• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg on NextBox: E3 is all about the games, "tons of exclusives"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Would insomniac being on stage with Ms showing off an infinity exclusive be a betrayalton? Because... Well, yeah.

It would be a hilariouston.

Judging based on Insomniac's last gen output + Fuse's initial reaction, I think it's safe to say that Insomniac couldn't make a crowd vroom if it put 50,000 volts in it!

*fanboys excepted

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If Microsoft shows surprising specs, and some really polished looking launch games (and some new IP), I think a lot of people could be pleasantly surprised.

But I'm not expecting a whole lot on either front. And E3 will be reserved for most of the game talks.

Again, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if they come out with a great E3, but the initial reveal may be a bit deflating after such a long and drawn out buildup, especially since their competitor has already shown their cards for next-gen.

For me, the biggest megaton of the event would be you praising it, Hans.

StuBurns

Banned
Yes, this generation made online console gaming mainstream. We also got smaller downloadable titles.

Wii Sports was pretty mindblowning at the time as well.

What's going to blow are minds next gen?

That stuff was all an extension of the generation before. Halo 2 had been huge, Xbox 1 had live arcade, we had motion control and camera based gaming last generation too.

We'll get stuff like that, a greater focus on live streaming, community cooperation, etc. I just think MightyHedgehog is expecting too much, which in a way is great, but I think he'll be disappointed.

EDIT: And Insomniac are awful.

Outside of Respawns game, I expect Microsoft has locked down one of the annualized franchises for 1 edition.

Be it either:
- CoD
- FIFA 14
- Madden 14

or anything like that. Wile the install bases are small, the moneyhat wouldn't have to be as big.
Again, the FIFA won't and doesn't allow this. You post this in every thread man. Come on, be realistic :D

New Forza game will be announced for sure. As for anything else I really don't know. CoD Ghosts will be shown in a boring scripted event most likely though. Unfortunately half of their exclusive stuff shown will be Kinect nonsense seeing as how it's the next version of that thing. They won't just ignore it if it comes with the console this time.

They will have very few gamer's games. I don't see how or why they would suddenly shift back to 2005 after the last few years of changes they've made to their brand.

Jack_AG

Banned
Bring it on MS! I can't wait to see offerings from MS and Sony.

Here's hoping its another head to head battle next gen - it really made both kids pull out some stops for the gamer's dollar.

My popcorn/red bull/lotion is ready.

Knoxcore

They got Call of Duty and that's an automatic win for MS. Every mom and dad will listen to their 10-13 year old son who wants to play the next CoD. And which console debuted the game? The next XBox.

They've been "playing around" since, what, 2008? That's the last time I cared about one of their E3 press conferences.

I don't think an hour is going to be long enough to truly excite people. We'll see a platform that has a bunch of entertainment connectivity, we'll see the OS, we'll see the console, a few glimpses of launch titles, and I think most will be left wondering what the big deal is.

Now, that's not to say they can't have a blowout E3....for this forum's interests at least, there's just more potential for information that this forum would get excited about at E3, while quite a few will probably be bored with kinnectivity talk during the brief initial reveal.

May 21 is part of the big picture, i mean E3 included. May 21 should be pretty good though.

People expecting only kinect and shovelware games will be surprised.

People expecting COD, Battlefield, RDR2, MH exclusive and no kinect games will be very disappointed.

MS has made it clear they want it all. Dudebro demographics, casual demographics, kid demographics, non gaming demographics, etc etc

At E3, I think expecting a list of exclusive games/DLC like this is fair:

- Killer Instinct 3
- Halo 5
- Gears of War 4
- Respawn next game
- Forza 5
- DLC for COD: Ghost
- DLC for Fallout 4
- DLC for Battlefield 4
- Kinect Sports Next
- Kinect Adventures Next
- Kinect Fitness
- Ryse
- Fable Next
- New Kinect hardcore game
- Maybe a surprise like Levine's next game or GTAV DLC, though something like this will be a genuine surprise for me

I think that's a superb list of exclusives that covers a wide range of genres and demographics. I also think stuff like Dance Central will NOT be exclusive to Durango. I think Sony will have the PS4 will have the PS4Eye bundled with every system and from what we know of it, the ps4eye is more capable than kinect 1. No reason for harmonix to not put it there as well this time.

EDIT: I don't think MS will bother much with trying to get JP centric franchises (Tales, JPRGs, SO, etc) this time around.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
For me, the biggest megaton of the event would be you praising it, Hans.

pXKKcBM.gif

It would be a hilariouston.

Judging based on Insomniac's last gen output + Fuse's initial reaction, I think it's safe to say that Insomniac couldn't make a crowd vroom if it put 50,000 volts in it!

*fanboys excepted

I can tell ya some more I know since our conversation here seems to be invisible.

Hawken, Dead Rising 3, and League of Legends (console exclusivity, obviously)

I think people are going to be surprised by the number of exclusives. The start of this gen is shaping up to be more like the ps2/xbox era in terms of third party partnerships. It's more than just a month for some DLC.

Yeah but certain exclusives are just too big to simply buy off - stuff like CoD, BF, Madden, what have you is fantasty-land stuff imo.

Though I could definitely see smaller games, but still "AAA" caliber stuff in the minds of the core, being exclusively published -- maybe something like a Mass Effect, games that sell well, but not absurd amounts to the point where it's not financially beneficial to gain exclusive rights.

Satchel

Banned
Because the software sales are abysmal. The PS4 will do much better. Even the Vita has enough software sales to get FIFA. PS4 will absolutely get this, make no mistake.

I was merely suggesting they'll go for at least one annualized franchise while install bases are small.

Mrbob

Genuinely interested to hear your reasoning on this comment.

Their recent software output? It's all me too sequel games. Sony is pushing two huge new IPs for the PS3 themselves.

I'm not saying there won't be cool stuff at the Xbox reveal. I'm saying I'll be surprised if it is MS themselves pushing the limit. There better not be another Forza at the reveal. Create a new franchise.

I was merely suggesting they'll go for at least one annualized franchise while install bases are small.

Problem with this theory is that these publishers are trying to establish themselves and their markets on next-gen consoles. The initial sales may not be big, but over time as gamers migrate to the platform the sales could be quite large until next year's version releases.

And EA, Activision, et. al. do not want to ruin their momentum with certain franchises going into next-gen by holding themselves hostage to one platform just so they can make a quick buck.

gaming_noob

Speaking of Kinect, how much do Kinect-only games sell on average (no pack-ins)? I know Dance Central sold well as a standalone game but I don't know about the rest. Surely Microsoft are going to put more focus into core games that sell.

StuBurns

Banned
Their recent software output? It's all me too sequel games. Sony is pushing two huge new IPs for the PS3 themselves.

I'm not saying there won't be cool stuff at the Xbox reveal. I'm saying I'll be surprised if it is MS themselves pushing the limit. There better not be another Forza at the reveal. Create a new franchise.
Two? TLoU and what? Puppeteer?

Yeah but certain exclusives are just too big to simply buy off - stuff like CoD, BF, Madden, what have you is fantasty-land stuff imo.

Though I could definitely see smaller games, but still "AAA" caliber stuff in the minds of the core, being exclusively published -- maybe something like a Mass Effect, games that sell well, but not absurd amounts to the point where it's not financially beneficial to gain exclusive rights.

I think the first year is the only time we may see something huge, since the install base isn't huge so cutting out half isn't a big deal, especially since the majority of the sales on those IPs will be on this gens machines.

That said though I've seen all the rumors but I haven't heard from a single person in the industry anything about madden, fifa, cod, ac,bf3, etc. Though something is clearly cooking between EA and Ms...

People expecting only kinect and shovelware games will be surprised.

People expecting COD, Battlefield, RDR2, MH exclusive and no kinect games will be very disappointed.

MS has made it clear they want it all. Dudebro demographics, casual demographics, kid demographics, non gaming demographics, etc etc

At E3, I think expecting a list of exclusive games/DLC like this is fair:

- Killer Instinct 3
- Halo 5
- Gears of War 4
- Respawn next game
- Forza 5
- DLC for COD: Ghost
- DLC for Fallout 4
- DLC for Battlefield 4
- Kinect Sports Next
- Kinect Adventures Next
- Kinect Fitness
- Ryse
- Fable Next
- New Kinect hardcore game
- Maybe a surprise like Levine's next game or GTAV DLC, though something like this will be a genuine surprise for me

I think that's a superb list of exclusives that covers a wide range of genres and demographics. I also think stuff like Dance Central will NOT be exclusive to Durango. I think Sony will have the PS4 will have the PS4Eye bundled with every system and from what we know of it, the ps4eye is more capable than kinect 1. No reason for harmonix to not put it there as well this time.

EDIT: I don't think MS will bother much with trying to get JP centric franchises (Tales, JPRGs, SO, etc) this time around.

Gears 4 and Halo 5 won't appear at all.

If there are big third party exclusives, Microsoft has better bumped the specs. I really don't want to play those games with reduced graphics.

I don't think many publishers want to deal with angry fans when they announce that a popular franchise is suddenly exclusive. Chances are higher they will get new IPs as exclusives.

I think the first year is the only time we may see something huge, since the install base isn't huge so cutting out half isn't a big deal, especially since the majority of the sales on those IPs will be on this gens machines.

That said though I've seen all the rumors but I haven't heard from a single person in the industry anything about madden, fifa, cod, ac,bf3, etc. Though something is clearly cooking between EA and Ms...

Respawn for sure, I think that's pretty much a lock. Easy one for Microsoft to take a gamble on.

GameSeeker

Microsoft did a very good job obtaining exclusives early in the life of the XBOX 360 and it would not be surprising if they repeat that approach for Durango. Waiting till E3 will be hard on some folks, but doing so will give a better view of what the content picture for Durango at launch will be.

Vico

Surely they've planned at least one big first-party game for next week, right?
E3 is close, but it still feels too far away.

Two? TLoU and what? Puppeteer?

TLoU and Beyond presumably - the latter actually got front cover of the UK's Metro Tech section today, it had a picture of Jodie and something like 'this isn't a photoshop, it's a videogame' seems like they're going to push it heavily.

Also Sony have some smaller games like Puppeteer and Rain that seem to be playing around with some new ideas too.

Speaking of Kinect, how much do Kinect-only games sell on average (no pack-ins)? I know Dance Central sold well as a standalone game but I don't know about the rest. Surely Microsoft are going to put more focus into core games that sell.

I don't think many outside of Dance Central and Kinect Sports sell very well.

Wait you know this?

I don't know it that I'm working on the games in any way... But i know it in that multiple friends in the industry all have told me it. So i believe it.

And for the record I posted about knack and Cerny before the night that everyone learned about knack and Cerny.

Top Bottom