• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Odyssey free on game pass now

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'm surprised by people saying it's way better than Odyssey.
it's rose-tinted glasses.
I enjoyed it too the first time I played through it, it was the first of the new style and the setting was cool, but going back to it is just so jarring gameplay wise.

Folks who will play this game for the first time.

Don't sleep on the season pass. This game adds a ton of new lore in the expansions.

Agreed.

I haven't been a big fan of recent AC games but Odyssey was spectacular, I chose to play as Kassandra on both of my playthroughs and I don't regret it.

The expansions are also excellent, the environmental and audio design in Elysium and Atlantis is breathtaking.

One of my favourite games along with the DLC's in recent years next to the Witcher 3. Never thought I'd say that about an AC game in 2022 lol

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Such a good game that I put SOOOO many hours into playing. Absolutely loved it and it's my favorite of the AC WRPGs. I'm team Kassandra too. I wanted to be Team Deimos because he was really hot looking, but I heard his voice actor was terrible and after watching a couple of trailers I had to agree he WAS terrible. Kassandra turned out to be one of my favorite video game characters ever 2nd only to Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Play as a female spartan brehs

share discover GIF

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Folks who will play this game for the first time.

Don't sleep on the season pass. This game adds a ton of new lore in the expansions.

I bought the Season Pass on sale. After putting in over 150 hours in the main game I still didn't want it to end it was so good, so I was glad I bought it. The 2 expansions were outstanding. They are longer, with more content, better gameplay and much better stories than most of Sony's much loved 3rd person cinematic adventures. The Fate of Atlantis was especially good. It was like getting 2 really good games for $20 - best deal in gaming. :messenger_beaming:

Lognor

Banned
I had fun with the game until it basically made it so I could not progress without grinding out some side quests. Then i dropped it. Real shame since I was enjoying the story and overall experience.
Ahh that's the shame. That's how origins was. I did finish it but you can't really skip the bloat because of the leveling needed for later main missions.

manfestival

Ahh that's the shame. That's how origins was. I did finish it but you can't really skip the bloat because of the leveling needed for later main missions.
Yeah I absolutely hate this model by Ubisoft. It seems to be the main thing to expect from all of their games nowadays. I am currently enjoying a bit of Immortals Fenyx Rising but I am forced to do side content to become strong enough. There is no true linear path. Which is fine but I prefer when the game doesnt require it as much as ubisoft titles tend to. So much bloat to artificially extend the playtime of the games.

I liked Kassandra and I hope they bring her back but I've never been able to finish the game. It just never seems to end
Like a sucker I paid the $5 to earn double XP so i would rank up quick enough to just play the main quests and main sides, not have to worry about the filler shit added to all open world games. Money well spent if you ask me.

Lognor

Banned
Like a sucker I paid the $5 to earn double XP so i would rank up quick enough to just play the main quests and main sides, not have to worry about the filler shit added to all open world games. Money well spent if you ask me.
They actually offer that? Fuck ubisoft. They know this shit sucks and they charge you to bypass it. That makes me even less interested in playing other ac games

They actually offer that? Fuck ubisoft. They know this shit sucks and they charge you to bypass it. That makes me even less interested in playing other ac games
Yeah they actually do lmao. At first I was like "fuck these motherfuckers" but then reality hit that I have 3 kids and a full-time job, so if I want to actually beat this game I'll just pony up so I can avoid the filler.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-odyssey-lets-you-pay-for-permanent/1100-6462296/

Aion002

Great game for 30 hours or so... After that is just the same thing over and over again for like 100+ hours.

For anyone interested in buying the season pass, here is my advice: wait till you finish the main campaign, you might quit the game before finishing it, there's a lot of stuff to do on the base game.

Stuart360

Arguably my fave game of last gen. I dont think i would be exaggerating if i said i put over 600 hours into it and its dlc over multiple playthroughs, hell one of my full playthoughs including dlc took 247 hours!.

Most of the hate comes from the sheepish Ubisoft hate, but the games sales show the true picture.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, I'm sure; it's not game mechanic, it's an accessibility option.

Wait, was that something recent ? I don't recall seeing that in the game when I last played it.

I invested in the "hold button to increase assassination damage 300%" perk fist and foremost because of that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Wait, was that something recent ? I don't recall seeing that in the game when I last played it.

I invested in the "hold button to increase assassination damage 300%" perk fist and foremost because of that.
You know, y'all got me questioning if I'm misremembering...
Can't test it since I don't have it installed anymore, but what I do know for sure is that they added a weapon + perk that will guarantee an assassination for enemies your level or lower, regardless of assassin rating or gear.

Great News.
Odyssey and Valhalla are my favorite Assasins Creed games. I know im in the minority with that opinion, but for me the new AC direction fits way better than the original AC games.

supernova8

Banned
https://www.eurogamer.net/assassins-creed-odyssey-available-on-pc-and-xbox-game-pass-today

The reveal came during an unusually packed Tokyo Game Show livestream from Xbox, which also included Game Pass confirmations of the Ni No Kuni series, and an Xbox release date for Deathloop.

Odyssey is the Assassin's Creed game set in Ancient Greece, and its deepest dive into the RPG genre. It's a warm, enjoyable and expansive experience - and one of the highlights of the whole series.
Yeah I'm really glad Xbox did a proper (well-produced) livestream. Hopefully they take advantage of their strong (relative to previous Xbox generations) sales and gain a bit of mindshare.
The Japanese skit at the start definitely suggests that they're making a better effort (ie smarter) this time around.

It was great until Sarah Bond came on and starting being boring though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Same for me, but I can't go back to it anymore, valhalla just fixed so many issues/gripes, that odyssey and origins just feel like an insane step back to actually play overall; went back to odyssey for the crossover mission, and my rose tinted glasses just shattered, I was shocked by how much I actually missed all the improvements from valhalla.
Going back to origins was even worse, tried to play the xbox gamepass version for some easy gamerscore, but it's literally impossible to just to the main story, the level gating is so harsh, you'll just die in one hit if you don't do side missions.
...what improvements?

jm89

Folks how much is the ambassador salary?

Looking for a change in career, spamming neogaf threads with gamepass is something I can envisage a career in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know, y'all got me questioning if I'm misremembering...
Can't test it since I don't have it installed anymore, but what I do know for sure is that they added a weapon + perk that will guarantee an assassination for enemies your level or lower, regardless of assassin rating or gear.

I won't be surprised if its in Valhalla, but it's definitely not in Odyssey.

I haven't played Valhalla since its launch period when I first played it and sold it lol.

Top Bottom