• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

jVHwN.png

A tipster sends us rumored word (and image) of an incoming replacement model for the 160GB Playstation 3 which brings with it a change in the way some people will hook the console up to their HD television.

The new "K" chassis, which Sony will begin shipping to retailers this week, will require customers to use an HDMI cable to play a game or watch a movie in high definition, according to the tipster. The component out, which on all other models supports high definition video modes, will no longer do so, according to a memo apparently sent around at GameStop today.

All future models of the PS3, the memo continues, will require an HDMI cable for high definition output. Previous models will not be updated to require HDMI for high definition viewing.

Finally, as GameStop puts it, offering the HDMI cables to customers picking up a PS3 will "also help you drive add-on sales."

We've reached out to Playstation for comment on the rumor and to ask why, if it's true, the change is being made. It sounds like it could be tied to digital rights management. Stay tuned.

http://kotaku.com/5820540/is-sony-quietly-removing-a-ps3-feature

I doubt it'll affect many (if any) people, but still pretty annoying as it forces people to buy a HDMI cable.

I don't understand the point. Does this cost Sony any money? And don't they make money selling their component cables? Aren't generic HDMI cables really cheap and easy to buy? Who is this benefitting?

But they still only include SD cables w/ the PS3, disgusting.

This wouldn't be a problem if they just included a 3 or 6 foot cable. It doesn't bother me that this is happening as anyone buying a PS3 now should have a HDTV.

H_Prestige said:
I don't understand the point. Does this cost Sony any money? And don't they make money selling their component cables? Aren't generic HDMI cables really cheap and easy to buy? Who is this benefitting?

General public doesn't buy HDMI cables on monoprice.com or even amazon.com (cheaper than stores as well). Most buy HDMI @ Target/Best Buy/Wal-Mart.

jmdajr

A big fuck you to people with old school HDTVs...

I guess they figure anyone buying a ps3 at 199.99 skipped HDTV all together and doesn't care for it. Once they do care, the modern TVs have the connection.

I just feel bad for those who will buy monster cables...

antonz

H_Prestige said:
Average consumer doesnt know where to get HDMI cheap so they spent 40+ on them which retailers LOVE.

At this point Sony has no reason not to include an HDMI cable. Was disappointing buying my PS3 in 2011 and having sub HD cables included in the box

Wolfe

Crunched said:
HDMI cables are like $1.

Which is why I find it perplexing that they don't just toss one in each box. Then again my new xbox 360 slim came with not only no HDMI but no component either, way to go microsoft :|

Good thing I had a left over HDMI from the cable box that I got rid of.

LiK

many people like me use certain capture devices that use component. guess that's out the window with the new one.

Duxxy3

The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.

LiK said:
many people like me use certain capture devices that use component. guess that's out the window with the new one.
Yep, like all the folks who stream fighting game tournaments with the Happague PVR too. Sucks.

garath

Erasus said:
Why use component anyway? HDMI cables are cheap, and if your HDTV does not have HDMI then... wow

Some TVs only have 1 or two HDMI inputs. Mine only has 1 and I have 4 devices that use HDMI. This will force some folks to get a HDMI switch.

jmdajr

Duxxy3 said:
The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.

yup, what have they improved besides adding bitsream hd audio?

not a damn thing.

goldenpp72

guess it's time to buy a 360?

kind of non news, most all hdtvs have hdmi ports and you can score em for 3 bucks or so.

Duxxy3 said:
If only it ran as cool as the later models. I feel like my 60gb can die at any moment, even though it hasn't given me any problems yet.

Grisby

Wow, I'm pretty sure my TV has HDMI but it is an older one. Still, thats kind of a low blow on Sony's part.

1-D_FTW

DasRaven said:
It's a mandate from the AACS adopter forum that blu-ray players built after Dec. 2010 sunset HD over analog. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5854

Makes sense. Such much DRM in video standards for a while (which is idiotic seeing as people can strip out all the flags on PC). Just another thing that only affects the honest people who aren't technically inclined.

Lopson

Neo Member
Dear Sony,

Are you stupid?

Sincerely yours,
A PS3 user that converts Component signal to VGA to play games on a 1080p VGA-only Computer Monitor.

They are going with the industry, like sheep. They want to kill analogue for good. I will not support that bullcrap. You know why they want to kill it? Just so they can control the flow of the signal coming out of your digital media player. Disgusting.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Crunched said:
HDMI cables are like $1.
A new TV with a HDMI port, if yours doesn't have it, costs a little bit more ;p

1-D_FTW said:
Makes sense. Such much DRM in video standards for a while (which is idiotic seeing as people can strip out all the flags on PC). Just another thing that only affects the honest people who aren't technically inclined.
Yep.

jmdajr said:
yup, what have they improved besides adding bitsream hd audio?

not a damn thing.
They fixed the clock.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sucks for those who want to capture video.

How are the media, hobbyists, etc going to record console footage in an HDMI-only future?

Duxxy3 said:
Agreed.

Erasus

LiK said:

Oh I am so used to FRAPS I did not think about this.

Why cant PVRs use HDMI?

jmdajr

_dementia said:
They removed SACD playback though. As niche as that format was, it's still a shame.

yup. I love my 60gb. Not being able to bitsream is not a deal breaker really. My receiver can still add sound processing to the LPCM audio after the ps3 decodes the original audio.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Erasus said:
Why cant PVRs use HDMI?
There's DRM called "HDCP" over HDMI cables... it won't let your device record.

Hackers better get to work!

Duxxy3

H_Prestige said:
If only it ran as cool as the later models. I feel like my 60gb can die at any moment, even though it hasn't given me any problems yet.

I sold my 60GB model 3 years ago to a friend. On average that thing is on 4-8 hours a day and it's perfectly fine.

Duxxy3 said:

I can't think of any other system that has lost so many features after the launch units came out.

DasRaven said:
It's a mandate from the AACS adopter forum that blu-ray players built after Dec. 2010 sunset HD over analog. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5854

And this has to do with games how? Just as dumb as requiring HDCP for some games to play.

androvsky said:
The cable isn't the problem, they'd still have to buy a component cable, and I dare say a cheap HDMI cable is better than a cheap component one. The annoying part is for people with older HD displays that don't support HDMI.

I didn't have to buy a component cable for my PS3, I used the one I had on my PS2.

That would really be a problem for me, since we use mostly component-cables to capture footage at work. I guess I could try to use an HDMI->DVI converter, but IIRC I already tried this some time ago and got no signal because of HDCP, even when playing games.

Peagles

Offering the HDMI cables will also help you drive add-on sales.

This alone suggests they probably won't include them in the box, but rather, poor folk who don't know any better will be tricked into buying a $99 HDMI cable with their purchase.

I hate this tactic...

VariantX

So, now I have to buy a brand new HDTV just to play PS3 games in HD since my HDTV is apparently too old now? Fantastic.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
OldJadedGamer said:
And this has to do with games how? Just as dumb as requiring HDCP for some games to play.
The PS3 requires HDCP for everything via HDMI. My gf couldn't play our (shared) PS3 on her monitor because it wasn't HDCP-compliant.

Top Bottom