• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Button / Tim Rogers Cyberpunk 2077 Review

Jsisto

Watched the first hour, brilliant. I have no interest in ever playing this game, but I sure as hell want to know what Tim thinks of it, as well as whatever other insights he wants to sprinkle in there.

I was born stupid, but I will not die hungry!

iHaunter

I love the hell out of this man. His Dragon Quest 11 review for polygon is probably one of my favorite pieces of media of the last 10 years. I think a lot of people just don’t get him because of his weird way of speaking, but the dedication and love he puts into everything he does is undeniable. Just embrace the Rogersverse and you’ll begin to understand.

One of the games I regret not playing. Was kinda hoping it would appear on PS+ at some point. I feel like every time I buy a game, it appears on PS+ the next month.

Mozzarella

I just finished 2 segments and i have to ask, am i crazy or does this guy blow guys like Joseph Anderson out of the water? Surprisingly i managed to watch a 1 hour video of his, I tried to do the same with the Witcher video from Joseph and i gave up around the 40 minute mark, Tim is more engaging and uses footages better imo. Not sure if thats a controversial take though.

Whats his overall take on the game ? Dis he like it ? (I personally think it’s a masterpiece)
Based on what i watched so far:
Things he praises and likes: Graphics, Art Direction, Story, Side Quests and overall structure of the game and the world, Facial Animations, choices.
Things he disliked: Bugs, Glitches, Loot system, Progression system (leveling and perks), Items being useless, Hacking being OP and the game allows you to abuse it all the encounters so Combat pretty much, UI, Lack of things to do in the world outside of quests that it becomes repetitive.

That's about it i guess. If you want to hear praise he actually praised the game in the video of what he liked in a good way imo, you can only watch that segment and call it a day. Imo it was more entertaining than watching what he dislikes to me because i already know the things people dont like about the game, but watching his take on the story and the positive things was more enjoyable somehow because it was fresh and new compared to the usual critique. But he did good in both, This is a professional well made review. Though to watch the whole thing, im not sure im going to do that, its very long and i often prefer shorter reviews that are straight to the point.

Last edited:

Raven117

Tim Rogers is the video game equvalent of a gonzo journalist, and I love him for that.

His game reviews feel more like long winded self assessments. Reviews of his own review in a weird way.

It's incredibly self-indulgent, long-winded and borderline schizophrenic with how often he does asides that feel seemingly unrelated. I love that. It makes it all feel personal and devoid of cynicism.
He jokes that he reviews his review in season 5.

while I applaud your use of the term “gonzo” journalist, he doesn’t fit that bill. He is actually the antithesis of that. His stuff is incredibly well researched. (Though shares the self-indulgent” part admittedly.)

Tim Rogers is the performance art of reviewers.

Sneed Wagon

Neo Member
He jokes that he reviews his review in season 5.

while I applaud your use of the term “gonzo” journalist, he doesn’t fit that bill. He is actually the antithesis of that. His stuff is incredibly well researched. (Though shares the self-indulgent” part admittedly.)

Tim Rogers is the performance art of reviewers.
Ah yes you're totally right.

I actually took a step back a bit too late to verify if im using the term correct, and realized I neglected the portion of that term insinuates he's making completely baseless points in his content.

I meant more the notion that he himself seems to be the protagonist of his own review...which admittedly is all reviews if you think about. Though the personal experiences in his content feel more thoroughly explored than the average essayist.

No. The 'buuut iT iS oNLy a j0Ke' excuse is bullshit and doesn't fly. You know what the intent behind that rhetoric is. You wouldn't use it if you didn't understand that intent. Stop hiding behind that excuse and acknowledge that that rhetroic is hateful and insulting. Do you think all people with autism are idiots then? Clearly you think so, otherwise you wouldn't readily use that 'joke'. Let's see what the mods think shall we?
I see Era members are back in NeoGaf.

I'd love to see what the mods have to say, because in general, they're not going to jump the gun on something like this at all because he did not specifically insult someone, merely using the word in passing.

So kindly go fly a kite dude, you're literally being a nuisance in this thread.

Theres a line we don't cross in NeoGaf, and I can assure you, he did not cross it whatsoever.

We respect one another here more often l than not, but we certainly don't force each other to use safe words to protect each other from being hurt besides the most extreme forms of hate and anger being thrown around.

If this triggers you, I suggest you leave our forum and go join a more safe space environment because this aint it fam.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I love the hell out of this man. His Dragon Quest 11 review for polygon is probably one of my favorite pieces of media of the last 10 years. I think a lot of people just don’t get him because of his weird way of speaking, but the dedication and love he puts into everything he does is undeniable. Just embrace the Rogersverse and you’ll begin to understand.

I appreciate he does something else.
Not my thing but well done

Raven117

Ah yes you're totally right.

I actually took a step back a bit too late to verify if im using the term correct, and realized I neglected the portion of that term insinuates he's making completely baseless points in his content.

I meant more the notion that he himself seems to be the protagonist of his own review...which admittedly is all reviews if you think about. Though the personal experiences in his content feel more thoroughly explored than the average essayist.
I totally knew what you meant (and it’s a good point).

I find the whole bit pretty entertaining. Not always. Not all jokes land. Not all bits land. But it’s still great.

It's weird, I did a complete 360 on this guy. I used to love his early 'new games journalism' stuff then I started thinking he was a just a little bit too pretentious for my taste, but now I really really like his YouTube stuff.

I've watched the tokimeki memorial review about three times now, I think it's genius and highly entertaining.

Will watch this over the weekend, sounds like a great time.

*Nightwing

Uhh, me I guess. I’ll watch any video Tim puts out. His meandering takes on video games are a tour-de-force of strong writing & presentation. I don’t know of anyone else in any medium who tackles criticism and discussion to this level. And I’m all-in on it.

The only "reviewer" I can actually watch/read.
Great dude, his death stranding review was one of the best video game related videos I have watched.

Tim Rogers is a treasure.
➕1️⃣

Wanted to contribute but been better said before me

Intent and context matters behind any joke. Would you be saying this same thing if it was a obscenely racist joke? Intent does matter, but not when it disregards the societal and historical context of how and why that joke is formed in the first place. This is not about amplyfying any outrage. This IS about speaking out against what is considered as disablity hate speech. Whether you want to accept that or not is irrelevant. I can't just go and be racist to someone and say OH ITS ONLY A JOKE THOUGH!!!!! Why should using the subject of disablity not be held to that same standard?
Tell me u haven’t watched Dave Chapelle, without telling me you haven’t watched Dave Chapelle

avd.gif

Team #5.

#6. This video was three hours long, and I wrote another 5 hours of nonsense so you would tell your friends about it, now here you are.

Last edited:

TheMan

what's interesting about a Tim Rogers review is that whether a game is good or not becomes irrelevant. There is very little utilitarian value to get from his reviews, in other words, I would not watch this review of cyberpunk to determine whether I wanted to buy the game. And in fact he recommends that you complete the game before watching the video. There is more value in his deep analysis, but even that is so occluded by his incredibly bombastic style and utterly tangential anecdotes that his videos are almost more about the total experience of Tim Rogers moreso than whatever game he is discussing.

What kind of lover do you think Tim Rogers would be?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
what's interesting about a Tim Rogers review is that whether a game is good or not becomes irrelevant. There is very little utilitarian value to get from his reviews, in other words, I would not watch this review of cyberpunk to determine whether I wanted to buy the game. And in fact he recommends that you complete the game before watching the video. There is more value in his deep analysis, but even that is so occluded by his incredibly bombastic style and utterly tangential anecdotes that his videos are almost more about the total experience of Tim Rogers moreso than whatever game he is discussing.

His Tokimeki Memorial review was a perfect piece in my mind. Not only did I learn about the game Tim, the let's play walkthrough of his first game & the 'best' game were fun and engaging. I could watch/listen to him talk about just anything he has intimate knowledge on.

I'm super stoked to see what he has in store for his 'Earthbound' review as it is easily my favorite game of all time. I was one of the few that bought it when it came out after renting it from the local movie place 5 or 6 times. Strangely enough, a bunch of other people in my family were super into Earthbound when it came out too. It wasn't until later in life that I found out it sold poorly. Hell, I remember being shocked at the fan following the game had on places like Stamen.net. How could the game have sold poorly when this fan base exists!

Whatever reviews happen, I want to hear more about his time in Japan.

Majukun

i do wonder he can say that hasn't been said a million of times already about that game...but everyone here seems glowing about him..might give it a shot

Inviusx

After 11 months of Cyberpunk 2077 media saturation I can't bare to listen to another minute of editorial critique. No offence to this guy.

Majukun

at the moment at 45 minute on the first video and still didn't get anything of value..starting skipping sections or my bain is gonna turn into jello

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
at the moment at 45 minute on the first video and still didn't get anything of value..starting skipping sections or my bain is gonna turn into jello

Don't watch Tim Rogers reviews for a review of a video game. It's a very niche brand of wider video game commentary and sometimes humour. Even the "what I liked/didn't like" sections tread very familiar water to anyone who followed the media circus after Cyberpunk's release - the game is buggy and kinda sucks but the story is good, there, saved you the hassle.

For what it's worth I watched 1, 3, 4, 7, had a great time and wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know.

Raven117

i do wonder he can say that hasn't been said a million of times already about that game...but everyone here seems glowing about him..might give it a shot
That's not really the point.

Its more style...his research on related and adjacent topics...funny anecdotes. Aggressive nerd delivery.

Top Bottom