• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACG's review PS5 crapped out already

Edgelord79

Gold Member
giphy.gif

/s

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It happens.. a significant number will be outright DOA, even more than that will die fairly quickly.

Within the first year a 5% failure rate is totally normal for electronics. Considering Sony will sell like 10 million units in it's first year, that means by 2022 it would be normal to have 500,000 dead PS5s in the wild.

The internet just multiplies what we hear about these issues..

In the end that's what warranties are for. If something has a major problem, typically companies respond by extending warranties automatically, particularly in the internet age.. that's what MS did with Xbox 360 and it's why a lot of people never abandoned them.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

I hope this is just a fluky unit and this isn't going to become "a thing"

After the RROD with the 360 and the YLOD with the PS3 I'm hoping that the days of common hardware failure are long behind us.

Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? Hopefully this is an anomaly.

That seriously sucks. It's probably just a melon although it makes me a little nervous for my preorder. Hope you get it worked out though as I look forward to your review!

Romulus

To be honest, more consoles are being built this console launch than in decades. People are suckers buying a console right now, too many workers being rushed to get these things to store shelves. Wait another 2 months for the line to slow somewhat.

jaysius

Banned
Talk about burring the real lead here, reviewers are shitting on OTHER reviewers and stymying them from talking about BUGS in GAMES, that is seriously FUCKED UP.

I'm guessing because Sony is helping him out he didn't do a video showing what this dead PS5 actually looks like, and didn't go into details.

This was more of a COYA for why his channel won't have PS5 content on time. So the SDF doesn't shit all over his face for having Series X|S content but no PS5 content.

So it's a semi-missed opportunity here, but he needs to keep his content flowing from Sony in the future.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
All good. Of all the review units out. This is the first one that died.
There will be plenty more when millions are shipped out. Part of owning electronic. That’s why they have warranties 👍🏻

Wait... he's saying that he has had issues that others are having, like Yong... and this killed his console? What is this with the corrupted storage?

I wish he would've explained the issue in more detail.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
When I think of Angry Centaur I think of horse Samus. Heh.

ANYWAY, launch consoles were bound to have issues here and there. That is just normal for electronics in general. Nothing to see here people.

It happens.. a significant number will be outright DOA, even more than that will die fairly quickly.

Within the first year a 5% failure rate is totally normal for electronics. Considering Sony will sell like 10 million units in it's first year, that means by 2022 it would be normal to have 500,000 dead PS5s in the wild.

The internet just multiplies what we hear about these issues..

In the end that's what warranties are for. If something has a major problem, typically companies respond by extending warranties automatically, particularly in the internet age.. that's what MS did with Xbox 360 and it's why a lot of people never abandoned them.

where did you get that 5% number from is that an internet statistic or do you know this as a fact? I don’t have any idea about this for sure but I’m fairly certain it must be lower than that. 5% is just way too high.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually not buy the extra warranty they offer through the ps store? If you're already outlaying $500, spend the extra $50 people.
I bought it on my Amex so I get protection from them but why buy store warranty if they’re not going to keep in stock

isual

just watched the video. i think it is necessary to note in the thread title or the initial post that the issue was with the external hard drive. everyone here is responding that there is an issue here, but not what the issue is exactly. lots of noise being spurred and not enough hearing.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Wait... he's saying that he has had issues that others are having, like Yong... and this killed his console? What is this with the corrupted storage?

I wish he would've explained the issue in more detail.

Yeah that's not good especially as I intend to just plug and play my existing extended storage. I don't know how they've linked the router to it. Network connection doesn't matter for unlocking HDD encryption. Need to know more about this. Even worse because of the paltry 665GB space :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You swedes have 3 years? Man, I thought we germans had it good with 2 years.

6 months where it's on the manufacturer to prove that the issue is NOT due to a manufacturing defect or similar (although most manufacturers up this to a year), then another 2.5 years where the burden of proof is on the buyer. But with things like this Sony would definitely just accept the complaint for the full 3 years.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
where did you get that 5% number from is that an internet statistic or do you know this as a fact? I don’t have any idea about this for sure but I’m fairly certain it must be lower than that. 5% is just way too high.
I mean it's a very ballpark estimate that averages all consumer electronics from Consumer Reports from a long ass time ago. Source? I read it like 12 years ago when RROD was huge.. it was like 15% after 3-4 years overall average.

So not really a "Fact".. but there are products with much higher year 1 failure rates than 5%.

To be clear a failure can be user error too, it's impossible to really know because consumers always lie lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom