• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

Takao

Banned
Don't worry Ace Attorney fans, you can join me in learning Japanese! Together our lack of localizations (I am more bitter than you) will allow us to easily conquer this foreign language!

Ugh. I guess Ace Attorney is dead in the West after all. I can import, but it just won't be the same.

I'm surprised to see Okamiden has already outsold it; either Capcom's release timing for it wasn't as bad as everyone thought or Ace Attorney Investigations sold really poorly.

Takao said:
Don't worry Ace Attorney fans, you can join me in learning Japanese! Together our lack of localizations (I am more bitter than you) will allow us to easily conquer this foreign language!

I realized a long time ago that I can't trust anyone to localize the games I want. If only learning a language wasn't so time-consuming...

Peff

Okamiden (which has already sold more than the first Investigations).

Yikes.

It's a shame, but I can't really say I'm surprised. They kinda burned the series by releasing them all together and the European version of AAI wasn't translated to the other four languages, which surely destroyed the already small sales figures the game would have had.

AAI had a pretty miserable release at least in Europe. The first four games were all published and completely localized by NoE. AAI on the other hand was a Capcom/Koch Media thing. It was English-only, barely advertised (if at all) and put into shelves at a budget price. So maybe they lost a lot of sales in Europe?

Fongul said:
Needless to say, there will be no localization love for AAI2. Hopefully, Capcom can maybe get this out for DSi-ware at least if the cost of producing the game physically is too much.
charlequin said:
Okay then, you guys can go back to crying now.
344qbe8.jpg

This is fucking bullshit.
Takao said:
There needs to be an official Ace Attorney fantranslation team, because I don't trust Capcom now.

Welp.

Time to put those Japanese lessons to use.

Edit: Unless Sven is flat out lying, you can't blame Capcom for this - they simply don't believe it'll make them money.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh, shit news. Still, AAI must have sold incredibly badly to be outdone by Okamiden. It must have been a hyper-bomba if the cost of localizing a text adventure is too much for Capcom relative to the sales projections.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pureauthor said:
Wait.

An Ace Attorney game was outsold by Okamiden?

That's.... that doesn't sound right.

Well it's good news for the Okami series I guess.

ShockingAlberto said:
I have to say, not bringing this over makes me lose a lot of respect and affection for Capcom not only as a provider of some of my favorite games, but as a company that tends to serve its fans well with localizations.

Well, when all the big boys have actively regressed in their localization percentage this generation, it's easy to see why the bosses at Capcom USA would say "fuck it!" As best I can recall, Last Ranker is the singular example of a prominent Capcom title skipped for localization this generation. I hate to see a good publisher like Capcom take lessons from a shitty publisher like Namco (or a historically well-run US branch like Capcom USA take after a lazy, incompetent US branch like Nintendo of America), but that seems to be the way of things these days.

Anyway, I'm not going to say that Christian Svensson doesn't have access to information I don't have here (because he obviously does) but I am going to say that "we didn't think it would make back the localization costs" is a pretty lousy explanation that doesn't reflect very well on Capcom USA. They've known this title was coming for ages; they certainly know that there will be more GS titles next generation and it should be fairly obvious that failing to localize this one will harm their ability to effectively sell those titles. Skipping this title is penny-wise, pound-foolish.

(If we're being really generous, that "other ways of delivering this content" thing means he's trying to get his bosses to re-release the game on 3DS so they can port that version over -- but I don't see a lot of reason to grant the benefit of the doubt here.)

Pureauthor said:
Welp.

Time to put those Japanese lessons to use.

Edit: Unless Sven is flat out lying, you can't blame Capcom for this - they simply don't believe it'll make them money.
I kind of can blame Capcom for this, yes!

Sometimes to maintain a brand, you have to take a few small losses. Skipping games will hurt the Ace Attorney series in the long run.

Plus it's inconsistent. I can't imagine Ghost Trick was a far more marketable IP than the already successful (declining or not) Ace Attorney series.

