• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACE COMBAT 7 (Bandai Namco, Project Aces, UE4) coming to Playstation 4 & PSVR

IzzyF3

If they could some how put the flight stick in VR... Maybe put some move lights it or something... That would be freaking awesome. I'd be in day one for that.

AmyS

some info from famitsu:

-everything from the trailer was real-time.
-you can pick certain cloud in the sky and fly toward it, and the cloud will be there properly.
-The orbital elevator is the symbol of this title
-The big airship is imaginary ship that fly around and protect the orbital elevator
-PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away
-development is about 20% done.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8431236.html

OMG, all real time. *drools*

But 20% development.... ._.

2017 it is... :/

2017, indeed.

Hopefully we get a gameplay / story trailer at E3.

Iorv3th

Don't know what strangereal is.

Only AC I played was 6 and AH. Loved the heck out of 6. AH was......disappointing...

Will this be comparable to 6 or no?

Despera

Banned
Don't know what strangereal is.

Only AC I played was 6 and AH. Loved the heck out of 6. AH was......disappointing...

Will this be comparable to 6 or no?
AC4, 5, Zero are all much better than AC6. This game seems to be in the same universe as those so hopefully it will be a return to form for the series.

raven777

The visual in the trailer looked amazing. UE4 + trueSKY makes it look fantastic.

VacantRepulsiveBelugawhale.gif

BoxyBrown

Banned
I'd buy the shit out of Ace Combat 4 if it were remade/remastered. Only one i played as a kid, and i never knew how much i loved that damn game until i saw the Ace Combat 7 trailer.

Taiser

I love how the "cum historia mutat valde Razgriz" piano cover at the beginning of the trailer literally confirms Razgriz's return in AC7. 😂

...I mean why else would they use this very specific track in this manner ?

some info from famitsu:

-you can pick certain cloud in the sky and fly toward it, and the cloud will be there properly.
-The big airship is imaginary ship that fly around and protect the orbital elevator
-PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away

PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away

What does this mean? flying feely in the sky? is the VR feature just you flying around and nothing more? will we be in dog fights in VR? I am really pessimistic about the VR side of things, because they will yet to come out and say You will be able to play the game in VR, all they say is VR features and Flying Freely. Until I get you will be able to play ace combat 7 in VR, I'll just keep my eye out and nothing more.

ED Cantu

I'm so excited for this, just make a bundle that includes a Flight stick and I'll be all set.

Sunao Katabuchi, who was responsible for AC4,5 screenplay, will be handling the story
music is by Keiki Kobayashi.
This is great, the stories for 4 and 5 are really good even if I like Zero a bit more because it's a little less cheesy. And the music with Kobayashi will be awesome as always.

raven777

PSVR is something that seems to fit the concept of flying freely in the sky, so they decided to implement right away

What does this mean? flying feely in the sky? is the VR feature just you flying around and nothing more? will we be in dog fights in VR? I am really pessimistic about the VR side of things, because they will yet to come out and say You will be able to play the game in VR, all they say is VR features and Flying Freely. Until I get you will be able to play ace combat 7 in VR, I'll just keep my eye out and nothing more.

Better translation from gematsu

Ace Combat 7 will support PlayStation VR. Kono wants a lot of people to be able to play the game intuitively, and being a game where you can fly freely through the sky, virtual reality is a good match for it.

Also a bit more detailed summary says that with VR they will have to overcome many hurdles like technical aspects and sounds like they really haven't started much on the VR part yet.

Better translation from gematsu

Also a bit more detailed summary says that with VR they will have to overcome many hurdles like technical aspects and sounds like they really haven't started much on the VR part yet.

Thanks, at least War Thunder developer says that their game is playable in VR. A more definitive statement, not VR Features.

mcz117chief

Why would you think the only option is to change the weapons, or keep hot-garbage mode?

Because hitting Ace Combat Assault Horizon enemies without dogfight mode is impossible, they actually reacted to your attacks and since the missiles in Ace Combat games have almost no tracking then you can't have reactive enemies while also maintaining the same missile system from the PS2 games. Do you remember the Strigon team from AC6 on ace difficulty? Nightmare fuel...

