• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Achievement Farming Games on Steam

Avallon

I've noticed a new trend on Steam - games with way too many achievements.

Everything I've seen is the dev BCH waves Studio, but there may be more people doing the same thing:

LA Soul - 4000+ achievements
Trashville - 3222 achievements
Family Cobweb - 4000+ achievements
Run Away - 6666 achievements
Out for Blood - 4000+ achievements
Sisters in Hotel - 7000+ achievements
Dreaming About You - 7000+ achievements

None of the achievements have proper names, either. For example:

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_2_6
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_2_7
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_2_8

These games are sold piecemeal or in bundles entitled "3000+ achievements" or something similar.

Is this the result of Steam Direct?

*Bonus*
[QUOTE="Dreaming About You Description]This story telling you about two schoolgirls and hot lesbian sex during their summer holidays.
It is outstanding wild sex in village. That night were the best and the most unforgettable in their lives...

”Dreaming about you" is a drama visual novel featuring:

- A deep and heartbreaking storyline

- Unexpected ending

- Brilliant art style, backgrounds and sprites

- Awesome background music[/QUOTE]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That some Steam games have a ton of achievements is the result of the low barrier entry that, in part, attracts developers who feel a ton of achievements are a potential selling point, yes. Valve recently capped the number at 5,000, but I do think it should be lower. Given TF2 has over 500, I'd say 1,000.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I don't get it tbh, steam achievement's system sucks. The only platform where I don't care about them.

Wish Valve would do an overhaul tbh

Avallon

I don't get it tbh, steam achievement's system sucks. The only platform where I don't care about them.

Wish Valve would do an overhaul tbh

I don't think they'll bother. You can very easily cheat to unlock Steam Achievements on PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think they'll bother. You can very easily cheat to unlock Steam Achievements on PC.

Well, SAM can't modify the status of server-side achievements, but making that universal would mean making the entire achievement system an online-only feature. The flipside of achievements being worthless unless you like seeing yourself high up on a community-curated list is that they're easy to ignore if you don't care about what, if anything, they have to offer from a gameplay standpoint. They're just... there.

Notice that the symbols for the achievements here are mostly just letters, numbers and other characters. The purpose is that you can put an Achievement Showcase on your profile and use these letter achievements to put a word in there.

DrArchon

I've seen a bunch of these on Jim Sterling's channel (surprise surprise) and I'm baffled why anyone would buy any of these. Steam Achievements don't do anything! It's not like Steam Trading cards where you can sell them for money on the marketplace, it's not even like XBox achievements that all add up together to one single number.

Cels

and i thought a game like zup! threw achievements at you like candy (only has about 100)

zup is actually well-reviewed, too.

i'll be honest though one of the reasons i bought it was that it was a cheap way to spell out words (each achievement is a letter or some character) on my steam achievement showcase

Kyougar

I'm okay with a buttload of achievements if they represent a gameplay challange.

Strategy games like Civilization and Paradox games like CK2 or EUIV have hundreds of achievements. But all are tied to gameplay milestones. (conquer the world with nation x or do something xyz within the lifetime of your first ruler.

Duxxy3

There's no sort of point system. It's one of the more disappointing aspects of steam, compared to PS and XB.

WarRock

Notice that the symbols for the achievements here are mostly just letters, numbers and other characters. The purpose is that you can put an Achievement Showcase on your profile and use these letter achievements to put a word in there.
Why wouldn't you just upload an image with words as art showcase?

People are weird.

dlauv

I like Steam achievements, particularly to the point of where you can showcase your rarest ones (based on total playerbase percentile) on your profile.

Top Bottom