• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision/Bungie game revealed by court (4 MMO sci-fantasy FPSs, more) [OP Updated]

People are really surprised at the quality incentive? That's been going on for awhile now.

I'm surprised that Bungie would agree to something like that. I'd think that their name is big enough that they wouldn't have to sign this. The whole system sounds ridiculous when you hear about Obsidian not getting their bonus because they missed their Metaritic goal by 1 point even though the game sold millions of copies for Bethesda.

Derrick01

Banned
It's a good thing I'm not a bungie fan since they're going to screw people by making only the first game exclusive. That worked out real well for Mass Effect on PS3.

That's a pretty crazy schedule though and I see problems arising after some time.

Sibylus

Banned
Sooo...

Destiny I - Fall 2013
Comet I - Fall 2014
Destiny II - Fall 2015
Comet II - Fall 2016
Destiny III - Fall 2017
Comet III - Fall 2018
Destiny IV - Fall 2019
Comet IV - Fall 2020

With smatterings of DLC (presumably) everywhere. Seems a little... I don't know, crazy? Hitching your wagon to Activision until 2020, at that kind of workload, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in terms of the quality Bungie will be able to impart on these games, and of their ability to hang onto their company culture and sanity if and when things get tight. I hope everything goes flawlessly for them.

knitoe

Bungie might as well make it a launch X720 title in 2013. Once X720 and PS4 launches, I won't be looking to buy last gen games anymore.

It is, check out the contract:

destiny0tumo.png

So we don't have exhibit A, for the "concept document"?

Bebpo

Banned
The first Destiny game will initially only be available on Microsoft's Xbox 360 consoles, as well as its potential successor, which the contract refers to as the "Xbox 720."

So the first game is going to be a dual release on X360 and X720? Two versions of the same game?

Sounds like...Twilight Princess.

You know you are right, I'm letting my opinion of Kotick and his unsavoury activities cloud the potential benefits of this agreement to Bungie. Its a fair observation, and they are of course certain to be smarter than me about such things.

I can only offer my naive view - If I was a developer looking for a big partner in the industry, I can't imagine what series of numbers would make the untrustworthy Activision the best option. Hell, EA would probably have been more trustworthy.

Even then, looking at the text of the contract, it seems to suggest intense development of regular predetermined sequential titles as per a strict absolute timetable. Sounds like a recipe for apathy and inflexibility. Perhaps it has been revisited since the original agreement, however.

The Gamesrankings clause is completely absurd though.

I think the Marathon skunk team is there in case the Destiny deal goes to shit.

kewlmyc

So from the sounds of it, the Xbox 720 will probably be getting released in 2013 with Destiny as a launch title if the first game is going to be on the 720.

Also, hearing the review thing is shocking, even though it makes sense now that I think about it.

AHA-Lambda

Check out any of the NPD/sales threads; month to month MW3 is down compared to Black Ops, the series sales are becoming more and more front-loaded. Unless some sort of miracle happens Black Ops will absolutely outperform MW3 in lifetime sales by probably at least 2-3 million copies which seems like a shitload, until you consider that I think Black Ops is at something like 21 million LTD? So obviously if MW3 does say 17 million that's obviously still great, but it's still a downward trend, especially when you look at Black Ops being #2 on XBL right behind MW3 (and with MW2 still in the top 10 I believe). It's very slowly trending downward and the playerbase is fragmenting. Like I referenced there have been Activision conference calls where they've mentioned the Bungie IP basically coming in to relieve CoD if that starts to decline YOY like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk did, etc. MW3 was definitely the tipping point where most of my friends were done with it after a month or two, and we all played MW2 and Blops for a full year until the next release, Activision would be smart to try to get out ahead of that happening rather than running it into the ground until it's long dead like GH/TH, etc.

It may be down month to month but only due to MW3 being more front-loaded. MW3 currently is LTD bigger than Black Ops

Megasoum

Banned
Wait...so they refer to a "Xbox 720" in a legal contract AND they use gamerankings instead of the far more popular Metacritics? Not that there's anything wrong with gameranking. It's just......fucking weird.... WTF?

Blueblur1

I love it when stuff like this reaches the public. It's rather fascinating. What isn't do fascinating though is tat Bungie struck out on their own and then signed a deal with Activision to make more sci-fi shooter games. It's somewhat baffling to me that they worked so hard to be independent just so they can shoehorned into another 10 years of working on a single IP [for Activision]. And 2.5 million dollar bonus for maintaining a score of 90 on GameRankings is a little gross. Some ridiculous aggregate site score shouldn't be the sole reason for more bonuses, IMO.

Pennybags

Wait its an MMO style shooter?

A Bungie game that is anything similar to Planetside 2 would be very, very neat to see...

NullPointer said:
And a console MMO at that? I still think we'll see something MMO-ish. Some kind of hybrid that works well on the consoles.

... although I would be more inclined to agree with this. Persistent elements and an evolving metagame to keep people involved and invested.

