• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 40% of US adults are obese, government survey finds

cryptoadam

Banned

About 4 in 10 American adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 10 is severely so, government researchers said Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention findings come from a 2017-18 health survey that measures height and weight. More than 5,000 U.S. adults took part.

The survey found that the obesity rate was 42% — higher than the 40% found in a similar 2015-16 study. The severe obesity rate was more than 9% in the new survey, up from the 8% figure in the previous one.

Those increases aren’t considered statistically significant: The survey numbers are small enough that there’s a mathematical chance the rates didn’t truly rise.

Come on USA you aren't far from the WALL-E future.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sounds about right. I think the prevailing statistic for the last decade was ~70% overweight, ~40% obese. Not in the least bit surprised to see that number increase slightly.

Cut out the sugar. It's included as a flavoring + preservative in nearly all of our packaged food, especially low-fat/no-fat stuff. It absolutely wrecks an adult's metabolism. Extremely addictive on a physiological level, too, and it has the adverse affect of stimulating the hunger sensation, even if you have a full belly.

lock2k

Banned

About 4 in 10 American adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 10 is severely so, government researchers said Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention findings come from a 2017-18 health survey that measures height and weight. More than 5,000 U.S. adults took part.

The survey found that the obesity rate was 42% — higher than the 40% found in a similar 2015-16 study. The severe obesity rate was more than 9% in the new survey, up from the 8% figure in the previous one.

Those increases aren’t considered statistically significant: The survey numbers are small enough that there’s a mathematical chance the rates didn’t truly rise.

Come on USA you aren't far from the WALL-E future.

And this is why this body positivity bullshit exists.

I think that we, as a society, can do better.

That is, we can get that percentage even higher. 40% is rookie numbers, come on homies. We live in the most "privileged" country in the entire world. Let's act like it and get our daily Thanksgiving on.

Last edited:
My weight has got out of control. I’ve been doing cardio on my treadmill, but only about 30 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but it’s more exercise than I’m used to getting. I want to increase the time gradually. Any weight loss tips? I drink a lot of soda, but I can’t seem to kick the sugary drinks for some reason. I think that’s my primary source of weight gain.

lock2k

Banned
My weight has got out of control. I’ve been doing cardio on my treadmill, but only about 30 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but it’s more exercise than I’m used to getting. I want to increase the time gradually. Any weight loss tips? I drink a lot of soda, but I can’t seem to kick the sugary drinks for some reason. I think that’s my primary source of weight gain.

Try to start drinking stuff without sugar (like coffee, tea, etc). Not stuff emulating sugar. Actual drinks without sugar.

You won't stand sugar after you're used to them.

What’s easily accessible in stores to pick up like soda is that isn’t full of sugar? I find myself going back to it because of the convenience. It’s so easy to grab some 2 liters, a 15 pack, etc. I guess I should just get some water. Lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What’s easily accessible in stores to pick up like soda is that isn’t full of sugar? I find myself going back to it because of the convenience. It’s so easy to grab some 2 liters, a 15 pack, etc. I guess I should just get some water. Lol.
Get a water filter and drink tap water (assuming the area you live in has safe enough tap water).

Buy generic carbonated water on sale at the store if you miss the fizzyness and drink that occasionally too.

Drink a lot of water every day. Just enough so that your pee turns from yellow to clear, but don't overdo it.

Drink more water

freak of nature

Neo Member
We live in a time where you can be both poor, and fat.

ironic.jpg

Last edited:
My water tastes like shit, but maybe a filter would work. I hate carbonated water, though. Shit is nasty. I’ll probably just pick up some 24 packs of bottled water and some of those flavor packs.

dilbag

Some of my co workers are huge, have to be pushing close to 300lbs. Every morning they have Starbucks and then they eat fast food every day for lunch. They also complain that they cant lose weight.

I just wonder how they can afford it lol

30 minutes of exercise a day is great my man.

Gargus

Banned
Who gives a shit. I certainly don't care about a bunch of people I don't know nor will I ever know. If they are happy how they are then what does it matter to me? We will be dead one day so in the end what's it matter if someone is fat or skinny?

Also the idea fat equals unhealthy is wholey incorrect. A obese person who exercises moderately is in general better health than a skinny person who does not. And skinny people are not immune to health problems controllable and uncontrollable.

People are allowed to eat and drink anything they want. It's a freedom of choice we all get to use whether you choose to eater sugar all day or kale you get to decide. I like shit that's bad for you and one day I'll be dead so who gives a fuck. Just like all the people who eat organic vegan diets and so on will be dead also.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
In contrast, I can never get fat no matter what. I was born to be skinny. This actually left some of my friend's envious, because I used to be able to eat anything I wanted without a worry, while they watched resigned.

Things kind of started to change lately, though, but only with my belly. Which has put me in a weird situation of having a round belly in an otherwise skinny body.

But if it weren't for my metabolism, I'm sure I would have been fatter than fat. There's just too much sugar in everything out there. Wanna grab a drink? Some cookies? Perhaps a pizza, or eat a tasty yoghurt. There'll be sugar in every one of them.

Super Mario Super Mario talked about how wrong it is the notion that "it's cheaper to get junk food vs healthier food", but I only partially agree. There's so much tasty, attractive stuff at the mall that is generally healthier than cheaper food. Sure, you can buy some fruits, some vegetables, put yourself into a healthy and budget diet, but your inner temptation for tasty, easy-to-consume snacks will always be there, and a person with more money will always have the privilege of picking better of that stuff that is less reliant on added sugars to be tasty and still satisfy their needs for something sweet.

I know that because I've been in that situation recently. Now that I've been getting some extra payment, eating healthy without worrying about my wallet has become just so much easier and more addicting. And I'll willing to continue to pay for this quality of life, as long as I afford it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

If you are used to it, then get a soda with a sugar substitute, like Coke Zero. Then cut out sugar from the rest of your meals. Ideally you'd cut out soda but if it's too tough you won't keep it up, so just get zero calorie stuff.

Minimize cheese, bread, rice and sauces as well.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I've observed that most people who are fat are so because they're lazy.
The majority are also poor parents with poorly behaved children.

If you are used to it, then get a soda with a sugar substitute, like Coke Zero. Then cut out sugar from the rest of your meals. Ideally you'd cut out soda but if it's too tough you won't keep it up, so just get zero calorie stuff.

Minimize cheese, bread, rice and sauces as well.

I have to have sauces, bruh.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I've observed that most people who are fat are so because they're lazy.
The majority are also poor parents with poorly behaved children.

But isn't that also because that's the American lifestyle? Whenever I go visit family there, walking anywhere in this small city is an alien concept, even to something that is about a kilometre away. People just hop on their cars and trucks and go to places. Then everything is full of sugar and portions are huge. So, people are encouraged to be lazy fatasses. It's still their fault, but you need to be very determined to not fall in the fat trap.

I lost a lot of weight during the summer when I go and help my brother out on construction.. scorching heat all day from 7am till 7pm. Dang, It's a hell of a work out but during the winter gain like 25 pounds extra

eot

Banned
30 minutes per day is probably more than most people, but there's some truth to the statement that you don't lose weight through exercise but rather through your eating habits. For sweet stuff I honestly think going cold turkey is the best option. You'd be surprised how off-putting soda tastes once you've weaned yourself off it. Someone else recommended tea, and I agree (if you like it). Hot drinks reduce your hunger too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome.

On Monday I'll remind my buddy at work who is roughly the same weight I am, but he's ripped. I'm flab.

Hey..... guess what man? You and both have a similar BMI and both obese.

Top Bottom