small team gets too ambitious. IMO, they would've been better off with another title like Brothers.

I may have discovered a reason.

A Way Out is the next game from the indie team behind the brilliant Brothers: A Tale of Two sons. Like the studio’s first game, it focuses on two characters who need to cooperate to win. Unlike the first game, it’s being published by EA.

That doesn’t mean EA has any creative control over the game, however. In fact, A Way Out’s outspoken, middle finger-flipping lead designer, Josef Fares, claims that EA isn’t even making any money out of the partnership.

Here’s the thing, and you have to understand this: with this deal that I have for this game, EA is not making a single dollar out of this,” Fares explained in an interview with The Sixth Axis. “Every single dollar is going to the developer. They’re not even making any money and all I’ve got is support from EA.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/14/a-way-out-earnings-ea/

TannerDemoz

Yeah, doesn't appear to make a lot of sense on the face of it. I don't tend to think of EA as charitable.

Absolutely. Only thing I could think of is it's tact PR on EA's half (with Fares' statement), but given how outspoken he is, I can't imagine he'd do any BSing on their behalf.

To be fair, I guess EA have more to gain from supporting this title, because it is decent PR to be not taking any money and he is a hilariously outspoken figure who will probably continue to gain coverage with future efforts from the studio.

I'm actually really excited for the game and can't wait to play through it with a friend.

I can't tell from the gameplay if it's all QTE gameplay or if the person controlling the guy is pressing button commands here and there. If it's just a QTE movie with button commandes and some mini-games, this will fail hard imho. I'm interested thought waiting for reviews on this one.

ickythingz

Banned
Thanks for bringing this game to my attention OP. Looks fun, will keep an eye on it. I am surprised that I have never heard of this game until now. World needs more solid coop games.

Raimond

Man even thought there are definitely other games I'm looking forward to, A Way Out feels like a special game that I think I'm wanting the most. It literally feels they are making the co-op experience I've always wanted.

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
I've been waiting for this game for a while. Brothers was a fantastic game and the whole 70's prison break/cinematic feel speaks directly to me (Brawl In Cell Block 99 was one of my favorite movies of last year) Also it's more rare to find a co-op game I can play to the end with a friend of mine.

DryvBy

Hold up.

Similar to the PlayStation 4 version of Far Cry 4, players will be able to join online sessions (hosted by the player's friends) whether or not the joining player owns the actual game

That's a game changer. I'll probably dig in now.

grumpyGamer

not really much in the way of marketing of the game, maybe EA got upset because of what he said about them at the conference, but really hyped of the game

To me it's that this is a busy time and I've got way too many games to play and this game isn't something I'm interested enough in to purchase it despite the two former factors.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Well... the game doesn't look like a U$60 game, and the dude that is making the game said that EA sucks, so there's a good chance to become a good game that nobody buys, like Metroid in Japan

all proceeds go to the devs so that is the reason why there is barely any marketing for it. a double edged sword depending on how you see it.

Top Bottom