• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to insider, Resident Evil 8 isn't releasing on current gen platforms due to the limitations in the hardware holding back their vision.

Noted horror insider, Dusk Golem, has taken to Twitter to offer some context as to why plans seem to have changed at Capcom with regards to Resident Evil 8’s development.

Okay, I got some clarification on why they made RE8 next-gen only, when it was cross-gen previously. With the updated graphic fidelity overhaul they're doing (still in progress), the way RE8 was designed lead to past-gen consoles having a lot of pop-in/long texture loads/ load times because the game has you traveling through most of the Village and had a lot of load zones. Because there's a bigger focus on exploration this would lead to the last-gen console versions having notable issues, and it was holding back how pretty they could make certain scenes. So they decided to drop the last-gen versions of the game to make it so the game had no loading at all (not limited by last gen hardware) and push the graphic overhaul further without the limitations of last-gen tech in mind.

— AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem (@AestheticGamer1) June 13, 2020

https://www.psu.com/news/resident-evil-8-ps4-version-cancelled-due-to-development-problems-report/

If true this is a very interesting piece of news. It basically tells us developers are already starting to prioritize their creative vision (and the experience they want gamers to have) over current-gen install base economics. Still; it's obviously up in the air the amount of developers that will take this stance in year 1. What this news does describe is a real latent want by developers to move away as quickly as possible from current gen shackles to explore new design possibilities courtesy of next-gen hardware.

How much is being held back by developers targeting these platforms? It brings to mind Microsoft's decision to have their exclusives support current gen hardware (Halo 5) and HDD's in particular. Also, as far as this specific case is concerned, it brings the question as to what the minimum reqs for PC will be for Resident Evil 8.

Do you think current gen will be hampering cross-gen games significantly?
Should we look at it on a case by case basis?
Do you want to see more devs do what Capcom is doing here and completely ditch current gen?

Discuss.

Edit:

Last edited:

FranXico

giphy.gif

Astral Dog

Yeah its obvious considering How open VILLAGE looks compared to the other 3 on PS4, and that it started as a current gen game because the reveal trailer looks a bit rough.

Also i was wondering about VR, RE7 had to be as close to 60fps as possible for a smooth experience, no way VILLAGE was gonna be 60 on current gen.

At the end this shows how confident Capcom is on this one

-Arcadia-

Banned
Lol. Saw the title, saw the OP, was wondering when this would get tied to Microsoft. Yup.

It's a fair point, though.

Personally, I'm glad they did this, and I would generally prefer that most games do the same. I think we've gotten better at visual upgrades between hardware, but the less Destiny 1s there are this gen, the better.

Batiman

Banned
The game looked rough for next gen. Looked like a PS4 game from the stream easily. Probably not noticing the little effects watching it on twitch so whatever. The faces looked really rough.

Astral Dog

Just marketing bull.
Actually, sounds very reasonable you know if it was cross gen fanboys would be complaining too.

It will still be an early gen game, but look at how open VILLaGE looks compared to 7 or the incredibly linear 3, its a huge difference

Last edited:

vpance

Some of the scenes in that trailer looked rough, with flat lighting and muddy textures. Character models on par or worse than the remakes.

Batiman

Banned
I mean it makes sense to put big games cross gen to maximize the user base profit but sometimes being on a new gen with less competition helps a game get sales from people looking to play something on their new machine. When this gen started, I felt I was buying everything in the store due to hype. Less to compete with

Last edited:
I mean it makes sense to put big games cross gen to maximize the user base profit but sometimes being on a new gen with less competition helps a game get sales from people looking to play something on their new machine. When this gen started, I felt I was buying everything in the store due to hype. Less to compete with

That's a very valid and fair point. The Nintendo exclusive paradigm. The less competition for that dollar, the more eyes on what's available.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Some of the scenes in that trailer looked rough, with flat lighting and muddy textures. Character models on par or worse than the remakes.
I think from what we know of the development this is because the game started as a current gen build (and even a Revelations 3 instead of VIII) and its much more open than 7 so they pretty much had to cut corners everywhere, its not properly optimized for next gen consoles yet but im sure at release it will look and run much better i wouldn't worry

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Seeing as how they've proudly confirmed no load times, I imagine a seamless world plays into that vision, especially if the titular Village is dense with detail. And that's fine. I welcome any excuse to remove load times from games.

T_LVPL

There’s an interview/preview thing a few days ago with the REVIII game directors on YouTube, and they confirmed it’s only on next generation. Thought it was interesting at the time as everyone assumed it was coming to current gen.

Life

This could simply mean there won't be any loading anywhere? So the chases will always be intense and on a bigger map. In fact, any game that says "this can only be done next-gen" probably only means this. The leap in tech just isn't that big for it to be anything else.

Joey.

I thought the RE8 looked really good...guess I have to check my eyes lol.
Anyways...if there were hiccups I'm hopeful they can be ironed out in the mean time.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Am I in an episode of the Twilight Zone?

"RE8 looked rough"

Everything looked the same to me. Really, really good. How do you people (yes I said "you people") notice these visual hiccups in these trailers?!
With working eyes and modern monitors/TVs. It was a slideshow of a game that looked noticeably last gen

Droxcy

Devs should honestly just start focusing on Mid-High tier PC settings and Next Gen systems anyways.

njean777

I agree that it looked rough and choppy, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they can iron out all the kinks. I expect maybe (crossing fingers) 60fps at 1080p on both PS5 and XSX. I mean at this point 1080p should run 60fps at all times, and that option should be available always.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
RE VIII looked good but they definitely need to improve the performance. Next gen only and if it's only 30FPS, that will be very disappointing.

Moogle11

Banned
RE VIII looked good but they definitely need to improve the performance. Next gen only and if it's only 30FPS, that will be very disappointing.

mid get used to 30 FPS for story-drive single player games where they want all the graphical bells and whistles. At least at 4K, maybe they’ll have lower resolution at 60FPS as a. Option.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
mid get used to 30 FPS for story-drive single player games where they want all the graphical bells and whistles. At least at 4K, maybe they’ll have lower resolution at 60FPS as a. Option.

REmake2 and REmake3 were 60FPS at a lower resolution than 4K but I will be very shocked if PS5 and Series X aren't 60FPS regardless of what the resolution is.

jakinov

https://www.psu.com/news/resident-evil-8-ps4-version-cancelled-due-to-development-problems-report/

If true this is a very interesting piece of news. It basically tells us developers are already starting to prioritize their creative vision (and the experience they want gamers to have) over current-gen install base economics. Still; it's obviously up in the air the amount of developers that will take this stance in year 1. What this news does describe is a real latent want by developers to move away as quickly as possible from current gen shackles to explore new design possibilities courtesy of next-gen hardware.

How much is being held back by developers targeting these platforms? It brings to mind Microsoft's decision to have their exclusives support current gen hardware (Halo 5) and HDD's in particular. Also, as far as this specific case is concerned, it brings the question as to what the minimum reqs for PC will be for Resident Evil 8.

Do you think current gen will be hampering cross-gen games significantly?
Should we look at it on a case by case basis?
Do you want to see more devs do what Capcom is doing here and completely ditch current gen?

Discuss.

Microsoft made a business decision to support Xbox One and have an interest in showcasing the value of new consoles. they will probbaly put in the extra time to downgrade the game for current generation consoles. If they can stIck PS4 games on switch, and 360 games on iPhones. They can probably shove next gen games on current Gen. yeah there extra work to creating loading screens, tweaking graphics and whatever but Microsoft will likely do it to achieve their business goals. If you think about it they likely already made all those loading screens and designed the games around loading screens since they are multiple years in development and likely already targeted Xbox One for a whole. At this point it’s more like current gen games being pushed to next gen so it’s arguably that next-gen is pushing these games forward. Not last-gen is holding these games back.

Sports game. COD and destiny were all cross-gen and they still looked significantly better on new consoles. The graphics didn’t get that much better over the years except maybe with Modern Warfare.

Mister Wolf

Microsoft made a business decision to support Xbox One and have an interest in showcasing the value of new consoles. they will probbaly put in the extra time to downgrade the game for current generation consoles. If they can stIck PS4 games on switch, and 360 games on iPhones. They can probably shove next gen games on current Gen. yeah there extra work to creating loading screens, tweaking graphics and whatever but Microsoft will likely do it to achieve their business goals. If you think about it they likely already made all those loading screens and designed the games around loading screens since they are multiple years in development and likely already targeted Xbox One for a whole. At this point it’s more like current gen games being pushed to next gen so it’s arguably that next-gen is pushing these games forward. Not last-gen is holding these games back.

Sports game. COD and destiny were all cross-gen and they still looked significantly better on new consoles. The graphics didn’t get that much better over the years except maybe with Modern Warfare.

The best example I can think of is this:

Its like people don't realize how much they can cut if they feel like it.

Last edited:

Lethal01

The best example I can think of is this:

Its like people don't realize how much they can cut if they feel like it.

Not saying that being crossgen guarantees the game is worse that it could have been.
But it's something that happens and I rather not hear that a game is taking the risk of being held back by aiming for crossgen.
Also it could just end up taking longer or having more issues with budget.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

I read somewhere on twitter that some of the trailer was an older build, and they are still updating their engine for next gen as well.
Bull, shit.

Nothing in that trailer couldn't be done on current gen...

Not if you want RTX and zero loading screens.

Top Bottom