• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

sk3tch

Got mine today. The long and short of it: it is incredible. Everything that the reviews have said...it's really a great, great monitor. No quality control issues or dead pixels that I can see. Been using it for about 2 hours.

bigb0ss

Banned
Got mine today. The long and short of it: it is incredible. Everything that the reviews have said...it's really a great, great monitor. No quality control issues or dead pixels that I can see. Been using it for about 2 hours.

How's the coating on this panel? Does it make the picture dull? I'm used to plasma TVs and glossy IPS btw.

sk3tch

How's the coating on this panel? Does it make the picture dull? I'm used to plasma TVs and glossy IPS btw.

Sorry - I'm not a good person to ask (maybe).

I only use plasma TVs.

My prior monitors were all BenQ 120Hz (XL2420T and XL2420TX) or 144Hz G-SYNC (XL2420G - still have it).

My gaming laptop is an ASUS G751 with G-SYNC IPS.

With all of that said: screen looks beautiful. Nothing dull about it. Incredibly vibrant. This thing is perfect in my eyes. It has only been a few hours. Will be gaming more later tonight. But zero issues thus far. Incredibly happy. It's a bit pricey (cost me around $810 out the door with tax and shipping from Acer) but I can't imagine there is a better gaming monitor out there.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Got mine last week, this screen is really incredible, the coating is not glossy and not dull, kinda in-between, the image is so soft compared to my other screens, they look grainy.
It has great colors and contrasts.

G-Sync is really great, I can't go back to v-sync now.

Also, going from 1080p to 1440p is something, I did not want to go straight to 4k, but game's image quality is noticeable.

I did some photos trying to show the coating, but cameras can't get it well :

Left, my old dull screen, right, Acer HB270HU

Dries

Ordered an ROG Swift, but canceled that straight away when I found out about this screen. Now I'm gonna get one of these. Can't wait to see the power of IPS for myself!

It's aa still that necessary going to 1440p 27 inch from a 24 inch 1080p monitor? Or is that kind of the same as 1080p with 4x aa?

Well I guess a better question to ask is if 1440p 27 inch compensates for the 1080p 4x AA usage on a 24 inch monitor and if so,is it more demanding?

Wallach

Really tempted to upgrade from my ASUS MX279H. It's a lot of cash, but it is tax season...

Do you think a GTX 970 is enough to handle 1440p? I may wait until the next GPU upgrade I do, just to let the cost of this technology come down some.

Got mine last week, this screen is really incredible, the coating is not glossy and not dull, kinda in-between, the image is so soft compared to my other screens, they look grainy.

Also, going from 1080p to 1440p is something, I did not want to go straight to 4k, but game's image quality is noticeable.

So where did you end up purchasing the monitor from?

Jezbollah

I'm (hopefully) moving house soon. My mates have the Asus ROG 27". I'm going to buy this ACER as a treat to myself for moving to join the GSYNC club :)

MetalDeer

Not really a fan of how it looks, and for $800, there damn well better be more than just one Displayport on the thing. Good panel or not, if I'm paying that much for a monitor, it better have all the bells and whistles. I guess I'm probably better off just waiting, for now.

Question about the monitor lighting on your left monitor. Does ULMB get rid of that lighting that looks like window blinds?

blinds4.jpg

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Question about the monitor lighting on your left monitor. Does ULMB get rid of that lighting that looks like window blinds?

The monitor on the left does not have ULMB, it's just visible on camera with certain shutter speed, I don't see any flicker.

By the way, it's an Asus VG278H 120Hz (uses PWM backlighting IIRC).

EDIT:

I took some photos, screen set in Standard mode, so brightness is set to 100%.
I locked my phone on ISO 400 and 1/20s exposure time to make lighting constant between photos and not to accentuate the effect, even if it's still more visible in photos than in real life.

While using the screen on web I set brightness to 0% and in game I use the Eco mode that put it to 44% (this mode and the Standard one only changes the brightness).

Front :

Angles :

Over/under :

So I get a little BLB in the bottom right, not a big deal, only visible on some dark scenes.
IPS glow is almost invisible.

Jimrpg

Ordered mine yesterday from Amazon! Estimated delivery May 7th-May22nd.

Fingers crossed it's a decent panel... I don't mind if there's a few dead pixels or a little backlight bleed I just don't want a really really bad one with clusters of dead pixels and completely defective monitor. RMA it would mean another 20 something days lost.

Not really a fan of how it looks, and for $800, there damn well better be more than just one Displayport on the thing. Good panel or not, if I'm paying that much for a monitor, it better have all the bells and whistles. I guess I'm probably better off just waiting, for now.

The reason it has only display port is because of g-sync.

I think they should have included hdmi tho and just turned off g-sync if that's possible (probably not)

ExReey

I wish this monitor never existed.

just when I finally made up my mind about which monitor to buy, this beauty pops up. Now I have to choose between a giant, ultra-sexy (although rather slow) ultra-widescreen beast (the curved 34" LG 34UC97) or an ultra-fast, more normal sized G-sync marvel (Acer XB270HU)...

I just don't know it anymore :)

I guess I can wait for the Acer Predator XR341CK 34" curved G-sync monitor, but I'm pretty sure it will be a TN panel which I hate.

Dries

A lot of consumer reviews for the ASUS ROG Swift on the most popular Dutch electronics site (Tweakers.net) also mentioned dead pixels. Seems that both the ROG Swift and the XB270HU are plauged with QC issues. Hopefully my XB270HU doesn't have any issues. It arrives on the 20th!

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The reason it has only display port is because of g-sync.

I think they should have included hdmi tho and just turned off g-sync if that's possible (probably not)

You need a second set of monitor gubbins to do that. The BenQ XL2420G is the only G-SYNC monitor to do it, AFAIK, and that's why its price is comparatively high for a 1920x1080 screen.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves

Gaah, I want it. Too bad the price is such a turnoff.

Richgard

Neo Member
Is this monitor good for PS4 or just for PC gaming?

It is just for PC users because this generation of consoles can't handel 1440p 144Hz and G-Sync so the Monitors strong points will be useless to the console

if you want an good monitor for your PS4 get something like the Asus MX239H

it is quite nce for an Monitor for console gaming only IPS 1080p 60Hz relative high Pixeldensity on 1080p wich makes the Image Quality seem nicer if you are close to the screen otherwise I would recommend a good TV with fast response times and an good panel

mdzapeer

The BenQ XL2720Z or XL2420Z is the best option for console AND PC gaming on single monitor. Its got a very good scaler,so 720p content also looks really good.

And its the only monitor which does 60hz strobing.

blurbusters.com has more infor on this, I have been using this baby for a few months and its the best monitor I have used since my old CRT.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The BenQ XL2720Z or XL2420Z is the best option for console AND PC gaming on single monitor. Its got a very good scaler,so 720p content also looks really good.

And its the only monitor which does 60hz strobing.

blurbusters.com has more infor on this, I have been using this baby for a few months and its the best monitor I have used since my old CRT.

XL2420G has taken that crown now, I believe.

Durante

The reviews here for the Acer XB270HU on Newegg are making me think twice about even considering it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009742&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Apparently a lot of these come with dead pixels and really bad backlight bleeding :(
That's why I'm waiting to buy it at a retailer with a good return policy.

I'll return it until I get a model I'm satisfied with. I seriously couldn't deal with a dead pixel on my main screen :p

How much is this going for in USD?

Was about to bump up my 5 year old regular 1080p monitor to the ASUS MX279H but a 1440p G-Sync monitor sounds more appealing.

Will this even hit US retailers anytime soon?

d00d3n

I ordered mine yesterday. Will use the generous laws regarding online purchases in Sweden to return the display within 14 days if I get dead pixels.

Oh crap I didn't order from alternate.pl since they send goods from Germany and now they are out of stock while other shops don't have it yet.

And what retailers are those, do you reckon?
Someone on Overclock stated that Microcenter put in an order for the monitor. Guessing it'll be the 2nd batch of these. Not sure when it'll hit though. Best to wait for them to get it though if you rather pick the monitor up in person. Will be easier returning it and exchanging it as well if there's any issues.

UnrealEck

Has anyone tried 1080p content on this badboy? Like running games in 1920x1080 resolution. How does it look? Does it look worse than it would on a native 1080p display?

Top Bottom