• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

GymWolf

I find hand-to-hand combat in newer AC as lame as in the old ones. It's just something that is not as important as the setting and story for me.
It's far from a great combat system but for me it's still better than the old ones.

Yeah, i guess not everyone care about good combat in a game like this, but it's not a secondary or tertiary part of the game, you fight a lot in ac games so the combat for me has to becat least decent.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's far from a great combat system but for me it's still better than the old ones.

Yeah, i guess not everyone care about good combat in a game like this, but it's not a secondary or tertiary part of the game, you fight a lot in ac games so the combat for me has to becat least decent.

Agreed 100%. I just can't go back to the easy "timing" mode combat. And Witcher 3 and RDR2 are worse.

You definitely fight way more in the newer titles. In the old ones you fight mostly because you screwed up stealth. My strategy is to berserker-dart fools from a distance as much as I can. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Agreed 100%. I just can't go back to the easy "timing" mode combat. And Witcher 3 and RDR2 are worse.
Yeah w3 is worse but you have magic and potions to shake things up a bit at least.

Rdr2 has shitty aim\cover and enemies are retarded but i still love how meaty it is, euphoria engine does the heavy lifting during gunfights to make everything weighty and believable, animations in valhalla are amateur hour compared to rdr2, also tps against a melee game not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You definitely fight way more in the newer titles. In the old ones you fight mostly because you screwed up stealth. My strategy is to berserker-dart fools from a distance as much as I can. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The fact is, i really never liked the stealth that much either, it was always pretty simple and not really engaging for me.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah w3 is worse but you have magic and potions to shake things up a bit at least.

Rdr2 has shitty aim\cover and enemies are retarded but i still love how meaty it is, euphoria engine does the heavy lifting during gunfights to make everything weighty and believable, animations in valhalla are amateur hour compared to rdr2, also tps against a melee game not really a fair comparison.

I wouldn't call their animations amateur at all. The swings have excellent follow through and the movement and dodging is pretty believable and smooth. Much better than some other animations done by hand like the Souls series.

GymWolf

I wouldn't call their animations amateur at all. The swings have excellent follow through and the movement and dodging is pretty believable and smooth. Much better than some other animations done by hand like the Souls series.
Compared to rdr2 most games have amateur hour animations, it's not something exclusive to ac games, it's just how much euphoria engine adds to a game in certain occasions.

Souls games have some bad animations yeah, especially older stuff like demons and ds1-2 but both bloodborne and sekiro have better animations than valhalla imo.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Compared to rdr2 most games have amateur hour animations, it's not something exclusive to ac games, it's just how much euphoria engine adds to a game in certain occasions.

Souls games have some bad animations yeah, especially older stuff like demons and ds1-2 but both bloodborne and sekiro have better animations than valhalla imo.

We'll have to disagree there..

GymWolf

I love the rushing attack with 2-hander and now found out there's a
sprint attack skill
:messenger_savoring:
You are not ready for the dash attack while using 2 2 handed axes...one hit kill on every minor enemy like archers and a shitton of damage to anyone else.

wvnative

On PS5, i think the game looks bad, occasional stutter, the combat feels realllllllllly jank, story bores me...

...yet there is SOMETHING about it, drawing me in, despite me thinking this is the worst ac game i've played. dunno what it is

GymWolf

Cloud shadows make the world feel alive and huge.
Black Flag to Origins to Valhalla is an incredible track record in world building. Now that Ashraf Ismail is gone I fear for the future games of this team.
Cloud shadows?? Do you mean the cloud setting on pc??

I have that on medium because i never look at clouds, does it change something on the ground too?!

VFXVeteran

Banned
Cloud shadows?? Do you mean the cloud setting on pc??

I have that on medium because i never look at clouds, does it change something on the ground too?!

Yes. When a cloud blocks the light from the sun, it will cast a shadow on the ground of the shape of the cloud. Definitely a required setting for added realism.

Paperboy

Well damn, i unlocked the grit skill and the skill that let you use 2 2 handed weapon at the same time and the game become super easy even on very hard, don't unlock this stuff if you still want some challenge.

There's always the possibility to not use heavy weapons if they feel overpowered with the Heavy Dual Wield skill and you can reset the skill tree anytime you want.

Nymphae

Banned
I watched some review the other day where the guy put in 67 hours, and couldn't access the last battle or whatever it is, the last guy you need to hunt down. I think he said the game told him he needed to accrue like another hundred levels before being able to move on to the conclusion, and he had already beaten most of the missions for XP.

