• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC4: First review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not really falling so much as no one is as jaded or bitter as you.

Do you really honestly believe after 6 games they finally put decent stealth in? Come on this is common sense by now.

But no let's trust the first review that sounds as suspicious as most first reviews do. Then we'll whine about how wrong it was after we all buy it just like always.

Goldmund

5/5 for the length of a game sounds like saying it's proportionate to itself, "the game is as long as it's long!", it's tautological. There's no need to put a score to it, if all they want to say is it doesn't overstay its welcome. I mean, what's a 2/5 or a 3/5 in terms of length, since they have to be speaking relatively and not in absolutes?

StuBurns

Banned
Do you really honestly believe after 6 games they finally put decent stealth in? Come on this is common sense by now.

But no let's trust the first review that sounds as suspicious as most first reviews do. Then we'll whine about how wrong it was after we all buy it just like always.
I don't believe the review, but at some point, they're going to have to address the stealth and combat. Unfortunately, until sales start to wane, they don't have the incentive to do so.

This is propably casual view on gfx as there seems to be quite a few differences in reality... Aliasing is dissapointing as iq should be numero uno consern in nextgen games.

BenouKat

Banned
I'm french and Jeux vidéo Magazine is a very bad magazine in terms of review, as the jeuxvideo.com french website.

Every AAA or big marketed game gets a 18. So don't pay too much attention to the score and be careful to the "good/bad" point, not always representative of the reality.

SJRB

Gold Member

All footage so far shows that the "stealth" is basically the same as in AC3: you hide in the bushes, only this time the foliage is dense enough so you don't stick out like a sore thumb like in AC3.

"Stealth" as a gameplay feature has no meaning whatsoever in an AC game, it's nothing more than standing behind an object so a guard doesn't see you. There is no crouch, no cover option to hide behind boxes or other objects, no sneaking movement.

It's shallow as hell.

Maxxan

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical. I didn't even think PS4 review consoles were out in the wild yet.

Testing kits have been set out to some reviewers, I think. But doubt there are that many of them, as many reviewers get retail consoles.

As someone who didn't hate AC3 as much as most GAF posters (
I liked Desmond too. Yeah, I know he was shit
) I'm still going to wait on this one. I've done the AC thing so many times now it lost all the luster it once had. If GAF reviews are great (or if the ship is like the Suikoden 4 ship and I can add stuff and get treasure or decorations) I'll buy it for the PS4.

Xater

-A lot of things to do

How much of that is actually fun though. Theoretically AC3 had also lots of things to do.

It seems like a good game, but I just don't care anymore. I might buy the PS4 version cheap eventually.

Wait for it to appear for free on PS+. That's what I plan to do. The previous games all appeared there without fail.

It's not really falling so much as no one is as jaded or bitter as you.

It's not about being jaded and bitter, it's about pattern recognition and looking at how stealth and freeform tackling of assassination missions has slowly eroded away release after release since AC2. It's all in favor of a more guided experience that might trick some people into thinking their doing a stealthy approach, when really they're walking down a linear corridor built for them by the developer to kill a target in a cool way.

I was sucked into the AC3 hype. Never again. Will wait for black friday, if not then a good a sale. It does look great though. I need me some more naval missions. :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, for real. Why would you think everyone know what aliasing is?

Because NeoGAF. But more than that, why not just spend 1 second to google it?

5/5 for the length of a game sounds like saying it's proportionate to itself, "the game is as long as it's long!", it's tautological. There's no need to put a score to it, if all they want to say is it doesn't overstay its welcome. I mean, what's a 2/5 or a 3/5 in terms of length, since they have to be speaking relatively and not in absolutes?

They're saying you get a lot of hours of busywork for your 60 dollars. That's all.

HariKari

It's all in favor of a more guided experience that might trick some people into thinking their doing a stealthy approach, when really they're walking down a linear corridor built for them by the developer to kill a target in a cool way.

I thought everyone liked follow missions?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Because NeoGAF. But more than that, why not just spend 1 second to google it?

They're saying you get a lot of hours of busywork for your 60 dollars. That's all.
Busywork in AC1 and AC2 was good busywork, that played on the core of the gameplay, however shallow it was. Then they turned it into checklisting (jump off the horse ten times!) and accounting (oh god ac3 why).

Ce-Lin

obviously the only worthwhile differences between the PS4 and PS3 versions are better framerates and "some" crispier textures, PS3 is a beast :p

then again it's another AC game, so probably boring as hell after 2 hours of playing, IMO of course.

Tiberius

they probably used the ps3 version for the review and add the ps4 graphical enhancement part they saw at gamescom and co

Sojgat

Various previews indicate that Ubi has overhauled the stealth mechanics a bit in AC4, but I remain skeptical. Would be really nice though.

I thought everyone liked follow missions?

It's more like the AC3 mission where you navigate across the big battlefield trying not to get shot, then move up some fallen trees to start down a linear path through the tree branches and some bushes that eventually ends at the top of a flagpole, from which you air assassinate a guy. There's really nothing to the mission other than doing exactly what the developers wanted you to do. And if you don't do it, you actually fail the mission.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's more like the AC3 mission where you navigate across the big battlefield trying not to get shot, then move up some fallen trees to start down a linear path through the tree branches that eventually ends at the top of a flagpole, from which you air assassinate a guy. There's really nothing to the mission other than doing exactly what the developers wanted you to do. And if you don't do it, you actually fail the mission.

Why did you have to remind me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't give a fuck about the score, I need to know 1 thing.

Does it play like AC3, or does it play like AC2/brotherhood/revelations.

If it plays like AC3 I don't give a fuck if the rest is cool I'm OUT, if it plays like 2 I can look past the horrific current day stuff.

Nibel

Stealth in a open-world Ubisoft game

KuGsj.gif

It's not about being jaded and bitter, it's about pattern recognition and looking at how stealth and freeform tackling of assassination missions has slowly eroded away release after release since AC1. It's all in favor of a more guided experience that might trick some people into thinking their doing a stealthy approach, when really they're walking down a linear corridor built for them by the developer to kill a target.

Fixed that for you. AC2 was already the start of this trend. But my point was aimed squarely at Derrick, because it doesn't matter what most people think is good or bad because to him it's all shit.

It's more like the AC3 mission where you navigate across the big battlefield trying not to get shot, then move up some fallen trees to start down a linear path through the tree branches and some bushes that eventually ends at the top of a flagpole, from which you air assassinate a guy. There's really nothing to the mission other than doing exactly what the developers wanted you to do. And if you don't do it, you actually fail the mission.
Well I didn't do it that way and didn't fail it, unless by fail you mean that you didn't get the 100% rating.

v1oz

If PS3 looks quite close to the PS4 version and quite good on its own right. That bodes well for the Wii U version, which should be even better than the PS3 build in terms of graphics.

ironcreed

Banned
Bleh, I might check it out at some point after I finally jump to next gen. I'm just not ready for another Assassin's Creed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom