• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

So conflicted right now. Get this now, or wait till the new Asus Rog Swift 4k IPS.

I have a feeling the new Asus will be over a grand.

From someone jumping from 1080p, is 1440p a big visual upgrade?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So conflicted right now. Get this now, or wait till the new Asus Rog Swift 4k IPS.

I have a feeling the new Asus will be over a grand.

From someone jumping from 1080p, is 1440p a big visual upgrade?

I come from a 1080p screen and yes, 1440p is definitely a very good visual upgrade.

I tried a friend's 4k screen before buying this one, but I did not want to make that jump, mostly because of the 60Hz limit, but also because 1440p is still quite a good upgrade.

Excited about G-Sync/FreeSync monitors in general & this looks like the best one yet. But Newegg reviews seem to indicate early units of this model may have high rates of stuck pixel problems...so gotta wait until its in stock at Amazon & buy with Prime.

The price is also close to being a deal breaker. I'm way past the point of being willing to pay $750 - $1000 for a gaming monitor like I did back in the day. Price is somewhat understandable since its the only IPS, 144Hz, 1440p model out there right now & Acer is going to milk that premium until there's some competition.

Prices should start coming down appreciably over the next year when newer models pop up...but not sure I can wait that long! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good Black Friday deal & at least consider picking one up if there's a $100 price drop down to, say $650 or so...

Fake Edit: BenQ has their new 1440P, 144Hz FreeSync monitor available for pre-order on Amazon at the same ~$750 price point. I'm equally curious about FreeSync & the model looks great. But... its a TN panel. I have 2 monitors with TN panels: one is a 24" 2010 Samsung that is pretty good if you're sitting directly in front of it but viewing angles are terrible. Its been demoted to office duty. My other TN panel is a 27" 2012 Planar thats pretty darn good, noticable improvement over the Samsung in color vividness/contrast...but viewing angles are still poor & still looks washed out compared to IPS. I have (5) 20" Dell 2007 IPS models used on workstations in my home office & a 30" 2007 Dell IPS thats still my primary gaming monitor (though I also use the Planar for gaming). Basically, to my eyes TN just doesn't compare well to IPS. So unless these newest top end TN panels have made huge leaps in image quality the past couple years I'll probably avoid any TN models. There's just no way I'd ever pay the same premium for a TN panel as I would for an IPS unless something has changed. I imagine that BenQ is going to need to drop in price fast unless there are other perceptible advantages. TN has traditionally had better refresh rates but from what I understand I don't think that's as much of a factor anymore.

Perhaps someone who has experience comparing one of the recent top end TN panels to this Acer IPS can elabororate?

sk3tch

Ignore the quality control-related issues and just purchase it from somewhere with the good return policy (Acer store online, Amazon, NewEgg, MicroCenter, etc.). People that are having a perfect experience with their monitor won't be posting a review (or are unlikely to)...and it is a $800 monitor so you're going to have more vocal, unhappy people versus your average $150 monitor.

It's worth the gamble. Very worth it.

xelloss12

Excited about G-Sync/FreeSync monitors in general & this looks like the best one yet. But Newegg reviews seem to indicate early units of this model may have high rates of stuck pixel problems...so gotta wait until its in stock at Amazon & buy with Prime.

The price is also close to being a deal breaker. I'm way past the point of being willing to pay $750 - $1000 for a gaming monitor like I did back in the day. Price is somewhat understandable since its the only IPS, 144Hz, 1440p model out there right now & Acer is going to milk that premium until there's some competition.

Prices should start coming down appreciably over the next year when newer models pop up...but not sure I can wait that long! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good Black Friday deal & at least consider picking one up if there's a $100 price drop down to, say $650 or so...

Fake Edit: BenQ has their new 1440P, 144Hz FreeSync monitor available for pre-order on Amazon at the same ~$750 price point. I'm equally curious about FreeSync & the model looks great. But... its a TN panel. I have 2 monitors with TN panels: one is a 24" 2010 Samsung that is pretty good if you're sitting directly in front of it but viewing angles are terrible. Its been demoted to office duty. My other TN panel is a 27" 2012 Planar thats pretty darn good, noticable improvement over the Samsung in color vividness/contrast...but viewing angles are still poor & still looks washed out compared to IPS. I have (5) 20" Dell 2007 IPS models used on workstations in my home office & a 30" 2007 Dell IPS thats still my primary gaming monitor (though I also use the Planar for gaming). Basically, to my eyes TN just doesn't compare well to IPS. So unless these newest top end TN panels have made huge leaps in image quality the past couple years I'll probably avoid any TN models. There's just no way I'd ever pay the same premium for a TN panel as I would for an IPS unless something has changed. I imagine that BenQ is going to need to drop in price fast unless there are other perceptible advantages. TN has traditionally had better refresh rates but from what I understand I don't think that's as much of a factor anymore.