I assume something happened in recent months that is making Capcom USA tighten their belts hard. They must be under increased scrutiny from Japan to deliver only profitable returns.

charlequin said:
Anyway, I'm not going to say that Christian Svensson doesn't have access to information I don't have here (because he obviously does) but I am going to say that "we didn't think it would make back the localization costs" is a pretty lousy explanation that doesn't reflect very well on Capcom USA. They've known this title was coming for ages; they certainly know that there will be more GS titles next generation and it should be fairly obvious that failing to localize this one will harm their ability to effectively sell those titles. Skipping this title is penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Unless, like Aeana says, the AA series has been constantly declining in sales which means they don't see any benefit in bringing over future games either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Capcom is still in good standing with me for bringing over an enhanced Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and advertising it pretty well. I won't forget that.

Fodder76

Atlus... go get it.

I suspect that sales numbers that aren't worth it for Capcom, could be very well worth it for a smaller company like Atlus.

But please hire the original localization team.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So I went snooping around emulation sites to see how bad the "damage" these poor people caused.

4684 - Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth - USA

Downloads: 87,297

edgeworth-damage.gif

That's just from 1 site.

This is why we can't have nice things.
edgeworth-emo(b).gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fodder76 said:
Atlus... go get it.

I suspect that sales numbers that aren't worth it for Capcom, could be very well worth it for a smaller company like Atlus.

But please hire the original localization team.
If the investment is bigger than the return, it'll never be worth it for anyone.

Wizpig

Andrex said:
Well it's good news for the Okami series I guess.
Yeah, a series that gets sequels without the actual original creators wanting them...

And, sure enough, i was one of the people who bought Okamiden.
Now it's almost being used as an excuse for not localizing this.

Guess all the advertisement on FACEBOOK, TWITTER going on about how Chibi is cute worked well enough for them, too bad they never did anything of the sort for Ace Attorney Investigations 1.

@PKrockin: are you talking about the 3DS version? so that isn't coming to the US/Eur?
Showmeyamoves said:
So I went snooping around emulation sites to see how bad the "damage" these poor people caused.

These guys can go die in a fire.
But i hope, i hope that some of those actually bought the game before/after the download.

slaughterking said:
So maybe they lost a lot of sales in Europe?

I'd imagine their brief feint into bargain-basement iOS releases probably didn't help instill confidence in the DS releases, either.

Pureauthor said:

I certainly can and will. We're talking a text-only localization of a title in a series that will continue into the next generation. If we're talking a relatively minor loss, it's likely worthwhile as an investment in the series' future. And it's difficult for me to imagine the loss could be that large if they translate it in-house and give it a paper launch.

(I mean, that's all putting aside that in 2011 companies should be greenlighting and developing games with a worldwide launch factored in rather than making these after-the-fact decisions to leave behind only certain titles.)

Pureauthor said:
Unless, like Aeana says, the AA series has been constantly declining in sales which means they don't see any benefit in bringing over future games either.

I am deeply, deeply skeptical that with Layton vs. Ace Attorney coming for 3DS that "welp, that's it, AA is dead in the US" is anything but an idiotically premature admission of defeat.

Andrex said:
Capcom is still in good standing with me for bringing over an enhanced Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and advertising it pretty well. I won't forget that.
Yeah, as much as AAI2 not being localized pisses me off, Capcom still has my respect for pulling that one off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
No other company is going to pick it up, guys. Publishers generally don't let localization companies mess around with their IPs.

So basically, all our dreams are dead.

Well, time to give up gaming folks.

Thoraxes

Fongul said:
Needless to say, there will be no localization love for AAI2. Hopefully, Capcom can maybe get this out for DSi-ware at least if the cost of producing the game physically is too much.
;_;
I'm actually really depressed to read this, especially being someone who bought the game.
Maybe i'll begin the arduous journey to learn Japanese.
Hopefully there will still be some kind of digital release or something. Would be nice.

I imagine the much bigger problem is trying to get stores to buy copies of new DS games right now and then dedicating prominent shelf space to them.

But it's fucking Capcom. They seriously can't work around or through that? Give a good Amazon pre-order bonus and it basically solves itself.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Yeah, as much as AAI2 not being localized pisses me off, Capcom still has my respect for pulling that one off.

