• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "in December, Xbox One outsold PS4" NPD

JaxBriggs

No saying that you would like to sell the most but if you don't it's no big deal is not being in a console war.

Where did Phil actually say that? The below doesn't read like a direct quote to me.

Of course, you don't want the head guy behind your company going out and giving interviews that say things like "if we sell less consoles that the other guys, that's cool," but at the same time, considering that Microsoft is lagging behind Sony's sales of the PS4, then Phil might be better spending his time talking about the good stuff that MS has in store for people who haven't bought an Xbox One.

Source article

He acknowledges that his team is building its momentum against a Sony that currently is rolling forward. "They beat us in June. They beat us in May," Spencer says. "These months are small if you look at the sales. I think the whole month of June is about one week in November. They're winning, and they'll do their PR around it, and that makes sense. The battle is really September, October, November, and December."

Pre-season doesn't matter guys!!

None of that sounds like console war rhetoric to you? Right...

Reading comprehension is key here for you good sir.

The irony...

Also I am done talking to you on this topic.

Probably for the best as you're only making yourself look silly at this point.

Last edited:

Bazookaxp

Where did Phil actually say that? The below doesn't read like a direct quote to me.

Of course, you don't want the head guy behind your company going out and giving interviews that say things like "if we sell less consoles that the other guys, that's cool," but at the same time, considering that Microsoft is lagging behind Sony's sales of the PS4, then Phil might be better spending his time talking about the good stuff that MS has in store for people who haven't bought an Xbox One.

Source article

He acknowledges that his team is building its momentum against a Sony that currently is rolling forward. "They beat us in June. They beat us in May," Spencer says. "These months are small if you look at the sales. I think the whole month of June is about one week in November. They're winning, and they'll do their PR around it, and that makes sense. The battle is really September, October, November, and December."

Pre-season doesn't matter guys!!

None of that sounds like console war rhetoric to you? Right...

The irony...

Probably for the best as you're only making yourself look silly at this point.

Coming from a fan boy like you that is a compliment. No one is saying they are not lagging behind in sales he just in not pushing a console war agenda like yourself taking his quotes out of context. Peace.

JaxBriggs

Coming from a fan boy like you that is a compliment. No one is saying they are not lagging behind in sales he just in not pushing a console war agenda like yourself taking his quotes out of context. Peace.

Oh you're back? OK then.

The sales disparity has nothing to do with it. Your argument is that all console war rhetoric stopped when Spencer took over. As shown though, that was clearly not true. Statements like "we're out to win the generation" and "their pre-season wins don't matter" IS console war rhetoric.

Again, it stopped not long after those comments were made, no doubt when MS realised they weren't going to catch the PS4 for sales and these sorts of comments would bite them on the ass down the track.

Hilarion

Oh I see its for each systems individual lifetime. In that case, the switch might do better overall depending on how long until the next Nintendo system.
45 million x1's lifetime seems very tame if we consider the current install base of the x1 is roughly 35 million. That would mean the X1 would have to sell less in the next 3yrs Compared to the last 3 yrs and givern things like back compat improved services and features and the launch of the 1X I dont know what reasons are causing you to predict such weak sales for the X1 in the next 3 yrs or so.

45 million might be undershooting it, but the rationale for the low numbers is my expectation that the XB1's successor system will come out in late 2019, which will dramatically slow down console sales of the XB1 in 2019 and 2020 as it approaches the end of its lifespan. It might well make it to 50 million or so, though...45 might have been underselling it.

45 million might be undershooting it, but the rationale for the low numbers is my expectation that the XB1's successor system will come out in late 2019, which will dramatically slow down console sales of the XB1 in 2019 and 2020 as it approaches the end of its lifespan. It might well make it to 50 million or so, though...45 might have been underselling it.
On the same token though an xbox one s will still be able to play the games on whatever microsoft's next gen system becomes, and on the one x as well. So fans aren't getting left behind just because they recently purchased a one x.

So you have to expect one s consoles to still sell pretty well when the next gen system does arrive and one s/x prices slashed further. The xbox one s/one x will probably be able to continue selling for a loong time after next gen arrives, in what i imagine MS hopes will be similar to what the Ps2 did.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They're not ignorant to what the fanboys are talking about. "True 4K" and "6 > 4" were designed the attack the competitor and to get people to start talking about their product. Fanboys are just more outspoken because social media has grown a lot within the past 10.

demigod

They're not ignorant to what the fanboys are talking about. "True 4K" and "6 > 4" were designed the attack the competitor and to get people to start talking about their product. Fanboys are just more outspoken because social media has grown a lot within the past 10.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks phil spencer is a saint is delusional. Sony is more concerned about worldwide numbers nowadays whereas ms will boast everytime they win an npd month. Not really worth bragging when their console is $189 the whole month and just last week you could find the minecraft bundle on ebay for $199 from ant online.

I saw that cheating in pubg for pc has been a big issue as of late. Just one more reason to avoid multiplayer games on PC like the plague.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
NPD data is fun to analyse, but let's make sure we don't call others names in the process of discussion.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Interesting, what facts lead you to believe xbox next will come in 2019?

Last edited:
Top Bottom