• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ActiBlizz tentatively considering television/films/shorts based on their IPs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...rossover-following-skylanders-academy-success

One of the bosses behind new TV show Skylanders: Academies thinks there'll be "more gaming and TV" crossover soon.

Stacey Sher, from Activision Blizzard, believes film and television can "breathe life" into your favourite video gaming characters.

Based on the popular gaming franchise, the show has been made for Netflix.

Speaking to Newsbeat, she says they're considering doing something similar with other games they publish like StarCraft and Overwatch.

"We're going to do more but we're going to move very carefully and thoughtfully," Stacey says.

"We've already announced that we're going to do Call of Duty as a big feature film and that's an example of matching the game to the medium.

"We're going to pick the best medium [for each title] be it film, TV or shorts - the one that best serves each franchise individually."
Stacey says: "The fans love these characters and want to engage more fully with them, they want to go beyond the storytelling capabilities of gaming.

"The way television engages you is different to the way games engage you.

"In games you are the character, in filmed entertainment you empathise with characters and you go on journeys with them side by side."

While I'm not interested in stuff like Skylanders (or the Call of Duty movie), I'd be down for an Overwatch movie or, like, a Singularity TV series. Hell, give me Destiny or (more) Warcraft shorts.

I'd also accept a Vigilante 8 TV series.

What about you guys? Would you like to see ActiBlizz make more stuff ala Skylanders with Netflix?

Did Warcraft do okay for them financially?

Also, I really don't think Overwatch would work as an actual show. I know that's what people will suggest.

Jawmuncher

Overwatch is definitely going to be the title in this thread that gets mentioned the most. The shorts alone could be made into a pretty cool CG series.

styl3s

I could see a smaller scale Warcraft show doing pretty well once Game of Thrones ends or a Call of Duty show. Strike Back was basically COD.

I might do horrific things for a Vigilante 8 anything.

But in the absence of that, I'll say all of the Blizzard franchises are worth exploring. Don't care much about anything else on the Activision side... at least, that I can think of offhand.

Orayn

The Overwatch shorts are good because they're short. There is a 100% chance Blizzard would completely screw up anything longer than a few minutes.

KLoWn

An Overwatch series would be nice, even though the cgi quality would probably drop a bit, or a lot.

guitar hero series feat tenacious d seems like a good route to go

To me, Guitar Hero is like Call of Duty in that it is big enough to be viable, but I would have zero personal interest in. Just Vigilante 8, which is just crazy enough to work as long as it embraces the 70s to the max.

To me, all the gold is on Blizzard's side. Overwatch, Diablo, Starcraft, all perfect for adapting.

Wait, Activision published Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? Stop the presses, it's time to pull Uwe Boll back out of retirement.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Summarize WoW in a bunch of short films to make a proper story for Warcraft 4 to continue off of

Overwatch TV series on Netflix.
Diablo Movie.
Destiny comedy sitcom about Master Rahool and his housemates Cayde-6 and Eris Morn.
(Actually, A series based on destiny, but about civillian life in the Last City.)

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
in china, absolutely. it dominated. elsewhere it did mediocre at best for the most part.

i... actually wouldn't mind this. the art style wouldn't be too hard to transition, i guess
It would be a lot easier to convey, because they can get dramatic about it. They could make their own characters and their most popular characters get added into the actual game.

Jawmuncher

The Overwatch shorts are good because they're short. There is a 100% chance Blizzard would completely screw up anything longer than a few minutes.

The universe seems like it could handle a show. But quality wise would depend on a lot.

Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo might work in a side story kind of way with need characters.

Overwatch was definitely designed to be a multi media franchise from the beginning.

My money is on Overwatch.

Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo are all too far gone. Go all in on Overwatch, Blizz. The shorts may be sappy, but they sure are fun.

And start with a D.va short. We must know the story behind the legend.

RK128

I'm not surprised about this announcement, as Skylanders (TV Netflix Show) and Call of Duty (Movie Project) couldn't be the only moves of Activision Blizzard Productions.

I think we will see the following though:
-Overwatch Netflix Series (Animated Show)
-Guitar Hero Movie (Could be a lot of fun, more so if they get rock bands involved with the production)
-Warcraft Movies (Another one should be on the way....I think?)
-Crash Bandicoot Cartoon (Hinted at in his Appearance in 'Skylanders Academy')
-Starcraft Netflix Series

With the combo of the Skylanders cartoon literally throwing the idea of "Crash making for addictive weekly viewing" in your face and the fact the showrunner said on Twitter that Activision made the decision to hold other Crash Bandicoot characters back from Skylanders Academy for right now, I'm thinking the Crash show is probably a lock.

Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo are all too far gone. Go all in on Overwatch, Blizz. The shorts may be sappy, but they sure are fun.

And start with a D.va short. We must know the story behind the legend.

what? If anything all 3 franchises are at the peak of their popularity... (well.. Warcraft has fallen off, but it's not like it's massive install base has dwindled to a point of irrelevance...) and with the exception of Call of Duty and some of their licensed IPs (i.e. Transformers) the Blizzard Trinity represents some of Activision's biggest most recognized brands...

Thirteen episode mini-series of Overwatch.

First season is about getting the band back together with a small hint at the resurgence of the omnics.

Second season is about stopping the second invasion before things go belly up.

Diablo anime by madhouse. Watch an onslaught of holy hammers fly at demons would be beautiful.

SNURB

With the combo of the Skylanders cartoon literally throwing the idea of "Crash making for addictive weekly viewing" in your face and the fact the showrunner said on Twitter that Activision made the decision to hold other Crash Bandicoot characters back from Skylanders Academy for right now, I'm thinking the Crash show is probably a lock.

Yea, that episode heavily hinted that Crash would probably get his own show. Maybe as something to cash in and promote the remakes? I'd love it for that to happen honestly.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Anything Overwatch related would be awesome. Gimme an anime that teases at Widowtracer and/or Pharmercy and I'll give you all my monies.

Overwatch is an IP that would value greatly from having some means of actually exploring the various plotlines present in its setup, so I'd be down for a TV series.

Top Bottom