Capcom has been one of the leading Japanese publishers in terms of bringing their native output to the US -- far above Nintendo, far above Sony, far above Sega, far above Konami, laughably superior to Namco -- throughout the past seven years, at least. That doesn't mean we should excuse them for a poor choice -- that means we should give them an extra hard time about throwing away their good name in pursuit of a policy that makes them more like Namco.

PKrockin

Showmeyamoves said:

I hope Nintendo learned their lesson and the 3DS really is equipped with much tougher security...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
How the fuck are we in a world where Namco is quite possibly localizing 3 different tales games, and capcom is not localizing this? God damn it capcom.

Showmeyamoves said:

The only relevance this number could possibly have to this discussion is that if it were low enough it might demonstrate that Capcom is right and not enough people are actually interested in the game to bring it over.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fuck fuck FUCK!!!!!

This is fucking ridiculous!! >_< Since when did the AA series become the new Tales of? Son of a fucking monkey's uncle!! >_<

dream

Gyakuten Kenji 2 features the same three main characters from its predecessor: prosecutor Miles Edgeworth; detective Dick Gumshoe; and Kay Faraday, a teenage girl who is also an avid thief. One case of the game takes place at Gourd Lake, a setting from the first game of the series, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.[2] The character of Shelly de Killer from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All returns. A new female judge, named Hakari Mikagami, is introduced and serves as Edgeworth's rival in this game; character designer Tatsurou Iwamoto wanted to create an older woman he could look up to.[3] Mikagami is part of a "Prosecutor Purge", following the actions of weaker prosecutors to justify removing them from duty; the game starts with Mikagami attempting to take a case under Edgeworth's command to another prosecutor, Yumihiko Ichiyanagi.

That doesn't sound insanely great or anything.

I'm going to keep telling myself that. :(

PKrockin

While we're on the topic of unlocalized games, I'd just like to ask Nintendo where the hell my second Fire Emblem DS game is.

Zerokku said:
How the fuck are we in a world where Namco is quite possibly localizing 3 different tales games, and capcom is not localizing this? God damn it capcom.
Namco is in a space where they are trying hard to get something to stick in terms of IPs that they're even attempting a revival of the Tales series in the west. I guarantee you this is a bitter pill to swallow for everyone involved at Namco, but bombs like Enslaved have gotten them rethinking what they get behind.

Capcom is going through the reverse. It's a generational transition, they're having an extremely hard time maintaining relevance on DS shelf space, and so they're actively attempting to downplay the "Japan" aspect of their games. The push in the west is for western-style games, things that appeal to Americans and do not scream "Play this if you like Shu Takumi."

This leads through their weird schizophrenia. They'll localize things like Ghost Trick and Okamiden, but MvC3 will still get the huge bulk of their advertising. They won't bring over things like Last Ranker, but DmC will be defended to its grave.

It's weird, but maybe the best thing to hope for is that Capcom gets humbled somehow. On the other hand, that could either get them to change their ways or cause them to double-down hard on what they're already doing.

charlequin said:
Capcom has been one of the leading Japanese publishers in terms of bringing their native output to the US -- far above Nintendo, far above Sony, far above Sega, far above Konami, laughably superior to Namco -- throughout the past seven years, at least. That doesn't mean we should excuse them for a poor choice -- that means we should give them an extra hard time about throwing away their good name in pursuit of a policy that makes them more like Namco.
True enough, I guess. Come to think of it, TvC should probably show Capcom that localization risks can pay off if done correctly.

Didn't Capcom do something similar with Justice For All, or was that a different case altogether?

Fantastical said:
Wait, why is the title "actually definitely" not coming to the West, now?

I must have missed something.
Sven confirmed it is not coming.

Not "we have no plans" or "we have no comment at this time." Not coming, period.

PKrockin said:
While we're on the topic of unlocalized games, I'd just like to ask Nintendo where the hell my second Fire Emblem DS game is.
Maybe they are waiting to release it as a 3DS title. :\

Top Bottom