• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies released on iOS in Japan

danielcw

Alright. These announcements always make me think about a future where Ace Attorney would only be released on mobile platforms and I don't like it, but this is cool for more exposure.

But those kind of games find touch screen only devices really well, don't they.
They do control fine, and do not need much processing power.
The perfect console-like game for mobile devices or pads.

n0tail

Banned
Wow. So mad right now. I would have preferred to play this on my iPhone any day over my 3DS. In fact, I bought a 3DS mainly for this game. What a waste of my money. :( I guess this is what happens when you're a hardcore PW fan.

Squire

Banned
Man, I wish Capcom moved as fast as SE with this stuff. I want this. The wait it took for AA Trilogy isn't inspiring confidence though. :///

Kinsei

Banned
Looks pretty awesome. I hope they haven't removed some music like they did in the iOS version of the original trilogy.

I have a confession to make, despite being a huge AA fan (I own and love 1, 2, 3, AJ, and AAI: ME) and owning a 3DS I've never played DD.

FluxWaveZ

Games like this don't need physical controls, a big touchscreen is probably the best way to play them(after a mouse).

Sure, if any series were to be brought over to mobile only, Ace Attorney would fit perfectly. I just don't own a mobile device.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow. So mad right now. I would have preferred to play this on my iPhone any day over my 3DS. In fact, I bought a 3DS mainly for this game. What a waste of my money. :( I guess this is what happens when you're a hardcore PW fan.

Well the next AA games are also coming to 3DS, so i dont see how its a waster if you are a fan of the series. Not too mention that you got to play it at least a year earlier.

n0tail

Banned
Well the next AA games are also coming to 3DS, so i dont see how its a waster if you are a fan of the series. Not too mention that you got to play it at least a year earlier.

Yeah, I guess that's true. And let's not forget Layton vs. PW. That was an excellent game as well.

But knowing this I might actually wait for the next PW game to come out on the iOS instead of picking it up on the 3DS. Unless it takes roughly a year like this one did. Not waiting that long.

Sandfox

But that would require you to own an iOS device lol.

vareon

Yeah, I guess that's true. And let's not forget Layton vs. PW. That was an excellent game as well.

But knowing this I might actually wait for the next PW game to come out on the iOS instead of picking it up on the 3DS. Unless it takes roughly a year like this one did. Not waiting that long.

The way I see it in the near future, if Capcom makes a 3DS/Vita game, they will release it on handheld first, then port it to Smartphones in a few months or a year. So if you're fine with waiting (and speculating) go ahead.

Groof

I think it was in Japan, but given this is just iOS in Japan for the moment an English Android release looks pretty unlikely.
It's out on android in all of Asia I think.
Feels like every one of these threads I just complain about them ignoring android users in the west, but it just upsets me too much. What sort of corporate decision to ignore a huge user base like that makes sense?

Asbear

Banned
Looks pretty awesome. I hope they haven't removed some music like they did in the iOS version of the original trilogy.

I have a confession to make, despite being a huge AA fan (I own and love 1, 2, 3, AJ, and AAI: ME) and owning a 3DS I've never played DD.

Bear in mind that this is more of a direct port like the Wii versions of the Phoenix Wright games. The graphics in Dual Destinies were in fact designed for HD screens if you look at the reveal trailer for the game for instance.

I hope Day Gyakuten Saiban will come to iOS too in case we won't get the Japanese version in Europe. I don't want a Japanese 3DS and I hope games are easier to hack on iOS so a fan translation can be set in motion :3

ZeroX03

Banned
Alright. These announcements always make me think about a future where Ace Attorney would only be released on mobile platforms and I don't like it, but this is cool for more exposure.

I think they like 3DS because they a good chunk of full price sales, while mobile they only get half that. Double dippers too.

It's out on android in all of Asia I think.
Feels like every one of these threads I just complain about them ignoring android users in the west, but it just upsets me too much. What sort of corporate decision to ignore a huge user base like that makes sense?

A little outdated, but generally because Android owners spend 3x less than iOS. The money is on iOS, Android users prefer free apps. Also iOS in Japan has over a third of the market share, they're big(ger) there.

Ah, it was only a matter of time. That being said, more exposure for the series is good, especially if it's actually a good port (as opposed to the HD Trilogy).

Ace Attorney lends itself well to touchscreen devices, so as long as nothing significant is being compromised, I don't see any issue.

