• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown |OT| Yo, buddy...still alive?

A.Romero

Is there any more interesting flight combat game on PC ?

Would like to know more of those

All my life Ace Combat is all i ever play

Hope Ubisoft steps up and make another HAWX game

There are many but they are not modern. It's a genre that has been neglegected for a while.

There are space combat sims, though. For example Strike Suit Zero which has a good arcade feeling.

petran79

Banned
Preordered full game on Steam. Havent played any game of such scale. Hope for a user made ultrawidescreen patch.
Though I hoped someone would make something similar with Area 88 as well

There are many but they are not modern. It's a genre that has been neglegected for a while.

There are space combat sims, though. For example Strike Suit Zero which has a good arcade feeling.

X franchise also has arcade combat in space battles

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Yeah and Strike Suit Zero is pretty old at this point too. :-/

mcz117chief

Oh my. Seeing Ace Combat: Unsung War on my PS4 dashboard made me yell out "Yeah, boy! W00000000000AH!" I am honestly much more excited to play Ace Combat 5 than 7 :D :D :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wrote the review for Eurogamer for this one! First time doing a review. :-D

It is Xbox X enhanced for sure. Just not to the degree you might hope for.

It would be interesting to talk to the developers. Xbox One X has a higher clocked CPU so any lower efficiency on draw calls cost, virtualisation of CPU and GPU cost, etc... should be nullified compared to PS4 Pro. Bandwidth is higher and shading processing performance is also way higher and you have more faster memory to play with. The only areas PS4 Pro comes up ahead on are higher ROP count (faster alpha effects, shadow pass rendering, etc... going above what the bandwidth can actually support before taking optimistic delta color compression rates) and TMU’s and some of the advancements they received from Polaris and especially Vega: primitive discard accelerator, double rate half floats, etc... Namco being assisted by Sony or just decided to actual take those features for a spin?

The very small resolution difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro and the much much more solid frame rate... is it really just a CPU difference? Then it would hardly explain, beside “lazy devs lullolol”, why the Xbox One X is not just 99.85% of the time 60 FPS like PS4 Pro but 100% of the time 60 FPS instead.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh my. Seeing Ace Combat: Unsung War on my PS4 dashboard made me yell out "Yeah, boy! W00000000000AH!" I am honestly much more excited to play Ace Combat 5 than 7 :D:D:D

How do you download AC 5?

From code in the paper? How long does the code last/expires?

Shin

Banned
AC7 Pet Doge <3
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/angriestpat/clip/MistyWanderingVampirePanicBasket

Last edited:

DryvBy

My retailer sent me a code yesterday with the DLC stuff. I have been playing 5 all day, don't plan to touch 7 until I finish it.

Bruh, just buy from local retailers if possible to avoid all this hassle next time.

This is my first issue with Amazon. They're suggesting I return the game and rebuy it just to get the promotion, which is the most idiotic solution ever. It would help if they didn't out source their chat too.

Iorv3th

Mission 6 I hate you. I can not get past this mission on Normal difficulty. Been playing it for hours. Closest I got was 700 points away.

ToadMan

Mission 6 I hate you. I can not get past this mission on Normal difficulty. Been playing it for hours. Closest I got was 700 points away.

I used the A10 for that with the 4 AGM special. Still took a few attempts though.

Cleaned out the airfield (including the fighters) then the smaller group of units to the west and then the large pack in the east. Make runs at the edge of the target area - kill a few break off, and come Back in.

If you overfly the target areas direct the SAMs will cause problems so turn away after you’ve fired your Missiles and prioritise SAMs and AA guns.

You can actually fly out from the target area (go all the way west) land and rearm and repair. I passed that mission without doing that in the end but the previous attempt I did do that.

I used the A10 for that with the 4 AGM special. Still took a few attempts though.

Cleaned out the airfield (including the fighters) then the smaller group of units to the west and then the large pack in the east. Make runs at the edge of the target area - kill a few break off, and come Back in.

If you overfly the target areas direct the SAMs will cause problems so turn away after you’ve fired your Missiles and prioritise SAMs and AA guns.

You can actually fly out from the target area (go all the way west) land and rearm and repair. I passed that mission without doing that in the end but the previous attempt I did do that.
I second this. Just passed on hard and was a bitch. Played some MP to rake in some easy cash to unlock some special weapon boosts as well.

Iorv3th

I finally beat it. Didn't think about unlocking the A-10 should have. I will re-do the mission later with the A10 just to see how different it is.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It is Xbox X enhanced for sure. Just not to the degree you might hope for.
No, it has the exact same settings between the two console formats. The One X is simply better at keeping it at the max of the variable framerate. The PC version should be much better.

No, it has the exact same settings between the two console formats. The One X is simply better at keeping it at the max of the variable framerate. The PC version should be much better.
No. Xbox One OG/S is 720p. Xbox One X is 1080p.
Of course PC can be better is you have the hardware to do so.

dark10x

Xbox One base is 720p and not dynamic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Xbox One base is 720p and not dynamic.

Have you benched the non S Xbox One model? It would be interesting to see what the clock speed bump in the One S is doing for frame rate and see the experience that the bulk of initial users would be getting.

dark10x

Have you benched the non S Xbox One model? It would be interesting to see what the clock speed bump in the One S is doing for frame rate and see the experience that the bulk of initial users would be getting.
I’ve only benched the S. Probably worse on the regular one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’ve only benched the S. Probably worse on the regular one.
Btw, the tech coverage, found it fair and honest btw, pushed some people over into getting it (very nice game indeed) ;).

A bit OT, but you should try the Dragon’s Lair Trilogy on Switch... quality of the video is actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
That first mission as spare 15, shooting down the bombers. I am constantly failing with 2 or 3 bombers left. I am about to break the disc in half, lol.

Iorv3th

That first mission as spare 15, shooting down the bombers. I am constantly failing with 2 or 3 bombers left. I am about to break the disc in half, lol.

Game is extremely tough. A lot harder than I remember AC being. These damn ground missions are destroying me.

No experience with the franchise but I´m considering picking it up solely on account of the soundtrack. Been listening to it all day and its pretty damn smokin´.

Waiting for the PC release is killing. Game sounds truly great
It really is great and I've been overly hyped for AC7 since they announced years ago. It was worth the wait! Now if damn gamestop would get my sticks sent out that I've had ordered since early December, that would be nice. Has great controller feels, but there's nothing like a cold hard stick in your hands. Wait...um...nah...I'm sticking with that statement. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

V4skunk

Banned
It really is great and I've been overly hyped for AC7 since they announced years ago. It was worth the wait! Now if damn gamestop would get my sticks sent out that I've had ordered since early December, that would be nice. Has great controller feels, but there's nothing like a cold hard stick in your hands. Wait...um...nah...I'm sticking with that statement. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Getting a stick is just a waste of money.

Last edited:
Getting a stick is just a waste of money.
Naw. I love playing with flight stick and throttle. Better immersion and I'm much more accurate when using them due to my old days of Falcon sims on PC. Makes it easier for me to switch targets and spam guns as well.

Javthusiast

Banned
Also on mission 6 here. Fuck my life. It said in the beginning, normal is for experienced Ace players, but no, I said I can do it. xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom