• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown |OT| Yo, buddy...still alive?

JohannCK

Looks like Ace 5 stuff (the thing about 2020 is about when the details on the events of Ace 5 are revealed to the public) is going to be relevant in the DLC missions, huh.

Also I guess the DLC missions won't be out till next year. Ah well, not like there's a lack of stuff to play for the remainder of this year.

Barnabot

"ACE COMBAT has always featured over-the-top missions & bosses and the next batch of heart-pounding missions are no exception! Packed with explosive action, ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN DLC mission, “Unexpected Visitor” arrives September 25, 2019."

I've been building a collection of games for the PSVR and this game has piqued my interest. How are the VR missions, worth the price of admission?

Cravis

I've been building a collection of games for the PSVR and this game has piqued my interest. How are the VR missions, worth the price of admission?
They are short and easy but totally worth it for the experience alone. Probably one of the coolest VR experiences I have had. When I took the headset off I felt like my equilibrium was off and had to adjust back to being on the ground lol

thequestion

Never played them myself but people say they are very short and easy, definitely not worth it just for that.

There’s only 3 VR missions that I’m aware of, but they are fun. (That first moment, when you enter the cockpit and take off into the sky, is incredible - one of the best VR experiences) The main game is fun too, so I feel it’s worth the purchase.

Aggelos

OST incoming.... 6 discs of epicness!

88978-1573616989.png

Last edited:

mcz117chief

OST incoming.... 6 discs of epicness!
OST in 7 isn't particularly memorable though. It would be awesome if they released the soundtrack from all the previous games, you got some amazing tunes from 4 and up, examples:
Ace Combat 4 = Stardust
Ace Combat 5 = The Unsung War
Ace Combat 0 = Zero
Ace Combat 6 = The Liberation of Gracemeria
Ace Combat X = Alect Squadron
Ace Combat Assault Horizon = Dogfight

I can't remember a single music piece from 7.

molasar

Banned
OST in 7 isn't particularly memorable though. It would be awesome if they released the soundtrack from all the previous games, you got some amazing tunes from 4 and up, examples:
Ace Combat 4 = Stardust
Ace Combat 5 = The Unsung War
Ace Combat 0 = Zero
Ace Combat 6 = The Liberation of Gracemeria
Ace Combat X = Alect Squadron
Ace Combat Assault Horizon = Dogfight

I can't remember a single music piece from 7.
Two most memorable tracks to me from AC7 are Daredevil and Space Elevator but nothing in the series beats music from AC:AH.

AC7's music is amazing.
The soundtrack of this series shits on pretty much the entire gaming industry.
I agree to disagree.
Let's do a comparison with game series like Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid.

Shifty1897

Yo I saw this game on DF best of the year. Looks amazing! Might have to check it out.
I have never bought an Ace Combat before and I pre-ordered 7 on PlayStation 4 to get the free copy of Ace Combat 5. Both blew me away, the story is stronger in 5, but the music, graphics, and gameplay are better in 7. Either way, I was surprised to find myself reinstalling it every three months or so to try and S Rank some more missions or to try a Hard difficulty campaign run. If I have to rank it, it'd be my number 3 game of the year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ace Combat 7 out on Gamepass

Xbox Game Pass: March 2020 Out Now On Xbox One And PC
The new Game Pass games include Ace Combat 7, The Surge 2, and others.
By Steven T. Wright | @MadCathedral on March 23, 2020 at 1:45PM PDT

Game Pass for Xbox One
  • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown -- out now
  • Kona -- out now
  • The Surge 2 -- out now
  • Bleeding Edge -- March 24
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid -- March 26
Game Pass for PC
  • Astrologaster -- coming soon
  • Bleeding Edge -- coming soon
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid -- coming soon
  • The Surge 2 -- out now

Last edited:

Barnabot

Bought this last week on a deal.

How does it compare to After Burner?
i plays like a dream,

you have f-14, f15, f-18, f-22, gripen and the sukhoi family. 3 awacs and one of them place bets on you dying during missions, threatens to throw anyone who disagrees with him to the solitary. just the coolest awacs ever.

you also have one of the most underrated ost from 2019 that makes you feels like a boss while you are playing the game.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Bought this last week on a deal.

How does it compare to After Burner?
Both are great for different reasons. Which Afterburner are we talking though? Climax? Climax is just one game, although legendary, while on the other hand Ace Combat is a huge series with each game having it's strengths and weaknesses. 7 has pretty graphics but other than that it is inferior to previous titles. 5 has the best story. 0 has the most memorable characters. 6 has an amazing "allied assault" system. When it comes to raw gameplay most Ace Combat games are similar (2,4,5,0,X,6,7) with a few playing a bit differently (most notably 3 and Assault Horizon).

Just the coolest awacs ever.
That's Oka Nieba

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
This game took me by surprise, it's so smooth to fly over the clouds and dive back under again, can't get enough of it. Do the older ones still hold up? I was thinking about getting 6.

Barnabot

This game took me by surprise, it's so smooth to fly over the clouds and dive back under again, can't get enough of it. Do the older ones still hold up? I was thinking about getting 6.
get zero instead, it's the best one. take it as someone who played every ac and bought that one with such low expectations.

Bragr

Banned
get zero instead, it's the best one. take it as someone who played every ac and bought that one with such low expectations.
Can you get that on the current consoles though? I don't wanna plug up my old consoles again, but Ace Combat 6 I can get on Xbox One.

Ailike

Can you get that on the current consoles though? I don't wanna plug up my old consoles again, but Ace Combat 6 I can get on Xbox One.
If you cant get 5/Zero as nothing will beat those stories and it comes down to 6 or 7, just get 7. The stories and gameplay are on par, but 7 just looks so damn good.

Both are great for different reasons. Which Afterburner are we talking though? Climax? Climax is just one game, although legendary, while on the other hand Ace Combat is a huge series with each game having it's strengths and weaknesses. 7 has pretty graphics but other than that it is inferior to previous titles. 5 has the best story. 0 has the most memorable characters. 6 has an amazing "allied assault" system. When it comes to raw gameplay most Ace Combat games are similar (2,4,5,0,X,6,7) with a few playing a bit differently (most notably 3 and Assault Horizon).

I played them all really. I was wondering what makes the Ace Combat series different.

Ah, so 7 isn't seen as good as 5 or 0? Damn, I may have to look back at these games and try them out! Thanks!

mcz117chief

I played them all really. I was wondering what makes the Ace Combat series different.

Ah, so 7 isn't seen as good as 5 or 0? Damn, I may have to look back at these games and try them out! Thanks!
It's just my opinion though. 7 felt really flat and uninteresting to me. I have spent way more time playing the HD Ace Combat 5 that came with it on PS4.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm a big fan of the series and can say that 7 is worth it, specially at the discount price.

It might not be the pinnacle in emotional stories but I think presentation compensates pretty well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shit. Got to get back to this game. Only played the first two missions.

Either this game is harder than I think, or my flying skills suck since AC: Assault Horizon.

These starting planes sure have a lot of sway when turning.

Miles708

Shit. Got to get back to this game. Only played the first two missions.

Either this game is harder than I think, or my flying skills suck since AC: Assault Horizon.

These starting planes sure have a lot of sway when turning.

Don't feel alone in your troubles, I've even opened a thread about how much i sucked at this game.
Personally I've seen some improvement (I still suck) when I've understood that:
  1. often it's easier to ignore enemy aircrafts and just avoid the missiles, to don't lose too much time
  2. the radar is there to be actually used
  3. There's an official guide to the basic manouvers, that proved invaluable to enter in the right mindset the game requires. I've linked those guides in this post.
Especially #3, those are vital info that the game expects you to know on your own, for some reason. The game would have benefitted of some kind of dogfight manouvering and positioning tutorals.

Last edited:

Komatsu

It's just my opinion though. 7 felt really flat and uninteresting to me. I have spent way more time playing the HD Ace Combat 5 that came with it on PS4.

5 is undoubtedly the high point of the franchise, but 7 is an amazing game and the DLC missions are absolutely fantastic. Project Aces struggled to get 7 out of the gate and Kono had to cut a lot of content. The DLC missions had the appropriate time and budget allocated and it shows. One in particular is very reminiscent of the Scinfaxi mission in 5.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m not really one for dogfight games, but after playing some space battles in Battlefront and seeing the excitement here, I’m going to try this game on Gamepass.

Thanks for the heads up.

Komatsu

I’m not really one for dogfight games, but after playing some space battles in Battlefront and seeing the excitement here, I’m going to try this game on Gamepass.

Do it. Ace Combat is the Metal Gear Solid of the skies - cheesy technothrillers on top of a genre game.

Naked Lunch

5 is undoubtedly the high point of the franchise, but 7 is an amazing game and the DLC missions are absolutely fantastic. Project Aces struggled to get 7 out of the gate and Kono had to cut a lot of content. The DLC missions had the appropriate time and budget allocated and it shows. One in particular is very reminiscent of the Scinfaxi mission in 5.
Ace Combat Zero completely destroys AC5. Zero's dog fighting bosses sections should have been the template moving forward for the series. I found AC5 by the numbers and very very easy. A more casual friendly AC. Id even put AC4 over 5. Regardless, AC 4, 5, 6, and Zero are all amazing games and I can't believe they haven't remastered them yet.

Im stuck replaying them on PS2 and its 480i output which looks awful on HDTVs no matter which upscale device I use - and AC 6 only runs at 30fps on 360/XB1. There's hope the XSX will upgrade the framerate to some BC titles.

jigglet

Banned
Just bought this on Steam, M&KB support is terrible. I'm trying to use M&KB more as I have hand injuries that makes it more comfortable for me. Instant refund.

JohannCK

Ace Combat Zero completely destroys AC5. Zero's dog fighting bosses sections should have been the template moving forward for the series. I found AC5 by the numbers and very very easy. A more casual friendly AC. Id even put AC4 over 5. Regardless, AC 4, 5, 6, and Zero are all amazing games and I can't believe they haven't remastered them yet.

Im stuck replaying them on PS2 and its 480i output which looks awful on HDTVs no matter which upscale device I use - and AC 6 only runs at 30fps on 360/XB1. There's hope the XSX will upgrade the framerate to some BC titles.
Kouno said on Twitter last year that there are issues that make it so that they can't sell remasters of the old games. It's also why the codes for 5 and 6 that came with 7 expired so fast.

He didn't elaborate but people who know better than me say that it might be have to do with the licensing of the planes.

He's also said on Twitter that they have no intention of doing remakes because making just one might jeopardise the entire series (again, no further elaboration).

In any case he pretty much said that they're only going to keep moving forward and aren't going to do anything with the older games.

Top Bottom