• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Ovech-King

Gold Member
The PS5 version is really good looking . Between 1440p and 2160p at 60 fps on my Sony x950 and it's really like playing a PC 3 times more expensive. The kicker is the controller that adapts the buttons feedback with the weight of your weapons when you attacks . Its hard to explain but feel the difference when you press R1 or R2 with a 1 hand weapon vs a 2 hands weapon and it's pretty cool honestly .

Last edited:

Neil Young

About 7 hours in playing on One X. I'm a huge fan of the previous two. I like it so far. It looks great and I really like what they did with the side quests. They make them feel that they happen spontaneously, not like a ? on a map you have to complete. The exploration is awesome so far. Not everything is marked on the map and you will find little secrets here and there. The combat IS a bit off. It looks like your character is swinging for the fences but hits the enemy with a wiffle ball bat. I wish the attacks carried more weight. So far I like how they decreased the amount of loot as it makes the loot you find feel more valuable. Fans of these new Creed games should like it.

Mossybrew

I wondered the same thing about the nudists. If youre gonna have a nudity toggle in your game and a bunch of nudists arent actually naked wtf is the point? I guess the same logic that you cant replenish your food from the copious amounts of produce just sitting around but instead have to forage for berries or find the random steaming pot.

Last edited:

Denton

Nudists not being nude...yeah that's Ubisoft for ya.

Also I hate the default controls so much. Remapped it so RT is for climbing and X,Y for combat. Idiotic that they did not include proper preset for it.

WakeTheWolf

I really like it but I'll echo what another GAFer said. The side quests are written so poorly and every one of them is a joke. Like all of them are comedy related. You'd think this is a Viking sitcom. I just can't wait to get to my hometown to be honest I can see it on the map.

is male Eivor shorter than female Eivor? I play as male and he's shorter than most characters and someone told me female Eivor is taller than most npcs.

and what the fuck is this shit

n3xugPo.jpg
Ah hahaha, no way. Is that really a thing? Did they actually make the male character shorter than the female?

I’m still playing Odyssey (was super late on it, haven’t been playing since the start lol) but you malakas are making me wish I was done.

That said, I’m really enjoying Odyssey, so if this is actually better I might not even wait for a big sale as I would usually...

mitchman

Gold Member
Fun fact: Norwegian vikings were not the ones who went to England.. The danish vikings though, they raped and plundered England, while high on mushrooms. But Denmark does not have mountains, so I can see why Ubisoft changed some historical facts for their game.
Yeah, although I'm sure a few dipped their toes into England, it was mostly the continent and Iceland/Greenland/US for the Norwegian vikings. Speaking of which, Avaldsnes is in the game, and it was a central location for vikings in Norway: https://www.lifeinnorway.net/avaldsnes-vikings/

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Paperboy

Do you still get all the resources yeah?

You can loot the chests as long as they don't need two men to open, like Xrnzaaas said. I don't know if there's more rewards to get.

This is a case of making it harder on yourself on purpose, because you gain nothing by going in alone on raids. Plus you still have to call your crew eventually since heavy doors and big containers need 2 people.

It becomes a completely different game, and more like a real Assassin's Creed, if you use stealth instead of raiding a settlement. You can raid the place when there's only a few soldiers left to get the locked loot.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Do you still get all the resources yeah? Also if anyone has prime dont forget to link for some swag

The Carolingian armor being offered here is much better than anything I have, and while it looks nice in its own right, it's making me miss the transmog option. I'm a Viking dammit, I don't want to look like a Roman soldier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game has really grown on me, especially after I increased the combat difficulty. I just finished the first main storyline in England. The writing and characters are quite good in this and certainly better than just about anything in Odyssey. Maybe it's just because everything feels a little bit less ridiculous.

niilokin

I really like it but I'll echo what another GAFer said. The side quests are written so poorly and every one of them is a joke. Like all of them are comedy related. You'd think this is a Viking sitcom. I just can't wait to get to my hometown to be honest I can see it on the map.

some have been quite good IMO but agree the writing is mostly bad and at times really cringy. I'm fine with lighthearted stuff, makes me think of Fable a bit, but the quality of these is not consistent at all, it's really weird.

cormack12

Gold Member
The Carolingian armor being offered here is much better than anything I have, and while it looks nice in its own right, it's making me miss the transmog option. I'm a Viking dammit, I don't want to look like a Roman soldier.