Because hitting Ace Combat Assault Horizon enemies without dogfight mode is impossible, they actually reacted to your attacks and since the missiles in Ace Combat games have almost no tracking then you can't have reactive enemies while also maintaining the same missile system from the PS2 games. Do you remember the Strigon team from AC6 on ace difficulty? Nightmare fuel...

It's about getting a good angle and choosing when to send the missiles off the rails. I don't think anyone is after a DCS type experience with Ace Combat but having some the core basics of dogfighting is essential if the game is going to be fun. Part is what made AC6 not as fun was the "dodging" button for auto tight maneuvers. They are hopefully going to more the points of 4,5,Zero where there is a need for dogfighting and not a QTE or single button dodge.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Famitsu has a scoop on it in their new issue

l_56600c59115ebh8s7k.jpg

Info could start to leak at any time now.
some info from famitsu:

Oh man I'm so excited, I mean I was excited to see FFVII Remake gameplay, but a proper AC, over the moon. 20% doesn't sound like a lot, but who kneels hoe

a remastered collection would even be more awesome than ac7.
I'd buy the shit out of Ace Combat 4 if it were remade/remastered. Only one i played as a kid, and i never knew how much i loved that damn game until i saw the Ace Combat 7 trailer.

It's probably unlikely now if they hadn't started one a bit ago, at this point we will probably get AC4/5/0 through PS4 emulation with added trophies. But hell, I'd buy them day 1 however they come out, would love to play through the three of them again.

mcz117chief

It's about getting a good angle and choosing when to send the missiles off the rails. I don't think anyone is after a DCS type experience with Ace Combat but having some the core basics of dogfighting is essential if the game is going to be fun. Part is what made AC6 not as fun was the "dodging" button for auto tight maneuvers. They are hopefully going to more the points of 4,5,Zero where there is a need for dogfighting and not a QTE or single button dodge.

But in the PS2 games the enemy DOESN'T evade at all! They do a few manoeuvres and then they waited for you to kill them. Have you ever played multiplayer in Ace Combat 4,0,6 or fought against the Strigon team on ace in 6?

Ace Combat 4 was technically remade. Ace Combat 6 is extremely similar to 4 and most consider it a remake of a sort.

I think Infinity has a good mix with how the AI enemy evades. The lower tier planes are pretty much sitting ducks, but the red targets and named enemies at the very least will dodge some attacks every now and then.

But in the PS2 games the enemy DOESN'T evade at all! They do a few manoeuvres and then they waited for you to kill them. Have you ever played multiplayer in Ace Combat 4,0,6 or fought against the Strigon team on ace in 6?

Certain enemies did: Flying wings in AC3, Yellow squad, 8492nd. I dabbed a bit in AC6 and played some split screen in AC4 and 5. AC6's QAAM missiles were broken and the insta dodge was not fun to fly against. I've played 1000s of hours in flight sims though and have a couple hundred in Warhawk. To me having evadable missiles are essential, and again basic dogfighting is what makes it fun. Having to fly to get the chase and perfect shot.

AmyS

Ace Combat 4 was technically remade. Ace Combat 6 is extremely similar to 4 and most consider it a remake of a sort.

I completely disagree.

I loved Ace Combat 6, and Ace Combat 4, but each for very different reasons.

A couple of hopes for Ace Combat 7:

rtamcvl.jpg

* I want to be able to fly with multiple wingmen and see each plane in replay mode, like in Ace Combat 5 (unlike any other AC game AFAIK) but this time, with far more powerful hardware than PS2, should be 11 other planes with me, making for a realistic size squadron of 12 aircraft.
* I'd love be able to give different commands to each group or flight of 4 planes. Changing formation / attack / defend, etc.
* Expand on Allied Support System from AC6, and the Dynamic Operations System.
*Command AWACS /JSTARS aircraft for strategic decisions, vectoring in fighters / attack ground targets. This could be a companion app, like Battlefield 4's Commander Mode. Touch Screen. Etc.

UrbanRats

some info from famitsu:

Color me fucking impressed.
That Unreal Engine 4, uh?

I love how the "cum historia mutat valde Razgriz" piano cover at the beginning of the trailer literally confirms Razgriz's return in AC7. 😂

...I mean why else would they use this very specific track in this manner ?

Imma be pissed if they are trolling with that track.

mcz117chief

I completely disagree.

You can disagree all you want but it is true. They both have the same story and mission progression. Just replace Yellow with Strigon and Stonehenge with Aigaion and you see that there is very little difference, just an example. The mission progression is the biggest hint though, look at the mission in 4 and compare them to 6, they are almost identical and in an almost identical order.

Certain enemies did: Flying wings in AC3, Yellow squad, 8492nd. I dabbed a bit in AC6 and played some split screen in AC4 and 5. AC6's QAAM missiles were broken and the insta dodge was not fun to fly against. I've played 1000s of hours in flight sims though and have a couple hundred in Warhawk. To me having evadable missiles are essential, and again basic dogfighting is what makes it fun. Having to fly to get the chase and perfect shot.

I still don't know what you mean by this "instant dodge" unless you mean high-g turn and QAAMs are definitely not broken. Also, all the enemies you mentioned (aces in 3, Yellow and the 8492nd) are all programmed to do a couple of manoeuvres and then fly straight for a few seconds so you can kill them. If they would turn to dive every time the got missile locked you would have to kill them with rockets or mgs, just like in Ace Combat 6 multi (I am not shitting you, man, almost everyone was using attackers with rockets in 6s multi, it was the only real weapon that could be effectively used, except for the rail gun but most lobbies had that disabled).

AmyS

You can disagree as you want but it is true. They both have the same story and mission progression. Just replace Yellow with Strigon and Stonehenge with Aigaion and you see that there is very little difference.

I see what you mean in that respect.

I was thinking more along the lines of framerate 60fps vs 30fps. No big deal.

mcz117chief

I see what you mean in that respect.

I was thinking more along the lines of framerate 60fps vs 30fps. No big deal.

Yeah, I get it. You just want Ace Combat 4 HD I guess, I would personally love Ace Combat Zero HD the most with the ability to play with dogfight mode.

mcz117chief

So do you guys want;

1. Faceless character like Blaze, etc
2. Set mc like Bishop
3. Custom character

Im going to go to hope for #3 this time.

I can go with either as long as the character is proactive in some way, just no more Mobius 1 type character. I think I would most likely want 2, give us a really good fleshed out character with a good voice actor.

To all people who think dogfight mode is ass, just look at this and see how grand it would be if you could re-play the original games with it available.

Pixy vs Cipher

Yellow 13 vs Mobius 1

It would be pure ecstasy and you know it!

AmyS

Zero on day Zero, come at me, bro!

Zero still has the best trailer though, doesn't it?

Yep, Zero had my favorite trailer, it's definitely the best. The Unsung War had my second favorite trailer. I love both but Zero edges it out.

As far as gameplay, mission variety, etc, visual enjoyment (replays etc) The Unsung War is my favorite.

For size and scope of the battlefield, Ace Combat 6 was the most impressive, given that it was the first AC game on an HD console.

That said, I've loved the franchise from the beginning, and I mean the very first game.

usjleq3.jpg

mcz117chief

I hope they include some carrier/base landings for refueling and rearming.

"Pilots, check your plane and prepare for refueling."

"500 yards to go."

"200 yards to go."

"100 yards to go."

"50 yards to go."

"You're pretty good, Blaze! Commencing refueling."

I can go with either as long as the character is proactive in some way, just no more Mobius 1 type character. I think I would most likely want 2, give us a really good fleshed out character with a good voice actor.

To all people who think dogfight mode is ass, just look at this and see how grand it would be if you could re-play the original games with it available.

Pixy vs Cipher

Yellow 13 vs Mobius 1

It would be pure ecstasy and you know it!

No, it won't, but thanks anyway...

Randam

Yes if you have a stupidly powerful CPU, like a heavily overclocked i7.

even then you will have a lot of bugs.
or did something change in the last few months?

never even know Ace Combat games have stories or have scifi element to it. which AC considered to have the best story? I'd like to see if I can hunt the game down and try it for myself. I still have my PS2 if needed.

get all 3.

4, 5 and Zero.
all of them a great games.

Top Bottom