Perhaps someone who has experience comparing one of the recent top end TN panels to this Acer IPS can elabororate?

If you want another IPS 1440p 144hz freesync monitor option, you might want to wait for me the Asus MG279Q and see how that is.

Daverid

Still waiting to hear news on this screen being in Australia.

The AU price is solid, and I've been passing on many screens in the last year to hold off for a 1440p/G-Sync/IPS/120Hz+ screen, so I just really hope this thing reaches our stupid Island before Witcher 3.

Techreport said in their Podcast that the low frame rate disadvantage is overstated. They are going to post a very detailed report on that soon, so I guess we'll see.

Maybe but the issue of ghosting when freesync is enabled is unnaceptable for me at this price range.

If you want another IPS 1440p 144hz freesync monitor option, you might want to wait for me the Asus MG279Q and see how that is.

Maybe but the issue of ghosting when freesync is enabled is unnaceptable for me at this price range.

So, FreeSync has a possible disadvantage at low fps and a verified ghosting problem? I'm going to have to dig into both technologies a bit before I make a purchase decision.

Side Note: I dislike the current state of being locked into one brand of GPU by virtue of an expensive monitor purchase. It partly makes me want to hold off until the industry settles on one or the other.

10% code SeizeTheIdea still works on Acer's page even though more stock isn't coming until the end of the month. About to pull the trigger there because Amazon seems to be taking their sweet time getting these.

Jimrpg

Still waiting to hear news on this screen being in Australia.

The AU price is solid, and I've been passing on many screens in the last year to hold off for a 1440p/G-Sync/IPS/120Hz+ screen, so I just really hope this thing reaches our stupid Island before Witcher 3.

Email Pccasegear. They said they want to get the screen but no idea when.

Otherwise you can try Amazon they don't have the monitor yet, but they ship to Australia.

prophecy0

10% code SeizeTheIdea still works on Acer's page even though more stock isn't coming until the end of the month. About to pull the trigger there because Amazon seems to be taking their sweet time getting these.

Gah this is so tempting. I'm currently gaming on a VG236H and I've been itching to upgrade for some time, but I just don't know that I can justify the expenditure. The "reasonable" side of me wants wait another year or so and see if competition heats up and prices go down.

Daverid

Email Pccasegear. They said they want to get the screen but no idea when.

Otherwise you can try Amazon they don't have the monitor yet, but they ship to Australia.

I actually checked Amazon and they wouldn't ship this one to AU. Although considering some of the issues people are having with the panel, I want to buy local regardless, and strangely enough due to the current shitty dollar, it's actually cheaper to buy this one local than to import.

Apparently someone already emailed Acer and they simply said "Q2 2015" for AU (PCCG just said they'll put pre-orders when they get more info). Although what is most concerning is that the XB280HK has been available in the US since Q4 2014 and it STILL isn't found anywhere in Aus. Sooo I'm a little worried about this one taking forever to reach us also.

Cheers though. I'm hoping for the best, but it's looking iffy at this point.

Not going to happen. As long as this technology is only in gaming oriented screens noone will make 16:10

Also very interesting article on how Acer operates in low fps situations:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ

If we add this plus the recent freesync ghosting gate it seems like price premium on g-sync panels is justified.

Oh wow, I had no idea that Gsync operated in that way below 30hz, the information I had read was that it was essentially switched off. In reality it's still doing it's thing just with double the refresh rate of your target framerate. That should make a huge difference. It essentially goes into "console mode" under 30hz, which is a fantastic solution.

Durante

Oh wow, I had no idea that Gsync operated in that way below 30hz, the information I had read was that it was essentially switched off. In reality it's still doing it's thing just with double the refresh rate of your target framerate. That should make a huge difference. It essentially goes into "console mode" under 30hz, which is a fantastic solution.
Yeah, I actually didn't know that either. Very nice.

