• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg - Family Sharing was not time limited

Oppo

It's not new news though, it was all over the other thread yesterday ;)

Besides, Greenberg is not beholden to MS PR, and he can say whatever he wants now that we'll never see that feature in it's original form.

Dysun

I believe cboat at this point. No reason to confirm it was times, it always sounded too good to be true

Curufinwe

Then there's no reason for them to not let us share our Xbox One digital purchases with 10 different people, all of whom can play the entire game with no restrictions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And I am the Queen of France!

rhk18Aa.jpg

Striek

If family sharing was a real thing that was fully planned out it would still be there for digital titles. It makes ZERO sense that revoking retail DRM affected digital if they already have publisher agreements in place.

Then there's no reason for them to not let us share our Xbox One digital purchases with 10 different people, all of whom can play the entire game with no restrictions.

The only reason for the feature to exist in any form is to try and get people to be happy with the restrictions that would have came with their old system. No reason to give people shit for free for nothing.

spookyfish

Show it actually working, Microsoft -- and not on a dev kit -- and I'll believe it. Not until then.

"Hey guys? This thing we had which we never even showed you nor adequately explained was SOOO awesome!! Anyway, back to Kinect ..."

Skilletor

In an effort to get more money to the people making the games, you only have to buy one copy for ten people.

This is perfectly logical and makes sense in every way.

Averon

With the Family Plan dead, they can say whatever they want about it since it can never be proven otherwise.

CBOAT + Common Sense>>>>>MS PR

Gowans

If family sharing was a real thing that was fully planned out it would still be there for digital titles. It makes ZERO sense that it revoking retail DRM affected digital if they already have publisher agreements in place.
I guess you'd then need the 1 hour checks for using it on your non home console and they are killing that message completely.

Courage

The only reason for the feature to exist in any form is to try and get people to be happy with the restrictions that would have came with their old system. No reason to give people shit for free for nothing.

God forbid they do something nice for their customers.

There was no time limit, it was as we described.

problem is this..

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

UNLIMITED access

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

'unlimited' nowhere to be seen

Buzzati

Banned
In an effort to get more money to the people making the games, you only have to buy one copy for ten people.

This is perfectly logical and makes sense in every way.

Right. Nobody is willing to make sense out of this scenario? Why won't someone in the industry come out and say just exactly what 9 free copies of a game is supposed to do for game developers overhead here.

Withnail

I don't think they'd really decided what it was to be honest, the whole thing reeks of a policy made on the hoof while scrambling for something positive. If this sharing idea was really planned from the start they would have made a big thing out of it at the initial reveal. It's not as if the DRM controversy only started at E3, it's been the main MS story for months.

Ocaso

Put your money where your mouth is then, do it for DD titles.

Bingo. Nothing's stopping them from following through on this as an incentive towards their all-digital future, but they won't because the whole thing was a pipe dream anyway.

Edit:
I guess you'd then need the 1 hour checks for using it on your non home console and they are killing that message completely.

Irrelevant as they could enable the checks as part of family sharing without using it for other things. Family Sharing is clearly an online feature as opposed to just lending discs, so no ill will is engendered if you make being online for it a requirement.

BigDug13

God forbid they do something nice for their customers.

Well they haven't yet, other than to backtrack. Sony tried what Microsoft described 6 years ago. Load a digital game on 5 systems. Publishers FREAKED. Sony was forced to downgrade it to two machines.

Now MS tries the same but with 10 people. Publishers would freak unless there was some sort of limitation.

They have, they're letting people live in the stone age via disc swapping.

Letting people live, not forcing people to live. You can still buy every game digitally. If you want the future, you shouldn't be buying discs at all.

Enable it for digital-only games then.
As good as the feature is, and therefore would be something I'd like to see implemented what makes a digital title any different from a physical copy in terms of the quality or availability of internet access.

Just because you digitally downloaded a title does not mean that you still have access to the internet every hour or 24 hours depending on what console you're playing on in the future.

That is what the 24 hour/hourly check was there for, to update the titles you have "permission" to play.

If you downloaded a title and then wanted to take your console to the cabin in the woods for a week or your internet went bust you'd be back at the original scenario of being without access to some of your games.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I believe it, no biggie though still plan on going DD only this gen.

Considering the horrible pricing, no certainty of backwards compatabity come next gen, among other stuff, I don't know why anyone would do this. And this is coming from a DD only PC gamer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
More seriously, I think famousmortimer is right on this. It was originally restricted and then Microsoft scrambled to sign deals as soon as the shit hit the fan. They couldn't get it done and so they promised clarifications to the program that never came. Then they just scrapped the whole thing. Seriously, believing that they could do otherwise when they haven't implemented the schema for DD titles is absolutely insane.

Ponn

Banned

But the developers not getting paid?

The only thing that even lends credence to this is that i dont remember them giving pricing details on this family sharing plan. Was it $50 a month? $100?

Withnail

Well they haven't yet, other than to backtrack. Sony tried what Microsoft described 6 years ago. Load a digital game on 5 systems. Publishers FREAKED. Sony was forced to downgrade it to two machines.

Now MS tries the same but with 10 people. Publishers would freak unless there was some sort of limitation.

Yes and I seem to remember some Xbox fans criticising game sharing as being bad for developers lol.

Letting people live, not forcing people to live. You can still buy every game digitally. If you want the future, you shouldn't be buying discs at all.

Retail is cheaper than digital 80% of the time. I get a lesser experience now because I'm not going to pay a digital tax.

Top Bottom