• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abolish weight classes in Boxing and MMA

Soodanim

Gold Member
While I think there should be a weightless class, and that heavyweight boxing is boring, I can understand why little guys wouldn’t want to fight a Heavyweight champ. It’s a little bit different in MMA where you do more than throw arms and you can utilise leverage.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
While I think there should be a weightless class, and that heavyweight boxing is boring, I can understand why little guys wouldn’t want to fight a Heavyweight champ. It’s a little bit different in MMA where you do more than throw arms and you can utilise leverage.
so heart of a fighter doesn't mean much?

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Could be feasible at the higher end but when the lower tier or amateur comps follow the no weight classes, you will end up with dead people no doubt

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too many classes. But you’ll never get rid of it because the more classes and belts there are the more fighters and money.

it should really be one belt, but since there are so many fighters it would be impossible to coordinate title defences.

some reason fighters only fight about twice a year, with many main fighters once a year when they get good.

Champs should be defending belts every quarter and if they are sick or injured, you lose it if you can’t fight.

the only sports in the world where if you can’t play that day you get to postpone it for 6 months. Every other sport’s champ who can’t defend loses

Soodanim

Gold Member
Too many classes. But you’ll never get rid of it because the more classes and belts there are the more fighters and money.

it should really be one belt, but since there are so many fighters it would be impossible to coordinate title defences.

some reason fighters only fight about twice a year, with many main fighters once a year when they get good.

Champs should be defending belts every quarter and if they are sick or injured, you lose it if you can’t fight.

the only sports in the world where if you can’t play that day you get to postpone it for 6 months. Every other sport’s champ who can’t defend loses
There’s so much nonsense and politics in popular sports. Way too much money in the whole thing, too. It takes over and the sport becomes secondary.

Boxing? Just get in the ring and have a fucking fight.

Football? Full of diving and going down like a pansy, just get up and play the fucking game. At least there’s still heart in the lower leagues.

nkarafo

Eh, heavier fighters hit harder. Sure, lighter fighters could be faster but they can't hit as hard so they can't KO as easily. It's not like a video game where a little girl character can KO Zangief or something.

It wouldn't be fair.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
weight classes sends the wrong messag to people and future fighters

understand that it’s not about the size of the fighter but the size of the fight in the fighter?

Why just weight ? What about height ?
A giant of a man should fight a much smaller one heck even a dwarf and as long as the smaller fighter is aggressive enough by you admission. you will sanction this fight ?

What about age ?
A prime aged person should be allowed to fight the elderly so long as the older person is ornery enough?

Or if you had an aggressive toddler past their nap time you would have them fight Brock Lesnar?!,

Where would it end ?
Vegas wouldn’t like the odds.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Why just weight ? What about height ?
A giant of a man should fight a much smaller one heck even a dwarf and as long as the smaller fighter is aggressive enough by you admission. you will sanction this fight ?
Taller people are usually heavier as well so it counts as weight. Unless they are stick-men which means they can be weaker so it balances out VS a shorter opponent at the same weight.

Romulus

The problem is many big guys now have endurance and speed. Size absolutely fucking matters rhen. And when you're dealing with someone that can go 5 rounds easy and sling 220lbs around like its nothing.... and you only weigh 170lbs? Lol. Someone who's used to taking punches from 250lbs+ monsters? Good luck.

Last edited:

nkarafo

From my personal experience as a lighter dude wrestling with a heavy friend every now and then for fun, there is nothing more endurance crushing than trying to take down someone who is heavier than you. Especially if there is a pretty big difference (i'm 78 kg, he is 120). Doesn't matter how athletic you are, or how un-athletic and fat the big dude is. You are going to be out of breath sooner than him.

Dacon

Banned
The only way to really close the gap caused by weight classes in a fight is to resort to fighting techniques that would more than likely kill someone, and that is not something anyone wants in competitive sports.

MrS

Banned
Too dangerous. Imagine Mike Tyson in his pomp punching Floyd in the mouth. There would be funerals.

understand that it’s not about the size of the fighter but the size of the fight in the fighter?
You’re not serious right? Either that or you’ve never been in any kind of competitive physical sport.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Use to be that way. But now everyone has similar training so you won't see a small but fast kicking fighter take out a big wrestler.

Maybe they could go to a height based system, that way fighters won't have to cut so severely and but themselves at risk that way and you shouldn't have too large a disparity in fighter sizes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Reality meets platitude - reality always wins.
It would work if you allowed guns or swords, the fights would be over pretty quick, but that is how they used to do a duel back in the day.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Yes. But is should not just be weightless.
Make it a completely OPEN class.
Anything goes. Enhancements, Steroids, PHP, Combat Drugs, Experimental Surgery ....

I would watch it.

You should check out the openweight Grand Prix tournaments Pride did in 2000 and 2006. Openweight and the contracts specified they didn't test for steroids.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When you think of WWE you think of no weight class people don’t give the Shawn Michaels vs 7ft undertaker or Rey vs 6ft 5 Rollins matches credit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its been tried, and every open-weight tournament I've ever seen has been the drizzling shits. David only beat Goliath because he had a slingshot, and otherwise the rule of physics and natural law ensures that the bigger, heavier, stronger combatant wins 99 times out of 100.

Dr_Salt

There used to be an open weight class in Pride FC. They should bring that back but they won't because its no good for business. Alot of superstars like Sakuraba were burn out fast because of it.

You do realize that the terms like, "heart of a fighter/warrior", were coined from actual real life fights and battles right? Any sport these days is going to have a specific set of rules that you have to follow that greatly tone down the risk in fighting and greatly extend the fight.

I could definitely take down dudes bigger than me... if it where no holds barred. But then, people would die at worst and get lifelong career ending injuries at best. Quickly.

Something tells me you don't or haven't ever fought.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You do realize that the terms like, "heart of a fighter/warrior", were coined from actual real life fights and battles right? Any sport these days are going to have a specific set of rules that you have to follow that greatly tone down the risk in fighting and greatly extend the fight.

I could definitely take down dudes bigger than me... if it where no holds barred. But then, people would die at worst and get lifelong career ending injuries at best. Quickly.

Something tells me you don't or haven't ever fought.

Go watch Ernesto Hoost vs Bob Sapp. Its entertaining but a total shit-show.

highrider

Banned
You’d have people dying pretty often in the ring. Smaller people have smaller bones and bone density, there’s always exceptions but a heavyweight punch is a whole different thing.

Pride FC was a Japanese MMA organization that had a lot of "openweight" fights where people could fight any opponent regardless of size.

Super Mario

Banned
Boxing definitely has too many weight classes. MMA is fine though.

The amount of weight classes are ridiculous. I don't think a 125 lb man should fight a 200 lb man, but should be able to fight someone who is 135

title boutnon-title bout
Weight classUpper weight limit
Strawweight115 lb (52.2 kg)116 lb (52.6 kg)
Flyweight125 lb (56.7 kg)126 lb (57.2 kg)
Bantamweight135 lb (61.2 kg)136 lb (61.7 kg)
Featherweight145 lb (65.8 kg)146 lb (66.2 kg)
Lightweight155 lb (70.3 kg)156 lb (70.8 kg)
Super lightweight165 lb (74.8 kg)166 lb (75.3 kg)
Welterweight170 lb (77.1 kg)171 lb (77.6 kg)
Super welterweight175 lb (79.4 kg)176 lb (79.8 kg)
Middleweight185 lb (83.9 kg)186 lb (84.4 kg)
Super middleweight195 lb (88.5 kg)196 lb (88.9 kg)
Light heavyweight205 lb (93.0 kg)206 lb (93.4 kg)
Cruiserweight225 lb (102.1 kg)226 lb (102.5 kg)
Heavyweight265 lb (120.2 kg)266 lb (120.7 kg)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You’d have people dying pretty often in the ring. Smaller people have smaller bones and bone density, there’s always exceptions but a heavyweight punch is a whole different thing.

Its not so much that as its not really a recipe for good competition and entertaining fights. When there's a huge height/reach/weight disparity it affects the gameplan employed by both fighters.

Circus fights inevitably are more fun on paper than they are as actual competitive bouts.

Top Bottom