• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aa Mujou Setsuna - 2D bullet-hell shooter for DSiWare by Arika

Well, this is the first DSi software I've seen that makes me want the handheld. I bet this is by Arika's shooter maniac Mihara, who did Ketsui DS pretty much by himself. The music reminds me of other Arika games... maybe Shinji Hosoe or YACK did it?

Anyway, it's got Cave-like bullet patterns and tons of bullet-to-medal conversion, so I'm 100% interested. I'd buy a retail release, but it's only 500 points, so that's more than worth it, I think.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/k59j/index.html?link=rss

Kotaku has an article with the same vidya: http://kotaku.com/5347591/nintendo-brings-shmup-to-dsiware-yes-nintendo

Additional video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWpk2EzTZ1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XEk4rPjb4

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yes! This is the type of stuff the DSIware needs. Dig the music, and the way bullets cube over when the enemy is defeated.

Posted the same thing on shmups, but I'm hyped!

Wow this game looks really fun, especially from the second video. For me this is a system seller.
Picking up a DSi this weekend...can't believe this is out next week!

Gotta love the name too which could translate to

"AGH! How heartless and suffocating!"

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I've always wanted an excuse to get a red DSi. Cave fans won't dig it though - it's not moe enough for them.

Bit-Bit said:
How the hell do they test games like this for bugs?
In arcades, they usually have the best players beat the games to death in location tests.

For this, the people making it probably know a lot of the same players, so it's likely a similar process.

jiji said:
In arcades, they usually have the best players beat the games to death in location tests.

For this, the people making it probably know a lot of the same players, so it's likely a similar process.

Mihara, the chief programmer behind this game posted an open debugging invitation to top scorers on his blog a couple months ago when we didn't have any info on the game. Should be pretty solid.

Somnid

It's published by Nintendo which should go a long way in helping it's chances at a European and American release.

duckroll

Wow, first REAL DSiWare game as far as I'm concerned. I personally hope there aren't many more, since I don't want to get a DSi.

HUELEN10

duckroll said:
Wow, first REAL DSiWare game as far as I'm concerned. I personally hope there aren't many more, since I don't want to get a DSi.
Why not? Just curious on the matter.

duckroll

The game sounds like it's totally suited towards DSiWare. It's a high-score shooter, with internet ranking. There are two modes - Pattern Mode and Random Mode, and you basically just do score attack with a choice of 2 types of fighters. I assume there are no real stages, no bosses, etc. It's just a 500 point game after all. Hopefully this leads to a full blown retail shooter somewhere along the line in 2010. I'll buy that, but I won't buy a DSi just to play some score attack thing.

HUELEN10 said:
Why not? Just curious on the matter.

I already have a DS? Simple answer!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:

Hardware is only a means to an end for games. If there are many more, your hesitation to buy a DSi should evaporate because it'll be a better value. I didn't want to buy three home consoles this generation, but there ended up being enough on each to make it worth my while.

_dementia said:
no DSi (plus region lock) makes me sad

Nintendo is publishing this and they've so far had a 100% localization ratio on anything digital that /could/ be localized so the region issue should be overcome.

DR2K said:
DSi has region lock? :lol

For digital downloads.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
Hardware is only a means to an end for games. If there are many more, your hesitation to buy a DSi should evaporate because it'll be a better value. I didn't want to buy three home consoles this generation, but there ended up being enough on each to make it worth my while.

"If" being the key operator here. Which is why I *hope* there isn't, because I don't want to spend money on a DSi which ultimately mostly plays games my DS already can play. Honestly though, even if there were 20 DSiWare games that look really cool, I probably still wouldn't bother with a DSi, because they are.... DSiWare games. If DSi-only retail games start rolling out, that's another matter.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
DR2K said:
DSi has region lock? :lol

For downloadable games* (like pretty much every system).

* For now, we'll have to see if Retail DSi-only software gets region-locked. There was some unclear language released by Nintendo a few months back on the subject, so we'll have to see.

Tain

Unlike Darius Burst, I'm pretty sure this game is gonna be worthwhile despite the platform. Unless they do some stupid shit like Ketsui DS giving you free lives, of course!

I'm not a fan of it being purely score-driven, though. That sounds like noiz2sa or something.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
good. i hope they add mii intergration for the NA version.

Tain

So go play some Gradius V or something. It's not like even shooters could stay the same forever.

Hell, I often wonder why people bother with the distinction. There are parts in stuff like R-Type and Gradius where I feel like the screen is just as busy as in a Cave game.

DeBurgo

At first I thought it had a mars-matrix like bullet eater mode, but looks more like it's just got an espgaluda style bullet slowdown mechanic? The latter being much preferable to the former, in my opinion... god damn if this doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out over there, though.

Aeris130

Hmm, not really seeing anything new and exciting here. Is there some creative aspect of this game that warrants a purchase, or just another bullet-hell?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Aeris130 said:
Hmm, not really seeing anything new and exciting here. Is there some creative aspect of this game that warrants a purchase, or just another bullet-hell?
It's a shooter. You shoot things and go for high scores (once you learn how to survive, that is).

what else is there to desire? :D

Aeris130 said:
this is like saying "is there some creative aspect of BlazBlue that warrants a purchase, or is it just another combo-heavy fighter?"

duckroll

jiji said:
this is like saying "is there some creative aspect of BlazBlue that warrants a purchase, or is it just another combo-heavy fighter?"

You mean there's something wrong with that statement? :eek:

I kid, I kid, put the knives down...

Tain said:
Hell, I often wonder why people bother with the distinction. There are parts in stuff like R-Type and Gradius where I feel like the screen is just as busy as in a Cave game.
And those games have huge hit boxes! To me they're harder than most bullet hell games.

This looks great. If it comes here who knows how long we'll have to wait. Mondays are going to be even more disappointing than usual now. :(

n3ss

aka acr0nym
jiji said:
September 2nd. And as long as you've got a Japanese DSi, you should be fine, I think?

I'm just curious on how to get the points in order to buy it on the Japanese store considering I live in the US, any help? And thanks for the release date, didn't see it :D

Somnid

n3ss said:
I'm just curious on how to get the points in order to buy it on the Japanese store considering I live in the US, any help? And thanks for the release date, didn't see it :D

I've heard you can use a US credit card but I've never tested this. Otherwise you'll need a Japanese point card.

inthegray

Somnid said:
I've heard you can use a US credit card but I've never tested this. Otherwise you'll need a Japanese point card.
yeah, you can easily buy points through your DSi with a U.S. credit card. the DSi Shop doesn't ask you for your address or anything.

Top Bottom