• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Here's pics of what I have:

Mordin Solus (Mass Effect)
Zh5deTl.jpg

Marvel Legends X-Force Wolverine
cQFjRic.jpg

Marvel Legends Two Pack Warpath
jmj9ohk.jpg

Marvel Legends Two Pack Deadpool
3pj3ogC.jpg

Marvel Select Bucky Cap
7t2Ot3J.jpg

Marvel Legends Superior Spider-Man
yUnvVpI.jpg

Spider-Man Classics Shocker
fZHU1m8.jpg

Marvel Select The Amazing Spider-Man
Sc6WcTa.jpg

Sorry some of them are a little blurry. And very big.

LosDaddie

Banned
Subscribed. I've been wanting a thread like this for a while now.

These posts echo my sentiments of the FigureGAF thread exactly:

subbed
FigureGAF can be renamed anime gurl statues and moe gifs
use this thread for articulated action figures
Great work OP!!

No offense, but I really don't have any desire to scroll through a thread full of pictures of 14 year old scantily clad girls with WWII battleship turrets attached to their ass.

figureGAF is plagged with lewd comments about satutues of questionable age and their butts, understand that many action figure collectors are weirded out by this behaviour and don't want to post there, heck the few that have dared get their posts instantly buried by moe gifs and nendo talk, the faster FigureGAF understand that's why this thread was created the better, please let us be and return to your anime girl figures and moe gifs thread, you shouldn't be affected by this thread.

I have the Hot Toys Avengers Hulk, Iron Man mk7, and MoS Superman. I'll posts some pictures eventually. The only new Hot Toy I'm for sure buying this year is the AoU Capt America. The figure looks so great!

I may try to find a good deal on a Hot Toys Predator figure at MegaCon in April. Always wanted one.

Hero

So for the judgmental people in here, you're embarrassed by some preferences of select posters in Figure GAF but not by virtue of the amount of money you spend on the toys you like? How does that work out?

taoofjord

So for the judgmental people in here, you're embarrassed by some preferences of select posters in Figure GAF but not by virtue of the amount of money you spend on the toys you like? How does that work out?

I don't believe I'm one of the judgmental people you're talking about but I'd like to respond anyway. For me, one is about spending money on a hobby I like and the other is something I find morally objectionable. You can't reasonably compare the two and I think you know it. Everyone has different hobbies and as long as they don't keep you from buying what you need to support yourself (and anyone depending on you) then there is no problem.

That said, I have no interest in attacking or calling out anyone interested in lewd figures. To each their own as long as no one is getting hurt, etc.

Anyway, Super Robot Red Baron on in his way this week. I was really lucky in that I found a site that still had him up for pre-order (it ended up being their last one in stock). I'd have kicked myself for missing my chance to pick up my favorite giant robot.

If you're not familiar with the character then you may want to check out this amazing clip of the show from the early 70's. And then listen to the theme song. The show is good old fashioned cheesy, campy fun with some surprisingly creative camera work and set design inspired by the experimental European stuff coming out around that time. Oh and you can pick the entire show up for $7.50 on Amazon.

JLynn

Yeah this thread can be a little tricky but I'm glad it exists. Figure GAF has been great to me, as a newcomer to the hobby that's not at all interested lewd figures. But while I enjoy that this thread is focused on action figures I do not want the line to be drawn at Western vs. Eastern. I'd rather see it drawn at action figures vs statues and non-lewd vs. lewd. As such, I'd like to see sites like Amiami included in the OT.

For me, I'm mostly interested in action figures of video game characters and some anime stuff (like giant robots) and am hoping this can be the place to talk about these kinds of figures.

You see me and others talk about Figuarts and Soul of Chogokin. Lines that are briefly mentioned on FigureGAF. I don't care about comic stuff but at the same time I don't care about overpriced plastic statues.

Wait what? There's new stuff coming and rumors that GIJoe is getting a black series of its on like the large star wars figures.
The anniversary stuff is just an afterthought and didn't even show up in my TRUs.

I can cave for Star Wars and Marvel but I would never buy 6" GI JOE.
12" Joes were fine back in the day because you could actually get stuff like
1122945d1381928661-ultimate-soldier-ah-6-little-bird-helicopter-21st-century-toy-bird1.jpg

attachment.php

You could get those for $100 a little over 10 years ago, now they don't even make stuff that size.

However I would buy a sub line in Hasbro's new 2.5" scale.
Thought it worked awesomely for Transformer's Human Alliance and if they did a bunch of classic Joe stuff(Skystriker, Flagg) in 2.5" scale i'd but it.

LosDaddie

Banned

So much anger! :lol :lol

Personally, I just don't care to scroll past page after page of hyper-sexualized anime statues and tons of moe GIFs. This thread is much more in line with my interests.

I'll chime in on the debate. I am an occasional poster in the Figure GAF thread. There is a good amount of sexual stuff since they're more about anime figures over there. They're helpful people and I have a few, non sexy, anime figures myself, but this thread here seems like a better place for me. I'll still be visiting both but I agree with the decision for separate ones.

Allow me to cross post some non-anime stuff that I got recently. Forgive the color of the walls, I plan on repainting this room

Lastly, are there no good Jill Valentine figures or statues in her classic RE1 or Revelations outfits? I'm not a fan of her RE5 designs so no go on the Hot Toys. The Chris and Wesker in that line came with alternate RE1 costumes but not Jill, grrrr. I'm even OK with gashapon aka little desk figures.

taoofjord

Personally, I just don't care to scroll past page after page of hyper-sexualized anime statues and tons of moe GIFs. This thread is much more in line with my interests.

Not to sound like a Dad but provoking a provoker doesn't do this thread or community any good. Turning this into an us vs. them is not the way to go about this.

BioFan

Here to say that Im a new Hot Toys Iron Man collector. Bought 3, Iron Patriot, Silvercenturion and Peacemaker and have one preordered this year, starboost.
Tempted to get Cap AoU but afraid to get too deep hehehe.

Croll

Neo Member

I lurked around FigureGaf a bit though never posted but I hope you'll let me weigh in. The reason I never posted was due to the fact that everyone's interests seemed very focused on a small section of anthropomorphic anime figures. Personally, I have no problem with those (though I understand why some people might feel uncomfortable seeing them) but they're just not the type of figures that interest me. I wrote earlier in the thread that I was really into super robots and I saw someone post a SOC Voltes V only for it to be drowned out.

I think both points you brought up really go hand in hand. Once you get into this hobby you realize that there's no way you can collect everything you want and therefore you realize you have to specialize. Even with something like transformers, its hard to collect every single line so some people just go in on say the masterpieces. Thus its easy for communities to become insular and focused on a single subset of figure.

I chose to post in this thread because I saw a really cool looking robot on the first page and thought: hey that aligns with my interests. It's true that this thread may just become Hot Toys OT but at least until now I've seen people discuss a variety of different collectibles - eastern and western. Personally I hope that no one feels dissuaded from posting anything in their collection because even though I may not have the money to collect them all its still great to see.

Hero

So this is what I don't understand, are you saying it's only hyper-sexualized anime statues that you have a problem with and not hyper-sexualized Western character statues? Because those exist too and get posted just as frequently in the Figure thread.

Not to sound like a Dad but provoking a provoker doesn't do this thread or community any good. Turning this into an us vs. them is not the way to go about this.

This thread's existence is an 'us vs them' thing though, not to mention there were already examples of people being judgmental.

taoofjord

This thread's existence is an 'us vs them' thing though, not to mention there were already examples of people being judgmental.

Its existence isn't us vs. them but it can turn into that depending on how people react. Knowing the internet I'm not exactly hopeful, but the thread's OT does not in any way make this us vs. them.

Flintty

I'll chime in on the debate. I am an occasional poster in the Figure GAF thread. There is a good amount of sexual stuff since they're more about anime figures over there. They're helpful people and I have a few, non sexy, anime figures myself, but this thread here seems like a better place for me. I'll still be visiting both but I agree with the decision for separate ones.

Allow me to cross post some non-anime stuff that I got recently. Forgive the color of the walls, I plan on repainting this room

Lastly, are there no good Jill Valentine figures or statues in her classic RE1 or Revelations outfits? I'm not a fan of her RE5 designs so no go on the Hot Toys. The Chris and Wesker in that line came with alternate RE1 costumes but not Jill, grrrr. I'm even OK with gashapon aka little desk figures.

Holy shit, I need those Ghostbusters!

Loving all the shares in this thread. I'm gonna assemble my collection for a photo shoot :)

Einbroch

Banned
Its existence isn't us vs. them but it can turn into that depending on how people react. Knowing the Internet I'm not exactly hopeful, but the thread's OT does not in any way make this us vs. them.
Personally, whatever. If people want to have their own thread, more power to them. Go ahead, go where you feel like you belong.

It's the holier-than-thou, those-guys-are-creepy attitude held by some posters that is insulting.

Have your thread. If someone comes in here asking why, you can respond without saying insensitive things and then having multiple people quote you and circle jerk the insults. That's the issue. We all collect figures. We're all losers together.

Messi

Here to say that Im a new Hot Toys Iron Man collector. Bought 3, Iron Patriot, Silvercenturion and Peacemaker and have one preordered this year, starboost.
Tempted to get Cap AoU but afraid to get too deep hehehe.

Oh man. You are already in deeper than you imagine lol. Cap is cheaper than those ones you have. Go for it. Embrace the collection.

SUPARSTARX

I have collections all over the place. I don't find the oversexualized stuff embarassing. Well the most provacative stuff I have are just the Kotobukiya Bishoujo stuff and Megahouse Portrait of Pirates stuff. :D

Zerojul

It's the holier-than-thou, those-guys-are-creepy attitude held by some posters that is insulting.
I strongly agree with this. See, I subscribed to this thread because it seems it's more in line with my interests (action figures). But I'll gladly stick to the good old so-called "Anime Girl Statues thread", even if I have no interest in those, if it starts getting all judgemental here.

We all collect figures. We're all losers together.

So, so much truth.

Oh man. You are already in deeper than you imagine lol. Cap is cheaper than those ones you have. Go for it. Embrace the collection.

Yeah, do it. Tony must feel lonely :)

taoofjord

Personally, whatever. If people want to have their own thread, more power to them. Go ahead, go where you feel like you belong.

Have your thread. If someone comes in here asking why, you can respond without saying insensitive things and then having multiple people quote you and circle jerk the insults. That's the issue. We all collect figures. We're all losers together.

The rude, outspoken ones are always the minority, so just keep that in mind. I doubt the majority on here care to judge what FigureGAF tends to like and are just happy to have a thread that caters more to their tastes.

When people say stupid things I always want to respond/mediate (as seen above) but I'll be mostly keeping myself away from those posts in the future. Trying to mediate on the Internet is impossible, save being a mod, so you won't see many posters wasting their time trying to steer the thread back in the right direction.

Also, none of us are inherently losers for collecting figures. Go look at what other people collect that don't have typical GAF "nerdy" interests. "Man Caves" are everywhere, especially in the homes of those you'd never expect.

Zerojul

Anyway, Super Robot Red Baron on in his way this week. I was really lucky in that I found a site that still had him up for pre-order (it ended up being their last one in stock). I'd have kicked myself for missing my chance to pick up my favorite giant robot.

If you're not familiar with the character then you may want to check out this amazing clip of the show from the early 70's. And then listen to the theme song. The show is good old fashioned cheesy, campy fun with some surprisingly creative camera work and set design inspired by the experimental European stuff coming out around that time.

That is very, very cool. I wonder if it's older than my personal favorite, Spectroman. Anyway, those '70s vibes are awesome.

LosDaddie

Banned

Probably the main reason why I'm glad to already own my HT Hulk and Iron Man figures. The new ones just keep going up in price. I was glad to see the AoU Capt America is "only" $225

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
S.H. Figuarts, Figma and MAFEX have been doing quite a lot of comic book related stuff as of late. They're 1/12 scale (maybe slightly smaller) so they fit in well with Marvel Legends etc.

This is the Figma Iron Man Mark VII for example

marvel-avengers-max-factory-figma-action-figure-iron-man-mark-vii-pre-order-ships-november-6.jpg

Thanks man, will check them out

curb

Banned
Its existence isn't us vs. them but it can turn into that depending on how people react. Knowing the internet I'm not exactly hopeful, but the thread's OT does not in any way make this us vs. them.

I agree. We should be focusing on what belongs in this thread as per the OP rather than what doesn't belong here. I think this thread's subject matter is fairly clear.

On topic, I looked at my home office desk this morning and realized I have some figures that will fit in nicely here. I'll have to take some pics this week. I also finally found a Marvel Legends Captain Marvel this morning which apparently is a bit of an accomplishment here in Canada so I'll have to include that.

I agree. We should be focusing on what belongs in this thread as per the OP rather than what doesn't belong here. I think this thread's subject matter is fairly clear.

On topic, I looked at my home office desk this morning and realized I have some figures that will fit in nicely here. I'll have to take some pics this week. I also finally found a Marvel Legends Captain Marvel this morning which apparently is a bit of an accomplishment here in Canada so I'll have to include that.

Nice! Glad to see you finally found one. I went back to my TRU and they seemed to be completely out of the remaining figures, but I managed to find Machine Man halfway across the store. I swear I think they only got a single crate.

curb

Banned
Nice! Glad to see you finally found one. I went back to my TRU and they seemed to be completely out of the remaining figures, but I managed to find Machine Man halfway across the store. I swear I think they only got a single crate.

The TRU I was in seemed to have one of each in the new series mixed in with some older figures. They were also hidden around the corner of a display stand - I almost missed them. I had checked that store last weekend too so I'm surprised I found them.

Ryuuroden

Not happy to see people are already breaking in with asshole attitudes of "I am better than they are" People who don't collect action figures look at that hobby as weird too so nerds being judgmental about other nerds is asinine. This thread wasn't formed for you to talk shit about other peoples interest. It was for you to have a place for your own interests that you felt did not get enough attention even though they were totally welcome. From what I've seen so far, there are far less judgmental people in the original thread. Those of you who are being all judgmental need to shape up or shut up. We don't need holier than thou attitudes in any hobby, its destructive and alienating. You will just chase away people who have multiple interests which is the majority of hobbyists. Just my two cents if you want this thread to have the potential it can have.

Yep, no idea what God Complex is either but I've been contemplating picking them up. They're reminscent of designs by that one amazing artist that worked on a bunch of Shin Megami Tensei games.

Edit: Scratch that, just saw the price. Ouch.
Yeah I would have also been interested cause of the similarities to SMT, but those prices X'D

Flintty

Below are some photos of my Legends and Hot Toys collection :)

Marvel Legends - These are rather Deadpool/X-Force focused - DP is my favourite :)
u5QNTn0.jpg

FmxKmAa.jpg

Hot Toys - The pride of my collection. Just taking these guys out and posing/photographing them is an absolute joy

ATKpz4y.jpg

qiIXDy4.jpg

Iei4sRL.jpg

GaFKBGV.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed with the sharpness of the pictures - they looked better on my phone.
That's all I'll post for now - I don't want to over-do the photos (or blow my load too soon!). Up next will be Loki and two Avengers :)

Edit - Resize.

There was one a long time ago from NECA that eventually got reissued. You'll have to pay a bit more of it these days.

(Not my pic)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...valentine___in_box_by_goldfield88-d3eipah.jpg

kewlmyc

Below are some photos of my Legends and Hot Toys collection :)
I'm a bit disappointed with the sharpness of the pictures - they looked better on my phone.
That's all I'll post for now - I don't want to over-do the photos (or blow my load too soon!). Up next will be Loki and two Avengers :)

Might want to quote your pictures so they don't take up so much space.

Also I'm considering purchasing this. Weird, since it's not a Hot Toys, it's a Sideshow Collectible, but it's articulated which is more of a Hot Toys thing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Cool to see some bionicles posted. I have 5 of the 2015 ones. They are doing some Age of Ultron and Star Wars figures using the same brick system later this year.

Top Bottom