• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision/Bungie game revealed by court (4 MMO sci-fantasy FPSs, more) [OP Updated]

Khezu

I thought it was announced as multiplat from the beginning?

Either way, I'm really only interested in this game just to see how it compares to Halo 4.

Carl

Lol at bonuses only being paid if they reach stupid GameRankings number.

Also: Will not buy if the first one was exclusive and the rest are multiplat. I hate when they do that.

When he fired a woman for reporting sexual harassment, Kotick didn't exactly come across as a grey moral figure.

But you're implying that's a reason for Bungie not to sign with them. All Bungie want is financial backing and promotional support. I'm sure they're smarter about these things than message board posters.

JdFoX187

Banned
While my interest in Bungie's new IP is only casual at this point, I'm actually more curious as to what this means for Call of Duty. Depending on the scale of these expansion packs, I'm wondering if Activision will push it to have a presence annually. If so, would they really consider releasing Bungie's game against Call of Duty or even in the same time frame?

PhatSaqs

Banned
This contract makes me chuckle. Wasnt the main reason they wanted out of the MS umbrella was to not have to do more Halo (aka sci-fi shooters)?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
People are really surprised at the quality incentive? That's been going on for awhile now.

Izick

I would love more 3rd party exclusives next-gen. Makes investing in multiple consoles more worthwhile, and I feel like we get better games out of it overall in a some cases.

MrDaravon

Activision have a very successful FPS series. Why wouldn't you go to them to have a successful FPS series.

It's incredibly slow, but it appears that CoD is on the decline. This would probably allow them to only put out a CoD every other year with the Bungie game filling in the off years. By all accounts Infinity Ward is basically a shell at this point, roll them into Treyarch or vice versa and have that team focus on one CoD every two years instead of every year.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome info.

Can't wait to see what Bungie does.

Are people really getting upset because a game is exclusive? 360 could use some more exclusives...

mj1108

Bungie gets another $2.5 million if the first Destiny game achieves a score of 90 or better out of 100 on GameRankings.com, a site that summarizes reviews by game critics.

This sums up everything wrong with reviews.

Too easy to bribe reviewers with swag and such for higher review scores knowing you'll get a huge payout in the end.

This contract makes me chuckle. Wasnt the main reason they wanted out of the MS umbrella was to not have to do more Halo (aka sci-fi shooters)?

You added on "sci fi shooters". They said they needed a break from Halo. They didn't necessarily mean sci fi in general, just the Halo universe.

Awesome info.

Can't wait to see what Bungie does.

Are people really getting upset because a game is exclusive? 360 could use some more exclusives...

Threads on gaf about MS. "They don't have enough exclusives, nobody cares about core gamers"

Thread revealing new 360 exclusive. "Wow, that's BS, 360 only. Really? Come on."

No PC version, either.

Something seems odd, though. Why would Activision pick this up if it is going to be exclusive? Why not just have MS publish it then? Late ports always sell like shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Activision likes money. A bungie game will make money even if its on one console plus Microsoft will probably co market it. And by letting activision publish for them, it leaves the door open for bungie to make a playstation game if they ever want to.

Izick

I'd rather not buy 3 consoles if I can help it though.

You say that now, but once the next generation reaches its very end and barely anything is coming out, you'll be happy that you can buy the other two consoles for like a hundred bucks a piece, and actually have more incentive then just 1st party games to actually pick them up.

It's incredibly slow, but it appears that CoD is on the decline. This would probably allow them to only put out a CoD every other year with the Bungie game filling in the off years. By all accounts Infinity Ward is basically a shell at this point, roll them into Treyarch or vice versa and have that team focus on one CoD every two years instead of every year.

Black Ops II preorders have already far surpassed the previous two iterations in this point in its life. What do you mean appears on the decline?

Empty

i wish the microsoft-activision contract to secure the first games' exclusivity could come out with it. that would be very interesting to read.

MrDaravon

So who wants to place bets on if MS/Activision/Bungie make announcements early or still hold out for E3? I think I feel the worst for urk lol.

Black Ops II preorders have already far surpassed the previous two iterations in this point in its life. What do you mean appears on the decline?

Check out any of the NPD/sales threads; month to month MW3 is down compared to Black Ops, the series sales are becoming more and more front-loaded. Unless some sort of miracle happens Black Ops will absolutely outperform MW3 in lifetime sales by probably at least 2-3 million copies which seems like a shitload, until you consider that I think Black Ops is at something like 21 million LTD? So obviously if MW3 does say 17 million that's obviously still great, but it's still a downward trend, especially when you look at Black Ops being #2 on XBL right behind MW3 (and with MW2 still in the top 10 I believe). It's very slowly trending downward and the playerbase is fragmenting. Like I referenced there have been Activision conference calls where they've mentioned the Bungie IP basically coming in to relieve CoD if that starts to decline YOY like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk did, etc. MW3 was definitely the tipping point where most of my friends were done with it after a month or two, and we all played MW2 and Blops for a full year until the next release, Activision would be smart to try to get out ahead of that happening rather than running it into the ground until it's long dead like GH/TH, etc.

watership

I recall reading that Microsoft still has some stake in Bungie after the split. I wonder if that figured into the reason for the MS exclusivity for the first game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can't wait for the day when bonuses are distributed based on if the positive feedback in NeoGAF OT outweigh the negative posts!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hope this is drastically different than Halo.

I like Bungie as a studio but I very tired of Halo.

talk about cannibalisation, Bungie and 343.
Activision likes money. A bungie game will make money even if its on one console plus Microsoft will probably co market it. And by letting activision publish for them, it leaves the door open for bungie to make a playstation game if they ever want to.
Maybe Bungie still isn't comfortable making the move from single platform development. We're so keen to point the finger at these nasty executives, maybe Bungie dealt with Activision because they let them have this freedom?

Carl

Threads on gaf about MS. "They don't have enough exclusives, nobody cares about core gamers"

Thread revealing new 360 exclusive. "Wow, that's BS, 360 only. Really? Come on."

Exclusives are good. Timed exclusives or "the first game is exclusive and then the rest are multiplat" are just annoying. It's like you want to read the Harry Potter series, but you can't because the first one was written exclusively in Braille.

I'm guessing he's talking about how MW3, despite having initially higher sales than Black Ops, has slowed down considerably faster than BO did over the first 7 or 8 months.

thisisneogafdude.gif

still have hope that this is a MMORPG for console but this is probably another EHALO

JdFoX187

Banned

Because it's totally the same people doing the bitching. Jesus. People that complain about Microsoft not having enough exclusives stems from their purging of their first party developers and portfolio. Other people complaining about Bungie's new game being exclusive, at least temporarily, to the Xbox 360 are doing so because they don't have an Xbox 360, or prefer to game on the Playstation 3 or PC, for a number of different reasons. Swear the persecution complex some have on here is sad.

antonz

I recall reading that Microsoft still has some stake in Bungie after the split. I wonder if that figured into the reason for the MS exclusivity for the first game.

There was talk that Microsoft basically got a perk of first pick access for titles.

But you're implying that's a reason for Bungie not to sign with them. All Bungie want is financial backing and promotional support. I'm sure they're smarter about these things than message board posters.

You know you are right, I'm letting my opinion of Kotick and his unsavoury activities cloud the potential benefits of this agreement to Bungie. Its a fair observation, and they are of course certain to be smarter than me about such things.

I can only offer my naive view - If I was a developer looking for a big partner in the industry, I can't imagine what series of numbers would make the untrustworthy Activision the best option. Hell, EA would probably have been more trustworthy.

Even then, looking at the text of the contract, it seems to suggest intense development of regular predetermined sequential titles as per a strict absolute timetable. Sounds like a recipe for apathy and inflexibility. Perhaps it has been revisited since the original agreement, however.

The Gamesrankings clause is completely absurd though.

Leave Microsoft for more creative freedom and make scifi shooter again anyways
ODST hubs + fleshed out space combat + shooter sounds good to me.

Please be something like this or better Bungie ;)

I can only offer my naive view - If I was a developer looking for a big partner in the industry, I can't imagine what series of numbers would make the untrustworthy Activision the best option. Hell, EA would probably have been more trustworthy.
Didn't the Bungie PR at the time refer to Activision's history of support for large scale online ventures come up? So while this game may not be an MMO I still expect it to be MMO-ish.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Destiny is not an MMO?

Color me slightly interested again.

Also, more Marathon = even more interesting.

It is, check out the contract:

destiny0tumo.png

EvB

Call of Duty 2 being exclsive to 360 and map packs being timed never seemed to hurt Activision.

Surely just a case of Activision knowing that the Western success of Xbox sits well with the western success of competitive online FPS's.

Exclusivity does build a certain amount of hype in itself, most of the exclusive console titles this gen would of been even bigger retail bombs as multiplatform titles.

I'm guessing he's talking about how MW3, despite having initially higher sales than Black Ops, has slowed down considerably faster than BO did over the first 7 or 8 months.

That's only true to some extent. There's a link out there somewhere (if someone can find it) that shows MW3 sales on the HD consoles (360/PS3) are better than Black Ops at this point in their respective times. Sales are only less on the other platforms (handhelds, PC, Wii).

Top Bottom