Anyway it sounded like a nightmare, who enjoys this kind of structure?

GymWolf

There's always the possibility to not use heavy weapons if they feel overpowered with the Heavy Dual Wield skill and you can reset the skill tree anytime you want.
yeah i know but it's the most fun and impactful combo of weapons i have right now, and i love weighty combat, the moveset is pretty cool.

I had the same problem on days gone where the 50 cal sniper rifle was OP but also the most satysfing weapon in the game :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

are you people finding a lot of weapons or what? i still only have one dagger and one spear and not one greatsword...

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I watched some review the other day where the guy put in 67 hours, and couldn't access the last battle or whatever it is, the last guy you need to hunt down. I think he said the game told him he needed to accrue like another hundred levels before being able to move on to the conclusion, and he had already beaten most of the missions for XP.

Anyway it sounded like a nightmare, who enjoys this kind of structure?

Did he mainline or also do the mysteries, river raids and camps?

GymWolf

Yes. When a cloud blocks the light from the sun, it will cast a shadow on the ground of the shape of the cloud. Definitely a required setting for added realism.
oh, it's a shadow thing, i'm gonna try on high but i really don't care about these things usually if they steal even 1-2 frames.

Nymphae

Banned
Did he mainline or also do the mysteries, river raids and camps?

I forget, I want to say yes he said he completed most of the big XP earners, but I can't exactly recall what he said, the takeaway was he spent longer with the game than the notoriously sloggy odyssey and was literally giving up because of the grind required to simply finish the main story. He was talking about how he was enjoying it for 20 hours, texting other writers and friends to say as much, but then he was just utterly beaten down by the slog of the rest of the game 47 hours later with no clear path to the conclusion.

cormack12

Gold Member
I forget, I want to say yes he said he completed most of the big XP earners, but I can't exactly recall what he said, the takeaway was he spent longer with the game than the notoriously sloggy odyssey and was literally giving up because of the grind required to simply finish the main story. He was talking about how he was enjoying it for 20 hours, texting other writers and friends to say as much, but then he was just utterly beaten down by the slog of the rest of the game 47 hours later with no clear path to the conclusion.

Hmm, im doing between 30/50% of the side activities organically. I hope I don't end up in that boat. Only thing I can think is that he didn't do any of the zealots/order missions and ended up needing to do them all at the end

Nymphae

Banned
Hmm, im doing between 30/50% of the side activities organically. I hope I don't end up in that boat. Only thing I can think is that he didn't do any of the zealots/order missions and ended up needing to do them all at the end

This is the review

betrayal

Banned
Where do you get time slowdown? Is it a skill or a rune? The bows fire way too fast imo and the small quiver makes them moot. It's also really sensitive when zoomed in, there's no weight at all to the aiming. I like the 'cloak' mechanic but it's still too easy to be detected, and if you do then its all out chaos. I think after having played 25 hours now and doing some temples, camps and towns it's the encounter design. Sometimes it's superb but others it's shocking. Origins had more consistent encounters imo. The game looks beautiful though, really well done. The artstyle is really good.

The parkour is definitely shit though. The amount of times I've fucked something up beause he runs in a wild direction or failed a simple jump because you have to hold 'X' for small jumps instead of auto-running is substantial. It pisses me off because it's the thing they tweak every game and Origins and Odyssey both had a really solid balance. Here I feel I'm back to ACIII after seeing Black Flag also improve. Disappointing.

Its a skill and called "Focus of the Nornir". You can shoot like 5-6 arrows during slowmotion and you don't need ammo for this skill, but that's also the case for all other range skills which use the bow. You don't need ammo for skills, just one bar of adrenaline. One of the books for this skill is in Ledecestrescire somewhere next to a church or something like that. It's in the same are as your village (in the west).

GymWolf

Oh i forgot, the rallenty when you perfectly evade is pretty op too, very useful against bosses because it basically give you 2-3 free hits almost every time you evade with the right timing, i fucked up one of those knights who roam in the map thanks to that.

scalman

i still didint build fishing farm so i could fish myself for more fishes not just shoot them with arrows..
eDVlBRK.jpg

bad day with arrow
B1CfJCH.jpg

most times camera cant reach the guy who you shoot so just close distance works

muddy boy... they made some npc kids very good models rly , and not worse then yourself. good quality of everything rly around you
a5VwUcS.jpg

and think that its open world and very very large and all npc's have this level of detail is nuts. devs might have there some cool new npc generating engine.
and they all have so good eyes like life like ones, even when they die. creepy even.
Im on 42 hrs and just 23% so its gonna be long game for explorers specially.

about details.. some random NPC that do not even have dialog line
66mR31u.jpg

or other... look at those lively eyes
qyhFCYv.jpg

they just passing buy dont have anything to talk just walking and they this detailed all

n6Emxao.jpg

and in dialogs photo mode dont work so xbox app win+G works all times..
hZzx6TD.png

fps in game is way more av about 45 goes up to 60 in more empty areas. all that on just gtx 1060 laptop

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
The skill points are a nightmare, I can't see what options branch off where to plan a build.

