• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney anime picked up by Crunchyroll (starts April 2nd)

FluxWaveZ

Awesome news. Unfortunately, as discussed in the community thread, it seems that they'll be using the Japanese names for the characters and not the English names. "Naruhodo Ryuichi" is something I'll have to get used to.

They're using the Japanese names, so they probably won't be adapting any of the localized quirks such as the location.

None of this, then? :(

RaidenXZ

They just announced this today and said "excluding Asia". I want this to be true but its sounding like an April Fools joke :(

Malreyn

They're using the Japanese names, so they probably won't be adapting any of the localized quirks such as the location.

Darn...it would be amazing though if it got dubbed in some Blu-ray release with the localized names...I'll watch it regardless

I guess I won't use Crunchy for this. I want my localised AA. Just like I want my Duwang/Proper translation of Jojo's Diamond is Unbreakable.

Why aren't they using the localized names at the very least? It's gonna be so difficult remembering everyone's names when I already know them as Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth, etc..

Why aren't they using the localized names at the very least? It's gonna be so difficult remembering everyone's names when I already know them as Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth, etc..

It would be extremely disorienting to hear the voice acting saying one thing and read something entirely different in the subtitles. This makes sense.

Neoxon

Well damn, a one-two punch of JoJo & Ace Attorney on Cruncyroll. I like it.

That being said, part of me wants to wait until the inevitable dub.

HardRojo

Yeah, sadly this probably will feel somewhat weird if you're used to the western localization. I'll still watch it just for the heck of it though.

Shantom

Is that available in Europe? Is it a subscription based service which costs money every month or so?

Yes, it's available in Europe, though some major shows such as One Piece are missing. There's a subscription, but you can also watch for free. If you don't subscribe you're limited to 480p, the videos have a couple of ads, and episodes come out a week later.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It won't be dubbed. My question is whether or not they will ignore the Japanese names and use the localized ones instead.

Glad this starts tomorrow...perfect replacement for Kindaichi.

Bakkus

Yes, it's available in Europe, though some major shows such as One Piece are missing. There's a subscription, but you can also watch for free. If you don't subscribe you're limited to 480p, the videos have a couple of ads, and episodes come out a week later.
Ah thanks, maybe I should check it out. Never been very into anime other than those kids shows which were also multimedia brands (Pokemon, Duel Masters, Beyblade, etc), but I have to watch this AA anime.

Neoxon

It won't be dubbed. My question is whether or not they will ignore the Japanese names and use the localized ones instead.

Glad this starts tomorrow...perfect replacement for Kindaichi.
What makes you so sure, was a dub completely ruled out?

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I would have been excited if it was canon original cases but since it's an adaptation I won't bother. These never end well.

It's probably Crunchyroll's policy to always use the Japanese names with their subs.

I remember people fearing that they would use the English names for Detective Conan when they started simulcasting it. Really glad that they stuck with the original names.

jrcbandit

It would be extremely disorienting to hear the voice acting saying one thing and read something entirely different in the subtitles. This makes sense.

Not at all. I have no idea what their Japanese names are, nor do I know any Japanese words other than the basic greetings, itadakimasu, yes/no, etc. So why would it be distracting to read the names of characters I know well from playing 5 or so Ace Attorney games versus reading the names I have no idea who they are?

FluxWaveZ

That wouldn't be very distracting to me. English subs inherently differ from spoken word in Japanese; the proper names are no different for that to me. It's way more disorienting to be reading Japanese names of English names I'm used to.

Not at all. I have no idea what their Japanese names are, nor do I know any Japanese words other than the basic greetings, itadakimasu, yes/no, etc. So why would it be distracting to read the names of characters I know well from playing 5 or so Ace Attorney games versus reading the names I have no idea who they are?

Plenty of times a line of dialogue might only be a character's name.

Having the audio say "Naruhodou-san" and the subtitles say "Wright" would be distracting for a lot of people. It just doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure a dub would use the names used in the English game releases. But for subtitles changing the names would be quite silly. This is what separates a subbed release from a dubbed release.

Well, better start memorizing! I'll help along for the main characters (note that full names may or may not be backwards in the subtitles):

Phoenix Wright = Ryuuichi Naruhodou
Mia Fey = Chihiro Ayasato
Maya Fey = Mayoi Ayasato
Pearl Fey = Harumi Ayasato
Miles Edgeworth = Reiji Mitsurugi
Dick Gumshoe = Keisuke Itonokogiri
Larry Butz = Yasashi Yahari
Winston Payne = Takefumi Auchi
Manfred von Karma = Gou Karuma
Franziska von Karma = Mei Karuma

jrcbandit

Well, better start memorizing! I'll help along for the main characters (note that full names may or may not be backwards in the subtitles):

Phoenix Wright = Ryuuichi Naruhodou
Mia Fey = Chihiro Ayasato
Maya Fey = Mayoi Ayasato
Pearl Fey = Harumi Ayasato
Miles Edgeworth = Reiji Mitsurugi
Dick Gumshoe = Keisuke Itonokogiri
Larry Butz = Yasashi Yahari
Winston Payne = Takefumi Auchi
Manfred von Karma = Gou Karuma
Franziska von Karma = Mei Karuma

Are Dick Gumshoe and Larry Butz equivalents in Japanese also a play on words?

I dont think that is a strong argument since the subs for YGO on CR use cards names that are the official us card games name even though the characters are saying something else.

Top Bottom