• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute worst music in a game?

rhandino

Banned
Tales of Graces - Lying in the Darkness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo_-5MyI84
The memories!!! They are coming back!!1!!

UtJHy9T.gif

I will never, EVER forget this mess... most of the music in Graces F was generic as all hell but god, how could they approve this!? Eugh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy shit, the song in the OP is ear syphilis. Uuuugh.
OP, that song is amazing. Are you one of those weird people that also hates the Xenoblade X Battle Theme?
Oh shit on that.

I can deal with bland and boring music, even if I'd rather have good music, in a game. But such obnoxious music would ruin any chance of me even spending a minute playing this. Especially if they're commonly heard tracks. Nope. Nope. Oh, I also refuse to play Bayonetta 2 for the same reason. The music from the demo made sure I would never want to touch this game (I also didn't like the gameplay anyway so I don't care).

The worst part? Those songs would probably be totally fine without the vocals. They're utterly ruined by it.

Also, this is DmC: the thread. *shudders*

Honestly I thought Maiden Astraea from DeS had awful music
.........Wat

Is this sarcasm? That's the second best track of the DeS OST after One Who Craves Souls ("bad" ending credits theme).

The music when the guitar comes in on the Dragon's Dogma menu music makes my ears bleed. The vocals a few seconds later then want me to claw my eyes out.
Yeah, luckily they took it out in Dark Arisen and replaced it with something less annoying. It still sucked when you heard that kinda lame song for the
Daimon
fight though. Not a really bad song but it doesn't fit, at all.

s_mirage

Snatcher for the Playstation/Saturn. Particularly the Saturn, although there's not that much in it. Not ear splittingly bad like other suggestions, but a remix that's one of the most horrible butcheries of an excellent soundtrack to ever take place. Not absolutely horrid in isolation, but they took distinct and memorable themes and replaced them with sonic wallpaper. I'm shocked that the soundtrack was allowed to be released, but not so shocked that I can't find many traces of the guy responsible for it.

Comparisons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVlfpTG_dUQ&list=PL5D5DFB6568C4556D

I didn't mind it but I remember Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance getting absolutely slammed for its soundtrack.

Probably for good reason. A somewhat experimental, discordant soundtrack that was saddled with absolutely horrid sound quality to boot.

lazygecko

Probably for good reason. A somewhat experimental, discordant soundtrack that was saddled with absolutely horrid sound quality to boot.

I never really understood the latter complaints. The instruments were simplistic, but it's not like they were really that much different from the very lo-fi, super tinny samples that were otherwise heard on the system. The fuzzy, low quality output of the GBA kind of acted as the great equalizer on top of that.

I can't stand "anime music" or whatever it's called. Bland orchestral music with choir vocals or cheery pop with synth/guitar and a high pitched singer that sounds always the same. JRPGs, souls games etc. Some arcade car racers also had these crappy jingles. Always turned it off.

What is this nonsense? I don't even...

s_mirage

I never really understood the latter complaints. The instruments were simplistic, but it's not like they were really that much different from the very lo-fi, super tinny samples that were otherwise heard on the system. The fuzzy, low quality output of the GBA kind of acted as the great equalizer on top of that.

Regardless of my opinion of the overall composition, higher fidelity instruments would allow for greater variety and subtlety in the timbres used. Something that this particular soundtrack needed IMO. I personally found the sounds used to be harsh and grating and, when combined when the lack of a strong melodic core in a lot of the songs, that helped to make it a rather unpleasant listen.

I freaking love Yoshi's New Island music. Yeah, it doesn't sound the greatest, but it sounds like music yoshis would actually make. It just makes me think of a bunch of simple-minded yoshis running around with kazoos. I can't even handle it, cute overload.

Exactly the headspace I was in while listening to certain tracks. Absolutely love the soundtrack. Fuck the haters.

Head.spawn

The song really is, the vocals, not so much.

And I really like Sawano too, but this one was kinda ruined by the vocals. Completely unnecessary :C

Can you link the other versions?

It sounds like a hiphop 'law and order 2099' theme song or something, lol.

beef3483

After all that was said about XCX's soundtrack, I was nervous because soundtrack's are really important to me, but I actually like it, especially the one in the OP. It is very unique compared with a lot of videogame soundtracks.

The only part I don't care for is when the rapping/singing starts in certain battle themes.

Though, I'm still in Primordia, so I may change my mind.

Zanlee

haha the New LA music is such a mystery for me .. the whole sound track is amazing but the main hub songs ... nop. Have you guys ever played the ring on dreamcast though? worst music ever!!

I don't think I've played a game where I thought the music was just bad.

Except for Into The Nexus.... Some tracks are good, most are bleh, and some are just loud, obnoxious, random blaring. I'm pretty sure that's he only game that made me turn the music volume down.

Why would they make such an awesome song and then take a giant dump all over it? The Uh Yeah takes that song from a 9/10 to a 3/10.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I play Xenoblade Chronicles X atm and...
UH YEAH YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_N7WgxEoI8

And this plays in the main hub of the game :D I really like most of the soundtrack but that one stands out for me.
So short, repetitive and horrible "lyrics" .

This is not by any means the worst I have ever heard but it's the most recent one that comes into my mind.

You include this song to kick off a worst music in games thread? lol Not even close meng, try again.

jwhit28

Was there ever an excuse given on why the Resident Evil music was changed the way it was? I mean in the original the Basement music makes it the scariest place in the game. I like to imagine that before the dual shock version some playtester data said that the basement was too scary and they needed to change it so they made it something comical.

Anyway my vote for worse goes to a song from a SNES Street Fighter clone called Doomsday Warriors. The song sounds like a car alarm going off. The game was trash but it had an RPG like attribute system that you used while playing through the single player ladder.

I play Xenoblade Chronicles X atm and...
UH YEAH YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_N7WgxEoI8

And this plays in the main hub of the game :D I really like most of the soundtrack but that one stands out for me.
So short, repetitive and horrible "lyrics" .

This is not by any means the worst I have ever heard but it's the most recent one that comes into my mind.

I love it. You just put the OST for this game on my radar.

On-Topic: RE1 Director's Cut. It's astoundingly bad.

Top Bottom