Edit: Wow, those character models look way better. MT Framework Mobile at work, I guess.

Groof

A little outdated, but generally because Android owners spend 3x less than iOS. The money is on iOS, Android users prefer free apps. Also iOS in Japan has over a third of the market share, they're big(ger) there.
Every time the same articles get thrown around, when in reality, that isn't the case.

And why would iOS being bigger in Japan affect the rest of the world, where android has almost a 90% market share? It makes zero sense financially for them to neglect it.

Alrus

They skipped Apollo Justice :/

And yeah, hope the series doesn't becole iOS exclusive, I don't mind if it's mobile exclusive but at least put the game on android so more people can enjoy them.

Thoraxes

I only played the 3DS version in 3D the whole time. Everything looks so flat in this lol

If you can stomach waiting like 3 years after they come out on their original platforms in their original country of release for them to make the rounds to end up on the platform in English, be my guest.

I don't have that kind of patience for this series. Hell, i'm probably importing a 3DS just for Dai Gyakuten Saiban.

RedShift

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, are the characters in this game pre rendered or not?

Played the 3DS version and there are slight differences between the two images for each eye, but the 3d slider seems to just change how everything is placed in the room. I figured they pre rendered two images for each frame. But I'm not sure and it's bugging me.

Thoraxes

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, are the characters in this game pre rendered or not?

Played the 3DS version and there are slight differences between the two images for each eye, but the 3d slider seems to just change how everything is placed in the room. I figured they pre rendered two images for each frame. But I'm not sure and it's bugging me.

The environments and characters are 3D. The fact that you can see the adjusted stereoscopy and change in depth and perspective happen in real-time as you move the slider is proof enough that they can't be pre-rendered. The slight differences are due to the fact that you gain a larger FOV because of the stereoscopic effect. One eye sees more to the left and the other to the right; like with how your eyes in your head work, you eyes create a composite image so the two different images you see become one, creating depth-perception.

By comparison, try moving it up and down (and then off) during the animated cutscenes and the difference should be readily apparent.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Naah, I don't see any reason to be worried about the series abandoning traditional handhelds, especially since this is a one year old game being ported: AA5 sold great on 3DS, with good sales in the West as well, and the mobile market isn't too keen to traditional premium experiences, currently. Also, to be honest, the AA series is one of those that can fit pretty well the mobile space, gameplay-wise.

Heck, the AA Trilogy made the reverse pattern (from mobile to 3DS), and Capcom is developing both a new spinoff and the next main chapter, with the former being 3DS and the latter 99.9% being 3DS only.

Ridley327

I don't care about AA but this makes me hopeful for Monster Hunter 3G and, who knows, maybe even 4 eventually.

I don't think MH3G is going to happen, since the underwater combat would be a hellish nightmare with touch controls, even more than it is now for the regular combat. A port of MHP3rd would make more sense.

SerTapTap

Is there some publicly known marketing research that indicates either marketing mobile games before launch is a bad idea/just not worth it? It seems that by default mobile games will just appear ready to download with absolutely no warning one day, it's really weird.

heringer

I don't think MH3G is going to happen, since the underwater combat would be a hellish nightmare with touch controls, even more than it is now for the regular combat. A port of MHP3rd would make more sense.

With the lock on implemented in Freedom Unite it would be easier than it was on Tri, so I don't see this as a big barrier. Freedom Unite actually plays very well with touchscreen and I though the camera was handled better than on 3DS (sans frankenstick).

In any case, it doesn't get any worse than MH on the PSP, and that didn't stop Capcom. MHP3rd would be nice, but that would never come stateside.

Awesome, games like this are perfect for mobile. I could support this kind of mobile future.
Pretty neat. So long as they don't ever make the series Mobile exclusive this is okay in my book.

The game makes a decent amount of money elsewhere so they won't, but I honestly wouldn't mind if that's what it took for the series to continue.

Namikaze

This is awesome, I'll buy it again if it comes stateside in the future. Hopefully they consider releasing another trilogy game with AA4, AAI, AAI2.

dream

Fuck, I did the same thing. Recently too.

At least my 3DS XL only cost me $99, I guess.

Li Kao

It's missing the best one, sadly. ;p

Hope it'll be on there someday so that more people get to play it. Although if they botch that one up also, they can go right to hell.

Are there problems with the ios version of the original trilogy ? (appart from the so-so redrawn arts I mean)

Top Bottom