If you put all your points into one tree you can see where it takes you then just reset and start again

Also, selecting shit with the down d-pad is terrible. The actual selection is too definite, it needs to be lighter. Selecting a torch shouldn't be this difficult especially when burning shit is such a big seller. And the torch throws are lame. The cloak seems pretty pointless as well when they cluster guards in 3/4's with the door behind them. Fall back to whistle and assassinate all the time.

But yeah aside from the niggles, I'm having fun with it in general

They really should have just kept the controls from origin.

One thing I hate is that the torches are so shit they were amazing in origins huge downgrade in Valhalla.

DeaDPo0L84

Hey every one, so I decided to give this another shot. I got to the very first raid that's essentially a tutorial. I have everything on ultra except for volumetric clouds and AA which are on both medium I believe.

I play on a 38" ultrawide and use a 3090fe, I seem to bounce between 70-85fps, does that seem right?

Edit: I'm at work currently but I think I almost maxed out the fov which I know can be pretty performance intensive, might reduce that a bit to see if it helps.

Last edited:

scalman

im sorry but witcher 3 no matter how good it is and it is i played it with all DLC's it dont have that level of detail or areas to explore and amaze and controls, witcher 3 its just pain there. i found its just on level with skills and abilitys and map and controls. i like it all on pc with ps4 controller just enjoying it. fights are just mastered , controls good and such.
for now iv kissed 2 womens and slept with them and enjoyed it fully. and there was one man but it was just for fun. lol
9x6KWDj.jpg

1WbP1sC.jpg

8CCnjy2.jpg

and it think iv done too much exploring before main missions as iv opened and cleaned now those areas that i just be going to in main missions .. so it was too much.. so dont do that if you want just more surprises. iv opened so much areas by exploring only that iv now passing those main missions so fast because iv done those places allready like alone .. lol but i do what i want
ZXAwaS4.png

And best part is that in living with this story for now so much im so into it, i dont remember names much from odyssey or origins but im fully now into this. This might be for now like one of best stories to play with great gameplay on it. Some have one or another its hard to have both.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So I killed the wolf and am going back and forth about this bridge builder. I don't have any quests back in England yet except the long running ones (find the order members, codex pages etc.)

Do I finish up Asgard - last time I went back my active quest went right back to drink the seers potion

Asgard has been tedious for me tbh. Don't really like it. England is where it's at.

SinDelta

Is the story as fun with Norse myth as Odins Sphere or God of War?

World and combat as good as Ghost of Tsushima?

/s

Not realistic expectations, I know.

As someone who did really enjoy Assassins Creed 2, Black Flag, and Origins, I'm hearing good stuff (fixes a lot of Odysseys bloat? and bad stuff about Valhalla (stuff that will hopefully be fixed by patches.)

Last edited:
Can someone confirm - If you buy the PS4 version of this will it automatically convert to the PS5 version through an update?

It's lots cheaper on the PS4 so seems like a no-brainer

BlueHawk357

So, I'm 50hrs in and now fed up with world events. I have just landed in
Asgard

Could I just do the quests, and then go back after beating the game to mop up the rest of the stuff on the map in
Asgard
? Thanks!

Last edited:

scalman

So, I'm 50hrs in and now fed up with world events. I have just landed in
Asgard

Could I just do the quests, and then go back after beating the game to mop up the rest of the stuff on the map in
Asgard
? Thanks!
yes you can

Last edited:

scalman

But there is problem when you overexplore everything clearing castles alone where later your main mission going to be and like hey i was there. So now i kinda not explore everything at least trying to not go into places where lots soldiers as later i might have there main mission . Power 132 now i can go for 160 power beast.

Paperboy

There should be a quick way to switch between the different bow types. When I'm stealthing my way through an outpost I want to use the Predator Bow and if it runs out of arrows I change to the Hunter Bow, but if I get caught the Light Bow is preferred. That's a lot of menu fiddling!

Last edited:
Top Bottom