I don't really get why you call it "console mode" though, since consoles don't have a way to adapt display refresh to framerate?

Jimrpg

I actually checked Amazon and they wouldn't ship this one to AU. Although considering some of the issues people are having with the panel, I want to buy local regardless, and strangely enough due to the current shitty dollar, it's actually cheaper to buy this one local than to import.

Apparently someone already emailed Acer and they simply said "Q2 2015" for AU (PCCG just said they'll put pre-orders when they get more info). Although what is most concerning is that the XB280HK has been available in the US since Q4 2014 and it STILL isn't found anywhere in Aus. Sooo I'm a little worried about this one taking forever to reach us also.

Cheers though. I'm hoping for the best, but it's looking iffy at this point.

Try again when Amazon puts their page back up. When I first tried it wouldn't ship to Malaysia (where I stay currently) or Australia (my first home). A day later it said it did ship to Malaysia and Australia and I ordered one (to Malaysia).

Btw Newegg ships to Australia too.

Yeah a lot of places don't stock Acer monitors... maybe PC shops aren't really familiar with all the latest monitors technology. In Malaysia the choice of 144hz monitors is literally down to either the Rog Swift or BenQ Z-series monitors.

Kvik

Btw Newegg ships to Australia too.

Not for this one, unfortunately.

acerxb.png

What are the chances of MSY stocking this one? It helps that I have a store near where I live.

rickdmer

Neo Member
Got mine in from Newegg today. Looks like there's a piece of dust or something stuck under the panel. Going to RMA and try again.

xqSfTzDh.jpg

Dries

Guys, how long is the DisplayPort cable that comes packed with the monitor? I'm scared it won't be long enough and I'll need to buy a longer 3rd party cable.

Got mine in from Newegg today. Looks like there's a piece of dust or something stuck under the panel. Going to RMA and try again.

xqSfTzDh.jpg

Had the same thing happen to me with another monitor. If you have not RMA it already try getting a suction cup and pulling back a bit on the screen and then lightly tap the monitor. There is a good chance you can free the piece of dust to make it fall down to where you can not see it anymore.

d0g_bear

canadacomputers.com has it for only 900 canadian right now - that's only 730 USD given our shitty dollar. That store has brick and mortar locations so you can return pretty easily if it's got stuck pixels.

Since the whole G-Sync/FreeSync thing is all the rage right now, I thought about starting a new thread for this review, but figured I'd put it here first

http://techreport.com/review/28073/.../28073/benq-xl2730z-freesync-monitor-reviewed

Looks like a possibly solid FreeSync alternative selling for $599 on Newegg right now. Newegg reviews indicate it's pretty great (keeping in mind the limitations of even the best TN panel).

I'm not a fan of TN if I have the option of an IPS at the same price...and I think most would agree with that. So, when the ASUS MG279Q (IPS) comes out at $599 I'm guessing this BenQ will have to drop its price by $100 real quick. That ASUS in particular looks very promising since it has the exact same AOC panel as the Acer XB270HU, but costs $200 less right out of the gate. Assuming this BenQ drops in price another $100 or so it'll become a good value option for someone who wants a new Adaptive Sync monitor, doesn't care about it being IPS, and doesn't want to pay fhe premium for G-Sync.

One of the main things I'm trying to do is suss out the details on the actual, noticable differences between G-Sync & FreeSync. This review is well done & strongly indicates the differences between the two techs & the talked about disadvantages of FreeSync are greatly exaggerated.

A couple interesting points from the summary:

"Spending time with a FreeSync monitor and walking through the gauntlet of supposed issues has crystallized my thoughts about some things. AMD and its partners have succeeded in bringing variable refresh technology to market using an open, collaborative approach. The concerns we've seen raised about niggling problems with FreeSync displays in specific cases, such as low-FPS scenarios and ghosting, are really nibbling around the edges."

"...the BenQ XL2730Z is good enough that I think it's time for the rest of the industry to step up and support the VESA standard for variable refresh rates...there is no technical reason why today's GeForce GPUs can't support variable refresh on Adaptive-Sync displays. All it would take is a driver update. If Nvidia really believes G-Sync offers compelling advantages over Adaptive-Sync, it should show that faith by supporting both display types going forward. Let consumers choose."