Thoraxes

Also more telling with this: I wonder if this means that Call of Duty will be on a bi-yearly cycle too, switching off with the Bungie games and DLC.

wrowa

They want a new game every two years? Sounds like we've uncovered Activision's sequel to Call of Duty. As much as I dislike the company, they know what they're doing. People critize them for milking their franchises, but Activision is fully aware that milking will hurt the IPs in the long run: They love to play a game of risks and trust that they are going to have "the next big thing" in their pipeline once their currently top-selling IP stops selling.

It's a shame for everyone who's involved with the development of the games, though. And I don't think that anyone will particularly sad if one of their gamblings fails.

In case of Bungie, I can't quite understand why Bungie signed the contract. I thought they became independent, so that they can get away from developing the same games over and over again, but now they are forced to constantly develop games of their new IP for at least 8 years. I understand that being an independent developer is hard, but the company who made Halo shouldn't have problems to find publisher who would like to fund their games, right?

On the other hand, game development is so expensive nowadays -- especially when you want to make an AAA game -- that it probably isn't financially viable for a publisher to invest into a game that's not going to spawn a larger franchise.

Bebpo

Banned
Holy fuck. I feel really bad for Bungie right now. This is a HUGE leak.

If Activision cared about leaks like this they should have settled before it reached this point. Obviously they weighed the pros and cons and felt this was the least damaging avenue.

Coolwhip

Banned
I wonder what kind of Activision esque schemes will be in these games to get more money after buying them.

Looking forward to see if Bungie can make above average games (Halo games were not in my opinion).

EvB

talk about cannibalisation, Bungie and 343.

Maybe Bungie still isn't comfortable making the move from single platform development. We're so keen to point the finger at these nasty executives, maybe Bungie dealt with Activision because they let them have this freedom?

Good point, it's not as if these contracts are purely verbal. Activision could of literally been gagging for what bungie had and gave them an uncharacteristically flexible set of terms to work with?

You know you are right, I'm letting my opinion of Kotick and his unsavoury activities cloud the potential benefits of this agreement to Bungie. Its a fair observation, and they are of course certain to be smarter than me about such things.

I can only offer my naive view - If I was a developer looking for a big partner in the industry, I can't imagine what series of numbers would make the untrustworthy Activision the best option. Hell, EA would probably have been more trustworthy.

Even then, looking at the text of the contract, it seems to suggest intense development of regular predetermined sequential titles as per a strict absolute timetable. Sounds like a recipe for apathy and inflexibility. Perhaps it has been revisited since the original agreement, however.

The Gamesrankings clause is completely absurd though.

I'm sure it's strictly business. Bungie weren't forced in to this agreement. They had their pick of any publisher, really. So people acting like Bungie are the victims when they're probably being paid very well to make video games just seems a bit silly. They're obviously happy pumping out this much content.

I think the Metacritic thing is just standard now. And lets face it, they'll get over 90 with every game they release, so it's unimportant.

Grayman

Gamerankings and Monkey points on sales? Being forced into that situation they obviously signed bad deals for halo as well.

Az987

all good things
I could have sworn we already knew that some kind of Xbox exclusivity (is that a word?) was one of the reasons MS agreed to sell Bungie back.

Did I just imagine that?

Holy fuck. I feel really bad for Bungie right now. This is a HUGE leak.

Not really, we still don't know shit about their game, only that it's a sci-fi FPS, which most here concluded it would most likely be sci-fi anyway...

The only "big" thing we know are the platforms it's coming out on, which I don't see why that would be huge...

More Marathon has me interested. Fascinating that we got to see all the details of Bungie's contract like this.

It sounds more like an XBLA/PSN title. They can only have five percent of their staff working on it, so at most, that's like 15-20 people.

I'm surprised Microsoft passed this up considering they're trying to move more into the MMO space with Lionhead and Nexon.

Destiny I - Fall 2013
Comet I - Fall 2014
Destiny II - Fall 2015
Comet II - Fall 2016
Destiny III - Fall 2017
Comet III - Fall 2018
Destiny IV - Fall 2019
Comet IV - Fall 2020

To develop the same franchise, every year for that long, would destroy my morale and creativity. If it were me - and I'm not a developer of course - I could only foresee my predetermined output in the franchise I am shackled to getting increasingly stagnant and derivative.

Hopefully, Bungie are better at coping with this regimented, intense, exhausting schedule than I would be,

Wait...so they refer to a "Xbox 720" in a legal contract AND they use gamerankings instead of the far more popular Metacritics? Not that there's anything wrong with gameranking. It's just......fucking weird.... WTF?

GameRankings

Halo Combat Evolved 95.58
Halo 2 94.56
Halo 3 93.53
Halo Reach 91.71

Metacritic

Halo Combat Evolved 97
Halo 2 95
Halo 3 94
Halo Reach 91

Barely anything in it. GR's granularity might help depending on whether MC rounds up or down.

Not really, we still don't know shit about their game, only that it's a sci-fi FPS, which most here concluded it would most likely be sci-fi anyway...

The only "big" thing we know are the platforms it's coming out on, which I don't see why that would be huge...

I think the release schedule getting leaked is a pretty big deal. It just puts the whole series in a bad light, especially to be revealed in this way in a very financially-calculated fashion. It just looks bad.

Top Bottom