Yeah they all have three rune slots and the spear is fucking epic.

Question: I'm sure it said you could two hand a weapon but still have an off hand as well, or use a 2H in your off hand for some weapons. Is that an unlockable skill in the Bear path or something. Because I can only have the spear equipped (2H)

MastAndo

Gold Member
Yeah they all have three rune slots and the spear is fucking epic.

Question: I'm sure it said you could two hand a weapon but still have an off hand as well, or use a 2H in your off hand for some weapons. Is that an unlockable skill in the Bear path or something. Because I can only have the spear equipped (2H)
The spear is definitely good and better than what I have, but after using it for a while, I didn't find it as fun as using a 1H axe in each hand.

Yeah, the Heavy Dual Wield skill is all the way on the left side of the bear path.

GinSama

I'm only 8 hours in, but it seems like side stuff doesn't even go into the quest log.
Yeah that looks like it.
Right know all the world events look like you need to do it straight away or else there’s no record on that.

most of them I like it and you can do it no problems.. others like one guy is selling stuff from your family like if you don’t kill him straight away eivor will just say “ he must be hidden in the town”

well thank you very much the town is quite big....

cormack12

Gold Member
Where d you upgrade the shipyard? Can't find the plaque - do I need to upgrade barracks first? I don't have the plaque here:

Hellmaker

The spear is definitely good and better than what I have, but after using it for a while, I didn't find it as fun as using a 1H axe in each hand.

Yeah, the Heavy Dual Wield skill is all the way on the left side of the bear path.
So can I then use a 2 handed sword in one arm and a shield in the other? It just feels so stupid because there is no 1 handed swords in the game...

Flintty

I made it to England and it looks even more glorious than Norway. The map is a slight disappointment in locational accuracy but happy to let they pass. I found Portchester Castle, which is a medieval castle near me in real life. Whilst not accurately represented Im glad they put it in. It’s a fascinating journey back in time, and really feels like I’m playing in old England!

Still loving the game - looking forward to improving my settlement!

MuyfVsN.jpg

8KM1ifn.jpg

Rikkori

HDR settings for fald LCDs: 4000 & 0.5

Don't listen to hdtvtest he's clueless when it comes to this. If he had gone further than 2 minutes into the game he'd see it too but calibrating around sun & snow is accurate for his equipment but doesn't translate well beyond that, especially in England.

Remember: use eyes & brain first and equipment second.

Flintty

I completed my first raid and I’m baffled as to why I get a desync warning when I kill civilians. For a game that sold itself in ‘fighting like a Viking’ this is a shitbag move. I will of course continue to push the ‘legal’ boundaries and kill civilians when the mood takes me.

lefty1117

Gold Member
This game is really impressing me more and more as I get farther into it, start unlocking building and discovering the activities. Juts a ton of optional content to engage in if you want; none of it feels like must-have but so much of it is just fun to do. Even the dice game is fantastic. Very impressed.

Kinda wish I had gotten this instead of Godfall.

I completed my first raid and I’m baffled as to why I get a desync warning when I kill civilians. For a game that sold itself in ‘fighting like a Viking’ this is a shitbag move. I will of course continue to push the ‘legal’ boundaries and kill civilians when the mood takes me.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm just about to start the game after finally getting my XBox Series X. :)

I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since part 2. Not that it matters really, but I'm still curious...does the game have any romance element to it?

cormack12

Gold Member

I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since part 2. Not that it matters really, but I'm still curious...does the game have any romance element to it?

Similar to odyssey and dragon age. There are simple encounters where you just choose the suggestive option to have sex. Back at camp and storyline you can talk to people and soften them up with conversations and responses marked with a heart and eventually you might end up in a relationship

If it's anything like odyssey it'll be pretty much like this:
- Wanna fuck?
( ) Yes
( ) No

scalman

found interesting party..
suTnI6S.jpg

joined in
7oRc4pp.jpg

muhMcFs.jpg

PIuYAHR.jpg

then they walked away in group..
ne4hx7Y.jpg

me too
8Z8YPLm.jpg

over 30hrs in game for now all exploring until i go to next part of area so want now explore everything here. so only bout 17% game progress.

and of course i found best boys too
lkpBRnU.jpg

F7bmFFB.jpg

but anyway those are pretty good models for NPC's thats are thousands out there, walking , working , doing its stuff .

Last edited:

scalman

and its cool i never used it just found now after so many hrs that you can make not visiable armor and weapons though they will be active still . no need to like undress them, you can use part armor visiable ,part not just how you want to.
and those gore finish moves are so good looking , its hard to capture them though
im on power 76 now somehting like that. so still far to go on those more powerfull raids im too weak. once i made mistake go to some 300 power camp.. still stole goods .
oOEWand.jpg

im on maxed here on 1080p with gtx 1060, only volumetric clouds medium, so its nothing else to max there just raise resolution. happy that its still playable same as origins and odyssey where with gtx 1060. and its even takes less VRAM then Legion. better optimized engine i guess .

compared to oddysey , iplayed it so long and didint finished that after time i then didint wanted to play it anymore. this i still enjoy.. well for now.. looks good , very good , maybe not better , though i like how light from sky changes in dialogs scenes, like you start talk with someone and you see how lighting changes from sunny to cloudy or versa. i dont remember that effect in odyssey. snow is very good in this .
i like better here horse riding too vs odyssey, i duno all feel more like weightless and arcady in odyssey for me, here more slow and gives you ilusion that it has more weight to it, so i like it better .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really loving the two-handed sword. Has some serious impact that the axe I was using lacked. Some of these kill animations are absolutely brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably like half way through, maybe a bit further, just finished Lunden and this has to be the best AssCreed yet and it looks great ta times. The biggest downside graphically is late evening time with that brown all over overlay just ruins visuals very unnatural looking.

Paperboy

The less useful bird this time around gives a nice tension when clearing out a settlement. It was overpowered in the prevoius games, and we got the predator bow back so it's all good! I just wish they would mark the fortresses that will play a part in the main story to minimise the risk of having to redo them.

And the game needs to be more clear about certain things, like the stats of the weapons before you buy them, previews of the cosmetic stuff and letting us know the level of the zealots without having to be chased by one of them.

Dibils2k

after leaving the snowy place this game looks magnificent (snow is nice and all, but the white gets boring quick) and i am loving it

i like how there are no side missions, just stories around the open world. million times better than just getting missions off a board or loads of people in home base! and the fact they are never too long and some require true exploration

scalman

those 2 move finishes , leg and head , cut cut
odHj4je.jpg

or that
I4UOvLw.jpg

or
wtIhIEG.jpg

AmtxpMY.jpg

but its so good, take some long sword , its so heavy to swing but hits so hard and even pushes enemies back even with large shields, when 2 axes are great for cuting trough but not pushing much impact t here. its nice to try those weapons and enjoy them

about some earlier side quest, anyone else found those 2 brothers who where like fighting over silo... so you go and burn silo , so they will be ok again .. yes but with that you burn both them houses ... now everyone outside kids too and crying on ground ... well you tried your best i guess ,, time to leave lol
2is745T.jpg

nothing to see here .. moving on , now they not fighting anymore , result.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We need a mod that lets you murder civilians. Sparing the priests during raids is just ridiculous.

scalman

Never had problems on raids i kinda aim for soldiers and not runing in room blindly swinging blades. Its good that you cant kill civs makes you more aim and wait maybe until civs run away

Top Bottom