Overall: this BenQ monitor looks fantastic for a TN. Personally I'll only buy IPS panels at this point, so am eagerly awaiting a review of the Asus MG279Q. But, this review definitely solidifies in my mind that all the talk about how bad FreeSync is compared to G-Sync is mostly hyperbole.

Durante

I really don't see why you would buy one of these (considerably expensive) monitors and then settle for one which features ghosting in variable refresh mode or doesn't deal with frame times greater than the lower bound as well as possible.

Basically, I'd happily pay €100 on top of a €650 monitor to go from "good enough" to "perfect".

I really don't see why you would buy one of these (considerably expensive) monitors and then settle for one which features ghosting in variable refresh mode or doesn't deal with frame times greater than the lower bound as well as possible.

Basically, I'd happily pay €100 on top of a €650 monitor to go from "good enough" to "perfect".

My thoughts too until I actually read the review and looked at the differences with my own eyes. I suppose everyone will have a different tolerance for what they consider good/bad/perfect. But for some, they simply won't be able to afford an extra $200...it will be out of their budget. Not everyone has the financial means that a lot of us in here have to afford spending money on what are essentially adult toys. ;) Anywho, I do agree with your sentiment to a degree. However, I also think the reviewer makes a great point that some of the niggling issues with FreeSync are panel dependant and/or may be fixable with new drivers and/or firmware. I also strongly agree nVidia should enable FreeSync on their GPUs and let consumers decide. I own primarily nVidia GPUs right now but I *strongly* dislike being tied to one GPU because of a monitor purchase. I want to be able to switch to an AMD GPU if I so choose and use it on my VRR monitor without having to buy another monitor.....

traveler

Not Wario

Didn't think you were a big IPS fan- what changed your tune with this one specifically? Specs too good to ignore or does it actually perform well in the areas where IPSes usually struggle?

Didn't think you were a big IPS fan- what changed your tune with this one specifically? Specs too good to ignore or does it actually perform well in the areas where IPSes usually struggle?

probably because theres no va high refresh gsync panels on the horizon

Durante

I'm not a big IPS fan. The contrast ratio and black level on this one is good for an IPS, but still shitty in general. It's just too good in pretty much everything else, and I believe that there won't be an equivalent package out with a VA panel in quite a while.

If there is, than I'll just have to eat the cost, sell this one and get the VA.

What do you think the chances are of a 4k version of this monitor coming out, with 120hz at 4k support?

That would turn this into a must buy for me. Go big or go home I say.

The plus of having a 4k mointor is that it scales well with 1080p. And if a new game refuses to run well at 1440p or 4k, then you can jsut go down to bog standard 1080p without bad scaling. It sounds like a great win/ compromise to me.

What do you think the chances are of a 4k version of this monitor coming out, with 120hz at 4k support?

That would turn this into a must buy for me. Go big or go home I say.

The plus of having a 4k mointor is that it scales well with 1080p. And if a new game refuses to run well at 1440p or 4k, then you can jsut go down to bog standard 1080p without bad scaling. It sounds like a great win/ compromise to me.

Do we even have connectors on GPUs/Monitors capable of the bandwidth required 4k 120Hz?

jiggles

Banned
I begrudgingly bought mine from OCUK instead of Scan, where I usually shop, because they had marked it as due in stock on the 14th vs Scan's 21st. But now they've changed to match the later date and I'm a annoyed that they took the money right away when I ordered nearly two weeks ago.

Thinking of moving my order now, but not sure where else to look. I could go with Scan as usual, but I'd be pushing myself to the back of the queue.

Any suggestions in the UK?

Do we even have connectors on GPUs/Monitors capable of the bandwidth required 4k 120Hz?
Yeah, Dp 1.3 as far as I know.
I believe DisplayPort 1.3 support 4k 120hz, but I don't think there is currently anything that uses it. That should only be a matter of time though.
Does the Titan X support DP 1.3? Do any Video Cards support it?

4K for older content at 120 hz sounds really great. Newer games being at 60... or droppnig to 1080p in the worst case scenario is fine by me.

Need to wait for DisplayPort 1.3 scalers, and some months after that for Nvidia and/or monitor makers to implement it
I think it will happen, but I guess not anytime soon. The only announced 4k DP 1.3 monitor has been delayed to Q2, and it doesn't support variable refresh
Does the Titan X support DP 1.3? Do any Video Cards support it?
No. None yet.

Top Bottom