• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acquire president (Endo) wants to create new Tenchu for the new generation

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/acq...ses-potential-tenchu-revival-new-indies-brand via Famitsu magazine

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu includes a new interview with Acquire president Takuma Endo, who teases a potential revival of the Tenchu series and the launch of a new indies brand by the end of 2021.

Here are the notable tidbits:

• The “Stealth Assassin” trademark registered by Acquire in Japan back in August 2018 was only registered because it expired.
  • While it is currently difficult, Endo would like to create a new Tenchu from the ground up for the PlayStation 5 generation if the possibility arises. The “Stealth Assassin” trademark lays the groundwork.
  • Gladiux is still in development.

Acquire-Pres-Famitsu-Init_01-06-21.jpg

Kuranghi

I think we should assume this will be disappointing SO we don't get disappointed when its good. Weren't the later games all poo or was there some goodness in there? I played Tenchu Z for 15 mins and then turned it off but I don't remember if I did that because it was bad or not.

Put some special pre-set moves like the original. Up up jump to do a forward flip. God, I so miss this franchise.

And bring back the musical director.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love the original trilogy so much. I remember seeing the ads on tv for the original and I also remember how intimidating the game was once I got my hands on it at that young age.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/acq...ses-potential-tenchu-revival-new-indies-brand via Famitsu magazine

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu includes a new interview with Acquire president Takuma Endo, who teases a potential revival of the Tenchu series and the launch of a new indies brand by the end of 2021.

• The “Stealth Assassin” trademark registered by Acquire in Japan back in August 2018 was only registered because it expired.
  • While it is currently difficult, Endo would like to create a new Tenchu from the ground up for the PlayStation 5 generation if the possibility arises. The “Stealth Assassin” trademark lays the groundwork.

This is misreported. This site loves to write articles from leaked summaries of Famitsu from a Japanese blog that has no real care about being accurate, which means that it often spreads partial or inaccurate information just to publish it a few hours earlier. This is one of these cases.

I just read the actual interview on Famitsu, and Endo-san doesn't say he wants to revive the Tenchu series (as a matter of fact, he can't. The IP belongs to FromSoftware.).

He said he'd like to recreate a stealth ninja game from the ground up for the PS5 generation, which indicates some sort of successor of the Tenchu series, but obviously with differences, and it wouldn't be a Tenchu game.

It's funny how they keep publishing false info, but they don't care, apparently. The famous "restricted boobs" for Tifa quote about FFVII remake was one of these.

Incidentally, he also revealed The Labyrinth of Zangetsu for PS4, Switch, and PC. It's a rather charming dungeon JRPG set in a Nioh-like medieval Japan-esque setting similar to Nioh designed with an art style similar to Japanese ink paintings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is misreported. This site loves to write articles from leaked summaries of Famitsu from a Japanese blog that has no real care about being accurate, which means that it often spreads partial or inaccurate information just to publish it a few hours earlier. This is one of these cases.

I just read the actual interview on Famitsu, and Endo-san doesn't say he wants to revive the Tenchu series (as a matter of fact, he can't. The IP belongs to FromSoftware.).

He said he'd like to recreate a stealth ninja game from the ground up for the PS5 generation, which indicates some sort of successor of the Tenchu series, but obviously with differences, and it wouldn't be a Tenchu game.

It's funny how they keep publishing false info, but they keep doing it, apparently. The famous "restricted boobs" for Tifa quote about FFVII remake was one of these.

Incidentally, he also revealed The Labyrinth of Zangetsu for PS4, Switch, and PC. It's a rather charming dungeon JRPG set in a Nioh-like medieval Japan-esque setting similar to Nioh designed with an art style similar to Japanese ink paintings.

While technically right, I don't think even fans of the Tenchu series care if it's called "Tenchu" as long as it's a cool stealth action ninja game.

Codes 208

Well we got Sekiro which was a spiritual successor (from even explained as such that making tenchu was what they were originally going to do with activision but when they came up with so many new ideas they created sekiro instead after activision gave them the green light)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
While technically right, I don't think even fans of the Tenchu series care if it's called "Tenchu" as long as it's a cool stealth action ninja game.

If you want a stealth action game, you'll be happy. If you want Tenchu, you won't be, because the wording clearly indicate that this is something different. You could call it a Tenchu successor or reimagination, but Endo-san clearly says he wants to make a stealth ninja game "from the ground up." It's going to be something new, likely with Tenchu's DNA.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

If I didn't have a reason to buy a PS5, this would certain be one. Make it happen!

GrayFoxPL

It's funny how they keep publishing false info, but they keep doing it, apparently. The famous "restricted boobs" for Tifa quote about FFVII remake was one of these.

Thanks for the correct info.

I love Tenchu and Acquire. Original one made by Acquire with incredible music by Sony is one of the most important games for me.

They already have their own ninja game: Shinobido on PS2, PSP and sequel on VITA.

Acquire already did come back to make Tenchu Shadow Assassins for WII/PSP under From Software so I don't know why it can't be done again.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Thanks for the correct info.

I love Tenchu and Acquire. Original one made by Acquire with incredible music by Sony is one of the most important games for me.

They already have their own ninja game: Shinobido on PS2, PSP and sequel on VITA.

Acquire already did come back to make Tenchu Shadow Assassins for WII/PSP under From Software so I don't know why it can't be done again.

I have a feeling that From would like to use the IP at some point. They already tried once (Sekiro was born from that idea, but changed into something else afterward).

Last edited:

Megatron

Honestly, the last generation barely cared about Tenchu. Not throwing shade, hey we’re good games, but not that huge.

Magog.

Banned
I don't think they have the budget to do one that would live up to the hype. It would be cool if they brought back the level creator though. I had a lot of fun with that.

TheFawz

Ghost of Tsushima shows there's interest in something like that, but to differentiate themselves from it they'd have to go more the Hitman route or be a little more out there (ie: Styalized or more Gory). I don't think they'd pull it off well based on their track record, but there's a market for it if they do

n0razi

Well we got Sekiro which was a spiritual successor (from even explained as such that making tenchu was what they were originally going to do with activision but when they came up with so many new ideas they created sekiro instead after activision gave them the green light)

Sekiro definitely emphasized combat more over assassinations so it doesnt quite scratch that itch but very close.

bender

What time is it?
I loved the original Tenchu. It had such an amazing set of tools to play in its' sandbox. I still have found memories of throwing rice win to distract guards, letting them pick it up and assassinating them before they were able to consume the wine which let you reclaim the item. That was really impressive for a Playstation game. I'd blind buy anything Tenchu at this point.

Top Bottom