• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC UNITY patch worsens NPC pop-in. Ubisoft actually puts in new spawning animation.

It's definitely not as big a deal as some people are making of it, especially if the performance is finally to an acceptable level, but c'mon. It's still pretty hilarious.

Maybe they should just put a big pair of bifocals on your character, blur everything further than 5 feet away and say that they're near-sighted.

merrickxx

Neo Member
I may be late here, but why on earth have a turned on my Xbox One to find a 39GB patch for ACU waiting for me. And it does this shit I assume?

The patch notes said, vaguely, that there were changes made to Paris for performance. I imagine that there are changes made to the entire map, be it geometry and such, and the patch is such a large size due to the requirement of having to download the entirety of Paris, or the entire game map.

Wow, really, as if bugs improved in patches is something new. To patch a behemoth like this without introducing some new problems is virtually impossible.

The arrogance of those who can only complain but probably never created something themselves which is even close to this effort is really making me sad.

What the hell am I reading?

bargeparty

Not sure if this was brought up again, but did anyone find out or did they explain why the clothes change on NPCs in such close proximity? Doesn't make sense to me to have a character reload or change when it's already loaded.

Hmm I could've sworn it was like this since the last couple AC games.

Yeah, there were always NPC pop ins in AC games. But never this close to you, they'd always be far enough into the distance that they'd never break your run, in this case though they are poppin in a foot or two away from you, according to the gif at least.

Dawg

Loooool @ this bug

B5CM3uACcAIUffc.jpg:orig

Jburton

Banned
Will say again what I know, this game was so behind in dev time for PS4 that the closed beta to test network features only took place two weeks before release.

X1 beta had been ongoing off and on for months.

Decision to back X1 as lead platform based on last gen led to this scenario. Now they have an inferior product on the market leader and are trying to develop the title after release.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
So if I've never made a good post on Neogaf I shouldn't be able to complain about others' posts? Interesting...

Yeah I could never follow this train of thought. Sure, being a game developer would give one's criticism somewhat more weight or authority, but not being a dev does not prohibit criticism. I mean, I'm a shit cook but I can still tell if food is bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
The arrogance of those who can only complain but probably never created something themselves which is even close to this effort is really making me sad.

A For Effort: The Post

Pretty funny. They should add an in game explanation for framerate drops too. "The animus is struggling to keep up with how awesome you are!"

Remember when slowdowns were cool because it meant shit was getting real? Or when a boss is dying. (Actual slowdown, not framedrops)

scitek

Yeah I could never follow this train of thought. Sure, being a game developer would give one's criticism somewhat more weight or authority, but not being a dev does not prohibit criticism. I mean, I'm a shit cook but I can still tell if food is bad.

I've seen plenty of examples of well-programmed games to be confident this is a shitty one.

Offt that can't be real!!!

Its real, those that downloaded the digital version on Xbox One (remember all those bundle deals??) are having to download the patch AND the entire game. It is a bug. The developers have already responded, acknowledged it is real, and stated "we are working with Microsoft" to get this all straightened out and corrected!

However, the developers also added that if you do go ahead and complete the entire download of the game, again, that you will be getting the latest fully updated version.

maybe you guys that picked this game up at launched have learnt a lesson?

you paid for an unfinished game and this shows the decelopers and publishers that they can get away with launching unfinished games and still make a fortune on it.

Next time be smart and DONT SUPPORT SHITTY GAMES FROM SHITTY DEVELOPERS!

eso76

eh, i think a spawning animation is still better than abrupt pop up.

I always dreamed of making a game where objects and characters pop up is accompanied by an appropriate *pop!* sound effect

Xpliskin

Wow, really, as if bugs improved in patches is something new. To patch a behemoth like this without introducing some new problems is virtually impossible.

The arrogance of this post is making me sad.

Unity is just a case study of bad software engineering and management, which resulted in a lower quality product marketed as something else.

Saying virtually impossible tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.

There are far more massive systems out there than a 3d open world game, running better and patched correctly. GTA V also says hi.

Will say again what I know, this game was so behind in dev time for PS4 that the closed beta to test network features only took place two weeks before release.

Decision to back X1 as lead platform based on last gen led to this scenario. Now they have an inferior product on the market leader and are trying to develop the title after release.

I did not know this.

Very interesting...I wonder if decisions made from last gen can be changed as the new gen shapes.

Perhaps there's some sort of clause in place?

Still, to be so behind on beta testing for one platform regardless of its position is pretty poor management.

Thanks for the post Jburt

Ascenion

Based on last gen? Hadn't they been using the PS3 as the lead platform since ACB/R/3? That's what I had heard and marketing seemed (til now) to back that idea.

spookyfish

I hope you feel better soon.

Tried the patch on PS4 for about 30 minutes this morning, it immediately felt much, much smoother than before. I hope its not placebo or I'll look foolish, but it really feels different.

Have to say I did a mission and didn't notice the popin being any worse. I also walked down the street at one point looking for it, and it looked the same as before to me.

The IQ overall seems a bit fuzzier or blurrier. Its not a huge different, but I suspect they toned down some settings, possible reduced some texture detail here or there. I might be wrong though, they could have just altered the form of AA they are using. I want to say that in looks a bit smoother in terms of AA now. Maybe a more agressive post process solution.

All in all the game seems finally to a point where its playable for me. Its been on the shelf since release week due to performance, but now its finally where it should have been at release.

They added in an effect to make it look like an Animus glitch? Ahahahahahahaha

this reminds me of a story I heard years ago on a gaming podcast when they were talking about old pc games and there was this game that always gave an error message with an "ok" button to close it after closing/quitting the game, the game programmers couldn't figure out what the error was or how to prevent that window from popping up after closing the game so at the end they just edited the text of the error message and changed it to "thank you for playing the game". This is Ubisoft's version of that

molnizzle

Despite all this nonsense plenty of people are still happy to reward Ubisoft's incompetence by buying their games.

You guys aren't exactly sending the message that this bothers you.

Top Bottom