• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Wild SteamBoy Appeared. Smach Zero. From $699...

Crayon

The Smach Zero. Preorders start November 10th and supposedly ships q1 2016.
Thanks Alexandros for finding this.

steam-smach-zero.jpg

PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/steamboy-or-smach-zero-is-a-portable-handheld-steam-machine/

Hexus: http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/85415-smach-zero-portable-steam-machine-pre-order-date-price/

YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TOUc-MCMUE

Spec:

AMD embedded G-Series SoC 'Steppe Eagle' with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon graphics
4GB RAM
32GB internal memory plus SD Card Slot, USB OTG
5-inch Touch screen with 720p resolution
Configurable tactile gamepads
HDMI video output
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity
4G mobile network connectivity (PRO model only)
SteamOS

Are you down? I'm down.

YouTube video where they don't even show the device off and instead just play music and push information about it across the screen seems kind of screwy. I'd think they would want to show this thing off and how well it actually works.

I'm guessing it'll be hard to gauge the power of the GPU in this until it comes out? Curious what its like relative to the nvidia shield tablet

nubbe

anyone expect a Jaguar APU to be able to run games over 10fps?

maybe 2 hours of battery life in games?

Crayon

anyone expect a Jaguar APU to be able to run games over 10fps?

Idk, what games? I figure it's good for streaming anything even mildly demanding from your pc. Otherwise it should be comparable to a vita and that plays alot of games. I have about 40 steamos games and I think this would actually play most of them pretty good.

nubbe

the problem is the (likely) slow ass speed of the ram, not the size
it will have a huge impact on the framerate

KTS2448

At $300, Its a decent price for what you get. The real issue is it loses alot of value if you don't have the ability to access internet on the go. So if your phone plan has it where you can make a mobile 4G hotspot with a ton of data then this is a great device for you.

Neo Geo

Neo Member
Not sure if there is a market for this. It sure has superior power for a handheld system, but not enough for AAA titles in a way PC-users are used to. I wonder how long you will be able to play on the go with 4G and 720p graphics and they will release two different models. New hardware is always fascinating though and I hope they'll have success with the smach zero.

Crayon

Oh looks like it is old. By almost two weeks.

My primary concern with this device would be not knowing if it's going to ship when they say it is. I'm confident they'll take your money either way.

MUnited83

For you.
At $300, Its a decent price for what you get. The real issue is it loses alot of value if you don't have the ability to access internet on the go. So if your phone plan has it where you can make a mobile 4G hotspot with a ton of data then this is a great device for you.

How so? You can play the games offline...

Why would you need to connect to the internet with it while on the go?

DedValve

Banned
I just need this to be an indie and emulator machine. Indies are such great prices on steam and generally have a more active community.

shaowebb

This has my interest. There are a LOT of steam titles that I'd be interested in having on the go. Like a whole metric shitload of shmups, beat em up and fighting games.

Heck if its able to put Dynasty Warriors on that thing I know I'll be happy on 12 hour turnovers from now on. Coal feeders plugged up? Stuck at the silo clearing out plugged lines? Covered in coal and ash? Time to beat the shit outta hundreds of dudes :p

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is this based on the Steam controller or is it it's own thing? If it's a Steam controller that could be pretty dope.

Crayon

Is this based on the Steam controller or is it it's own thing? If it's a Steam controller that could be pretty dope.

The steam controller is open standard so yeah this is that. These guys could fuck it up tho. I got a tapwave zodiac and those fuckers couldn't get an analog stick to not drift.

VICI0US

whoa, neat.

I've been getting into steam streaming lately and this device might be really nice for the times when my wife's watching something on our main TV. I've been using a laptop with a wired 360 pad, but this would definitely be a bit less cumbersome.

Looking forward to some review/hands-on videos.

Azure J

I wonder if that AMD setup is one of the portable "design wins" they were bragging about a while back?

Actual post: I wonder what we could glean about potential AMD portable NX designs from the performance of this device.

Two things I'm still tryina find out:

1) Does this device support the 5ghz wifi channel?

2) Can the Steam OS be used as a client for Steam In-Home Streaming from a Windows host?

If the answer is yes to the both of these, then I'll be willing to purchase this device and try out how well it works. Hopefully it works very well for gamestreaming.

Oh looks like it is old. By almost two weeks.

My primary concern with this device would be not knowing if it's going to ship when they say it is. I'm confident they'll take your money either way.

Why would you need internet on the go?

On topic: All I care about is if this thing can <10 ms lag stream games from my desktop like a wii U pad.

If it can I NEED one, if not it's useless.

SteamOS means it's running an x86 processor, right? Is there anything stopping you from installing Windows on here?

Could be a super interesting device if yes. Probably not something I'd get because $$$, but the hacking community would be fun.

Top Bottom